Samsung is blocking users from customizing the Galaxy S8's Bixby button

captain_to_fire

Once their phones stop feeling like two bits of plastic, ditch the dumb settings UI, and ditch the curved edges i may take a passing glance. 

Their apps also cause issues with outlook 365 environments... 

On topic this will likely go the way of microsofts kinect 2. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

If I can't re-map that button then my pre-ordered S8+ will have a button I never use and occasionally (annoyingly) accidently press.

Why would anyone want to use Bixby when Google assistant is baked right into Android? I'll try it but I'm not convinced, feels redundant. 

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

8 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Any link from Samsung? I'm pretty sure if it was a new sensor Samsung should've talked about it in their Unpacked Event in NYC but it's pretty much the same sensor in GS7.

read the annotation, Samsung is focusing on more towards the average consumers like apple. 

I mean, I kinda expected even before this. But whatever.
Main turn off for me is they switched to edge only variant now. Never liked it, have regular S6 too. I suspect they will continue with that, that will make me look elsewhere.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

read the annotation, Samsung is focusing on more towards the average consumers like apple. 

Watched it. As nice as the review is (as expected from Michael Fisher), I don't think it refutes anything I said. The people who's going to like the new front facing camera are the conceited Instagram fame whores. Software wise, it still stutters despite having the best Snapdragon silicon at the moment and Bixby is more like a TouchWiz gimmick rather than being useful at all. The rear facing camera is more important and unfortunately, Samsung recycled last year's sensor for their 2017 flagship. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Watched it. As nice as the review is (as expected from Michael Fisher), I don't think it refutes anything I said. The people who's going to like the new front facing camera are the conceited Instagram fame whores. Software wise, it still stutters despite having the best Snapdragon silicon at the moment and Bixby is more like a TouchWiz gimmick rather than being useful at all. The rear facing camera is more important and unfortunately, Samsung recycled last year's sensor for their 2017 flagship. 

to be honest, most people are happy with the s7 it's still one of the best phones out right now, i agree with your opening. "Samsung recycled last year's sensor for their 2017 flagship" wrong information, its confirmed it's a new sensor. 

30 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Samsung recycled last year's sensor for their 2017 flagship" wrong information, its confirmed it's a new sensor. 

Confirmed by who? Au contraire... 

The Verge:

One spec that hasn’t changed since last year is the S8’s main camera, which is a 12-megapixel sensor behind a f/1.7 optically stabilized lens setup. Samsung has beefed up its software processing, using similar techniques as Apple and Google to provide better detailed images in low light, but the differences between this year’s camera and last year’s are negligible at best.

Engadget:

The 12-megapixel sensors on the back haven't changed much since last year. That's not a bad thing since they were great cameras to start with; just don't expect any huge jumps in quality. Photos were uniformly well-exposed with excellent color reproduction. And as always, these dual-pixel cameras focus incredibly fast, and the optical image stabilization does an excellent job keeping subjects crisp and clear. Low-light performance was in line with the S7 cameras, which is no surprise since they both have 1.4µm sensor pixels and f/1.7 apertures. Still, expect to see the occasional fuzzy edge and less-accurate focusing when it gets a little too dark. Samsung says it improved the processing pipeline so there's no lag between capturing a shot and being ready to snap the next.

Google searching isn't really that hard you know. ??‍♀️

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

21 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Google searching isn't really that hard you know. ??‍♀️

not like you can find any correct information, personal attacks aside mkbhd talked about it also was confirmed by teardown and part list, most of those website have outdated information. the reason Samsung didn't talk about the camera is that they are focusing more on the average users. 

s7-  Samsung's own S5K2L1 ISOCELL unit, or a piece by Sony, marked as IMX260.http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S7-ISOCELL-vs-Sony-IMX260-sensors-comparison-low-light-performance_id79400

s8 uses-  S5K3H1or IMX333

I get why they did it, they dont want bixby to go to waste, however i dont understand having a dedicated button for something like bixby. Maybe in the future when bixby's fate is determined we will get an update to remap.

Samsung wants people to use their software and hardware instead of Google's. This is no surprise to me.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Funny thing is: some people call this Apple-like, but Apple doesn't devote buttons exclusively to half-finished features.

If anything, this is classic Samsung.  The same company that regularly overestimates the value of its software (see: duplicating the functionality of Google apps) also believes its virtual assistant will be so useful that it dedicates a button just to that, and prevents you from remapping that button.

18 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Funny thing is: some people call this Apple-like, but Apple doesn't devote buttons exclusively to half-finished features.

If anything, this is classic Samsung.  The same company that regularly overestimates the value of its software (see: duplicating the functionality of Google apps) also believes its virtual assistant will be so useful that it dedicates a button just to that, and prevents you from remapping that button.

No. Samsung doesn't believe that. They know their software has shortcomings but they don't want to use Google's product.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. Samsung doesn't believe that. They know their software has shortcomings but they don't want to use Google's product.

But why doesn't Samsung want to use Google's product?  Because it believes that it can do better in the market by "differentiating" with its own apps and services, and that means believing that it can do a better job than Google, even if it doesn't always beat the Google option.

