Consoles may get 4K Hardware upgrade

Craider

Go play some of my favourite games of all time? ,,,, erm ok :P

Still there was bad games back then, just as there is now, there are bad games every year :D and there are great ones too

Tell me a game that has matched Hl2 in the last 4 years .

I think the integrity of game development is being corrupted by money and the indies are our salvation.

Just Sayin'. Indie scene is also a shitpile to drudge through. But yes, atleast there are some gems to be found.

At least they are trying to innovate.

And dont ask you for micro transactions every 2 minutes.

Rumor has been out for a while that AMD is building a new 20nm APU for a XBOX refresh. Makes me wonder if they will upgrade to Puma while adding in GCN 1.2.

Wouldn't that be a big "FU" to the customers though? And it kind of breaks the system of development for games being they only have to optimize for one hardware config, hell by that point they might as well be full on PC's not just from a x86 stand point, but with varying hardware. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

What I want to know is why they would do this. It seems like a complete waste of money.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Tell me a game that has matched Hl2 in the last 4 years .

I think the integrity of game development is being corrupted by money and the indies are our salvation.

Some games I think are amazing that came out since 2011

Portal 2

Deus Ex HR

Uncharted 3

Dark Souls 1 and 2

Rage (i liked it)

Frozen Synapse

The Last Of Us

Heavy Rain

Metro Last Light

Mass Effect

Spec Ops The Line

Bioshock Infinite

Wolf Among us

Skyrim

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Some games I think are amazing that came out since 2011

Portal 2

Deus Ex HR

Uncharted 3

Dark Souls 1 and 2

Rage (i liked it)

Frozen Synapse

The Last Of Us

Heavy Rain

Metro Last Light

Mass Effect

Spec Ops The Line

Bioshock Infinite

Wolf Among us

Skyrim

I will give you portal 2. xD

Spec ops the line was also pretty different.

I loathed the combat system on infinite and i know TB agrees with me also on that one.

SOFTWARE UPGRADE

NOT HARDWARE.

There is a difference.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Fitting, because that's what the next-gen consoles are already.

Well that to but this is just pointless. At least you get some benefits going from a PS3 to a PS4. With this you will only get a downgrade in performance. How would you like to play your games at 10fps, oooooo that cinematic feel.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Wouldn't that be a big "FU" to the customers though? And it kind of breaks the system of development for games being they only have to optimize for one hardware config, hell by that point they might as well be full on PC's not just from a x86 stand point, but with varying hardware. 

That's the exact beauty of next generation consoles being a x86 platform. Puma is only a power optimized Jaguar core. So 8 Puma cores would provide the same performance as 8 Jaguar cores at a lower power envelope while at the same clock. The same goes for upgrading the GPU architecture which still remains based on GCN. With power consumption and TDP cuts they can pack extra hardware into the newer consoles such as upgrading the shader count for more rendering horsepower and providing higher base CPU frequencies. These changes will have no adverse effect on existing games other than coming to expect smoother frame rates. Game developers who are in the process of building a game for the existing platform can also port it to the newer console to add additional detail or features. The only adverse effect would be games made for the newer console might not being able to run as well on the older model. Tho developers can easily program in a check to distinguish between the two to maintain universal compatibility across both devices (e.g. kick down level of detail on the older model). Or they can keep the same exact hardware configuration while upgrading to Puma and GCN 1.2 to retain the same performance margins while increasing efficiency and maintaining today's standards. Tho I'm not sure why they would release a new console without it being at least slightly stronger than its predecessor. Unless they decide to slimline it and make it much smaller and sleeker since its heat output and power consumption won't be nearly as large (XBOX Compact?).

Fitting, because that's what the next-gen consoles are already.

Careful, they tend to get butthurt when you point that out.

Too bad 4K content other than games doesn't really exist, especially since this won't be for playing games, and specifically is for 4k content that isn't games.....which doesn't exist.

YAY CONSOLE! Walled Gardens ftw....but not really

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Considering current consoles can barely run graphics intensive games at 1080p this seems to be ridiculous. And just because you can connect a console to a 4k monitor it doesn't mean you can play it at that resolution. Consoles have no options when it comes to resolution so none of these makes any sense.

Exactly this is what makes me think that it's just a marketing strategy to make unknowing customers believe they will be playing at 4k.

All about sales

Careful, they tend to get butthurt when you point that out.

Too bad 4K content other than games doesn't really exist, especially since this won't be for playing games, and specifically is for 4k content that isn't games.....which doesn't exist.

YAY CONSOLE! Walled Gardens ftw....but not really

You must not be a avid user of streaming services. Netflix is picking up steam with streaming UHD content.

You must not be a avid user of streaming services. Netflix is picking up steam with streaming UHD content.

