Experiences with non-techies

My mom is one of those people that doesn't care to learn the simple things so if something is wrong she assumes its a virus or the site is broken and I get summoned. Fix w/e it is and then she talks to her friends as if I'm some kind of god. Its kinda embarrassing the way she talks about it and I'm there with them starring at me.

Same thing w/ my mom except my mom doesn't show me off as a techie, she kind of shoots down my love of tech.

My mom is one of those people that doesn't care to learn the simple things so if something is wrong she assumes its a virus or the site is broken and I get summoned. Fix w/e it is and then she talks to her friends as if I'm some kind of god. Its kinda embarrassing the way she talks about it and I'm there with them starring at me.

I hate when my parents brag about my techiness in general. All of their relatives or friends are always asking me stupid questions and such.

Life.exe is missing

My little sister thinks she's a lot better protographer than I am. Says a person who can't use nearly any manual controls on any camera, ever (besides zoom).

Also my mother likes to loan my DSLR quite often, even though it isn't good for shooting in P-mode only (the only mode the rest of my family can use, really. Saying it's not that good for P-mode shooting, as it's a bit old DSLR, not too modern to be easily usable like a point-and-shoot)

I'm just 24/7 tech support for my family, basically. They think they can interrupt me whenever they want (like 11.00 PM if I'm trying to sleep) and get me fix things for free. If I say I can't do that even if I explain it isn't possible (like dismantling a tablet to put in a SIM card in a nonexistent SIM slot), they'll ask the same question from my godparent, and he would answer the same way I did.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

It sucks when parents have a techie child and refer to me for tech support. Then they pressure you to get the right answer, even if you don't know.

So, I was helping my dad replace a hard drive in his computer. It was a huge pain.

Me: So the first thing you do is unplug the hard drive.

Dad: Ok, how?

Me: Just unplug the data cable from the hard drive. Then the power cable.

Dad: This one? *points to Molex connector*

Me: No.

Dad: *points to floppy power*

Me: NOOOO.

Dad: Screw this. You do it. Get that hard drive in within half an hour or else you get spanked.

Me: WHAT?? WHY? A BIT HARSH THERE.

For God's sake, why? I mean, he didn't know how to install a simple hard drive? I mean, he works for SEAGATE!!!!!!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It sucks when parents have a techie child and refer to me for tech support. Then they pressure you to get the right answer, even if you don't know.

So, I was helping my dad replace a hard drive in his computer. It was a huge pain.

Dad: Screw this. You do it. Get that hard drive in within half an hour or else you get whipped.

For God's sake, why? I mean, he didn't know how to install a simple hard drive? I mean, he works for SEAGATE!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

OT: Is that you in your Instagram?

Well, he had a whip, and he wasn't afraid to use it. #AsianParents

Well, i forgot your Instagram.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So the camera that I have now is pretty good if i'm taking pictures of stationary objects with shit loads of light but not so good when video/pictures are taken in low-ish light. Because my 15th birthday happened a month ago and I got money from everyone instead of actual gifts and I had some cash, I figured that I'd spend $500 and get an entry level dslr. Well my mom is convinced that FOR A CAMERA that is a shitload of money and that I'M TOO YOUNG AT 15 YEARS OLD and waaaayyy too irresponsible with my things to be able to get that. She has agreed to me selling my current camera (which I will sell for $275 in case anybody is interested) and using part of the $500 that I already have. Ofc, my mom is totally cool with spending retarded amounts ($150+) single fashion related items but pissed off when I try to use my own money to buy something tech related.

/rant

Dad: Screw this. You do it. Get that hard drive in within half an hour or else you get whipped.

Your dad works at Seagate?!?! What does he do there?

Yep. That would be classified as child abuse. Maybe tell that to the authorities @terrytek?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Your dad works at Seagate?!?! What does he do there?

He maintains the machines that make the platters.

Yep. That would be classified as child abuse. Maybe tell that to the authorities @terrytek?

I don't feel like doing so. He's my dad.

