Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

No. You need to register.

Exactly, that is why his links are wrong, you are not registered.

If you visit while signed into a Microsoft account, like my system, you are automatically signed up the moment you click join, since they already know your info. Regardless, it's easy as hell to get into You just have to read through and agree that insiders deal with bugs, and are beta testers for software, and shit may go wrong, and you may lose data. If you agree to that, and click on you agree, done, you're in.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Because VirtualBox doesn't allow x64 windows WM's, atleas for some reason i cant use then on 4.3.16. I am assuming that is what the OP is using as well, as it is the newest version.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in a VM just fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in a VM just fine.

I only received the option later, after I did something, I don't know what. But regardless of that VB is broke for me, I am never putting it on my PC again, I have basically given up on trying the preview simply because VB would cause my entire PC issues.

I am too tired of fiddling for now to try a different WM program.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I only received the option later, after I did something, I don't know what. But regardless of that VB is broke for me, I am never putting it on my PC again, I have basically given up on trying the preview simply because VB would cause my entire PC issues.

I am too tired of fiddling for now to try a different WM program.

I've only had problems with VirtualBox trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium x64, but I think that's more of the ISO's fault.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've only had problems with VirtualBox trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium x64, but I think that's more of the ISO's fault.

The issues I had were only caused by VB itself, the ISO was never involved, I never got to the point of using it. 

VB spawned 3 WM exe's that I couldn't close, I had to force my PC off as the exe's were preventing a normal shutdown. 

The WM window that appeared didn't respond to any interaction as well, at least I was able to close that one. 

The program never made any progress in "starting virtual machine processes", I have no idea what caused it, regardless of the reason it was unacceptable behavior from such a program.

Next time I started my PC the applications that are supposed to load at start-up loaded slower, I have my OS on an SSD, I am not touching VB ever again...

VB worked on the school PC I used, but on this one it is a solid nope.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

The issues I had were only caused by VB itself, the ISO was never involved, I never got to the point of using it. 

VB spawned 3 WM exe's that I couldn't close, I had to force my PC off as the exe's were preventing a normal shutdown. 

The WM window that appeared didn't respond to any interaction as well, at least I was able to close that one. 

The program never made any progress in "starting virtual machine processes", I have no idea what caused it, regardless of the reason it was unacceptable behavior from such a program.

Next time I started my PC the applications that are supposed to load at start-up loaded slower, I have my OS on an SSD, I am not touching VB ever again...

VB worked on the school PC I used, but on this one it is a solid nope.

Weird.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

THOSE LINKS ARE OFFICIAL MICROSOFT >>DOWNLOAD<< LINKS

If you want to sign up to the insider program, sure, but they have those age requirements and stuff, also some people just might want to test it out for 10 minutes on a VM.

If you visit while signed into a Microsoft account, like my system, you are automatically signed up the moment you click join, since they already know your info. Regardless, it's easy as hell to get into You just have to read through and agree that insiders deal with bugs, and are beta testers for software, and shit may go wrong, and you may lose data. If you agree to that, and click on you agree, done, you're in.

That is fine because you registered.

The OP link allows you to skip the registration process.

There is no specific requirements to be part of the Insider Program, for example you don't have to be a developer.

Also the OP stated that they are Download Links, and the links are to download the ISO, so no, they are not wrong. They would be wrong if the OP said the links were for the Windows Technical Preview/Insider Program info page

What are you talking about?

You need to register to the insider program, if you want to try Windows 10.

You can't skip that process.

THOSE LINKS ARE OFFICIAL MICROSOFT >>DOWNLOAD<< LINKS

If you want to sign up to the insider program, sure, but they have those age requirements and stuff, also some people just might want to test it out for 10 minutes on a VM.

Doesn't mater. These links aren't available. You join, and you took advantage of a discovered exploit to provide direct link to the ISOs.

If it says you need to be 18 years and old, then you need to be 18 years or older. You are not the law, nor Microsoft to take such action.

Simple as that.

What are you talking about?

You need to register to the insider program, if you want to try Windows 10.

You can't skip that process.

I have Windows 10.

I'm not part of the Insider program, since the age on my Microsoft account is under 18

I downloaded Windows Technical Preview through the x64 link of the OP.

You can skip that process. Not sure why you're arguing against it. 

"Rawr XD"

I have Windows 10.

I'm not part of the Insider program, since the age on my Microsoft account is under 18

I downloaded Windows Technical Preview through the x64 link of the OP.

You can skip that process. Not sure why you're arguing against it. 

No, you BY PASSED it. Meaning you are using software illegally now.

Let's be realistic here... in the end, it doesn't matter. If someone want's the ISO, they'll either go through official channels to do so, or, acquire if via other means. Whether that's direct links, torrents, drop box sharing, and so on. There's no way to stop it, and, Microsoft can't do anything about it. 'Tis the way of the internet.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

So this just happened....

waa_zpsae0613fc.png

I'm on 7 Home Premium. I am running the preview on VMware. You think I should update? The one on VM seems to be running fine. Why would MS push this as an update?

