NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reviews + Benchmarks

HKZeroFive

So... did nVidia beat AMD at their own game, p/p? From reading around, it sure seems like it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So... did nVidia beat AMD at their own game, p/p? From reading around, it sure seems like it.

According to Hardware Unboxed, the RX 480 4gb is the best p/p card out, followed by AiB 1060's, then the RX 480 8gb, followed by the 1060 FE.  I'm actually curious where the RX 470 at $150 with 380x OC performance will sit in p2p.  That might be the real budget champion card, there. $249-300 might be cheap/ low end for a graphics card on this forum, but to a lot of people that's too much for one component. If you can get 80% of the performance for ~50-70% of the cost, many will go that way. 

JayzTwoCents already had a $260 EVGA Superclocked in which the 480 couldn't touch in any of his benchmarks. I would say at least in the States NVIDIA has it in the bag, especially with us still waiting for custom 480s.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I rally like to know what the fuck are you on about!? 1000EUROS

the Eurozone prices differ from country to country as we have different VAT %

Well YOU said we have to wait for worldwide prices.

Which would mean that you just said that you can't draw any conclusions before knowing the prices everywhere.

Makes complete sense, but you also said the rx 480 is obsolete.

Which would ONLY make sense if it has something related to pricing.

So again, explain me why an rx 480 is obsolete WITHOUT anything related to pricing.

Having a cooler, quieter and more efficient card is nice, but if the price is completely stupid it's completely irrelevant.

edit: i live in the EU and in my country pricing is screwed, everything costs 300+ euros, some 1060's cost flippin 380 euros.
So what i do is look at other locations in the EU because you know, no import taxes between EU countries, that's a nice thing about the EU.

The VAT% difference between countries is usually only a few % and if you place an international order, the VAT% will be changed to the VAT of your country.

So in the end it's the price excluding VAT that you have to compare between different countries. Also don't forget shipping costs because they might change wildly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It all looks good until DX12 and Vulkan are mentioned...

Called it 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Just curious...How does the 290x-290 crossfire compare to the 295x2 in benches and such?

The only cards I can find are around 1400-1600 AED around here (MSRP is around 1100); pricing seems to be as bad as the 1070/1080.

Edit: The RX 480 seems to sit around 100 USD less for the 8GB version, so their at advantage here for now.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

14 minutes ago, FatalityDiablo said:

You guys need to calm down, god damn it... I hoped to buy a rx480 aswell, but I am honest with myself and it is kind of obvious that going with the 1060, unfortunately, is the better value for the money. I can get a 1060 SC for the same price as the reference 480 ...As I am not responsable for AMDs profit, I will not get a facutal worse product, simply to support them - It is about what profits me the most. I hope Vega will be another story, I really do.

Wow this post is like a deja vu to me, i think i've seen similar post when AMD released the 290s but it was against the 780s back in 2013.  xD

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

34 minutes ago, zMeul said:

AMD has traditionally fucked up pricing in EU, where I live - a RX480 is more expensive than a custom GTX970

we haven't, yet, seen founders or custom GTX1060 prices

Where I live all 970 are more expensive than the sapphire rx 480,  and I'm in Europe as well, so that's not a rule.

1060 here in the philippines is 300 usd for the Zotac and Palit cards. :)

while the reference 380 is still around 285 usd. :(

(both are tax inclusive already)

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Very nice indeed. Probably going to buy it assuming the price in Sweden isn't as stupid as the price of the 480.

Not sure abou Sweden, but prices here seem to be above MSRP (MSRP is 1100 AED, prices are more or less at 1400-1600), and it seems to be the same thing according to some posters in Europe and Australia.

Edit: The RX 480 seems to sit around 100 USD less for the 8GB version, so their at advantage here for now.

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, kokobash said:

1060 here in the philippines is 300 usd for the Zotac and Palit cards. :)

while the reference 380 is still around 285 usd. :(

(both are tax inclusive already)

300 USD is pretty good.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

300 USD is pretty good.

yeah i was quite surprised that it didnt went for a "premium" "newly" released gpu like what they did with the rx480, 1070 and 1080

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Nvidia obviously spread all the extra cost of the new gen to all the customers.

They need to upgrade their factory, their machinery, cos it is 14nm right now.  

I guess to prevent profit declines, and stock prices go down, they make the pascal card cost more than last gen.

So.. I think that's why they charge you more. 

From a customer's perspective you get a huge performance jump from last gen, (960-1060 970-1070 980-1080 etc), and from nvidia's perspective they set the prices high to gain more profit. There is nothing wrong with that. 

First off, Pascal is 16nm, and NV does not make a single chip. It's all contracted to the guys at TSMC, who've been fabbing chips at 16nm a long time before Pascal launched. Then they're sent to Chinese factories who are contracted by Nvidia to assemble them with the PCB. The contractors pay for the tooling and machinery, then NV selects the best factory to manufacture the cards. Nvidia does not own a single Graphics Card production line.

