Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Mine would also have to be dropping it while moving in to my new place. Dog started acting stupid while I was going up the stairs and cut me off....trip....drop....tumble tumble. surprisingly the only thing that broke was the PSU fan

I put the clock of a dual core to 6GHz

Really, how did you manage that?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I'v had a few, recently I tried to put an 6+2 pin pcie power cable into the 8pin motherboard power for about an hour... oh ma I felt stupid. And of course I have broken multiple linux distro's through tinkering, lost all my data a few times, now I back everything up religously though..

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Since my first computer at the age of around 6-7 I've been quite lucky, I'm very cautious so that might have helped because I think the worst thing I did was forgetting to apply thermal paste on a Pentium 4 3.73GHz and wondering why it was hitting something like 70 degrees about 10 years ago, but I've grown up since then and have never repeated that little piece of incompetance.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I tried using a 32-bit WIN 7 cd to repair my PC when I have a 64-bit version installed..... It deleted the boot loader file causing me to lose all of my data and forcing me to reinstall win 7

CPU Intel I7-4770k - Motherboard MSI G45 Gaming - RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB !866MHz - GPU Sapphire Dual-x R9-270x Crossfire - Case Fractal Design R4 - Storage SSD-120GB Kingston HyperX 3K + HDD-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - PSU Corsair CX750 - Display Asus VH236H 23inch - Cooling Corsair H100i - Keyboard Razer Black Widow 2013 - Mouse Razer Death Adder 2013 - Sound Astro A40s - OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Since my first computer at the age of around 6-7 I've been quite lucky, I'm very cautious so that might have helped because I think the worst thing I did was forgetting to apply thermal paste on a Pentium 4 3.73GHz and wondering why it was hitting something like 70 degrees about 10 years ago, but I've grown up since then and have never repeated that little piece of incompetance.

3.7ghz P4? o.O

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I divided by zero...

Seriously though, it would have to be the time I thought a graphics card had died because I didn't push the HDMI connector in fully, then reseated the card, fixed the HDMI cable, and forgot the plug in the PCIe 6 pin, then repeated these mistakes for a good 20 minutes, until I eventually got it right and the card worked. 

Buying a gateway.

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
    16 Gig of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3000 Mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 Series 250GB for boot + WD 2TB Black
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

the first time i got a pc i was around 7 years old, it ran Windows 95 and i removed the "System32" Folder^^

Good news everyone...!

the first time i got a pc i was around 7 years old, it ran Windows 95 and i removed the "System32" Folder^^

I bet the computer wasn't impressed after that lol

Buying a brown motherboard with blue ram slots and blue pcie slots and red RAM. It is so ugly I can't take it anymore!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Went to have a BroLan with my buddy. Was a 3 day session of non stop pc gaming of all different flavors. Spilled beer all over my BRAND NEW keyboard before I had even sat down to use it. Luckily it was before I knew about mechanical so it was only a $40 Sidewinder x4.

I bet the computer wasn't impressed after that lol

Neither was my granddad :D

Two years later, i learnd what "format c:" meant...the hard way :D

Good news everyone...!

rofl yea, but now you know right:P

Can't say that I've done that. :P Curious about his trust concerning you and computers after that! haha

Probabaly the biggest and worst mistake was installing windows 8. Windows 8 completly destroyed my partition table, so i had to restore about 1,8 TB of Data.

Even Linux didn't make such a mess...

Good news everyone...!

Not me but a temp guy that was working with me.

Putting cat 5 into an old school 400 network sockets.

They decided they wanted the cab moved to the room next door..... Now 400 numbered and grouped cables needed to be 6 meters shorter...

Asked this guy to do the work.... 20 Min later he said "so what else do you want me to do" 

He just cut the cables and did not renumber them !!! Never felt so ill...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

A large glass of water and a laptop does not mix well :s

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

I wanted to clean my computer so i stuck a vacuum cleaner in there and killed my 500GB boot drive, was fine though because we spent the whole day driving around my little town looking for a shop that sold hard drives and found a new one, being about 15 i didn't loose anything important. 

CPU: Core i7 950 @ Stock Cooled by an H80i with Corsair SP120's in push-pull

GPU: Windforce X3 GTX670 @ 1176MHz

RAM: 2GBx6 of Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

Destroying an 8 year old computer. Pretty simple it just starts beeping and nothing happens. And no, not the good beeps. i may have been modding it when it stopped working. Yet I still have a working 13 year old computer. I think I have a computer older than some people on this forums!

your not the only 1 i still have a zx81, atari 800 and a compaq portable from the 80's i know the later 2 still work but i cant find the power brick for the zx81. funny though i will keep old tech but i rarely keep pc parts.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Accidentally moved /bin to /var/www on my server, it fucked up everything and i had to reinstall :(