Experiences with non-techies

7 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Time for an OFF TOPIC POST!

So I never gave much thought to the Windows 10 Anniversary update when it was announced. About a week ago I wondered if I was even running it and discovered that lo and behold - it was the one update that Windows didn't want to do automatically. No big deal, so I install the update manually, my laptop does the thing, and boom, I have the Anniversary Update.

So I open Messenger (windows app) and OH LORD NO!! PLEASE NOOOOOO!! - Windows now hijacks emojis system wide and replaces them with their own, and they look horrible unless they're super enlarged.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else as triggered as I am about it? (It even affects emojis in browsers :()

do not have it

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Does this mean you like anime?  >_>

(Asks hopefully. lol)

Yes, haven't watched anything in the last 6 months though, but it was epic (binge watched One Punch Man :) )

I still have a few hundred episodes of Gintama to finish. Apart from that I really need to look into new stuff to watch!

3 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

as someone who was in progress of becoming an electrician (sadly the company i had my apprenticeship at went bust 2 years in) reading this just cost me 3 years of my life 

I totally understand, I tried to explain so many things throughout the years, but it's like he doesn't want to hear, so I've given up and just internally laugh/cry!!! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yes, haven't watched anything in the last 6 months though, but it was epic (binge watched One Punch Man :) )

I still have a few hundred episodes of Gintama to finish. Apart from that I really need to look into new stuff to watch!

I totally understand, I tried to explain so many things throughout the years, but it's like he doesn't want to hear, so I've given up and just internally laugh/cry!!! xD

Feel free to pm me anytime you want suggestions.  I have TONS.  ?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Mean...  ?  lol

I don't mind I guess but please if you're going to edit my posts at least do me the curtesy of using the edit tag thing to let me know.  (Where it says "edited by" and you can state a reason for the edit.)

It's when I get sneak attacked by a mod that bugs me.    If a mod wants to merge my posts or move where a topic of mine is to a more fitting section of LTT that's all fine but I hate it when a mod does something and doesn't bother to tell me that they've done it.

We do always leave a note when editing.  This was just a merge though, and I did let you know anyway ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

We do always leave a note when editing.  This was just a merge though, and I did let you know anyway ;) 

I've had topics moved without any message or notice of any kind.  That's what I was referring to.

It's annoying when I have to hunt for my topics because they were relocated without my knowledge.

I'm sure you can understand why that might bug me a bit?  ?

Edit: Whether it's you or another mod a simple "hi I moved your topic because *insert reason here* have a nice day. ?" would be appreciated.  

Edited by Bleedingyamato

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I've had topics moved without any message or notice of any kind.  That's what I was referring to.

It's annoying when I have to hunt for my topics because they were relocated without my knowledge.

I'm sure you can understand why that might bug me a bit?  ?

Edit: Whether it's you or another mod a simple "hi I moved your topic because *insert reason here* have a nice day. ?" would be appreciated.  

Ah, yes I see what you mean now.  And yes that irritation is entirely unintentional.  You might think that if/when a topic gets moved/merged that any links to it would be handled appropriately and would simply take you to the new location, but no, apparently that's too complicated for IPS to figure out xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, yes I see what you mean now.  And yes that irritation is entirely unintentional.  You might think that if/when a topic gets moved/merged that any links to it would be handled appropriately and would simply take you to the new location, but no, apparently that's too complicated for IPS to figure out xD 

What's IPS?  ?

Edit: Idk if links and stuff get broken but it's just that moving stuff without telling me is rude.  ?

Edited by Bleedingyamato

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's IPS?  ?

The company that makes the forum software.. and a running joke :D 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The company that makes the forum software.. and a running joke :D 

That they suck?  lol

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's IPS?  ?

Edit: Idk if links and stuff get broken but it's just that moving stuff without telling me is rude.  ?

On that topic, we also always leave a note when moving a topic, and generally speaking will also leave one when merging topics

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

On that topic, we also always leave a note when moving a topic, and generally speaking will also leave one when merging topics

Then someone should tell whoever moved some of my topics in the past.  Because in each case I can only think of 1 time where a mod said directly that they were moving my topic.  There were definitely other times where I wasn't told.  

Anyway, I should stop now.  This is derailing the topic a little.  ?

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

*Customer comes in and asks for replacement laptop charger*
- Do you have it with you?
No.

- Do you know what wattage it was?

No.

- Do you know what model laptop it is for?

No.

giphy.gif

"Sooo..  How's the weather sir?"  lol 

"What do you think you should do now?" ?  "Go home and get the broken charger then bring it bsck and show you?" ?  "Yes, I think that would be the logical course of action." ?  "Brb". ?      

