MetallicAcid's TJ07 (working title)

*drools*

#somuchmoneywillgointothis

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe a PSU mod is due one day? ;)

/Justin

Yeah black connectors. Or a matching color.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Update time!

TJ07sponsorlogo_zpsf3b9021d.jpg

Why hello there guys and girls of modding!

I have a lovely update to present to you today. I had done some work on the body with gluing the front panel into place, and sanding the entire face to it is totally flat. It was a labour of love, but well worth it! I covered over the 3 LED holes as well above the on/off switch. I then went ahead and filed out the original hole 5mm so that I could install the vandal switch seen it the pictures, which have a golden/yellow LED ring. 

So with this said, onto the pictures!

1_zps3eacde24.jpg

2_zps9415e503.jpg

3_zps162caea7.jpg

4_zpsb5b3a31e.jpg

5_zps01ad80a0.jpg

6_zps6a0e8cb8.jpg

7_zpsa7fb54fa.jpg

8_zps78612b80.jpg

9_zpsfebe703c.jpg

10_zpsd8570415.jpg

11_zpsa73051cf.jpg

12_zps5f0fadb5.jpg

13_zps69490e47.jpg

14_zpsc433c049.jpg

15_zps67b6c369.jpg

So I would like to hear your thoughts on the build so far! Please give me some feedback if you are enjoying this thread, and if there is anything I can do to improve the quality of the thread and/or project! Thanks!!

Best regards,
Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

Nice that, switch looks very slick.

I saw it a few times in stores and it's really something cool and interesting.

Will likely get this in my next build! It's only a little bulky, but it probably looks bigger in pictures than it is in real life! :]

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Yeah, that switch looks awesome. I think the LED on the switch is either Blue or Red. Are you going to change the LED to something different ?

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Yeah, that switch looks awesome. I think the LED on the switch is either Blue or Red. Are you going to change the LED to something different ?

4rJ8mla.jpg?1?8233

I then went ahead and filed out the original hole 5mm so that I could install the vandal switch seen it the pictures, which have a golden/yellow LED ring

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

4rJ8mla.jpg?1?8233

Ok. I just though that there were only Red and Blue. And I though that he would swap them out BC the theme has gold... :)

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Ok. I just though that there were only Red and Blue. And I though that he would swap them out BC the theme has gold... :)

haha, no problem! :] Just read stuff and don't just look at pictures! 

haha, no problem! :] Just read stuff and don't just look at pictures! 

OMG how can I not just look at the pictures. So much eye candy in this rig....... *OH* *OH* *OH* All over the screen :D

Have you guys had any experience with PSUs that require an extra capacitor on the PCI-E cables? Like this one?

DSC05792-2_zps22c27fea.jpg

Can it be cut off? I ask this as the individually sleeved cables which can be bought from moddiy.com don't have them. I have also read that they are to reduce voltage ripple. If it is removed, would the ripple be so bad after?

Best regards,

Justin

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

Voltage ripple is dealt with, within the PSU itself. That capacitor would not really be doing much and is more for marketing than anything else :)

Either way, it shouldn't have an impact on performance, and is certainly not critical.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

This is freaking awesome. I just went through all 28 pages and loved most of the renders you've done. I love builds with Silverstone cases.

That capacitor.. It is not made on there for the fun off it. But contact silverstone themself? I honestly think it's there for a good reason! 

I highly disagree with the fact that they did that for marketing. I mean, it's pretty ugly and bulky. They know this, they are not stupid... so yeah. 

That capacitor.. It is not made on there for the fun off it. But contact silverstone themself? I honestly think it's there for a good reason! 

I highly disagree with the fact that they did that for marketing. I mean, it's pretty ugly and bulky. They know this, they are not stupid... so yeah. 

Marketing as in... "We use capacitors directly on our cables to get extreme performance for enthusiasts"... That kind of marketing...

I mean, caps on cables, really? -.- That's just going too far.. But yeah, I don't disagree with contacting silverstone, but now that it's done... Oh well :D

- Cool right?

Marketing as in... "We use capacitors directly on our cables to get extreme performance for enthusiasts"... That kind of marketing...

I mean, caps on cables, really? -.- That's just going too far.. But yeah, I don't disagree with contacting silverstone, but now that it's done... Oh well :D

I can not think for a reason why a company would place a capacitor on a cable and be like, "Yes, this is amazing!" 

The use of a capacitor is to "smooth" out the flow of electricity. While this indeed seems like a thing that is not needed. I really assume silverstone did this for a good reason. Else it feels stupid to do it? They test their PSU's before they produce them massively. 

Place that capacitor can cost a pretty good amount (even a few $ is a good amount) to not just do it for the heck off it. Contacting silverstone is likely the best option. But again, they can give you a marketing focused answer. So, .. yeah hard decision. 

I personally wouldn't remove it until I heard the reasoning why it was placed. 

I believe Antec used to use capacitors on cables on their high end power supplies where they did actually improve the ripple, but only because the power supply was providing some rather bad ripple, this PSU might be better to the point where it does not matter, you really need to test this specific PSU with and without the silverstone cables to be sure.

You could also consider cutting a small hole in the sleeving and soldering them back in and cover them with heatshrink

I believe Antec used to use capacitors on cables on their high end power supplies where they did actually improve the ripple, but only because the power supply was providing some rather bad ripple, this PSU might be better to the point where it does not matter, you really need to test this specific PSU with and without the silverstone cables to be sure.

You could also consider cutting them out then cutting a small hole in the sleeving and soldering them back in and cover them with heatshrink

It's pretty limited what a single cap can do for a device pulling this much power. If anything, it would take care of some VERY minor bjt53tgg

- Cool right?

I can not think for a reason why a company would place a capacitor on a cable and be like, "Yes, this is amazing!" 

The use of a capacitor is to "smooth" out the flow of electricity. While this indeed seems like a thing that is not needed. I really assume silverstone did this for a good reason. Else it feels stupid to do it? They test their PSU's before they produce them massively. 

Place that capacitor can cost a pretty good amount (even a few $ is a good amount) to not just do it for the heck off it. Contacting silverstone is likely the best option. But again, they can give you a marketing focused answer. So, .. yeah hard decision. 

I personally wouldn't remove it until I heard the reasoning why it was placed. 

You could also consider cutting a small hole in the sleeving and soldering them back in and cover them with heatshrink

Here's what silvestone actually says about that cap.:

"

7. To reduce electrical whine/buzz associated with high performance graphics card’s dynamic loading changes, 2200uF capacitors are attached to PCI-E connectors. This design also helps to maintain better voltage stability and improve ripple & noise performance. 

"

I don't know about you, but I have never had any problem with voltage stability on my gpu. Maybe they'll help with coilwind, doubt it that a 2200uF cap is gonna take care of it though :S

- Cool right?

Never had any voltage stability problems either, maybe they expected this PSU to be used in extreme GPU overclocking and added that to be safer? Nor any buzzing because of load changes

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Removing the cap is all well and good, but only if it's across 2 of the cables (parallel).

If it was in series, you'll have to resolder the wire back together or you won't get any power through that cable.

Justin, was the cap between two seperate cables, or just inline on one?