NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reviews + Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
4 minutes ago, Supermangik said:

He benchmark games that are known to use Game works library for nVidia, and he leaves out games that uses AMD technology like Tomb Raider and Doom. It seriously doesn't make any sense why he does this except he's always pro-nVidia. The real tests comes when DX12/Vulkan is released and games make use of it.

He has a pretty lengthy explanation in the comments tackling some of the accusations.

The GTX 1060 beats the RX 480 by a good margin in ROTTR.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, Supermangik said:

He benchmark games that are known to use Game works library for nVidia, and he leaves out games that uses AMD technology like Tomb Raider and Doom. It seriously doesn't make any sense why he does this except he's always pro-nVidia. The real tests comes when DX12/Vulkan is released and games make use of it.

And I'm fine with that observation. I'm not defending the persons stance on gpu brands. I was just saying he did put a disclaimer that his AMD numbers would be especially bad in this comparison. It reflects poorly on the person who would use this comparison without properly qualifying the statement. 

Der8auer (search youtube) Oc'd his Gainward 1060 pretty crazy even tho he didn't have official drivers.  He got as high as 2230 Core and almost 10,000 effective memory with no voltage adjustments on only air,  Then did a voltage mod and could not get much higher than that

3 hours ago, Supermangik said:

I think it's unprofessional of him but not malicious: he just s doesn't has those games. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I love the apples to oranges comparisons. 

People AND THIS TIME EVEN LINUS, are comparing a RX 480 8gb at min price vs a GTX 1060 FE at max price.

Uhm, yeah, i guess you could do that if you are into marketing.

How about we look at real world prices tho?

For one:

I fail to find a RX 480 anywhere close to 249$ in germany.

The cheapest i saw as of yesterday was sold for 289 Euro and dropped to 269 as of today. (I wonder why)

Then i fail to see why anyone would buy a 1060 FE, if partner cards are cooler, faster AND less noisy while also being cheaper. So clearly comparing to the FE price is,.. not a really useful thing to do. A few differend models of the GTX 1060 sell for 279 Euro as of today.

So the GTX 1060 is 5-25% faster, 10 wooping bugs more expensive, draws less power, is less noisy and heats up the room less.

Leaving out all the fanboyism, those are the facts for germany as of today. Easy pick right there. Differences will vary from country to country, so check your own prices. And as sad as it makes me: Don't trust LTT review this time. They disclosed their partnership with AMD a while back and before even watching the video i was SURE to see an apples to oranges comparison. And sadly that is exactly what we got.

3 hours ago, Supermangik said:

couple of points

-doom and rise of tomb raider have no AMD tech

-Vulkan and DX12 are already released

41 minutes ago, Humbug said:

-doom and rise of tomb raider have no AMD tech

DOOM no but ROTTR has Pure Hair (not that it really makes a difference in benchmarks).

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

I love the apples to oranges comparisons. 

People AND THIS TIME EVEN LINUS, are comparing a RX 480 8gb at min price vs a GTX 1060 FE at max price.

Uhm, yeah, i guess you could do that if you are into marketing.

For one:

The cheapest i saw as of yesterday was sold for 289 Euro and dropped to 269 as of today. (I wonder why)

Then i fail to see why anyone would buy a 1060 FE, if partner cards are cooler, faster AND less noisy while also being cheaper. So clearly comparing to the FE price is,.. not a really useful thing to do. A few differend models of the GTX 1060 sell for 279 Euro as of today.

So the GTX 1060 is 5-25% faster, 10 wooping bugs more expensive, draws less power, is less noisy and heats up the room less.

Leaving out all the fanboyism, those are the facts for germany as of today. Easy pick right there. Differences will vary from country to country, so check your own prices. And as sad as it makes me: Don't trust LTT review this time. They disclosed their partnership with AMD a while back and before even watching the video i was SURE to see an apples to oranges comparison. And sadly that is exactly what we got.