They're charging more than usual for the 1080 and 1070 because they have no competitors, simple as. A 1080 is supposed to be in the £400-500 price range and the 1070 around £300. As we've seen with FE cards they can get away with highway robbery and be praised for it. They sold out faster than any other generation. In a healthy industry, tech is supposed either to get faster and/or cheaper every generation. We've only seen that with the RX 480 and 1060 because they compete with each other. Nvidia's profit margin is so thick you could land a plane on it. 

And of course there's something wrong with it. Intel is releasing their enthusiast chip for $1700. Do you think Nvidia will release the enthusiast Titan P and the 1080 Ti at a reasonable price, knowing they could get away with BS prices on their mid range and high end cards? 

51 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well YOU said we have to wait for worldwide prices.

Which would mean that you just said that you can't draw any conclusions before knowing the prices everywhere.

I already drew a conclusion based on US pricing, NOT MSRP pricing but actual AIB cards pricing

but yes, depending where you live it can be cheaper to buy a reference RX480 or a custom GTX1060

take India for example:

Zotac GTX 1060 AMP - 25000INR

reference RX480 - 27000INR

as someone said earlier, nVidia beat AMD at their own game

55 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

According to Hardware Unboxed, the RX 480 4gb is the best p/p card out

he's comparing it against Founders, and that is quite expensive

EVGA has a custom GTX1060 SC for 260$

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I already drew a conclusion based on US pricing, NOT MSRP pricing but actual AIB cards pricing

but yes, depending where you live it can be cheaper to buy a reference RX480 or a custom GTX1060

take India for example:

Zotac GTX 1060 AMP - 25000INR

reference RX480 - 27000INR

as someone said earlier, nVidia beat AMD at their own game

Well as we know the us pricing isn't everything so you can't base a conclusion that's correct for the whole world with pricing being a complete mess all over the world.

The indian example is a good one that clearly shows US pricing isn't a good one to make such conclusion.

And i don't completely agree with that last thing.

nVidia did indeed beat AMD at their own game, not everywhere in the world.

In Europe as you have clearly figured out it's a complete mess and it's still anybody's game depending where you live and if you are prepared to order internationally.

Don't know about asia tho. Maybe it's different there, i have no clue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Did you read the rest of my post?  He compared it to aib cards at 249, reference 480 8gb at 239, and FE at 300.

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

LTT released their 1060 review and the 480 is still the winner in terms of its price to performance. :) 

7-10% more performance for 20-25% more money.

As soon as people fanboy over it, ill expect $300+ for decent AIBs. As soon as they run out of stock, prices will jack up, order them while they are at MSRP people, personally I'd wait for AIB 480's, as I think they will perform similar.

To me, comes down to the future. Do you want more performance in future games with Vulkan, DX12? More VRAM? FreeSync that is easily $200-$300 cheaper? Come on people, don't just look at the performance, 40Ws? Lmao, turn your light off and it'll balance it out.

I'll take maybe a 5 FPS loss over getting more performance in the future, freesync, ECT.

I've used NVIDIA software, both companies have shit software.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, kokobash said:

LTT released their 1060 review and the 480 is still the winner in terms of its price to performance. :) 

I don't watch LTT's videocard reviews anymore

I saw PCPer's and they mentioned EVGA's pricing of 260$ while a 8Gb RX480 is ~240$

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

the custom coolers for rx480 will make them cool and quiet. But it won't change the fact that gtx1060 is faster in majority of games. Expect a minor price cut from AMD as they attempt to better position the rx480 as price/perf card.

And chances are the custom RX 480 will cost more than the reference one (at least that's how it usually was until Nvidia started pulling this FE crap). So the custom 480 might be the same in terms of noise and temps as the 1060, but then it will cost more and perform worse.

AMD might not need to do a price cut. All they really need to do is get the stock of the 4GB model fixed. 200 dollar 4GB 480 vs 250 dollar 6GB 1060 would probably hand the price:performance win to AMD. At 240 dollars vs ~260 (or whatever the aftermarket 1060s are suppose to cost) then Nvidia wins.

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Not sure abou Sweden, but prices here seem to be above MSRP (MSRP is 1100 AED, prices are more or less at 1400-1600), and it seems to be the same thing according to some posters in Europe and Australia.

I looked up the Swedish prices. In Sweden the 1060 is a no braner.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

MSI 1060 - 2900 SEK

RX 480 - 2800 SEK

So in Sweden the 1060 costs 3.5% more, performs 10% better, overclocks better, runs cooler, runs quieter, and has better software support. The RX 480 is dead to me, unless the custom cooler versions somehow flips the tables completely, and costs less. The chances of that happening are close to 0 though.

The key word there is "in Sweden" though. It seems like it varies a lot from country to country, so it's foolish to make any broad statements like "the 480 is better in price:performance", or "the 1060 is more expensive".