Why do Youtubers fail to mention the issues with the Razer Blades?

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
24 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

And I've been using my Razer Blackwiddow alot longer then that, and I still haven't seen any of the issues that people complain about.

Not everyone will have problems with Razer shit, but it certainly seems like more have problems with Razer shit than they do with other less-flashy, less expensive brands.

There are a few reasons that Razer catches shit. One, they spend all of their money on marketing and continue to puke out overpriced laptops that die in six months and rebranded Kailh switch peripherals that they price like Torpres. Two, as has been pointed out here, there and everywhere with a "submit reply" button, their customer service is an absolute joke. Three, and perhaps most damningly, there are plenty of top-tier tech YouTube channels that swear by Razer products, "buy" Blades for their entire staff and generally put out glowing reviews of everything Razer that crosses their desk, be it a $100 keyboard that can be found without Razer branding for $40 on AliExpress or the new model of a laptop that had a 20% fail rate within the first six months of ownership in the previous generation. No one mentions that Razer has quality control issues, or that their products are literally just flashy lipstick on a bloated hog with stomach cancer. That very naturally, very understandably invites the question: how much of Razer's seemingly unlimited marketing budget makes its way straight into the pockets of big-name reviewers, either by way of keeping the cherry-picked review unit(s), picking up sponsorship opportunities on the channel, just straight cutting them a check and/or any or all of the above.

If Razer was universally (or even by a majority) praised for their high quality gear that lasts forever and is totally worth the inflated price, then I doubt you'd see those questions asked. Because so, so many people who've bought a Razer laptop go onto Reddit, here, wherever and share their tales of woe and why they'll never buy it again, and because Razer takes the cheapest, shittiest materials they can find and charges a premium price for them, the same few reviewers always having nothing but nice things to say about a brand with very real problems makes the question of why reviewers don't point any of that out one worth asking.

I did tons of research with my most recent laptop purchase, and ended up going with the Sager NP8157 / Clevo P650HS-G. 

However, before I bought this laptop, I was seriously looking at the Razerblade -- I was actually just waiting for the 'ok' on this forum to make the relatively large purchase. However, I never received the 'ok' and was steered away from the purchase. I then came to learn, from other sources then Youtube, the issues that came with the blade including temperatures, throttling, quality control and more. 

Getting to the point -- I never saw a negative review truly mentioning any of these issues, maybe brushing over them. This includes LTT, David Lee, and many others. Since Linus bought so many, I would of assumed he would of come across these issues, but he never did, or he failed to mention them.

Is there any explanation? I was so damn close to making the purchase, but never did thanks to this forum. Is it simply the Youtubers didn't test the laptops enough, or is it the whole sponsorship/endorsement aspect of the review? Is Razer 'silencing' them?

Please enlighten me! 

Because

A) they got them for free and are either told to or feel like they should not be too harsh

or

B) their review is done right when they unbox or start using it, when they don't have any issues yet

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

most youtube spend vary little time with a device to know the flaws, promotions and free products also help smoothen out the deal. razer is a company that have captured all the major YouTubers, even if they make a bad product most YouTubers won't say anything bad. 

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because

A) they got them for free and are either told to or feel like they should not be too harsh

or

B) their review is done right when they unbox or start using it, when they don't have any issues yet

probably controlled devices, units most YouTubers receive are checked to see if everything works before shipping or get a binned one. 

Because they literally pull it out of the box, turn it on and start reviewing. The many, varied and spectacular problems with Razer shit typically manifest after a few months. By that time, the reviewers have long since repackaged them and sent them back to Razer, where they've most likely been sold off as "new".

Or, and even more likely in the case of big channels like Austin Evans and (sorry bro) Linus, they're simply being paid and/or allowed to keep the laptop in exchange for their "fair and unbiased" review.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Do you guys really think someone like @LinusTech would have made this laptop his daily driver if it was this bad, he literally has the pick of ANY laptop he wants and he sees the blades competition daily so could switch at any point. 

I agree there might be a temp issues but the ones you highlighted above plague most of the top models that compete with the blade, I'm saying compete as you can't throw the big badass Asus and MSI into a comparison when they are 3 blades thick. Apples to apples. Not saying razer is perfect, I do personally like them as I've had few issues, even bought a MSI Apache over the blade myself but not for thew reasons you stated above.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Do you guys really think someone like @LinusTech would have made this laptop his daily driver if it was this bad, he literally has the pick of ANY laptop he wants and he sees the blades competition daily so could switch at any point. 

I agree there might be a temp issues but the ones you highlighted above plague most of the top models that compete with the blade, I'm saying compete as you can't throw the big badass Asus and MSI into a comparison when they are 3 blades thick. Apples to apples. Not saying razer is perfect, I do personally like them as I've had few issues, even bought a MSI Apache over the blade myself but not for thew reasons you stated above.  

This is not to mention he bought one for each of his staff members back in December

6 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

This is not to mention he bought one for each of his staff members back in December

So they've got about three more good months before that legendary Razer quality kicks in and they all go to shit.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

So they've got about three more good months before that legendary Razer quality kicks in and they all go to shit.

And I've been using my Razer Blackwiddow alot longer then that, and I still haven't seen any of the issues that people complain about.

Razer is probably the brand that most spends in marketing there is, no wonder many include myself calls it the Apple of PCs

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Razer is probably the brand that most spends in marketing there is, no wonder many include myself calls it the Apple of PCs

apple at least has good quality, my 2013 15 inch MacBook pro retina has been performing well with no issues. 

6 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

reddit is not so lucky, 

IMG_8618.jpg

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

apple at least has good quality, my 2013 15 inch MacBook pro retina has been performing well with no issues. 

reddit is not so lucky, 

IMG_8618.jpg

I have the luck of the Irish, meaning if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I understand people have had bad experiences, but who hasn't had a bad experience with one brand or another?

