Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Is anyone a freelancer here? i'm looking for tips for getting new clients, my expertise is fair niche (Elixir/Phoenix/React)

• 2 months later...

So I discovered this mildly interesting puzzle while writing a reply to a topic about list comprehensions in python.

The general idea behind a list comprehension is that any loop or series of nested loops can be made into a list comprehension if the following holds: Any for loop can be made into a list comprehension provided that it only contains another for loop, or for the final for loop, a single statement that appends something to a list.

To try to figure out if there are other patterns that can be transformed into a list comprehension, I set out to create a list that can't be generated by the above pattern of for loops:

nums = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
tmp = []

for i in nums:
  tmp.append(i * 2)

for j in tmp:
    tmp.append(i * 3)

print(tmp)

This program does not generate the output one would expect at first glance. Why?

Hint:

Spoiler

Does the program generate any output at all? Why or why not?

Bigger hint:

Spoiler

Please don't blame me for what happens if you run this on your host OS. If you are adamant that you must do that please atleast save your work first.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 11/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, rewird said:

Is anyone a freelancer here? i'm looking for tips for getting new clients, my expertise is fair niche (Elixir/Phoenix/React)

well idk how it works in australia but here a lot of freelancers are listed with different recruiting companys that broker projects for them and get a fee from the companies offering the project. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

I wanted to add to this topic and aim it towards people that are looking at taking that first leap into programming. There might be a few posts that are already relating to this subject, but I thought I would share some of my opinions, that is based on my experience so far. I'm currently finishing the second year of my degree and enjoying all the coding projects that I have done so far. 

Anyway, the question that most people always ask is "What language should I learn" - I know this to be true because before I learnt any language, I spent days trying to find the correct starting point. I really don't think it matters too much where you start, because once you learn your first language, it seems relatively easy to switch to another language.  My personal route of learning has gone a little like this, as I change my mind on my future career.

Python >> Javascript (Front-End) >> C++ (Didn't get very far) >> HTML/ CSS (Don't skip the basics) >> Javascript (Back-End) ----- As I try to become a full stack web developer. 

Moving on to my best way of learning to code, I have found that using the following helps the most:

1. Udemy
  2. You-Tube
  3. Stack Overflow
  4. Learning to Google correctly
  5. Community advise 

The biggest tip that I have got so far is, don't try to learn everything, you will never learn every line of code/ methods etc. Just find good resources to use and bookmark them for reference, instead just try to learn the reasons why you're doing something and find your own style of coding. I also made my self a website, to host all my coding projects, it's nice seeing how basic my applications or webpages were at the start and how far I have come since. 

Anyway, hope this helps. Enjoy coding. 

OSINT 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy.

I am developer from Serbia. Self tought(books mostly) and some courses. 
Working as developer for last 2 years.
I started computer science at coledge last year, but I dont find it useful, since I know most of the stuff that we learn there...  so I am thinking of dropping out. 

I work mostly in python\django. 
Javascript/html/css comes with the territory. 

Thinking about improving on node.js. 

Mostly dedicated into learning cython last few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Im beginning a computer science class this year and was wondering what I should be practicing in my free time to better assimilate myself into my potential future jobs.

Like to prepare myself for the class I've been refreshing myself in C# scripting and building games in Unity mostly because it's fun and it's a constricted medium that allows me to just code and not have to think too much about what to code, and a few automation scripts to make my computer use a bit more streamlined. 

The Class teaches an Object oriented programming language(don't know which one), HTML ,JavaScript , SQL, PHP and other more general computer/IT skills but I want to know what else I should be doing, what wont school teach me that would be useful to know and look good on a resume

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, RainColt said:

-snip-

I suggest taking a look into functional programming. It's a very different way of looking at how to program, but it leads to very elegant code and is being adopted more and more. Newer versions of Java got anonymous functions and some list operations, and Google made actually replaced Java as the default Android language with Kotlin, which is more or less Java with actual functional programming support.

