rumor has it nVidia discontinued production for GTX970, 980 and 980Ti GPUs - to be replaced with Pascal chips this June

zMeul

source: http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=news&wr_id=18732

take this with a teaspoon of salt, but .. hmm .. I could see it happening

Currently, all NVIDIA AIB partners of the GeForce GTX 970/980 / 980Ti series production has been discontinued,  no longer supply the chipset from NVIDIA. 

The initial product launch are all the reference product and the mainstream (GTX 1070) Class AIB partners of the cooler only designs products that are released about two weeks late
Adopted and will be released immediately.

• GTX 980Ti will be replaced by a Pascal GP 104-400 GPU and will be available on both reference and custom board designs
  • GTX 980 will be replaced by GP 104-200 will be available on both reference and custom board
  • GTX 970 will be replaced by GP 104-150 and will be available only is on a custom board, nVidia appears that they won't release a reference card

both the 980Ti and 980 replacements would be available early June, while GTX970 replacement will be available ~2 weeks later

if this is true, that means those "leaked" GTX980 and GTX970 shroud pics were fake?!

it could also mean that some AIB partner will prepare their own custom designed shrouds for a blower style cooling solution

Just now, zMeul said:

Currently, all NVIDIA AIB partners of the GeForce GTX 970/980 / 980Ti series production has been discontinued,  no longer supply the chipset from NVIDIA. 

The initial product launch are all the reference product and the mainstream (GTX 1070) Class AIB partners of the cooler only designs products that are released about two weeks late
Adopted and will be released immediately.

That is literally the worst chinglish I have read in quite a while.

11 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

That is literally the worst chinglish I have read in quite a while.

it's a google translate from a korean source .. what did you expect?! perhaps I should've posted the original text xD

have at it:

현재 모든 NVIDIA AIB 파트너사들의 지포스 GTX 970/ 980 / 980Ti 시리즈 생산은 중단 되었으며, NVIDIA에서 더 이상 해당 칩셋의 공급을 하지 않습니다.

초기 출시 제품들은 모두 레퍼런스 제품이며 보름 정도 뒤늦게 출시되는 메인스트림급(GTX 1070) 급의 제품만 AIB 파트너사들의 쿨러 디자인을
채택하고 바로 출시 됩니다.

Edited by zMeul

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's a google translate from a chinese source .. what did you expect?! perhaps I should've posted the original text xD

have at it:

That's not chinese. That's korean. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

REKT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

This is to be expected that nvidia would stop making the 970, 980 and 980ti because they are being replaced, but these will still be sold a few years from now because the manufacturers have large supplies of the chips already, and it is just that they are going to stop production of those in order to make the new cards.

This isn't really news as much as an observation of how the manufacturers operate.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

This is to be expected that nvidia would stop making the 970, 980 and 980ti because they are being replaced, but these will still be sold a few years from now because the manufacturers have large supplies of the chips already, and it is just that they are going to stop production of those in order to make the new cards.

This isn't really news as much as an observation of how the manufacturers operate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that figured that out....

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

6 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

this isn't as much as current lineup being discontinued but as indication Pascal is coming

also, an observation: Titan X replacement isn't in - could be that nVidia is planning to equip the Pascal GPU with HBM2 ?!

---

AMD is planning to release their lower tier offerings 1st, while nVidia seems not to - GTX950, 960 would stay on the market for quite a while

9 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Kringlish! 

`

I'll see it when I believe it. All other rumours are pointing to the "980 Ti" replacement coming out potentially not until Q1 2017 even. They might stop manufacturing the chips themselves now, if they have a large enough stockpile to meet expected demand, but that literally means nothing about when Pascal is coming out.

Possible? Sure. But I remain highly skeptical.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

28 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yup. Chinglish xD

kor-lish*

别侮辱华人`-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll see it when I believe it. All other rumours are pointing to the "980 Ti" replacement coming out potentially not until Q1 2017 even. They might stop manufacturing the chips themselves now, if they have a large enough stockpile to meet expected demand, but that literally means nothing about when Pascal is coming out.

Possible? Sure. But I remain highly skeptical.

