AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

CommandMan7
3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, they're going to take a look at the graph and when they try to recall the information they're going to remember what the graph looked like, which at a cursory glance indicates an increase FAR greater than just 50%. 

I think you guys are making it out to be much more of a problem than it really is. I dont think anyone on this forum is that illiterate 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

I think you guys are making it out to be much more of a problem than it really is. I dont think anyone on this forum is that illiterate 

The forum maybe. The general public? Probably.

43 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

You'd be amazed how many people, even on this forum either don't read and just look at the pictures, or read/focus on one line and ignore everything else. But that's not the entire problem, the bigger issue (at least on this forum) is that people have a tendency (myself included) to make a comment based on something they've read or remember from elsewhere on the forum. And, unfortunately, most people don't have eidetic memories, however visual representations of information are far easier to recall making it likely for someone to incorrectly recall the data. 

I don't think the graph is really that big of an issue, but it isn't the best possible representation either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The graph is intended for people who are trading stocks. Not people who want an actual indication as to how the company is doing. The difference is important.

so google is not worried about misleading people into believing amd stocks rose 500%

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so google is not worried about misleading people into believing amd stocks rose 500%

If you are mislead by that graph, you are too dumb to do stock trading. And tie your own shoes.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I may not buy AMD hardware,  but goddamned if this didn't brighten my day. 

Well, today stocks went down by ~14%, it was kind of expected though

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Wow well i hope it make a difference because at this rate i will invest in Zen and Polaris and never go back.

22 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, AMD's market value may have climbed to over $3 billion, but Nvidia is still at nearly $20 billion. 

I'm just saying it started while I own GTX card myself...

Here are two cool videos if haven't seen them yet:

(I think part 2 is more linked to this discussion, but some history in part 1 is also good info)

p.s. you get use to the Scotish accent :)

Part 1: 

Part 2:

To chime in on the topic of the graph, really those who don't understand what the numbers mean in it are unconcerned with the topic. If they want to fake knowledge by talking about the graph without fully parsing it, that's on them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

As everyone has noted, the stock price fell about 14% on Monday. However, today it's rebounded another 8% upwards. AMD stock is currently sitting at $3.72 USD per share.

That's still a good upward trend. Obviously this is just a microtrend over the last 3 business days, it will be interesting how this plays out over the longer term.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As everyone has noted, the stock price fell about 14% on Monday. However, today it's rebounded another 8% upwards. AMD stock is currently sitting at $3.72 USD per share.

That's still a good upward trend. Obviously this is just a microtrend over the last 3 business days, it will be interesting how this plays out over the longer term.

It's typical of stock that's suddenly jumped in price, some people who might not have noticed the price jump right away were cashing in their winnings and causing the drop. That left a bit of room for the price to increase again.

Good :)

Looks like its staying around 3.6 right now.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Topic is about AMD Stoc Price, comments about a GRAPH. Wow what have we become. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

50 minutes ago, pbenologa said:

Topic is about AMD Stoc Price, comments about a GRAPH. Wow what have we become. 

Sshhh, some people think that the option to view a 1 month section of a graph that goes for decades makes it misleading

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am looking at the stock prices graphs for years

and 3.6 dollars per stock is really low when you compare the prices when it was the dot com boom

almost 93 dollars per stock in May 5 2000 almost 16 years ago.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

On 4/23/2016 at 6:06 PM, Enderman said:
Spoiler

That's called a biased/misleading graph...

This is the stuff you get taught in elementary school.

This graph illustrates a 500% increase not a 50% increase

CgrGDHXW4AAKHuU.jpg

That is called bias and misleading.

500% =/= 50%

How do you get 500% off the graph, given the Y axis starts at 2.5?

On 4/23/2016 at 7:24 AM, CommandMan7 said:

Well I calculated that based on the 140 million trading volume yesterday times 1.37, but I might be doing that wrong.

Volume traded is the amount of shared traded in period. 

You want to take the shares outstanding and multiply them by the new value, and then minus the old value to get you capital gains/difference.

22 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

I am looking at the stock prices graphs for years

and 3.6 dollars per stock is really low when you compare the prices when it was the dot com boom

almost 93 dollars per stock in May 5 2000 almost 16 years ago.

Considering AMD started at $3 a share....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering AMD started at $3 a share....

god bless those who bought the shares during the IPO and earn a butt ton during the Dot Com boom and cash out before the Do Com bubble burst.

I play with stock and always ended up poorer than before

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Sucks. I sold my shares back around Feb or so. Then a few months later it goes flying through the roof.

I lost on a large potential gain.

1 hour ago, Stuff_ said:

Sucks. I sold my shares back around Feb or so. Then a few months later it goes flying through the roof.

I lost on a large potential gain.

why on earth would you sell your AMD stocks PRE ZEN and Polaris release?

Stocks will increase just around those moments. And that is when you decide to jump ship or stay.

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

why on earth would you sell your AMD stocks PRE ZEN and Polaris release?

Stocks will increase just around those moments. And that is when you decide to jump ship or stay.

My guess is they will likely climb right up until release, and then if they do well they might jump a little more but if they turn out to be crap products, it will plummet, so sell right before then if you're a pessimist :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 23. April 2016 at 7:49 AM, Enderman said:

it changes the proportions...

or maybe you dont understand what bias is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph

you can learn all about it there

In Germany people say something like "never trust a graph that you haven't faked yourself" ;)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system