My favorite is Scala, but for learning more pure functional programming Haskell is kind of the default.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Over the years I've had a number of languages I've done... but they've all kind of blended in to each other....

basic->assembly->qbasic->visual basic->fortran->VB6->c/c++->html/css/javascript->python->COBOL->VB.NET->PHP->C#  (by total accident... I THOUGHT I was doing a VB.NET program, it compiled, and ran, but it was a C# program!  I was so used to other languages, I was writing in a hybrid javascript/php/c like way and it "worked" with tooltips lol.  Been in C# ever sense.  And I probably left out a few that I hated or didn't do much in too... because I know there were more.

Well... and with xamarin since it's in .NET, and in the .NET core for linux things to an extent.  But also do database development, TSQL based things... so there's that too.

The thing is, I find most of the programming languages to "look similar" anymore...

Some of my proudest achievements in programming:

My first ever program (made 2009 when I was 6. Written in batch)

<more apps I cannot remember>
My first ever discord bot (made 2017? 2018? written in JavaScript)
My first and second pip packages for Python (Kamojipy and Hewwwo. Finished both within the last few weeks)
Twittdesk (https://github.com/HatingLife576/twittdesk, early 2019, first USEFUL application, now abandoned like that github acc)
Lazypax (https://github.com/novuspax/Lazypax, my first ever "product" for Novuspax (which is my software org), made 2019)
------

I just love programming and I want to make more and I of course plan too.

13 minutes ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

Some of my proudest achievements in programming:

My first ever program (made 2009 when I was 6. Written in batch)

<more apps I cannot remember>
My first ever discord bot (made 2017? 2018? written in JavaScript)
My first and second pip packages for Python (Kamojipy and Hewwwo. Finished both within the last few weeks)
Twittdesk (https://github.com/HatingLife576/twittdesk, early 2019, first USEFUL application, now abandoned like that github acc)
Lazypax (https://github.com/novuspax/Lazypax, my first ever "product" for Novuspax (which is my software org), made 2019)
------

I just love programming and I want to make more and I of course plan too.

interested in the discord bot.

i never looked into their sdk/api 

what exactly have you done with it?

i personally would love a way to catch incoming calls to me and maybe even start outgoing calls programmatically. oh and watching for specific people coming online would also be interesting. anything like that possible at all?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

interested in the discord bot.

i never looked into their sdk/api 

what exactly have you done with it?

i personally would love a way to catch incoming calls to me and maybe even start outgoing calls programmatically. oh and watching for specific people coming online would also be interesting. anything like that possible at all?

Well there are a few API restrictions

i personally would love a way to catch incoming calls to me and maybe even start outgoing calls programmatically.

not possible sadly

oh and watching for specific people coming online would also be interesting

Very possible, I have done it on an older bot

Sadly I do not have that bot's code, I do have my only bot I still have the code for:
https://github.com/SafyreLyons/mistakebot

Discord bots can be written in MANY MANY languages but I recommend JavaScript and Python (discord.js and discord.py respectively)

1 hour ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

not possible sadly

not talking about catching the call data but your saying it isnt possible for me to turn a philips hue light green when someone calling?

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

not talking about catching the call data but your saying it isnt possible for me to turn a philips hue light green when someone calling?

Unless it is a group DM with you and the bot. It is possible to mess with the API to do this but I highly don't recommend that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm old. My first computer was an IMSAI 8080 with an S100 bus running at either 1MHz or 2MHz (can't recall). Initially it had 1KB of RAM, which occupied an entire board. Programming was in binary using front panel switches for address and data, until I later switched to Tarbell and then floppy disks. OS was CP/M. My first game was Hunt the Wumpus.

Now I have a Core i9 9940X, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB RAM and 950 games in my Steam collection.

I'm retired now (66 years old), but used to work in embedded systems, mostly using microcontrollers. I'm seriously considering learning how to make games as a hobby, probably using Unity.

23 hours ago, narglesnoop said:

I'm retired now (66 years old), but used to work in embedded systems, mostly using microcontrollers. I'm seriously considering learning how to make games as a hobby, probably using Unity. 

If you ever worked with C or C++ a lot, you may have a lot of fun making simple 2D games with SFML (C++) or SDL (C)! 

• 1 month later...