The problem with Bixby is that Samsung is clearly convinced that you'll be willing to use its assistant over Google's.  It may acknowledge that it doesn't have voice commands yet, but it really, really thinks it'll have an acceptable (if not superior) alternative when those are ready.  You have to have a high amount of confidence if you're committing a hardware button to one feature at the exclusion of all others.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

But why doesn't Samsung want to use Google's product?  Because it believes that it can do better in the market by "differentiating" with its own apps and services, and that means believing that it can do a better job than Google, even if it doesn't always beat the Google option.

The problem with Bixby is that Samsung is clearly convinced that you'll be willing to use its assistant over Google's.  It may acknowledge that it doesn't have voice commands yet, but it really, really thinks it'll have an acceptable (if not superior) alternative when those are ready.  You have to have a high amount of confidence if you're committing a hardware button to one feature at the exclusion of all others.

There are a few reasons why they want to use their own programs instead of Google's.

1) It differentiates themselves from other phones. If someone likes for example Bixby then they are less likely to change over to HTC or some other manufacturer.

2) It is (or at least used to be) a backup plan for Samsung. The reason why Samsung spent so much money developing their own OS such as Tizen was because they wanted to have a strategy for how to continue selling smartphones if Google for some reason screwed up Android. I think this is less of an issue today, but back in ~2011 when they started working on it, it was something they had to seriously consider.

3) They might be thinking of harvesting user data for whatever reasons. If you use Google services that data goes to Google instead of Samsung.

I don't think it's that Samsung thinks Bixby is better than Google Assistant. I think this is just one way for them to make sure people will acknowledge and possibility try it out. Or even worse, it might make people not realize Google Assistant is a thing.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

But why doesn't Samsung want to use Google's product?

It's not about differentiating.

Google doesn't want Samsung to have more control and Samsung doesn't want Google to have more control.

Samsung basically has a feud with Google. Google wants to be the boss of Android hardware and software and so does Samsung.

The problem is Google is the boss of software and Samsung is the boss of Hardware.

I get why they're doing it, and it's up to them to decide what the button does. Those that really, really care are going to root their phones and change it, those that don't know what rooting is won't care about the button anyway.

My bigger issue is that Samsung keeps making stupid, redundant services then try to push them on the user. Why does Bixby exist? Maybe in a world without Google Assistant, it would make sense. I get that they likely want to make money on the whole selling user data thing, but this is just a dumb service, plain and simple.

I wouldn't use Bixby at all, button or not. The only thing Assistant does for me is let me do some stuff when I can't touch the phone, like when I'm driving. Bixby is text input only, and surely typing in a query is going to be no faster than just doing the action myself, or typing it into Google search..

IMO if you have to force someone to use your service in this way, it basically means that the alternative is better and you have nothing to offer. If Bixby was some kind of amazing, Jarvis like AI, you wouldn't need a button, it would be so much better, we would all use it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

On 18/04/2017 at 3:39 PM, Jurrunio said:

But rooting viods warranty, sth more valuable than getting more customization options to some ppl.

Not really, if you able to restore to default boot loader/firmware/rom/recovery you should be fine. I was still able to get warranty claim (brand new replacement) after faulting battery issues, mind you i rooted and flash new rom first day i got the phone. Personally if you double check before flashing anything important such as recovery/firmware you should be fine.  

Magical Pineapples

45 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Not really, if you able to restore to default boot loader/firmware/rom/recovery you should be fine. I was still able to get warranty claim (brand new replacement) after faulting battery issues, mind you i rooted and flash new rom first day i got the phone. Personally if you double check before flashing anything important such as recovery/firmware you should be fine.  

Even if that's true, I think it is a shitty move to force people to root their phones just to remap a button.

It's just a bad way of shoving an unnecessary feature down users' throats.

I would much rather have been able to rebind that button to something useful like the camera.

It's not hard for Samsung to implement this feature, and giving the users that option would have made the phone better.

They are essentially sabotaging their own phone just to increase the odds of people using their crappy feature. If you need to sabotage your own product, then you have fucked up.

I'm just going to go ahead and guess that Bixby is going to be a piece of shit that no one will ever use over OK Google.  

I'm on iOS and even with the legendary Siri I only use her for basic shit like "set an alarm for" and "facetime call xyz".  It's not a make or break feature.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Even if that's true, I think it is a shitty move to force people to root their phones just to remap a button.

It's just a bad way of shoving an unnecessary feature down users' throats.

I would much rather have been able to rebind that button to something useful like the camera.

It's not hard for Samsung to implement this feature, and giving the users that option would have made the phone better.

They are essentially sabotaging their own phone just to increase the odds of people using their crappy feature. If you need to sabotage your own product, then you have fucked up.

I know it shouldn't be necessary thing to do but you hve to face it, most consumer won't care and people who does in most case will root their phone either way. It shit way to shoving down features we can't do anything apart from not buying the device. If you people buying the devices and complaining about the feature i don't care they would care much about this small problem as they already laughing holding your money. 

Magical Pineapples

All it takes to remap the Bixby button is a single app download. This is even less of an issue than the color calibration being skewed red on some devices, which itself is a non issue.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dave.bennett.bixremap&hl=en

If things like this are truly problematic and too much for you, then you have no business owning a device of this caliber.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -