Super Mario Run is online-only to "Combat Piracy"

Pyrii
4 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

My guess is most people playing this game will be kids or young adults/teens

The majority not even knowing what DRM means. And people using it on a school bus or city bus and will probably have wifi.

It's not this is the first app that requires I ternet. You don't see people crying when they can't play clash of clans because it's a server based online only game.

And if they can deal with they why is this such a big deal? Just becase it could be played offline? 

There are plenty others runner games you can play while you wait like subway surfers.

This honesty doesnt matter is should not be a big deal. You know you don't have to complain about stuff like this.

We need more company's that don't push over becase everyone complains. DRM or not it will still make bank.

It's just man child's who give a fuck about this like this. Of a five your old can deal with it I think a grown adult or teen can.

A lot of kids don't have a smartphone, but they do have an iPod touch or an old parents iPhone (without internet). And, most buses (especially school buses) don't have wifi.

There's a difference between an online game requiring internet and a local game requiring internet. 

DRM is awful and doesn't prevent piracy (to any meaningful extent). It's just an inconvenience for everyone who planned to buy it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, MANIDY inc said:

On no a company does t want to lose money to pirates you. Etter get all mad and protest.

Grow some balls and stop Bitiching. Just testing out the waters with anti pricey stuff. Wifi if around all over who care if you need to connected.

All I see are people crying over BS.

If you don't have data you more then likely never go out or when you do it's to a friend's or other food or someshit. Some time when you don't need to be playing a game or have time.

Walk by McDonald's and see their wifi. Or get data or if your a kid you can't complain about that aspect because you literarily can't do a thing about it.

Complaining is the first thing anyone does now. Annoying af

Thing is, EA has tried to do this before and they got tons of shit for it. Pretty sure online-only for games that could be played without the arbitrary lock is the kind of shit that makes people pirate games.

Nobody is "crying over BS", and we don't need to "grow some balls and stop bitching".

I guarantee you the only reason they're doing this is because of the way them and Niantic made Pokemon GO in such a way that actually encouraged people to use "hacks" to actually enjoy the game.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Bullshit. Pirates will pirate it anyway. This only makes the experience worse for paying customers. There are perfectly good reasons not to have a data plan or want to keep it off.  Not to mention there are places where the signal is not good enough.

It's funny you'd say "if you're a kid" as if one of the main audiences of mario games weren't kids.

Complaining is what we do when we don't want to get screwed by greedy and stupid corporations, you should try it.

Dude it's a running game. There are already rip off Mario ones in the store. Go play one if your that butt hurt.

Or go play a better one like mega run.

And if you dont have a data plan your probably too poor to afford the game in the first place.  Aka you ask mommy and daddy for it becase you have no job.

And most KIDS have data so

Your saying becase people will priate no matter what just stop trying to prevent it? Okay please leave your car unlocked so I can just rob you.

Complaining is what you do when you have  nothing better in life to do.

And before you say it. Yes I have nothing  better to do ATM then to complain about you. 

Everyone should own a vive.

4 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

And most KIDS have data so

Your saying becase people will priate no matter what just stop trying to prevent it? Okay please leave your car unlocked so I can just rob you.

Most ten year olds don't have a smartphone. Stop being delusional. 

Locking my car doesn't inconvenience everyone around me. How about a car that automatically locks itself (and shuts down) if the GPS can't see it (have fun in a tunnel).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Thing is, EA has tried to do this before and they got tons of shit for it. Pretty sure online-only for games that could be played without the arbitrary lock is the kind of shit that makes people pirate games.

Nobody is "crying over BS", and we don't need to "grow some balls and stop bitching".

I guarantee you the only reason they're doing this is because of the way them and Niantic made Pokemon GO in such a way that actually encouraged people to use "hacks" to actually enjoy the game.

The thing is this is an app. For a phone. 

If this was a AAA game that cost $60 and let's say is single player but you need to be online to play then I get it that's dumb. Expressly if it was for a portable system 

But this is an app so you can go and play the hundreds of other running apps and get the same experience if you want. I do t see threads a out clash of clans being online only  and people crying about that.

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

But this is an app so you can go and play the hundreds of other running apps and get the same experience if you want. I do t see threads a out clash of clans being online only  and people crying about that.

Again....Clash of Clans is a multiplayer only game. Mario Run is a single player game that requires an internet connection for no reason. There is a difference. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 12/9/2016 at 0:52 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Most ten year olds don't have a smartphone. Stop being delusional. 

Locking my car doesn't inconvenience everyone around me. 

Lol most 10 year olds don't have smartphones. I get I grew up in a nicer neighborhood. But when I was in school still 2 years ago when I rode the bus. 80% of the elementry school kids had a smartphone. Hell just go on musicly and you'll see millions of 10 year olds with smart phones.

On 12/9/2016 at 0:54 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Again....Clash of Clans is a multiplayer only game. Mario Run is a single player game that requires an internet connection for no reason. There is a difference. 

Yes I get that but they could have a single player option where you can just change your base or something like that. And have it sync when you get back online.

But in the end it's Nintendos option. Will it be reverted? probably just becase people who will probably never play the game are going to complain before launch.

7 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Lol most 10 year olds don't have smartphones. I get I grew up in a nicer neighborhood. But when I was in school still 2 years ago when I rode the bus. 80% of the elementry school kids had a smartphone. Hell just go on musicly and you'll see millions of 10 year olds with smart phones.

Yeah.....actual statistical data seems to disagree with you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah.....actual statistical data seems to disagree with you. 

Maybe I just dont live in a poor mans world like you. But I see kids that's look to age from 8-13 on smartphones Everytime I leave my house. Weather it be out to eat or at the grocery store.

You know most phone company's have deals where you can get free phones. And most of the time Ifni family has kids that free phone goes to the kid. 

I just upgraded my plan and got two free galaxy on5's from it. One per phone line 

I also said on my bus. So idk how you have statics about kids with phones who road the same bus as me xD

3 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Maybe I just dont live in a poor mans world like you. But I see kids that's look to age from 8-13 on smartphones Everytime I leave my house. Weather it be out to eat or at the grocery store.

You know most phone company's have deals where you can get free phones. And most of the time Ifni family has kids that free phone goes to the kid. 

I also said on my bus. So idk how you have statics about kids with phones who road the same bus as me xD

You should probably not try and be a smart ass if you can't even spell WHETHER. 

And no, I wouldn't exactly say I live in a "poor man's world", just a non self-deluded one.

A lot of phone companies have deals, but that still doesn't account for the cost of service, or the fact that an eight-year old shouldn't have a smartphone. 

Statistics on phone usage in general is a lot more important than an anecdotal, and likely highly skewed, set of statistics based on an irrelevantly small sample size -- WHERE you don't even know whether or not a device is actually connected to a network, or if it's just being used without phone capabilities. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You should probably not try and be a smart ass if you can't even spell WHETHER. 

And no, I wouldn't exactly say I live in a "poor man's world", just a non self-deluded one.

A lot of phone companies have deals, but that still doesn't account for the cost of service, or the fact that an eight-year old shouldn't have a smartphone. 

Statistics on phone usage in general is a lot more important than an anecdotal, and likely highly skewed, set of statistics based on an irrelevantly small sample size -- WHERE you don't even know whether or not a device is actually connected to a network, or if it's just being used without phone capabilities. 

Well I'm going off what I see in my day to day life. And for the small town of 20k that I live in most kids have phones.

More for a call me/911 if anything bad happens situation. At least that's the reason I got my first phone at age 9. Now that was a old phone where the screen wasnt even in color.

And another thing is remember the whole pokemon go craze? Well I did that too and guess what? I saw a lot of young looking kids going from pokestop to pokestop alone.  Now I have no way of knowing their age but they had to walk or bike so I'd assume young expesily for what most looked like 

Maybe it's just becase my town has been ranked as top 5 safest and top 10 best towns or whatever the rankings were. That's just usually stuff (kids walking around alone) like 10 and up id say. 

Obviously, Nintendo has very limited experience in open environments such as IOS/Android and PC. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Is nintendo stupid. I mean in japan they have subways. maybe all their subways have cellular signal but I can say New York city does not.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just Nintendo being Nintendo...nothing unusual.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 hour ago, MANIDY inc said:

Well all the games I've torrented in the past have been from GOG so that's lost out money lol.

But I think hating DRM is a bandwagon thing. I have no isses with any DRM enabled game I play. Not slower not having issues and whatnot.

I've only had issues with torrented games like cant change FOV in some because it's not legit and stuff like that.

And now I have made my text all weird somehow. Didn't know mobile could do this lol 

Then that was your decision. There will be always people who will pirate it no matter what. And BTW 1 download =/=lost sale, not all pirate would shell out the money for it if he/she cant download it ;) . But the 2 company i mentioned proven that great success can be achieved without any DRM if the product is great and has a reasonable price tag ;) .

Nintendo has such archaic practices. It's getting ridiculous. I wonder how the management hasn't realized how far behind they are. 

34 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Is nintendo stupid. I mean in japan they have subways. maybe all their subways have cellular signal but I can say New York city does not.

good point, I hadn't even considered that since we don't have a subway in my town.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

what happens if you're in the subway, on a cruise, or on a plane?

Also, it is available on the iPod touch/ipad (i assume).

This.  

I do play some games on my iPad so for me requiring an Internet connection would be a problem if I wasn't near wifi.

My iPhone doesn't get a useful cell data connection everywhere.  Pretty much anytime I go into a mall for example I go from full bars and LTE to like 1 bar and what shows as 3G but must not be because nothing works on it or x1 whatever that is.  

So even on my iPhone a data connection isn't always a sure thing.  

Always online makes gsmes worse not better.  Starcraft 2 and C&C4 are two others that come to mind and I hate that I can't play any games if my internet has a problem.   

Though C&C4 is 100% garbage so I guess I don't care that much about it at least.  

That grin when you have unlimited data and have no cares in the world about "always online"

There's no way that the game would suddenly stop mid-run if your connection drops and with most apps you can wait a bit to come back and send the results to move on. Y'all are just mad cause DRM, would you rather have a free app with malware infecting ads? Then again if you aren't going to be playing it then why are you mad in the first place?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

23 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

That grin when you have unlimited data and have no cares in the world about "always online"

There's no way that the game would suddenly stop mid-run if your connection drops and with most apps you can wait a bit to come back and send the results to move on. Y'all are just mad cause DRM, would you rather have a free app with malware infecting ads? Then again if you aren't going to be playing it then why are you mad in the first place?

Thats exactly what would happen. Thats what happens with games on PC with always online drm. 

No one cares about your unlimited data, as its not about the data being consumed that people are upset about.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Thats exactly what would happen. Thats what happens with games on PC with always online drm. 

No one cares about your unlimited data, as its not about the data being consumed that people are upset about.

PCs can get away with that behavior since they're much less mobile than a phone or tablet, comparing PC to Mobile is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Though, if it turns out Super Mario Run does indeed behave this way then I'll be right there with you protesting this decision.

And apparently you do care about my unlimited data, because you responded to that part of my comment, and contrary to what you might think I can assure you that there will be some who would be upset by data consumption.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

what happens if you're in the subway, on a cruise, or on a plane?

Also, it is available on the iPod touch/ipad (i assume).

even trains, most of my comute is dataless the moment the trains leaves a city and you only have the countryside till the next station

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Is that the generic auto-scroll mobile game that's just a Mario themed reskin? I love you Nintendo, but you're painfully behind the times when it comes to the Internet. 

It's not hard to bi-pass online verification tools so long as the game doesn't have a multiplayer focus, and even then you can often override the multiplayer functionality if the game has any sort of lan support (though the last part applies more so to PC than phones)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 hours ago, MANIDY inc said:

Grow some balls and stop Bitiching.

If only I could grow a cellphone access point with unlimited data out of my ass though, I wouldn't bitch.

I'm sure Level1 Wendell could figure something out for this set up though so jury is still not out on the idea.

-------

Current Rig

-------