NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reviews + Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
33 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

snip

Opps, sorry for the wrong info that I put out. 

I get it what you said about the profit that both Nvidia and intel is making. 

Sadly we can do nothing about it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

13 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Did you read the rest of my post?  He compared it to aib cards at 249, reference 480 8gb at 239, and FE at 300.

you mean these:

http://i.imgur.com/uEYhpV6.png

http://i.imgur.com/XFCjL9i.png

If we do indeed see Nvidia’s partners delivering custom cards to market for $250, then I feel AMD’s RX 480 8GB card could be in trouble. This is down to the fact that it costs more per frame as a result of it being slower. Of course it consumes more power as well and probably won’t offer the same degree of overclocking headroom.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm not sure where you are disagreeing with me... I said the 480 4gb was the best price to performance card, followed by 1060 AIB, followed by reference 480 8gb, followed by fe 1060.  That's exactly what the chart shows.

22 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I don't watch LTT's videocard reviews anymore

I saw PCPer's and they mentioned EVGA's pricing of 260$ while a 8Gb RX480 is ~240$

Seriously, Luke, up your review game. 

11 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

I'm not sure where you are disagreeing with me... I said the 480 4gb was the best price to performance card, followed by 1060 AIB, followed by reference 480 8gb, followed by fe 1060.  That's exactly what the chart shows.

no one in their right mind should buy the 4GB model

wasn't the new Mirror's Edge who showed some insane VRAM usage?

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Wow this post is like a deja vu to me, i think i've seen similar post when AMD released the 290s but it was against the 780s back in 2013.  xD

May be true for the high-end, except that back then the r9 280 was the best value in my region and that is what I went with. I never buy stuff because of hype/fanboism etc. For right now the 1060 is the better deal, period... what the future brings with dx12/vulkan is to be seen, I guess the 480 will catch up by more than incremental leaps and that is where Vega will come into play for me.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no one in their right mind should buy the 4GB model

wasn't the new Mirror's Edge who showed some insane VRAM usage?

Up until a few days ago I was running a 770 2gb card in 1080p and had literally no problems with vram ever, and now that one game shows high usage you'd have to be out of your mind to buy a 4gb card?  So people will have to be literally retarded to buy the 1050 3gb when it releases in december?

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Up until a few days ago I was running a 770 2gb card in 1080p and had literally no problems with vram ever

the new DOOM use 2,8GB of VRAM @ 1080p in OpenGL

it uses even more with Vulkan

you haven't had problems?! cut the crap

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the new DOOM use 2,8GB of VRAM @ 1080p in OpenGL

it uses even more with Vulkan

you haven't had problems?! cut the crap

So how does mean that someone would need to be "not in their right mind" to buy a 4gb card?  And now you're telling me that I had problems?  You do realize how laughable that is.  You would have to.  GTA V says it's using 2.5gb of vram at 1080 all very high, and I still don't have any issue there either. No comment on the 3gb 1050?

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

So how does mean that someone would need to be "not in their right mind" to buy a 4gb card?

the 4Gb variant is ~40$ cheaper - if people are willing to buy that and not the 8Gb, yes, they are out of their minds

since last couple of years, game have shown increased VRAM usage; and when it comes to DX12 and Vulkan, that VRAM usage will get even higher for the same settings

and Mirror's Edge example I gave, doesn't use DX12 nor Vulkan

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the 4Gb variant is ~40$ cheaper - if people are willing to buy that and not the 8Gb, yes, they are out of their minds

Even when the 4gb version performs the same in benchmarks, has enough vram for the 1080p market that it's aimed towards, and makes it a better price to performance buy than either an 8gb 480 OR board partner 1060?  I guess I don't follow that logic.  I get the "it's only $40 more" mentality, sure, it's why I bought a GTX 1070 and not a Nitro Fury, but the idea that buying a better fps/$ card makes you out of your mind just doesn't make any sense.  If it has enough RAM for what you want to do with it, why do you care if another card has more?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

And chances are the custom RX 480 will cost more than the reference one (at least that's how it usually was until Nvidia started pulling this FE crap). So the custom 480 might be the same in terms of noise and temps as the 1060, but then it will cost more and perform worse.