So I had the most random issue today/yesterday. Am using Visual Studio for all my C# applications and sadly for one .Net Core project I use VS to compile it (tried using the command-line to just compile the whole thing to an executable format but I had some issues and I really need to try again at some point). Anyway, I logged into my server to see the entire UI of Visual Studio (besides the resource and debug tabs) be gone. 

Turns out in the end that somehow the GPU driver caused the issue (which somewhat sucks since the AMD 5350 doesn't officially support Windows server so if the workaround doesn't work it means I'm pretty much unable to run any proper drivers for it).

Also had a weird issue with EJS today where it wouldn't allow me to load CSS files using the <link> tag on my EJS files (for loading in CSS files) even when the pointing it towards the directory in which the static files are located. I'll probably just have another go at it tomorrow.

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I am  beginner programmer using Java script on Bluej. I am taking an AP Computer science course! My name Is nick.

• 2 months later...

A bit of trivia:

One of the simplest possible LSystems, which is often used as an introductory example, grows with Fibonacci(n) where n is the number of iterations over the LSystem.

Axiom: a

Productions:
a -> b
b -> ab

This is the slowest growing context free unbounded LSystem that I can find. That is, a context free LSystem that actually grows and doesn't eventually devolve into all terminal characters.

This fast growth makes computing the LSystem extremely resource intensive. Can anyone find a growing context free unbounded LSystem that grows slower?

Disclaimer: This is not an homework. This is me looking for useful test cases on a personal project.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

• 4 months later...

Started programing when my friend's dad taught me and some others when I was in second grade. Later decided to pick up programing again and now know over the last few years CSS, Python, and JavaScript. I am starting to learn PHP and maybe SQL. 

• 3 weeks later...

I program in C#. Have general knowledge in Computer Science. I am learning PHP for the backend of a streaming service I'm making among other things. But I'm mostly a software developer, who codes in C#. I'm currently making an Atari 2600 themed game with ASCII/ANSII bitmapping sprite graphics in a C# console application. No ext frameworks or engines. Just barebones console application. Which is great. I love console applications anyways even though it will be tedious not having an engine that does everything for me. I'm mostly a beginner. But not really, I guess. I also plan to add a multiplayer function within the game through a game server and a news feed that I can actively update. I really need to get a proper server for this. Plan to invest my money into one, thankfully I won't have to run my web server for my video streaming site on a node within my house ( aka my computer ) or even a separate server since I plan to have p2p file sharing system implemented. Which would be pretty cool. I do have one person helping me with this whole ordeal. But I mostly plan to have him help me on certain things within the actual code of the game that are relatively repetitve such as making animation frames and assigning colors to individual colors either by a rudimentary Foreground Color assignment for each ANSII character or hopefully by bitmapping which is... kind of different and allows for higher resolution frames or rendering. I'm 13 years old, in middle school right now. Looking to expand my knowledge on everything within computer science. So I took it upon myself to learn PHP, I already know Python, since I used it to do fun projects with the GPIO pins on my raspberry pi. But I mostly do everything C# ( for software development, majority of which consists around making games ) and Java for making minecraft mods exclusively. Although I might implement it to do other things in the future. 

I know a relative amount of knowledge when it comes to computer architecture and other computer science elements. I'm studying computer networking, algorithms and data structures and computer theory. But I always plan to expand my knowledge. 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

• 1 month later...

Anyone dealt with third party Authentication & Authorization providers for Client side access before? Wondering if i can use the persistent connection to keep the logged in client info, instead of rolling my own Auth layers & backing it via db.. or would i have to essentially duplicate the provider table and query my DB instead?

• 4 weeks later...

HI, I am a 15 year old aspiring to be a Developer/computer scientist, I started out with coding in C# with Unity, and then I learned Python I am trying to currently start out in machine learning with Python, presently I have written codes related to chapters in my math and physics textbooks and seldom use those codes in classes solve questions.........who knew that learning to code would actually make me look smarter WITHOUT anyone realizing that i know programming, my mother said to me that if i take up these hobbies now, i will get distracted from studies..........ironically it actually helped me in my studies,