Also, I miss this on the start menu:

want_zps342f7f30.png

And for those who want to download the ISOs, here are clean torrents :)

Removed

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed links to ThePirateBay

Let's be realistic here... in the end, it doesn't matter. If someone want's the ISO, they'll either go through official channels to do so, or, acquire if via other means. Whether that's direct links, torrents, drop box sharing, and so on. There's no way to stop it, and, Microsoft can't do anything about it. 'Tis the way of the internet.

It goes against forum CoC. No illegal activity on the forum.

You still need to accept the license agreement when installing the system, so your argument is invalid.

I'd like to point out, there is no age restriction in the TOS for the Insider Program, not the tech preview as I've just read over both. As well, although MS provides their ISO's for free, I have spoken with them before about obtaining them elsewhere. While they prefer you use official channels, they (being a few phone reps) have stated it's ok to get them elsewhere, but to keep in mind the software may have been altered, and, that you have no warranty that way they are covered.

So really, I don't see how him by-passing the Insider program is really doing anything harmful. Most people aren't going to read the TOS of the tech preview, and that's honestly the entire point of the Insider program, is to show you accepted the TOS of using beta software that transmits poop tons of data about you, and may 'cause data loss, or potentially hardware issues, which they are not liable for. The moment you skip official channels, if anything happens, you can't take MS to court anyway, so it works for them.

You still need to accept the license agreement when installing the system, so your argument is invalid.

Maybe we should post links to cracked software on this forum, as the EULA says that you were supposed to purchase it. Right?

I'd like to point out, there is no age restriction in the TOS for the Insider Program, not the tech preview as I've just read over both. As well, although MS provides their ISO's for free, I have spoken with them before about obtaining them elsewhere. While they prefer you use official channels, they (being a few phone reps) have stated it's ok to get them elsewhere, but to keep in mind the software may have been altered, and, that you have no warranty that way they are covered.

So really, I don't see how him by-passing the Insider program is really doing anything harmful. Most people aren't going to read the TOS of the tech preview, and that's honestly the entire point of the Insider program, is to show you accepted the TOS of using beta software that transmits poop tons of data about you, and may 'cause data loss, or potentially hardware issues, which they are not liable for. The moment you skip official channels, if anything happens, you can't take MS to court anyway, so it works for them.

You mean this?

Insider_18.jpg

I see here that you need to be 18 or older.

Maybe we should post links to cracked software on this forum, as the EULA says that you were supposed to purchase it. Right?

That's entirely different. ISO's to ANYTHING that requires a key, are useless without said key, as you can't activate the software. Cracked software, either comes with a slip-streamed key, or, a key gen. Those are why they are illegal. Honestly, if you poke around manufacturer sites, you can usually find ISO's of their software somewhere. Albeit, quite hidden most of the time, for instance all of HP's software is on an FTP server that requires no log on information and is accessible to the general public. They prefer you buy software from them, because it allows them to know that you are using it legitimately with a key you have, and, allows them to track things, such as how many people own thier software, what the demographic is, and allows them to provide you with support. The moment a company finds out you have a cracked copy, they drop you like a lead balloon

You mean this?

Insider_18.jpg

I see here that you need to be 18 or older.

It may say when you join, but it's not in the TOS explicitly. That being said, both accounts I have with MS, have my actual age. I believe the 18+ is more because of how much data they are sending back. You have essentially 0 privacy running the tech preview, and that's not legal with kids. Again, once you bypass that though, MS is not responsible for anything that happens.

+1

If you redistribute it, it violates their terms of use: https://insider.windows.com/Home/TermsOfUse

4. Content

If any Content is made available to you in connection with the Program Services without a license agreement, then you may make a reasonable number of copies of the Content for your internal use in support of your participation in the Program Services. You must preserve the copyright notice in all copies of the Content and ensure that both the copyright notice and this permission notice appear in those copies. Except as provided in this section, no portion of the Content may be copied, imitated, published, transmitted, broadcast or distributed, in whole or in part.

Think the people who enrolled in the preview had to accept a licence agreement.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I changed the first post, happy? Now please end this offtopic.

I changed the first post, happy? Now please end this offtopic.

Yes. Thank you!

Loving the preview so far. Loaded it as the main OS on my HP ProBook 6470b, everything worked out of the box but installed all the newest drivers from HP aside from the HD 4000 drivers. Using Adobe CC and Office 365 on the machine and all works well, couple of Steam games have also worked well. It's more of a workstation laptop so I will really will be using office and productivity apps on it. Love the multiple desktops but I agree that multiple start menu's would be nice as well. I did notice that if I switch from the start menu to the start screen as the default that not all apps that load when Windows starts load, so I think the traditional start menu and the start screen use different file locations for their shortcuts. Changing performance options don't seem to do anything as well for now. 

Do you guys know how to clean recent files and frequent folders history?