AMD might not need to do a price cut. All they really need to do is get the stock of the 4GB model fixed. 200 dollar 4GB 480 vs 250 dollar 6GB 1060 would probably hand the price:performance win to AMD. At 240 dollars vs ~260 (or whatever the aftermarket 1060s are suppose to cost) then Nvidia wins.

I looked up the Swedish prices. In Sweden the 1060 is a no braner.

At OcUK the Sapphire Nitro 8GB cards are actually listed at a price under their reference card, matching some other reference ones and only more expensive than 2.

The price difference is £10-20
The Powercolor Devil 8GB card is also listed at £249 which is very respectable, while their Dual Cool 8GB model is £235.

The main one that's mental on price is Asus Strix at £289.

Oh and best bang for buck seems to the Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB card at £200.

The AIB's are pretty well priced all things given; although they can all drop £30 easily to get more inline with the MSRP if you ask me; still some price gouging going on.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480

When it comes to the 1060, the cheaper ones aren't in stock and never were. Sadly, the ones in stock cost a bit more than even the listed 480 AIB's, with Asus of course being the most stupid asking up to £325 for their Strix model.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

29 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

At OcUK the Sapphire Nitro 8GB cards are actually listed at a price under their reference card, matching some other reference ones and only more expensive than 2.

The price difference is £10-20
The Powercolor Devil 8GB card is also listed at £249 which is very respectable, while their Dual Cool 8GB model is £235.

The main one that's mental on price is Asus Strix at £289.

Oh and best bang for buck seems to the Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB card at £200.

The AIB's are pretty well priced all things given; although they can all drop £30 easily to get more inline with the MSRP if you ask me; still some price gouging going on.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480

When it comes to the 1060, the cheaper ones aren't in stock and never were. Sadly, the ones in stock cost a bit more than even the listed 480 AIB's, with Asus of course being the most stupid asking up to £325 for their Strix model.

Looking at the Overclockers' page I see this (only looking for cards in stock):

RX 480 8GB reference - 220 pounds.

RX 480 non-reference - Doesn't exist yet.

GTX 1060 non-reference - 250 pounds.

So it's a 13% price difference, which puts it at pretty much the same price:performance, but with all the other benefits (cooler, quieter, more silent, better support in programs etc).

There is only a 5 pound price difference between the 4GB and 8GB RX 480. Not insignificant, but I would not advice anyone cheap out and get half the VRAM just to save 5 pounds.

If you want to compare out of stock non-reference cards then the 1060 is cheaper than the 8GB 480 (230 pounds vs 356 pounds).

The 4GB Nitro+ is significantly cheaper though (at 200 pounds).

So basically, in the UK the GTX 1060 is a much better buy than the 8GB RX 480. Cheaper and performs better. The Nitro+ RX 480 with 4GB of VRAM seems like it will be the price:performance king when it comes out (assuming the lower VRAM doesn't limit it right now) but right now, the 1060 is a better buy than what AMD has to offer.

Here are the listings for anyone who wants to take a look for themselves:

RX 480 listings.

GTX 1060 listings.

3 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

Just curious...How does the 290x-290 crossfire compare to the 295x2 in benches and such?

i cant seem to get CF working yet , but i assume it should come close. but dual hawaii chips do produce a LOT of heat.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The fact that people seriously thought that these would be selling for 350$ plus is ridiculous. The only reason the 1070 and 1080 are so expensive is because AMD has no competitor.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Speaking for Germany:

AMD lost this generation hard. Only things saving them RX480 got released earlier and is capable of crossfire.

Evga 1060 is 279€

Rx480 cheapest reference is 269€

There are already plenty 1060 custom designs available, not a single custom RX480 (<- keep in mind: Germany)

Better performance with lower power draw and better coolers for a marginally higher price (and because its me and GPGPU: CUDA!), AMD can pack their bags.

linux master race.

