Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Guess I may as well introduce myself here as well. I'm Chris, 27, long time watcher of LTT, and software engineer. Just started a job with an MLM of all things doing software development, and I'm loving it so far. My favorite languages are ones that most people don't tend to know about; Nim, Zig, and Crystal; all of which are compiled and bring their own special qualities to the table. I'm also a mentor, open source advocate, and soon to be father. Cheers everyone!

Hey, thought I might join the introduction train! Long time watcher and lurker, first time poster. I've been working as a software dev/engineer for the past eight or so years I think, mostly in the web and mobile spaces, but now branching out into C++, nix, and python, etc.

Also a linux nerd, and brand new member of the church of emacs.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have experience with catching discord events on something like a windows service or maybe over mqtt? i cant figure out the api but since logitech offers functionality like lighting effects when someone calling or messages are coming in. i wanted the same thing and catch those events in openhab to for example use a room light as indicator or something.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, SunriseVersion said:

Hey guys. I am currently working on big cloud projects for major insurance companies. Mainly do stuff on the backend with .net and C# (whichever the current version is) and on DevOps automation and stuff. 

If you need any help or have questions, feel free to drop a line. 

I joined because in the past used to have tons of fun building pcs and stuff, but in the recent years stopped caring about the topic. Kinda feel like see what’s happening nowadays. 

How is to work with .net and C# in general,and what do you think how long does it take to learn it from zero knowledge?

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question:

I have never profiled code before (just basically doing bug fixing and left the efficiency to other members of my team) so I have profiled my code and its giving me a hot zone, is there a way I can get the profiler to show me the performance of the TestPatchToFace instead of it only telling me its a problem?

I am using the Visual Studio 2019 profiler, or a Windows x64 C++ console application.

image.png.316abf858b8989f2c05d9999bb674e2a.png

• 1 month later...

When you reverse engineer an executable,and then decides to mess up the UI:

1137386118_DesktopScreenshot2021_02.14-12_19_06_631.thumb.png.1ba958b645d309fe6fc37772b7460716.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how to link UptimeRobot. to Discord Webhook?

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

• 2 months later...

alright my fellow softdevs, im looking for a specific piece of software here and promise 100 golden internet karma pieces to the one who might help.

so i just saw that ghost recon breakpoint support lighting effects for displaying your health bar and such on your keyboard but through the use of MSI's Mystic Light SDK

so naturally im looking for a way to make a work for my logitech g513.

anyone know something aabout this? cause google is lettin me down hard.

i thought about ctching the event myself and then just write a translaater so to speaak that uses logis SDK but i havent been able to find any info on the MSI SDK t lest nnot from the perspective of the game so i got no clue how thee game sends those events and where

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

• 4 months later...

I'm a 14 year old who loves programming. I know HTML and Python but i will soon start learning C/C++. When i go to college, i hope to major in CS and robotics(double major). My dream job is working in Boston Dynamics and modern tech fascinates me. 

• 1 month later...

Daily dose of quirkyness:

Tried to recreat an old project in .NET6 - WPF. But in a subwindow the scrollbars were always disabled...

I removed the skins and templates, created test-windows with only one listbox or treeview, set fixed sizes.... nope never worked.

Created a new test-project -> works all the time.

Changed .ShowDialog() to .Show() -> Works

Moved the command to another point -> works, changed .Show() back to ShowDialog() -> works, moved it back to where it was -> still works.

Now everything is exactly like before, but works 🧐

🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I've only seen a few other people that would ever agree, but I think that the combination of C# and Rust (not necessarily in the same codebase!) is a formidable duo that covers just about every kind of application you would ever need to write, gives you fairly portable results, and has a decent productivity-to-performance/scalability ratio. But I can understand why it's not a very popular opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Y'all, I'm b1t5murf

Long time hardware and software engineer (and lurker of LTT videos).

As for my favorite IDE / Language / Development tool it is undoubtedly Delphi and the modern Object Pascal language.
Besides consulting and teaching programming, I'm also working on the next generation Object Pascal compiler.

Feel free to reach out if you have any Delphi / Object Pascal questions - beginners and seasoned alike.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 9:58 PM, b1t5murf said:

Hello Y'all, I'm b1t5murf

Long time hardware and software engineer (and lurker of LTT videos).

As for my favorite IDE / Language / Development tool it is undoubtedly Delphi and the modern Object Pascal language.
Besides consulting and teaching programming, I'm also working on the next generation Object Pascal compiler.