EDIT: @Ruostunut kokis, it's edited.

I don't feel like doing so. He's my dad.

EDIT: @Ruostunut kokis, it's edited.

Still would be at least sort of child abuse. Maybe haven't gotten physical, but just saying that it could be psychological child abuse, threatening like that.

Still would be at least sort of child abuse. Maybe haven't gotten physical, but just saying that it could be psychological child abuse, threatening like that.

Dude, I remember the convo wrong. He was threatening to spank me, not whip me.

Dad: Screw this. You do it. Get that hard drive in within half an hour or else you get spanked.

Thats a really long time he gave you its not hard or time consuming to replace a hard drive.

Thats a really long time he gave you its not hard or time consuming to replace a hard drive.

Well, he thought it would take a while. He thought wrong. I got it done in less than 10 seconds.

-snip-

I'm just 24/7 tech support for my family, basically. They think they can interrupt me whenever they want (like 11.00 PM if I'm trying to sleep) and get me fix things for free. If I say I can't do that even if I explain it isn't possible (like dismantling a tablet to put in a SIM card in a nonexistent SIM slot), they'll ask the same question from my godparent, and he would answer the same way I did.

Same thing here ^_^

At least my family sees the opportunities that I have with my passion.

Story time!

My aunt and I had a disagreement couple days ago about something very "obnoxious" about her Samsung Tablet. Guess what it was, a widget that she didn't know how to remove. I showed her how to remove it and basically told her to try it by herself but she didn't agree with me and made that simple "try it by yourself" into one huge drama at my other aunt's house. -_-

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Dude, I remember the convo wrong. He was threatening to spank me, not whip me.

I was aware of that. I still had my point. Spanking isn't exactly legal AFAIK. Same goes for threatening.

Okay, let's maybe not get this any more serious that it is right now? And stay on topic? It was just my take on that.

Aaand guess what? I have to fix my little sister's laptop, as she managed to somehow break Ubuntu without touching any files nor used terminal. She said it just stopped working while she was web browsing... I call bullsh*t.

*Sigh*

Aaand guess what? I have to fix my little sister's laptop, as she managed to somehow break Ubuntu without touching any files nor used terminal. She said it just stopped working while she was web browsing... I call bullsh*t.

*Sigh*

Break it even more for her. Then tell her to fix it by herself.

Break it even more for her. Then tell her to fix it by herself.

We're poor, and while our laptops are old, we can't afford to get any better ones, or even buy for example cheap 20€ Windows 8 licences for them (and one charger for one of the laptops, my sister broke it... again.) And I ain't paying them out of my pocket THIS time. If they want to get things better, they better pay for better things.

We're poor, and while our laptops are old, we can't afford to get any better ones, or even buy for example cheap 20€ Windows 8 licences for them (and one charger for one of the laptops, my sister broke it... again.) And I ain't paying them out of my pocket THIS time.

Well that's the price she pays for being annoying. Brothers and sisters are like that. My brother always loves to break stuff and ask me to fix it.

My grandma was scared half to death that I would kill her computer doing an upgrade...

I was just throwing my WD2500AAKX in to put my stuff on and for FRAPS to use (so the system is a touch more responsive while recording and loading).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well that's the price she pays for being annoying. Brothers and sisters are like that. My brother always loves to break stuff and ask me to fix it.

It sucks for trying to help lost causes. My family wants faster and more stable laptops out of their current ones for free, which is rather impossible. It would be great if my mother actually gone and searched for a job instead of just chilling unemployed for 2 years by now... I'm currently the only one in my family who has a job (summer job, but I guess it counts too).

It sucks for trying to help lost causes. My family wants faster and more stable laptops out of their current ones for free, which is rather impossible. It would be great if my mother actually gone and searched for a job instead of just chilling unemployed for 2 years by now... I'm currently the only one in my family who has a job (summer job, but I guess it counts too).

Seriously, not even your dad has a job?

Seriously, not even your dad has a job?

He's been dead for 4 years now.