7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

That would be awful, you'd have to jump one PSU everytime you wanted to power on the system and the CaseLabs S8 doesn't even support dual PSUs.

And IMO I think the Nanos were a perfect choice, they fit the bill so well and they are hella fast cards especially when you liquid cool them.

This is not a practical build.

It's gonna be used to show off at CES.

You'd have to jump that PSU only one time a day. Not a big deal.

And Caselabs are better known for their large cases and modularity of their cases.

And this case supports Dual PSUs.

Quick_ship_SWM_055__52987.1443633024.128

I'm sure if Linus requested one for this requirement, they would have created an awesome case. It's like a piece of cake for them.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Can you do 20 gamers one pc next time? just put 2x super flower leadex platinum psu and thermaltake x9 stacked on top of eachother 3 or 4 times with 3 or more e-atx motherboards :P

The whole system consumed over 1500w, So ... 

This wasn't his point.

Can you do 20 gamers one pc next time? just put 2x super flower leadex platinum psu and thermaltake x9 stacked on top of eachother 3 or 4 times with 3 or more e-atx motherboards :P

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10QBI.cfm

Quad CPU and 11 PCI-E slots... At this point, why not get like 50 of these and build your own Nvidia GRID cluster.

This wasn't his point.

oopsy sorry. I was on mobile, didn't read it fully.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

This is not a practical build.

It's gonna be used to show off at CES.

You'd have to jump that PSU only one time a day. Not a big deal.

And Caselabs are better known for their large cases and modularity of their cases.

And this case supports Dual PSUs.

Quick_ship_SWM_055__52987.1443633024.128

I'm sure if Linus requested one for this requirement, they would have created an awesome case. It's like a piece of cake for them.

I still think the Fury Nanos worked out perfectly and those liquid cooled cards aren't far off from an air cooled 980 Ti anyway.

I still think the Fury Nanos worked out perfectly and those liquid cooled cards aren't far off from an air cooled 980 Ti anyway.

Yeah, it did about 100 fps on Crysis 3 and it's a pretty decent card.

Just wanted him to crank up all the hardwares to super high end ones. This is LinusTechTips. :P

And he used GSync monitors for this setup! ha ha. :P

Is this  the mobo he was using this  Asus z10pe-d8 ws ? thats about as high end as it can ever get for now  i think.

Ever dreamed of what you could do with a $30,000 computer? Turns out the answer is "a lot"

Vessel link: tbd

YouTube: 

Parts List

Kingston 32GB DDR4 ECC RAM (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3N2B

Kingston KC400 1TB Business SSD (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3c6w

Lime Technology unRAID Server Pro Software

Manufacturer Link: http://lime-technology.com/

Caselabs Mercury S8

Amazon: n/a

Manufacturer Direct: http://bit.ly/1P8UvW3

Acer Predator X34 21:9 Gaming Monitor (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/32xr

Intel Xeon E5 2697 V3 (x2)

Amazon: http://geni.us/1nya

ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Amazon: http://geni.us/wov

AMD R9 Nano (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/Ubr

EVGA T2 1600W

Amazon: http://geni.us/3ad1

Cablemod Custom Cables for PSU

Manufacturer Link: http://bit.ly/1NYnrCz

Water Cooling Parts

CPU blocks - EK Supremacy Evo

Radiators - EK Coolstream XE 360

GPU Blocks - EK R9 Nano

GPU Connector - Custom 7-way version of FC Terminal

Pump/Reservoir - EK Xres 140

Fittings - EK Advanced Compression Fittings

Tubing - Primochill Primoflex Black/Orange

I think he should look at the frame rates for just one player. also he should try and play games on 3 4K monitors or even 3 5K monitors on that PC.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

Maan!! Whoow!

@LinusTech I expected a really long video of this one. Especially considering that it is a $30k PC.

You could have asked Super Flower for their 2000w PSU and throw in 7 x 980 Ti in there.

Did you watch the entire video? The short GPUs meant that he was able to take them out again plus are there any 980Tis with all the video outputs in a single slot?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So are we just going to pretend that the Nano card was the perfect choice for this build because of its physical characteristics or are we going to hear about the limitations of this card as well?  Hey Linus, can you reboot any of those 7 VMs without doing tricks in the guest to make sure the card can be initialized a second time?  Users are having a horrible time getting GPU assignment to work with many of the more recent AMD cards and completely ignoring that issue is going to drive a lot of users to make a poor choice in trying to replicate a smaller version of this build.  NVIDIA has issues for sure, but so long as they don't add anything new, we know how to work around them.  AMD cards often cannot be reset after the driver loads in the guest, requiring the GPU to be manually ejected from the VM before reboot, or rebooting the host between each guest reboot.  Not fun, and not the level of functionality that many folks here have inferred from the video.

wait... Xeon doesn't have integrated GPU. Does the motherboard gets the video from a video chip on motherboard? 

Yes.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I completely disagree with pretty well everything you just typed (as far as unRAID being "easier" to use than ESXi).

Yes, unRAID has the ability to use nVidia cards, via a workaround (that was admitted to be 'spotty' in the 2 gamers 1 tower video), but "easier" to configure otherwise, I completely disagree.

unRAID is far easier to use than ESXi when it comes to configuring this use-case.  No need to do any crazy networking stuff for a 1 machine LAN party either.  He could do the instant LAN party with the VMs he setup in the video.  Just didn't have time to film that before the system had to ship to CES for Kingston.

VMWare is a great IT professional tool, but not simple enough to use for the majority of folks out there (especially for this use-case).

This is really jaw droping ... LMG go ahead! Do more stuff like this.. holy shit :D

The hypervisor takes care of that task.  The TL:DR version is -- the CPU cores aren't "dedicated" to each VM, and unusable anywhere else...

Awesome. How would you split the CPU thou, one of the machines would have a triple core to so the VM has one.

The hypervisor unRAID uses provides a "network bridge" that allows the VM's to share one NIC.  In a case where you didn't have 7 graphics cards, you could add more network interfaces and directly assign them to each VM, if you wanted / needed.

how do you connect those to the internet?

It was my understand that using graphics cards for Bitcoin has been worthless for quite a few years now, at least once the dedicated (and fairly expensive) custom ASICS came onto the scene...

Two words: Bitcoin Mining

They are AMD cards after all

The hypervisor unRAID uses provides a "network bridge" that allows the VM's to share one NIC.  In a case where you didn't have 7 graphics cards, you could add more network interfaces and directly assign them to each VM, if you wanted / needed.

so you could just connect that thing to a router and do a local game? that is awesome!

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Did you watch the entire video? The short GPUs meant that he was able to take them out again plus are there any 980Tis with all the video outputs in a single slot?

Well, K|NGP|N 980 Ti's are single slot ready.

Why is that not possible to take out the card off of the motherboard?

Well, K|NGP|N 980 Ti's are single slot ready.

Why is that not possible to take out the card off of the motherboard?

Because when you have 7 GPUs it's impossible to access the PCIe slot locks if the card is too long.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Because when you have 7 GPUs it's impossible to access the PCIe slot locks if the card is too long.

Break the locks, I say.

so you could just connect that thing to a router and do a local game? that is awesome

You dont even need the router, the hyperviser can supply a dhcp