It's not something to be that doubtful of, they did it with the 700 to 900 series transition. Stopped production of all 700 series cards in September, paper launch of 970/980, then the actual launch a couple months later. It would be right in line with that.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

2 minutes ago, Daegun said:

It's not something to be that doubtful of, they did it with the 700 to 900 series transition. Stopped production of all 700 series cards in September, paper launch of 970/980, then the actual launch a couple months later. It would be right in line with that.

Big difference though - they were just launching a new revised architecture on the same node and the same memory technology.

Now they're launching on a brand new node, with new memory (Both GDDR5X and HBM2.0). And all indications point that HBM2.0 is in very very low supplies. All indications so far point that NVIDIA is reserving as much of it's HBM2.0 supply as it can for HPC/Compute, since that is a very profit friendly market for them.

So unless they launch the "1080 Ti" with GDDR5 or 5X, I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

39 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this isn't as much as current lineup being discontinued but as indication Pascal is coming

also, an observation: Titan X replacement isn't in - could be that nVidia is planning to equip the Pascal GPU with HBM2 ?!

---

AMD is planning to release their lower tier offerings 1st, while nVidia seems not to - GTX950, 960 would stay on the market for quite a while

HBM2  won't magically appear for Nvidia half a year  before amd gets it on a card. Mostly because of the need to manufacture chips, which isn't happening until q3.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I like this news, but the "true" successor to the 980 Ti won't launch til next year. The card "replacing" the 980 Ti now is a medium sized die; much like the 980 beating the 780 Ti, this fully enabled GP104 chip would roughly be equal to or surpass the 980 Ti.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

44 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

Kringlish! 

Kim Jong Unglish :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Big difference though - they were just launching a new revised architecture on the same node and the same memory technology.

Now they're launching on a brand new node, with new memory (Both GDDR5X and HBM2.0). And all indications point that HBM2.0 is in very very low supplies. All indications so far point that NVIDIA is reserving as much of it's HBM2.0 supply as it can for HPC/Compute, since that is a very profit friendly market for them.

So unless they launch the "1080 Ti" with GDDR5 or 5X, I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon.

They won't be launching the big dogs any time soon, this is just the lower tier cards. No one plans on seeing Vega/Big Pascal until around the end of this year at the earliest. The cards thought to launch in June-July are small Pascal and Polaris with small die sizes. And while yes, this is a different node, everything points to regular GDDR5. GDDR5X production doesn't ramp up until June, so it wouldn't make it in time and HBM 2 doesn't have the yields for both companies either and would only be put on their stronger cards.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

1 minute ago, Daegun said:

They won't be launching the big dogs any time soon, this is just the lower tier cards. No one plans on seeing Vega/Big Pascal until around the end of this year at the earliest. The cards thought to launch in June-July are small Pascal and Polaris with small die sizes. And while yes, this is a different node, everything points to regular GDDR5. GDDR5X production doesn't ramp up until June, so it wouldn't make it in time and HBM 2 doesn't have the yields for both companies either and would only be put on their stronger cards.

Yup, all the rumourmill stuff is pointing to regular old GDDR5, at least for the first revision. Maybe they'll do a Rev 2.0 with GDDRX in the future?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

HBM2  won't magically appear for Nvidia half a year  before amd gets it on a card. Mostly because of the need to manufacture chips, which isn't happening until q3.

what does AMD has to do with HBM2 ?! absolutely nothing

Just now, zMeul said:

what does AMD has to do with HBM2 ?! absolutely nothing

There is no HBM for either company before Q3. Therefore the summer releases for both come will have GDDR5 or GDDR5X.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

10 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

There is no HBM for either company before Q3. Therefore the summer releases for both come will have GDDR5 or GDDR5X.

you completely missed the point of what I was saying . but, whatevs 

Didn't we already know this? It's all over tech sites lately that Nvidia and AMD will be releasing brand new cards in and around Computex 2016. Obviously both companies with be ramping down and stopping production on current products to make way for the new ones. This whole thread is kind of pointless. Sorry. ;) I don't mean any disrespect. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

36 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you completely missed the point of what I was saying . but, whatevs 

He didn't miss the point, you just misunderstood his original point. He was simply pointing out that we can expect both AMD and NVIDIA get get ahold of HBM2.0 in high volume (Enough to support consumer GPU's) at around the same time - which is - so far - slated for around Q32016.

So that made him (and others) skeptical about the exact details of this "leak". Supply of HBM2.0 is limited in general, not just to AMD or NVIDIA specifically, but both of them.