Experiences with non-techies

4 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

I did what I could to explain that anything related to "auto driver updater" or "pc-fixer" was obviously harmful, but she's a stubborn old bat that won't admit when she's wrong. So, what else could I do but clean the PC up, get rid of the infinite amount of taskbars on Explorer, then let her make the same mistakes over and over again? I had half a mind to take her computer out of it's misery and snap the CPU in half </3 

id drop in a new CPU, a more powerfull replacement wouldent be too expensive, $10 or so to get the best one supported by the motherboard lol and if you happen to live in Sweden(im 99.99% certain you dont) id gladly sent over a few 512mb sticks of DDR lol, i have a 60 or so stick pile now of assorted DDR memory lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Something else my grandma tried to correct me on....

She told me her 11 year old computer could handle Windows 10, which I immediately shot down (but politely, of course) lol As I went to clean and fix her PC, I noticed the CPU fan was at the bottom of the case, one of her (512mb) DIMM sticks had completely snapped in half, cat hair completely clogged everything from fans, ATA wires... To what resembled a sound card..

I never wanted to yell at my own grandma so much in my li.... *facepalm* I have such wonderful older family members....

Grandma's PC_Ink_LI.jpg

I can't even. 

Glad my grandma knows about computers. :) 

her computer has skylake, :( 

thing is, her PC only had two hdds and not a sad. Still boots faster than my computer..

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nice SmartPCFixer install, surely not malware, scam ware, ect... lol. still, this computer is a beast compared to my first computer i used. it has almost twice the amount of RAM and a segnificantly better CPU then the P4 pice of shit it had lol

Mine was an sempron 2500+ from my dad 

4gb of ram

a fx 5200 I think

and a gorgeous 1080p display :) 

I will have to assume he's pcmr at this point 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

I can't even. 

Glad my grandma knows about computers. :) 

her computer has skylake, :( 

thing is, her PC only had two hdds and not a sad. Still boots faster than my computer..

Mine was an sempron 2500+ from my dad 

4gb of ram

a fx 5200 I think

and a gorgeous 1080p display :) 

I will have to assume he's pcmr at this point 

i feel like booting up my first computer again, its painfully slow so i probably wont but i think it has the 3.4GHz P4 lol. its sitting less then a meter away from me right now xD im going to take it with me wherever i move in the world to remind me what pushed me into computers lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i feel like booting up my first computer again, its painfully slow so i probably wont but i think it has the 3.4GHz P4 lol. its sitting less then a meter away from me right now xD im going to take it with me wherever i move in the world to remind me what pushed me into computers lol

I went from a 2500+ sempron to a p4 3.4ghz to a pd 3.4ghz to an i5 760 (rip 2010-2015) to an i7 3770k

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I went from a 2500+ sempron to a p4 3.4ghz to a pd 3.4ghz to an i5 760 (rip 2010-2015) to an i7 3770k

if you still have the motherboard for that I5 you can sell it off for $80 easy. they are scarce AF while the CPUs are dirt cheap and still OK lol. anyway i went from P4 to Imac whateverthefuck to AMD quad core APU laptop to FX 6300 Black Edition to my today I5 4690K lol. iv also owned and used a Q6600, I3 530, I5 680, Atom 550 and an I7 2600 but they were all in the LAN PC, exept the atom, the atom was in my super shitty micto laptop(i fucking miss it so bad but it was horrible...)

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not my computer but I was my Parent's first computer for their business. It still works but the HDD is dead so I wasn't able to get into Windows 95 :P

Its got 640kb of ram and a single core pentium at 133mhz

20170222_164435.jpg

20170222_164503.jpg

20170222_164519.jpg

2 minutes ago, brickster said:

Not my computer but I was my Parent's first computer for their business. It still works but the HDD is dead so I wasn't able to get into Windows 95 :P

if it wasent 11pm id go fetch my moms first laptop(if i can find it). its from the mid 80s sometime lol. needs a disket to boot of and seeing as i dont have that iv never seen the shitfest it is lol. its probably even more of a relic then this lol. 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if you still have the motherboard for that I5 you can sell it off for $80 easy. they are scarce AF while the CPUs are dirt cheap and still OK lol. anyway i went from P4 to Imac whateverthefuck to AMD quad core APU laptop to FX 6300 Black Edition to my today I5 4690K lol. iv also owned and used a Q6600, I3 530, I5 680, Atom 550 and an I7 2600 but they were all in the LAN PC, exept the atom, the atom was in my super shitty micto laptop(i fucking miss it so bad but it was horrible...)