Both the GTX 1060 and RX 480 is considered "reference" models, thus why they are compared... not AIB... price not being part of it at all...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

1 minute ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Both the GTX 1060 and RX 480 is considered "reference" models, thus why they are compared... not AIB... price not being part of it at all...

480 reference has 2 different tiers (4gb and 8gb) at 2 different price points though. Might not seem like a lot but when the competition is this close, it's important to mention.

-------

Current Rig

-------

37 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

And comparing "reference" if noone in their right mind is buying said reference is considered useful because,...?

I like to compare stuff that actually ends up in my rig.

So i am looking for benchmarks of cards that are actually sold and not cards that are there for testing only. 

This includes:

Real prices => not some "it should be" prices.

Being OCed to the limit => RX480 for exampe barly overclocks at all, so AIB won't kill it either. GTX 1060 overclocks like a beast, so we can expect improvements over current benchmarks.

Models that are actually interesting => Founders Cards look fancy and thats about it. They are sold for that price so AIB can actually sell cards at all. They need a reason to invest in better cooling solutions ect. If NVidia would sell a great solution at a great price,.. why would anyone spend money / time on improving it?

Don't get me wrong here. Apart from the drama the RX480 had and the over the top marketing crap AMD likes to pull off,... the card is actually a great card. It just so happens that with german prices in mind the 1060 beats it hands down in every aspect but some single DX 12 games. Since i don't care about price / performance as much as i care about noice and heat i would have gone with an NVidia card anyways. This time around NVidia just happens to beat AMD even on the P/P front (in my country) /shrug.

3 hours ago, Gullerback said:

Der8auer (search youtube) Oc'd his Gainward 1060 pretty crazy even tho he didn't have official drivers.  He got as high as 2230 Core and almost 10,000 effective memory with no voltage adjustments on only air,  Then did a voltage mod and could not get much higher than that

Correction, 2025mhz w/o voltage adjustment and 2230mhz with voltage adjustment,

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

20 hours ago, Julian5 said:

The gtx 1060 will be a flop as it will be very expensive like 350$ and not comparable to a rx 480

And just 20 hours later youre proven incorrect. Its actually pretty much the same price in Canada and in the us the cheapest model is just 10 bucks more.

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse 

Day 2. A quick look at UK pricing for IN STOCK cards shows:

ebuyer: 1060 from £240, 480 totally out of stock

Scan: 1060 from £250, 480 8GB from £220+free delivery

Novatech: 1060 from £250, 480 8GB from £230

amazon uk: I give up searching. If I search "RX 480" 6 of the first 9 results are nvidia cards. WTF amazon?

Other suppliers are available, these are some of my preferred ones.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

A curious lack of Doom benchmarks in most of these reviews. 

16 minutes ago, Mastagon said:

Vulkan was probably acting wonky on the card. If people raise enough hell about it (they probably are), someone is going to test it whenever it works, if that's what the issue is anyways.

12 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Vulkan was probably acting wonky on the card. If people raise enough hell about it (they probably are), someone is going to test it whenever it works, if that's what the issue is anyways.

I think I read something about Nvidia asking reviewers to exclude it on /r/amd (and let's all take that with the grain of salt it deserves.) HardOCP included it in their review. 

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Just now, Mastagon said:

I think I read something about Nvidia asking reviewers to exclude it on /r/amd (and let's all take that with the grain of salt it deserves.) HardOCP included it in their review. 

Yup and in Vulkan the reference 480 is 32% faster in 1080p, and 25% in 1440p.

Pretty significant margins, shame there are no other big Vulkan games out yet. Although Battlefield 1 is apparently also getting Vulkan support.

There's also the Talos Principle, but that's not actually a Vulkan game, they use a Vulkan Wrapper there.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

So it looks like the 1060 and RX 480 are going to be the 1440p (And VR as well I would guess) sweetspot cards, while the GTX 960/R9 380 being the 1080p sweetspot cards.