No, I just don't have a 4k monitor. And I have yet to see a 4k uhd label anywhere on netflix....probably because I don't have a 4k monitor lol

Either way, 4k gaming on those shitboxes is just not going to happen. Not unless AMD has discover a source of unobtanium to mine money from.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That's the exact beauty of next generation consoles being a x86 platform. Puma is only a power optimized Jaguar core. So 8 Puma cores would provide the same performance as 8 Jaguar cores at a lower power envelope while at the same clock. The same goes for upgrading the GPU architecture which still remains based on GCN. With power consumption and TDP cuts they can pack extra hardware into the newer consoles such as upgrading the shader count for more rendering horsepower and providing higher base CPU frequencies. These changes will have no adverse effect on existing games other than coming to expect smoother frame rates. Game developers who are in the process of building a game for the existing platform can also port it to the newer console to add additional detail or features. The only adverse effect would be games made for the newer console not being able to run as well on the older model. Tho developers can easily program in a check to distinguish between the two to maintain universal compatibility across both devices (e.g. kick down level of detail on the older model). Or they can keep the same exact hardware configuration while upgrading to Puma and GCN 1.2 to retain the same performance margins while increasing efficiency and maintaining today's standards. Tho I'm not sure why they would release a new console without it being at least slightly stronger than its predecessor. Unless they decide to slimline it and make it much smaller and sleeker since its heat output and power consumption won't be nearly as large.

I can only imagine its for heat/power efficiency, added performance would just make existing non "Xbone Slim" customers angry they don't have the better version. Hell with some nice jumps in efficiency you could have a Xbone not much bigger than a NUC. Limited by the need for a Bluray drive but other than that? 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

That's the exact beauty of next generation consoles being a x86 platform. Puma is only a power optimized Jaguar core. So 8 Puma cores would provide the same performance as 8 Jaguar cores at a lower power envelope while at the same clock. The same goes for upgrading the GPU architecture which still remains based on GCN. With power consumption and TDP cuts they can pack extra hardware into the newer consoles such as upgrading the shader count for more rendering horsepower and providing higher base CPU frequencies. These changes will have no adverse effect on existing games other than coming to expect smoother frame rates. Game developers who are in the process of building a game for the existing platform can also port it to the newer console to add additional detail or features. The only adverse effect would be games made for the newer console might not being able to run as well on the older model. Tho developers can easily program in a check to distinguish between the two to maintain universal compatibility across both devices (e.g. kick down level of detail on the older model). Or they can keep the same exact hardware configuration while upgrading to Puma and GCN 1.2 to retain the same performance margins while increasing efficiency and maintaining today's standards. Tho I'm not sure why they would release a new console without it being at least slightly stronger than its predecessor. Unless they decide to slimline it and make it much smaller and sleeker since its heat output and power consumption won't be nearly as large (XBOX Compact?).

if history is something to go by, its only going to be a die shrink and node process shrink, just look at the 360, they revised the hardware 5 times, only to cut power draw, heat and also to reduce manufacturing costs, they are never going to upgrade the processing capabilities of the consoles until they release the next generation which are going to be almost a decade away looking at how long last gen has been around, the 360 is 10 years old this fall, ps3 is 9, there's no way they are going to kill parity with just a refresh of the hardware, each console has 10 million users already

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

No, I just don't have a 4k monitor. And I have yet to see a 4k uhd label anywhere on netflix....probably because I don't have a 4k monitor lol

Either way, 4k gaming on those shitboxes is just not going to happen. Not unless AMD has discover a source of unobtanium to mine money from.

You do need a UHD monitor to enjoy the content. Tho you also need to upgrade to the $12.99 package in order to unlock UHD content.

I can only imagine its for heat/power efficiency, added performance would just make existing non "Xbone Slim" customers angry they don't have the better version. Hell with some nice jumps in efficiency you could have a Xbone not much bigger than a NUC. Limited by the need for a Bluray drive but other than that? 

Well if the rumor holds true there will be slight performance gains (not significant) from jumping down process nodes (maybe around ~5%). Tho I don't see why they wouldn't use Puma and GCN 1.2 as drop in upgrades. Which is likely since GCN 1.2 brings forth VCE 3.1 which incorporates the HEVC standard which will be needed for UHD content. I imagine a smaller form factor machine with slightly better performance (all tho they certainly won't advertise it as such).

if history is something to go by, its only going to be a die shrink and node process shrink, just look at the 360, they revised the hardware 5 times, only to cut power draw, heat and also to reduce manufacturing costs, they are never going to upgrade the processing capabilities of the consoles until they release the next generation which are going to be almost a decade away looking at how long last gen has been around, the 360 is 10 years old this fall, ps3 is 9, there's no way they are going to kill parity with just a refresh of the hardware, each console has 10 million users already

I don't necessarily think they will target added performance myself either. As a XBOX "Slim" would be a better product to market to consumers without raising alarm.

hahaha

15  fps is better then 30fps

eye cant se faster then 15fps xD HAHHAHA