Yea the price difference is also bad in the UK, (unless I wasn't looking hard enough) as it is only a £15 difference.... which I am personally willing to pay.

Looks like stock doesn't exist. Smells like bad yields for nvidia this year

5 hours ago, NuclearPeace said:

JayzTwoCents already had a $260 EVGA Superclocked in which the 480 couldn't touch in any of his benchmarks. I would say at least in the States NVIDIA has it in the bag, especially with us still waiting for custom 480s.

JayzTwoCents is a serious nVidia fan boy. I wouldn't trust any of his benchmarks or what he says.

So far I found only one GTX 1060 in my country. It is MSI one with custom cooler and it is €370 which is €100 more than the cheapest RX480 and €70 more than the average price of RX480.

But one card can't speak about all the prices so I will have to wait a bit more.

1 hour ago, Supermangik said:

JayzTwoCents is a serious nVidia fan boy. I wouldn't trust any of his benchmarks or what he says.

Well in Jays defense he did stress several times he has not tested the reference 480 with current drivers. It was an EVGA SC 1060 vs RX 480 with day 1 drivers on his comparison sheet. Yet as we see here people still used reference vs a little better to declare utter doom. I will be interested to see how things look at the end of August. 

I think the RX480 will fair well enough, here is my reference overclocked vs a factory overclocked AIB GTX1060.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_gtx_1060_super_jetstream_review,28.html

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/103884

Jet Stream (factory OC) GPU Score: 4256

RX480 OC GPU Score: 4451

It does change when they do an overclock on the Jet Stream and makes me wonder what the AIB's will be able to extract out of the RX480. 

8 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

I think the RX480 will fair well enough, here is my reference overclocked vs a factory overclocked AIB GTX1060.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_gtx_1060_super_jetstream_review,28.html

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/103884

Jet Stream (factory OC) GPU Score: 4256

RX480 OC GPU Score: 4451

It does change when they do an overclock on the Jet Stream and makes me wonder what the AIB's will be able to extract out of the RX480. 

Come on man, I thight we were past the "let's compare an overclocked card vs a stock one" stage. You are comparing an overclocked card vs a stock one. Overclocking the 1060 yielded a ~15% increase in Guru3D's test. That would put the 1060 at 4900 in time spy (assuming it scales as well as the games they tried). So the 10% performance lead is still there. 

AIB 480 might help slightly, but they most likely won't reduce temps, noise and allow for a whooping 10% performance increase over an already overclocked reference 480. All that while also costing the same or less than the reference cars? You are expecting way too much. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Come on man, I thight we were past the "let's compare an overclocked card vs a stock one" stage. You are comparing an overclocked card vs a stock one. Overclocking the 1060 yielded a ~15% increase in Guru3D's test. That would put the 1060 at 4900 in time spy (assuming it scales as well as the games they tried). So the 10% performance lead is still there. 

AIB 480 might help slightly, but they most likely won't reduce temps, noise and allow for a whooping 10% performance increase over an already overclocked reference 480. All that while also costing the same or less than the reference cars? You are expecting way too much. 

If you missed it, I specifically noted these things and I was comparing an overclocked reference card to a factory overclocked AIB card. So it is still there, though there is still headroom for the AIB card vs my reference design. It just is a nice reference for people from time to time to see these results. I personally don't think we will see RX480 AIB's pushing what I am currently running my card at. If they do then they would be much more quiet and cooler. 

25 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Well in Jays defense he did stress several times he has not tested the reference 480 with current drivers. It was an EVGA SC 1060 vs RX 480 with day 1 drivers on his comparison sheet. Yet as we see here people still used reference vs a little better to declare utter doom. I will be interested to see how things look at the end of August. 

He benchmark games that are known to use Game works library for nVidia, and he leaves out games that uses AMD technology like Tomb Raider and Doom. It seriously doesn't make any sense why he does this except he's always pro-nVidia. The real tests comes when DX12/Vulkan is released and games make use of it.