Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

The link said it would be up shortly and I forgot all about this till I heard my coworker talking about it. Downloading now as we speak.

Does anyone have recommendations for free imaging software for my PC? 

When you do the install does it work like a standard Windows upgrade? 

If so I might not bother imaging my PC because I know I'll buy this when it comes out anyways.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

The link said it would be up shortly and I forgot all about this till I heard my coworker talking about it. Downloading now as we speak.

Does anyone have recommendations for free imaging software for my PC? 

When you do the install does it work like a standard Windows upgrade? 

If so I might not bother imaging my PC because I know I'll buy this when it comes out anyways.

It runs like a normal OS install, aka, you can upgrade from 8, or, clean install. I'd recommend the latter though

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

It runs like a normal OS install, aka, you can upgrade from 8, or, clean install. I'd recommend the latter though

I'm still running 7. I'm sure I'd be ok upgrading from that right?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

I'm still running 7. I'm sure I'd be ok upgrading from that right?

I haven't tried to see if you can upgrade from 7 to it, but if you want, I can try it on one of the W7 VM's I have for school. Can always revert the snapshot.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

I haven't tried to see if you can upgrade from 7 to it, but if you want, I can try it on one of the W7 VM's I have for school. Can always revert the snapshot.

If you could try that for me that would be awesome as I'm still at work right now  :D

If you could try that for me that would be awesome  :D

On it. Will report back later.

Reporting back.

It allowed me to run everything just fine, so you can indeed do it. Mind you, some folders were lost, ones that aren't in 8/8.1 or they were moved, so keep that in mind (only pre-created folders, user created were fine). Aside from that, it worked flawlessly, though it took a really long time. I'd still recommend doing it in a VM if you can though, just so you don't have to worry.

I have already installed the preview on a new partition on my hard drive.
Someone told me that could, in the worst case, not only destroy Windows 10 but also the data on the other partition on the hard drive (which I would like to keep).
Is that true? What should I do to prevent data loss? Am I stupid?

i downloaded the 64 bit iso in about 5 minutes.

I trew it in VM and played arround with it for a while.

But to be honnest, i just can´t be happy with it realy.

finally got it running on a vm, been tinkering whit it and using win + c to open charms menu crash it, also its laggy is fuck but i blame the vm on that one, will try later on a spare pc

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

finally got it running on a vm, been tinkering whit it and using win + c to open charms menu crash it, also its laggy is fuck but i blame the vm on that one, will try later on a spare pc

Could be your VM settings, or, the host machine. Mine's running just fine, with no real crashes yet (one that I forced to see if they retained the W8 bluescreen look)

Could be your VM settings, or, the host machine. Mine's running just fine, with no real crashes yet (one that I forced to see if they retained the W8 bluescreen look)

Yah I recommend putting it on a full system honestly. What I did. Loving it so far.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For those who want Guest Additions installed, I found a fix: If you get The VirtualBox Guest Additions cannot be installed on this version of Windows.http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/10/install-windows-10-in-virtualbox/

VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd-x64 /extract /D=C:\Drivers

fixedbyvonnie-windows-10-installing-vbox

We’re basically manually extracting the VirtualBox drivers to a folder on the VM.

Now, in the VM, open the Device Manager, double click the Display Adapters section and update the driver to use the files we just extracted to C:\Drivers.

Update: Getting Windows Cannot Initilize the device driver for this hardware (error 37) Used the VBoxVideo drivers but haven't tried installing the Windows 8 graphic drivers (VBoxVideoW8 I think) as it keeps erroring out saying that the driver doesn't support this OS and the other driver is vista (VBoxVideoWV) and it didn't work (error 37)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

For those who want Guest Additions installed, I found a fix: If you get The VirtualBox Guest Additions cannot be installed on this version of Windows.http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/10/install-windows-10-in-virtualbox/

Update: Getting Windows Cannot Initilize the device driver for this hardware (error 37) Used the VBoxVideo drivers but haven't tried installing the Windows 8 graphic drivers (VBoxVideoW8 I think) as it keeps erroring out saying that the driver doesn't support this OS and the other driver is vista (VBoxVideoWV) and it didn't work (error 37)

force it for 8.1 mode? Idk I haven't tried it in a VM yet. But all of my 8 drivers have works so far for the most part. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Could somebody give me the direct link to the x64 version please?

Can you imagine my luck....

I decide to update VirtualBox to the latest version (4.3.12?) to run Win 10, its installation completely fucks up my PC, forcing me to "refresh" my Windows 8.1 installation. Fortunately, I only lost my programs, not documents, thank god.

I hope I'll be able to report back in the evening with some good news.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thanks!

Can you imagine my luck....

I decide to update VirtualBox to the latest version (4.3.12?) to run Win 10, its installation completely fucks up my PC, forcing me to "refresh" my Windows 8.1 installation. Fortunately, I only lost my programs, not documents, thank god.

I hope I'll be able to report back in the evening with some good news.

Oh, that sucks man ;/ I hope everything is going to be fine ;)

I got it up and running on this old laptop I've been using since I moved. 1.5 GB of ram, and an OLD as hell 32 bit processor(Duel core Core duo T2060) and I'm happy to report it run WAY better then windows 8.1, I mean by a country mile Before if I had 5-6 tabs open it would start lagging out, and pinning the HDD, right now 25 tabs open and still have a good 200 MB of ram left. and its not just freezing when I switch tabs. Man I missed being able to open more then a few things at once xD

For those of you with windows 8/8.1, I recommend you enable Hyper-V and use it to test out Windows 10. The performance is 10x better than vmware player/workstation and virtualbox (Yes, I have tried them all). There is a little lag when moving around windows, but that is to be expected due to limitations of graphics in VM's. (And the lag is a lot less than other VM software)

I just got Windows 10 running on my main machine and it works awesome, no problems at all ;)

vmware is running the x64 version sweet, used it set it up as a windows 8 vm, seems like what windows 8 should've been

Dual booted this and upgraded a win 8 clone to winx(Windows 10). Worked just fine in VM, but on the dual booted version I'm having audio issues. Low volume and that robotic voice stuff. Anyone else experiencing these sorts of issues? Specs should be in sig last I checked

EDIT: Only flash based audio suffers from this

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Thinkpad X220

Sandy i5

8gb RAM

SSD

Came from w8.1

Everything's perfect so far. All Lenovo drivers installed perfectly, all the programs I used to use run fine. No issues whatsoever, and definitely better than 8.1 functionally.

FINALLY MULTIPLE DESKTOPS

SDMrpfQ.jpg

loaded it up in vmware the other day, only a quick look but it feels and looks a lot better but the desktop environments should have support for separate wallpapers and maybe a number in the icon on how many environments are active.

also TIL CTRL SHIFT N makes new folders, wow

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

-snip-

loaded it up in vmware the other day, only a quick look but it feels and looks a lot better but the desktop environments should have support for separate wallpapers and maybe a number in the icon on how many environments are active.

also TIL CTRL SHIFT N makes new folders, wow

Try opening the start menu and press: CTRL+ALT+UP / DOWN and see what happens then.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.