Oh, my dad put an i5 750 in there and overclocked it. I don't know what he's doing with it now since he has a 6700k ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, brickster said:

20170222_164435.jpg

20170222_164503.jpg

20170222_164519.jpg

I suspect that my dad had a 8008/8086 before he got his i386 computer, but that motherboard and CPU got sold. I have the i386 motherboard (cyrix CPU) :) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

You guys ever notice how many products are coming with WiFi now days? I SHIT YOU NOT Hot water heaters now have WiFi connectivity. WTF. I mean do people really need that level of control of their hot water heater? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

You guys ever notice how many products are coming with WiFi now days? I SHIT YOU NOT Hot water heaters now have WiFi connectivity. WTF. I mean do people really need that level of control of their hot water heater? 

It's so that when your on vacation and come back home you can immediately take a nice hot shower because you could turn the water hot beforehand, duh! Saves you 30 whole seconds! It's amazing!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

14 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Lol, I use it all the time.  (I get it for like a $1.50 at work)

I've had no issues with it :D  Don't hate me for using it.

I don't hate you for using it.  lol

Though some Arctic silver 5 or better yet MX-4 would probably work better and I'm pretty sure be entirely non-electrically conductive.  

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Though some Arctic silver 5 or better yet MX-4 would probably work better and I'm pretty sure be entirely non-electrically conductive.  

Possibly, but acquiring this is cheap and convenient 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

20 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Possibly, but acquiring this is cheap and convenient 

hey, as long as it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i used the stuff included with my ShadowRock2 untill i ran out and it was just some shitty ceramic paste lol

Builds:

Spoiler

So normally I dread getting out of bed, but when I silenced my alarm this morning, and spied a notification of Linus covering the Ryzen release press conference, I freaked out and quite literally jumped out of bed.

Woot. Can't wait for the reviews.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

So normally I dread getting out of bed, but when I silenced my alarm this morning, and spied a notification of Linus covering the Ryzen release press conference, I freaked out and quite literally jumped out of bed.

Woot. Can't wait for the reviews.

I think I almost shat my pants when I realized the rumored prices were true... $330 FOR AN 8 CORE THAT ACTUALLY HAS GOOD IPC?!? YEAH BOIIIIII

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It's so that when your on vacation and come back home you can immediately take a nice hot shower because you could turn the water hot beforehand, duh! Saves you 30 whole seconds! It's amazing!

We have never turned our hot water heater on vacation mode. We never will. At most we are only gone a few days. Plus vacations are so expensive we tend to stay home. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, themctipers said:

#Rekt

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

A friend of mine once said that you need to pay for G-Mail...  #Facepalm

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

i use generic coolermaster one

why? because mx4 is expensive for like what? 3c drop? (at max, assuming my current paste is dogshit)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My parents (who are actually very good with tech but I still help them sometimes. Saves me a lot of time though and they know what I am talking about when I talk computers) think iphones are better and have made me get an iphone every time I got a new phone almost as if android is something they needed to protect me from. Luckily I convinced them to let me get an android next time I upgrade so Pixel XL here I come :D 

There was also a guy I saw at walmart trying out the PS4 they had on display. However, he had no clue how to use the controller and tried to use the TV as a touchscreen. I go up to him and point to the controller and tell him that's how you use it. He had the most confused look on his face and continued trying to use the tv as a touchscreen. I use the controller and he looked at me like I was a wizard. 

Then there was the one kid who tried to plug his mouse into the HDMI port. I told him that it goes in a usb port and showed him where. This was a computer science student by the way. He should really know better.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

5 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

My parents (who are actually very good with tech but I still help them sometimes. Saves me a lot of time though and they know what I am talking about when I talk computers) think iphones are better and have made me get an iphone every time I got a new phone almost as if android is something they needed to protect me from. Luckily I convinced them to let me get an android next time I upgrade so Pixel XL here I come :D 

There was also a guy I saw at walmart trying out the PS4 they had on display. However, he had no clue how to use the controller and tried to use the TV as a touchscreen. I go up to him and point to the controller and tell him that's how you use it. He had the most confused look on his face and continued trying to use the tv as a touchscreen. I use the controller and he looked at me like I was a wizard. 

Then there was the one kid who tried to plug his mouse into the HDMI port. I told him that it goes in a usb port and showed him where. This was a computer science student by the way. He should really know better.

One time I plugged in RCA in 3.5mm

well, tried. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

One time I plugged in RCA in 3.5mm

well, tried. 

I've been there. I was trying to figure out how to hook up an RCA cable to a component connector. 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

3 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

I've been there. I was trying to figure out how to hook up an RCA cable to a component connector. 

I don't have any component sources but my 1200p monitor has component 

my parents used composite over HDMI until 2015, where I gave them three HDMI cables. :P 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.