World’s first (known) bootkit for OS X can permanently backdoor Macs

BluntestTech

Its few days old news but havent seen that anyone would have posted it and its kind of interesting.

Securing Macs against stealthy malware infections could get more complicated thanks to a new proof-of-concept exploit that allows attackers with brief physical access to covertly replace the firmware of most machines built since 2011.
Once installed, the bootkit—that is, malware that replaces the firmware that is normally used to boot Macs—can control the system from the very first instruction. That allows the malware to bypass firmware passwords, passwords users enter to decrypt hard drives and to preinstall backdoors in the operating system before it starts running. Because it's independent of the operating system and hard drive, it will survive both reformatting and OS reinstallation. And since it replaces the digital signature Apple uses to ensure only authorized firmware runs on Macs, there are few viable ways to disinfect infected boot systems. The proof-of-concept is the first of its kind on the OS X platform. While there are no known instances of bootkits for OS X in the wild, there is currently no way to detect them, either.

Source:  http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/worlds-first-known-bootkit-for-os-x-can-permanently-backdoor-macs/

EDIT: Additional source: http://thehackernews.com/2015/01/thunderstrike-infecting-apple-macbooks.html

more in-depth source: https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike_31c3

16141422325_56ea9c46f0.jpg

B-but macs can't get viruses... /s

How does it spread? I know it's currently a proof-of-concept, but are there any feasible vectors for infection already available? (aside from what was stated in the article)

Impossible. Everyone knows Macs don't get viruses. 

No but in all seriousness there is a serious problem and it's Apple's fault for miss informing (or not correcting misinformation) its customers that their PC's don't get viruses or hacked when they always did.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Isn't this the exact reason why thunderbolt isn't adopted on pc yet? Because the thunderbolt standard allows this to happen

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Yeah this could turn into a sticky situation...

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

firmwares has always been a security issue

i dont think there will ever be a way to protect ur self against it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Who'd have thought - giving plug-and-play peripherals access to low-level system components is an insane security risk.

So you would have to format all drives and reflash all of the component BIOSes and all of the hardware firmwares to get rid of this?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

The attacker has to have physical access to the device, therefore, it is not as bad as it sounds. But still something that Apple needs to address.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

it's Apple's fault for miss informing (or not correcting misinformation) its customers that their PC's don't get viruses or hacked when they always did.

Gonna need a source on this one.

Who'd have thought - giving plug-and-play peripherals access to low-level system components is an insane security risk.

So you would have to format all drives and reflash all of the component BIOSes and all of the hardware firmwares to get rid of this?

Well it seems like it would be extremely hard to remove and even replacing your storage device or reinstalling OS wouldnt remove it. Basicly it has full control over your system.  And how would you remove something you cant detect or know that its there ?

Now that macs are getting more popular it's time for apple to increase security, 'Nuff said. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

well actually http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html

before that Apple had kind of claimed that "claimed" that Macs are immune to viruses.

i dont think Apple has actually directly claimed that Macs dont get viruses or admitted that Macs can get viruses

I already know the answer, I looked it up before I submitted the comment.

They said that Macs don't get Windows viruses, that's it.

This is weeks old

Also, it's basically just BadUSB for thunderbolt

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Most antivirus softwares and firewalls now days have protection against malware from USB devices.

I'm sorry did you check that it's a hardware vulnerability in USB that still hasn't been fixed since it's started being adopted?

So you're saying all you need is an anti-virus to fix an underlying hardware issue that cannot be fixed it seems?

This whole thunderbolt issue is just BadUSB essentially.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

well actually http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html

before that Apple had kind of claimed that "claimed" that Macs are immune to viruses.

-snip-

I think what's even worse is what they told their employees:

Important: Apple does not provide support or assistance in removal or diagnosis of malware. If the customer's Apple product is eligible for support, Advisors should determine that the Apple product is working properly by isolating the issue and ruling out any issues with Apple product.

Important:

Do not confirm or deny that any such software has been installed.

Do not attempt to remove or uninstall any malware software.

They told their employees to ignore the whole thing like it didn't exist.

I already know the answer, I looked it up before I submitted the comment.

They said that Macs don't get Windows viruses, that's it.

There is no way you can seriously deny that Apple has been feeding the "Macs can't get viruses" myth for ages. Even if they have not said anything factually incorrect it is pretty clear that the message has been misinterpreted by their fanbase and they have done nothing to correct it.

Ouch, that's nasty. Although didn't they just recently find something similar on USB?

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/

http://gizmodo.com/usb-has-a-fundamental-security-flaw-that-you-cant-detec-1613833339

Yeah it seems like this is very similar. Just that it uses Thunderbolt instead of USB.

Although one difference (I think) is that the USB exploit might not pass Secure Boot, while this exploit might.

I think what's even worse is what they told their employees:

They told their employees to ignore the whole thing like it didn't exist.

There is no way you can seriously deny that Apple has been feeding the "Macs can't get viruses" myth for ages. Even if they have not said anything factually incorrect it is pretty clear that the message has been misinterpreted by their fanbase and they have done nothing to correct it.

Yeah it seems like this is very similar. Just that it uses Thunderbolt instead of USB.

All I'm saying is that Apple has never made the claims that are being purported here.

Gonna need a source on this one.

PC vs MAC commercials.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ouch, that's nasty. Although didn't they just recently find something similar on USB?

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/

http://gizmodo.com/usb-has-a-fundamental-security-flaw-that-you-cant-detec-1613833339

This is old but no one gave a fuck untill bad USB was out to public.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Although one difference (I think) is that the USB exploit might not pass Secure Boot, while this exploit might.

That seems to be down to Thunderbolt having direct boot access and is farther up the hierarchy than USB.

I wonder how Intel let this slip by though, especially considering TB is supposed to be marketed towards high end, and professional markets.

Or, there's a chance they knew, didn't care and it'll be fixed with TB v3, leaving previous users in a bad spot. 

Once again, never let anyone plug anything random in your system, as a security precaution. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I'm sorry did you check that it's a hardware vulnerability in USB that still hasn't been fixed since it's started being adopted?

So you're saying all you need is an anti-virus to fix an underlying hardware issue that cannot be fixed it seems?

This whole thunderbolt issue is just BadUSB essentially.

Oh sorry didnt check but most manufactures have taken action against BadUSB and some types of USB devices ( most likely ones that have encryption build in) are atleast based on what i know immune to infection. BadUSB also seems to need system that has automatic usb installation enabled