1 hour ago, Mastagon said:

even phoronix (Linux testing site) which normally tests the beta source2 vulkan renderer using dota2 this time left out vulkan testing this time for their GTX 1060 review.

not saying it's malicious, but AMD must be pissed, since they need every win they can get vs gtx 1060.

normally phoronix includes vulkan testing using see below their rx480 review

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=11

29 minutes ago, Humbug said:

even phoronix (Linux testing site) which normally tests the beta source2 vulkan renderer using dota2 this time left out vulkan testing this time for their GTX 1060 review.

not saying it's malicious, but AMD must be pissed, since they need every win they can get vs gtx 1060.

normally phoronix includes vulkan testing using see below their rx480 review

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=11

I'm not going to go full tin-foil hat here but there is an odd amount of discrepancies between benchmarks that makes you question how exactly accurate they are.

Case in point, HardOCP's review of the GTX 1060. Barely reaching GTX 980 performance for the most part and lags behind the RX 480 in ROTTR at 1440p despite other reviewers such as Digital Foundry showing the exact opposite. Also, one of the few reviewers who included the Doom Vulkan benchmark. And just to clear the air of any suspicions that HardOCP is biased towards AMD, the Chief Editor isn't afraid to slam AMD - his article 'From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility' is one clear example.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

For one:

You're talking out of your ass.

Price Development of RX 480

It was always 269.99€. It was even 250€ once. So quit lying.

A lot of these Benchmarks make no sense at all and a lot of them differ a lot from each other. Pauls Hardware for example achieved a GPU score of 5487 in Firestrike Extreme with an OC RX 480, even though the RX 480 reaches easily 6200+ GPU score when overclocked.

Pauls Hardware Benchmark
OC RX 480 EXTREME 1335 MHZ

OC RX 480 EXTREME 1360 MHZ

And for the Vulkan/DX12 benchmarks.....well, saying that there are only a handful of games is correct. But what about engines? 
We are already seeing an implementation in the Unreal Engine and Frostbite engine and the RX 480 whoops the 1060 ass in Vulkan....and by Vulkan i mean a real implementation.
Not what the Talos Principle did.

Face it. These API's will come sooner than you think, so betting on actual live expectancy on a card is way more worth than having those 10 fps more right now.

So people need to stop saying "OH, NOW I HAVE NO REASON TO RECOMMEND THE 480" Yes, yes you do. 

So saying this:

Leaving out all the fanboyism, those are the facts for germany as of today. Easy pick right there.

Is quite funny.

5 minutes ago, Noolz said:

You're talking out of your ass.

Price Development of RX 480

It was always 269.99€. It was even 250€ once. So quit lying.

A lot of these Benchmarks make no sense at all and a lot of them differ a lot from each other. Pauls Hardware for example achieved a GPU score of 5487 in Firestrike Extreme with an OC RX 480, even though the RX 480 reaches easily 6200+ GPU score when overclocked.

Pauls Hardware Benchmark
OC RX 480 EXTREME 1335 MHZ

OC RX 480 EXTREME 1360 MHZ

And for the Vulkan/DX12 benchmarks.....well, saying that there are only a handful of games is correct. But what about engines? 
We are already seeing an implementation in the Unreal Engine and Frostbite engine and the RX 480 whoops the 1060 ass in Vulkan....and by Vulkan i mean a real implementation.
Not what the Talos Principle did.

Face it. These API's will come sooner than you think, so betting on actual live expectancy on a card is way more worth than having those 10 fps more right now.

So people need to stop saying "OH, NOW I HAVE NO REASON TO RECOMMEND THE 480" Yes, yes you do. 

So saying this:

Is quite funny.

My numbers says everything

1 minute ago, gilang01 said:

My numbers says everything

Yeah, 700 points above the MSI 1060 in the GPU score.

Nothing you can do about these kind of ignorant people though.

Just now, Noolz said:

Yeah, 700 points above the MSI 1060 in the GPU score.

Nothing you can do about these kind of ignorant people though.

The only thing holding the 480 back is the horrid cooler.