Intel acquires Rivet Networks

Electrollium

Intel has acquired Rivet Networks, a NIC company originally known as Bigfoot Networks. (formally also part of Qualcomm)

Known for their Killer branded devices, this acquirement may lead to more advanced network solutions for enthusiasts.

A few key notes/takeaways:

Intel is set to keep the Killer brand and integrate it into its portfolio of products.

Rivet Networks have also developed a number of technologies to its portfolio, including supporting switch-like mechanics for multi-controller systems, or Wi-Fi extension services through time-muxing the Wi-Fi modem.

All these technologies will now fall under the Intel umbrella.

This new acquisition for Intel will enable an element of Ethernet traffic monitoring and optimization the portfolio has not had before, but it will be interesting to see how Intel hands the acquisition compared to when Qualcomm Atheros acquired Rivet Networks some years ago.

Link:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15809/intel-acquires-rivet-networks-killer-networking-is-all-in-for-team-blue

I wonder what Intel's marketing team is going to come up this time. I trust that they will continue to be as professional as possible

*reads Intel marketing slide MEGATASKING!!!*

Nevermind

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Maybe they can can killer not a huge pile of shit 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I want to know why the marketing department thinks they’re the Kings of megatas.  I also want to know what a megata is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hmm ... what could they possibly gain from this acquisition 🤔

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

11 minutes ago, Soppro said:

They've milked Skylake and their existing fabs to the bone. Their next logical step to keep wooing us is a more robust ecosystem. Intel CPU, Intel chipset with Intel NIC, with Thunderbolt, Optane, etc. you name it. Adding the 'Killer' brand probably just to woo gamers more. That said, Alder lake can't come fast enough because no amount of stickers on a motherboard's box will help them in the benchmarks. 

Everyone pissing on Killer and I'm here with Killer E2200 NIC on my MSI mobo and I like it. It's been working great for many years.

3 hours ago, kakik09 said:

They've milked Skylake and their existing fabs to the bone. Their next logical step to keep wooing us is a more robust ecosystem. Intel CPU, Intel chipset with Intel NIC, with Thunderbolt, Optane, etc. you name it. Adding the 'Killer' brand probably just to woo gamers more. That said, Alder lake can't come fast enough because no amount of stickers on a motherboard's box will help them in the benchmarks. 

Remember when Intel also made motherboards? That would complete the ecosystem...

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

Hopefully they'll fix the crap that it currently is, IMO having a Killer wifi NIC is actually a drawback, and so it is for some others since there are people who developed hacks to trim it down and avoid the crappy drivers...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Hopefully they'll fix the crap that it currently is, IMO having a Killer wifi NIC is actually a drawback, and so it is for some others since there are people who developed hacks to trim it down and avoid the crappy drivers...

Yeah, drivers arn't too good but performance is pretty decent especially over longer distances

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

Not exactly my experience when my frigging Dell disconnects when 4m away from my router with just a wooden wall inbetween... :/

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, rogerwilco91 said:

Remember when Intel also made motherboards? That would complete the ecosystem...

Good days man...

I love Intel motherboards.

Change my mind. :D

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 hour ago, Windows9 said:

Yeah, drivers arn't too good but performance is pretty decent especially over longer distances

Don't really have issues with their wired NIC. Good old E2200 and it has been very reliable the entire time.

4 hours ago, rogerwilco91 said:

I’ve still got one of those in my backup machine.  They used to do them as reference designs.  Much as Nvidia and AMD do with gpu cards.  I guess they no longer need to.  Industry maturation.  I suspect that means AMD and Nvidia reference cards will eventually go too

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, rogerwilco91 said:

I didn't until just now. Darn I remember watching an LTT vid on an X58 board with their signature skull on it. They probably won't bring it back at the risk of alienating existing partnerships. 

This is the reason why you should never make your name cringe, because once you want to expand your product beyond 12 year olds, it will come back and bite you right in the rear end.

Imagine in a meeting with investors, you start to build hype to get them excited, then showed them KILLER!, They will all just walk out.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I’m sure they’ve done marketing studies.  If they think killer will work as a name and they’ve done their due diligence i suspect it will work.

Killer doesn't seem like a great brand to keep around, not a good rep among those in the know

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

20 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Killer doesn't seem like a great brand to keep around, not a good rep among those in the know

Perhaps there’s a flaw in the studies or they didn’t do them at all or someone had their thumb on the scale.  Questions would be who is “in the know” in this case, what their specific issue is, and how wide ranging is the opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Perhaps there’s a flaw in the studies or they didn’t do them at all or someone had their thumb on the scale.  Questions would be who is “in the know” in this case, what their specific issue is, and how wide ranging is the opinion. 

I suppose most people even who are buying gaming PCs probably don't know / care about the NIC

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

17 hours ago, Soppro said:

Killer has a huge market with board partners and OEMs because they sell "gaming NICs"

Plus, it removes some of intel's competition in the NIC space.