2 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I have the luck of the Irish, meaning if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I understand people have had bad experiences, but who hasn't had a bad experience with one brand or another?

you do have to admit more people are having problems with razer laptops in the long run. i understand from an engineering perspective cramming that much power into a small body is bad especially in the long run. 

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you do have to admit more people are having problems with razer laptops in the long run. i understand from an engineering perspective cramming that much power into a small body is bad especially in the long run. 

Im not denying it. I don't like apple. I don't quite know exactly what it is, but I don't like their products. That's my personal preference. My brother and sister in law love them. I understand that they have some things they really need to work on, but that's the lottery.

24 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Not everyone will have problems with Razer shit, but it certainly seems like more have problems with Razer shit than they do with other less-flashy, less expensive brands.

There are a few reasons that Razer catches shit. One, they spend all of their money on marketing and continue to puke out overpriced laptops that die in six months and rebranded Kailh switch peripherals that they price like Torpres. Two, as has been pointed out here, there and everywhere with a "submit reply" button, their customer service is an absolute joke. Three, and perhaps most damningly, there are plenty of top-tier tech YouTube channels that swear by Razer products, "buy" Blades for their entire staff and generally put out glowing reviews of everything Razer that crosses their desk, be it a $100 keyboard that can be found without Razer branding for $40 on AliExpress or the new model of a laptop that had a 20% fail rate within the first six months of ownership in the previous generation. No one mentions that Razer has quality control issues, or that their products are literally just flashy lipstick on a bloated hog with stomach cancer. That very naturally, very understandably invites the question: how much of Razer's seemingly unlimited marketing budget makes its way straight into the pockets of big-name reviewers, either by way of keeping the cherry-picked review unit(s), picking up sponsorship opportunities on the channel, just straight cutting them a check and/or any or all of the above.

If Razer was universally (or even by a majority) praised for their high quality gear that lasts forever and is totally worth the inflated price, then I doubt you'd see those questions asked. Because so, so many people who've bought a Razer laptop go onto Reddit, here, wherever and share their tales of woe and why they'll never buy it again, and because Razer takes the cheapest, shittiest materials they can find and charges a premium price for them, the same few reviewers always having nothing but nice things to say about a brand with very real problems makes the question of why reviewers don't point any of that out one worth asking.

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Yeah haha. With throttles so bad it seems the hardware starts dying

at, or around the 1 year mark, just after warranty. :/ 

16 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

This is a pretty bad point. I've had a Razer Blade Deathadder for about two years now. Never had any problems whatsoever. This does not mean I am not going to face problems with there other products. I bought a blackwidow and it 'failed' after 3 months, didn't even bother contacting support due to prior experience with them. 

41 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because they're paid to promote them

what do you expect?!

I agree in a way, but also disagree. Remember the Astros review, pretty negative right? But the unit was also supplied by Astro? And the Q&A's where Linus says the company's have no right to tell him to like/dislike a product. I personally think it's a little from the sponsorship, as of course he doesn't want to bash it, but also the units he's receiving. They have clearly been checked for quality. 

1 minute ago, monjanger said:

I personally think it's a little from the sponsorship, as of course he doesn't want to bash it, but also the units he's receiving. They have clearly been checked for quality. 

that's the answer, no one bites the hand that feeds them. 

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Damn dude. You summed it up pretty well. Kudos to you.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's the answer, no one bites the hand that feeds them. 

I like this to. Definitely going to use it in the future. 

1 minute ago, monjanger said:

I agree in a way, but also disagree. Remember the Astros review, pretty negative right? But the unit was also supplied by Astro? And the Q&A's where Linus says the company's have no right to tell him to like/dislike a product. I personally think it's a little from the sponsorship, as of course he doesn't want to bash it, but also the units he's receiving. They have clearly been checked for quality. 

one thing is to receive review samples and quite another is for Linus to be part of Razer's presentations and having constant sponsor deals from them

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

No one mentions that Razer has quality control issues, or that their products are literally just flashy lipstick on a bloated hog with stomach cancer.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/

I raise you this. Razer deliberately putting shit components in their shit laptops to force breakdown so people will buy a new one after the 1 year warranty is over. Also their RBP with a 1080 being slower than a 1070 and their RAID0 config being broken from the start and overheats causing BSODS.

2 hours ago, monjanger said:

Since Linus bought so many, I would of assumed he would of come across these issues, but he never did, or he failed to mention them.

Cherry picked and office machines. When a major tech influencer places an order for a batch of blades, you better be damn sure Razer picks the best units for them and runs them through a battery of tests to make sure they're the good ones. Also it's pretty disgusting how much influence Razer has on review sites. One HUGE example you can point to is Notebookcheck not having temperature stress tests on Razer Blades. Hello? Every single laptop they run their absolutely disgusting Furmark + Prime95 but the Razer gets a pass. They post a screenshot of them running it with all the temps hidden. They finally posted 1 screenshot after pressure from the community on their newest review but their old ones still don't have stress tests. Even the new one doesn't have the traditional Unigine Heaven or anything test because they know it will fuck the blade over in terms of performance. 

side note: benchmarks are useless from all your fav youtubers because they are run ONCE. The CPU and GPU have barely warmed up and started to throttle for the blade before they claim it's GOOD. Solid performance. When you run a sustained bench on these things like the guys on NBR do, it's just thermal throttle galore with the 1060 in the blade barely keeping pace with a 1050ti OCed heavily on a Clevo. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

Im not denying it. I don't like apple. I don't quite know exactly what it is, but I don't like their products. That's my personal preference. My brother and sister in law love them. I understand that they have some things they really need to work on, but that's the lottery.

serious quality issues