Feel free to reach out if you have any Delphi / Object Pascal questions - beginners and seasoned alike.

Delphi is a hidden gem. Underrated imo.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:35 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

Delphi is a hidden gem. Underrated imo.

at my former job people are still working in delphi and at least delphi was the first language with a proper database connection.

And maybe when I have some spare time left I'll try to learn some delphi myzelf.

• 1 month later...

I could really use some help creating a makefile for C I have the following code so far inside the makefile

CXX=gcc -Wall -stc99
bitTest.o: bitTest.c
bitFunctions.o: bitFunctions.c bitFunctions.h
   $(CXX) -c bitFunctions.c
   $(CXX) -c bitTest.c myBitTest

IThe makefile should have the following tags: bitTest – to build your test driver
 bitTest.c with the functions defined in bitFunctions.c bitTest.o 
– to build and create just an object file (.o file) 
after compiling your bitTest.c module bitFunctions.o – to build and 
create just an object file (.o file) 
after compiling your bitFunctions.c module
 clean – delete all object and executable files

• 1 month later...

anybody know something about sound generation?

bought myself an electric bike and found out theres sound geerators out there.

but only to simulate ice`s which i think is boring as heck

id much rather have the bike sound like a porche taican or star wars speeder oder any other sci-fi engine than an old v8

sadly i can  find anything on it out there or maybe i just dont know how to look so im asking around if someone knows how to skillfully create unique sounds dependent on engine rpm, throttle position and so on probably on a arduino or pi or something right?

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

anybody know something about sound generation?

bought myself an electric bike and found out theres sound geerators out there.

but only to simulate ice`s which i think is boring as heck

id much rather have the bike sound like a porche taican or star wars speeder oder any other sci-fi engine than an old v8

sadly i can  find anything on it out there or maybe i just dont know how to look so im asking around if someone knows how to skillfully create unique sounds dependent on engine rpm, throttle position and so on probably on a arduino or pi or something right?

You need a speaker.  Either play an audio file, or play tones.

tone() - Arduino Reference

20 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

You need a speaker.  Either play an audio file, or play tones.

tone() - Arduino Reference

😄 really? a speaker? huh.

no but seriously ... thanks but that much i assumed.

playing a file is out. too repetetive and not dynamic and reactive enough.

tone() is pretty simplistic i thought maybe somene knew a mor suffisticated way to generate all sorts of effects on a sound via code basically fl studio but in code form where one could plug a throttle signal in 😄 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here have tips for moving to iOS/mobile development after doing backend for so many years? I don't want to leave my company and they have positions that I'm sure I could transfer over to but I'm having a heard time reconciling with being a junior again after being senior for awhile. 

• 1 month later...

hello, i want to ask what programming language is a must in 2022? since it's smartphone era i don't know which one should i pick,

i am interesthing in website, pc and smartphone app.

i was trying to learn kotlin but i was stuck in at finding IDE for it, the sites that i visited suggesting to use IDE from A ,B and C, but none of it's easy like netbeans, i also couldn't add kotlin plugin for netbeans (always error).

and i am always stuck at "Ant vs Maven vs Gradle"  while learning java, and always fail to add mysql driver in netbeans hahaha.

but i find c++ is easy for me, but i don't know how to get GUI for it.

i need suggestion for programing language, thank you.

14 hours ago, LinusTechTipsMember said:

hello, i want to ask what programming language is a must in 2022? since it's smartphone era i don't know which one should i pick,

i am interesthing in website, pc and smartphone app.

i was trying to learn kotlin but i was stuck in at finding IDE for it, the sites that i visited suggesting to use IDE from A ,B and C, but none of it's easy like netbeans, i also couldn't add kotlin plugin for netbeans (always error).

and i am always stuck at "Ant vs Maven vs Gradle"  while learning java, and always fail to add mysql driver in netbeans hahaha.

but i find c++ is easy for me, but i don't know how to get GUI for it.

i need suggestion for programing language, thank you.

Basic well rounded kit would be .NET, HTML, Javascript and PHP. With that you can work on pretty much anything you want, 3D, Cuda, Website, Backend, Front end, Factory Automatisation (robots like Kuka, Acieta) , Microservice, Desktop, Mobile apps.

For professional work purpose the usefulness change on your region. Some places C++ is still the most job offering, other Java.