?

xD I work as a cashier and the amount of times customers have complained about me being slow when its actually our tills (which I swear run off of P4s theyre SO DAMN SLOW (And they DEFINITELY run Windows XP. Seen them bootup many a time and they show that lovely blue Windows XP logo)) Also I would be not surprised if the debit credit machine server ran off dialup and P4 era Xeons considering how long it take to send the info through WHEN THERE IS NO FUCKING OTHER TILLS OPEN..... 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

22 minutes ago, Rune said:

*Customer comes in and asks for replacement laptop charger*
- Do you have it with you?
No.

- Do you know what wattage it was?

No.

- Do you know what model laptop it is for?

No.

give him a 230 cord lol 

51-oco1e62L._SL1270_.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

give him a 230 cord lol 

51-oco1e62L._SL1270_.jpg

or a AC'97 cord for PSU's

i'm sure it'll work fine

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

11 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My brother is like that...  I've tried to tell him that VRAM isn't the only determinant of GPU performance but he keeps saying the card in his MacBook Pro is a good card because it has 2GB of VRAM which is plenty to run games.  

I think it has a R9 M370X which has 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.   Is that decent or bad?  Idk how good/bad it is.

It's really just a slightly down-clocked hd 7770, which is the equivalent of an r7 250x. So... not very powerful. If you're not familiar with AMD the performance is below a 750 or 750 ti, and is probably around that of a 650 or 660.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@Bleedingyamato if you want to find one of your thread, you can go in your profile, click on "see my activity" and on the left click on "Topic"

this should lead you here;

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/360192-bleedingyamato/?do=content&type=forums_topic&change_section=1

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

14 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Laptop or desktop?

You left it there overnight?

Where did you leave it that it wouldn't get stolen?

That's some crazy fast internet though.  I'd love to have speeds even close to that fast.

Desktop, left it in one of the computer labs hooked up to a spare ethernet port in the back

We were having a lock-in that friday. I had just finished building and installing all my programs on the pc and since i didnt need it thursday night, i brought it in thursday, left it there overnight, and on friday i was ready to go with my entire library downloaded.

And yes the speeds are amazing even during the day when all the students and staff are here.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

@Bleedingyamato if you want to find one of your thread, you can go in your profile, click on "see my activity" and on the left click on "Topic"

this should lead you here;

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/360192-bleedingyamato/?do=content&type=forums_topic&change_section=1

Well yeah I know I can do that but if for example I post a topic in general and it ends up in some random section my activity thing would be the only easy way to find it.

It's nice to be able to go to the section where I post something and expect to find it there somewhere.  Without having to use my profile activity to find it.

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It's really just a slightly down-clocked hd 7770, which is the equivalent of an r7 250x. So... not very powerful. If you're not familiar with AMD the performance is below a 750 or 750 ti, and is probably around that of a 650 or 660.

My understanding of relative GPU performance is minimal but I know a 750 ti isn't very powerful anymore.  

It makes no sense why Apple would charge so much for a laptop with such a weak GPU.  I know laptop cards aren't going to as good as desktop ones but still, for that high a price it should have a much better GPU in it.

Edit: I assume a 750 ti is weaker than even a 4GB GTX 960 right?

Edited by Bleedingyamato

2 hours ago, kagarium said:

Desktop, left it in one of the computer labs hooked up to a spare ethernet port in the back

We were having a lock-in that friday. I had just finished building and installing all my programs on the pc and since i didnt need it thursday night, i brought it in thursday, left it there overnight, and on friday i was ready to go with my entire library downloaded.

And yes the speeds are amazing even during the day when all the students and staff are here.

So you used your desktop to play games during the lock-in thing?

That sounds like a lot of fun.  ?

At home I get 1MB down (MB not Mb) so I'm sure you can see how long it takes me to download even smaller games...  

Someday when I have my own place I'm getting faster internet.   

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My understanding of relative GPU performance is minimal but I know a 750 ti isn't very powerful anymore.  

It makes no sense why Apple would charge so much for a laptop with such a weak GPU.  I know laptop cards aren't going to as good as desktop ones but still, for that high a price it should have a much better GPU in it.

Edit: I assume a 750 ti is weaker than even a 4GB GTX 960 right?

Yeah, it's also significantly weaker than a 950.

I use one myself, and it does what I need it to do perfectly ;). They're not worth buying anymore unless you can get them for like $70, but other than VR I personally have no reason to upgrade.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

7 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Yeah, it's also significantly weaker than a 950.

I use one myself, and it does what I need it to do perfectly ;). They're not worth buying anymore unless you can get them for like $70, but other than VR I personally have no reason to upgrade.

Eh, I was given mine by a family friend who couldn't get it to work in their tower server they were using as a gaming PC. They now have a laptop with a skylake i7, and a 970M. They're pretty damn rich.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

12 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Eh, I was given mine by a family friend who couldn't get it to work in their tower server they were using as a gaming PC. They now have a laptop with a skylake i7, and a 970M. They're pretty damn rich.

What were you given?  Sorry.  I'm confused...

More so since your profile says you have a 970.  >_>