Did I get the wrong PSU?

ThatDude6

Im doing my first PC build.  R5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Asus ROG Strix 2070S.  The 2070S uses two 8 pin connectors.  My PSU is a Seasonic Focus Gold 550W Semi-modular unit.  It had a single PCIE power cable that breaks into two 8 pin connectors.  Is that ok?  Seems sketchy to me...

The other issue I'm having is that the pcie power connects are kinda stiff and stick out away from the card so much that they extend into the glass side panel of my Lian Li O11 Dynamic case.  So I can't put the panel back on...

It's fine to use a single cable.

Just bend the cable down and push the side panel on.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i recommend CX 550W 2017

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

10 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

i recommend CX 550W 2017

Ignore the guy... recommending a bronze efficiency psu over a gold efficiency psu with better internals and higher warranty and pretty much better at everything.

11 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

i recommend CX 550W 2017

maybe you should read a little more into it...

I'd personally recommend to return it, but that has different reasons

Just now, mariushm said:

Ignore the guy... recommending a bronze efficiency psu over a gold efficiency psu with better internals and higher warranty and pretty much better at everything.

to his defence the cx isn't as flawed... focus is (hopefully) soon to be replaced by a v2, because it has had multiple issues

Just now, ThatDude6 said:

It's brand new and I can return it.... Should I?

I'd personally pick something else, yeah

any budget in mind? and what country?

btw, quote people, otherwise we don't get a notification

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'd personally pick something else, yeah

any budget in mind? and what country?

btw, quote people, otherwise we don't get a notification

Budget is up to $100ish.  In the US.

Just now, ThatDude6 said:

Budget is up to $100ish.  In the US.

well, the psu selection isn't too wide rn, but these are some possible options:

bitfenix formula

Corsair TXM

Evga G2

Be Quiet Pure Power 11 (cm)

Corsair RMx

Cooler Master MWE gold

Antec High Current Gamer

Bitfenix Whisper

Corsair RM

EVGA GQ

listed in random order

15 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, the psu selection isn't too wide rn, but these are some possible options:

bitfenix formula

Corsair TXM

Evga G2

Be Quiet Pure Power 11 (cm)

Corsair RMx

Cooler Master MWE gold

Antec High Current Gamer

Bitfenix Whisper

Corsair RM

EVGA GQ

listed in random order

I ended up just trying out the Seasonic that I bought.  I'm up and running and everything is working well so far...

That's a fine unit. One of the most popular ones in my country, though I always recommend the BitFenix Whisper, cause that's cheaper. Shorter warranty period though.. 

SsFPG will do fine. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

3 hours ago, ThatDude6 said:

I ended up just trying out the Seasonic that I bought.  I'm up and running and everything is working well so far...

PSU are PSU’s,  as long as it’s made here in the US as long as it has a bronze or gold 80+ certification and you have the right amount of wattage all power supplies will work perfectly. Also these guys will recommend you this and that tell you this and this is bad is because they have bad luck or it went out on them and they think that the whole brand or models are bad. I have  EVGA 750 BQ and people are like oh it’s so shitty it’s going to mess or burn your system up, it’s been one year haven’t seen one bad thing about it provides amazing power with no problems and 7 year warranty. Just use it don’t send it back unless there’s a problem which they probably will not be and keep trucking on. 

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

4 hours ago, ThatDude6 said:

Of course it will run, there never was a doubt that. The difference is that under heavy loads you'll be more subjective to catastrophic failure then other similarly priced units.

If you bother going on the deep the differences can become quite notable, remember PSU is the only piece of hardware that can effectively burn and kill an entire system.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

PSU are PSU’s,  

Now that's funny!

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

8 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Of course it will run, there never was a doubt that. The difference is that under heavy loads you'll be more subjective to catastrophic failure then other similarly priced units.

If you bother going on the deep the differences can become quite notable, remember PSU is the only piece of hardware that can effectively burn and kill an entire system.

Yeah but how long can someone have the computer under load at one time that this is going to cause a catastrophe?

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Yeah but how long can someone have the computer under load at one time that this is going to cause a catastrophe?

It's not just about load,its more about the quality of the components in a PSU, Not all PSU's use quality components,Like anything else,you get what you pay for.

Best site for PSU reviews:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

32 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

PSU are PSU’s,  as long as it’s made here in the US as long as it has a bronze or gold 80+ certification and you have the right amount of wattage all power supplies will work perfectly

that's bs, protections are in no way linkable to efficiency

32 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Also these guys will recommend you this and that tell you this and this is bad is because they have bad luck or it went out on them and they think that the whole brand or models are bad

no, i base per model, NEVER EVER by company, heck... i look at the company that actually made the unit

17 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

somewhere between a couple seconds and a couple years, depends on what they do with it and how much luck they have

please come back after you actually read into PSUs, please

5 minutes ago, Earnhardt said:

Best site for PSU reviews:

not the only one, but it is a good example

On 8/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, ThatDude6 said:

Im doing my first PC build.  R5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Asus ROG Strix 2070S.  The 2070S uses two 8 pin connectors.  My PSU is a Seasonic Focus Gold 550W Semi-modular unit.  It had a single PCIE power cable that breaks into two 8 pin connectors.  Is that ok?  Seems sketchy to me...

The other issue I'm having is that the pcie power connects are kinda stiff and stick out away from the card so much that they extend into the glass side panel of my Lian Li O11 Dynamic case.  So I can't put the panel back on...

It's fine to use the cable that splits. And you can simply bend it down to fit the case. This is how mine looks

IMG_2130.jpg

4 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

PSU are PSU’s,  as long as it’s made here in the US

There aren't any American made PSUs. Your EVGA BQ and every other PSU mentioned in this thread are made in China.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 8/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, LukeSavenije said:

to his defence the cx isn't as flawed... focus is (hopefully) soon to be replaced by a v2, because it has had multiple issues

Are you talking about the GPU compatibility issues from last year? Because I was under the impression that they were fixed with replacement cables.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are you talking about the GPU compatibility issues from last year? Because I was under the impression that they were fixed with replacement cables.

they did fix that, but in a different way. because the overcurrent protection triggered, they simply upped it by (iirc) 10%, but the unit can't sustain it well and starts to ripple out of atx spec

20 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Also these guys will recommend you this and that tell you this and this is bad is because they have bad luck or it went out on them and they think that the whole brand or models are bad.

brand? no.

models, very much so. there are a whole bundh of bad PSUs worth avoiding. the world of PSUs are filled with "minefields". especially at the low end. 

20 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

PSU are PSU’s,  as long as it’s made here in the US as long as it has a bronze or gold 80+ certification and you have the right amount of wattage all power supplies will work perfectly

work? sure. work well without having the chance of frying hardware or have other issues? nope. 

80+ is a efficiency sticker, really says nothing about the PSU. and people who think thats the only thing to look at certainly dont have a clue regarding PSUs. 

also "made in the US"? you serious?

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

brand? no.

models, very much so. there are a whole bundh of bad PSUs worth avoiding. the world of PSUs are filled with "minefields". especially at the low end. 

work? sure. work well without having the chance of frying hardware or have other issues? nope. 

80+ is a efficiency sticker, really says nothing about the PSU. and people who think thats the only thing to look at certainly dont have a clue regarding PSUs. 

also "made in the US"? you serious?

I meant office is based in the US my bad for warranty issues

My PC:

My Kids PC:

I meant office is based in the US my bad for warranty issues

Pretty sure most brands have an office for a given region. 

Also US isnt the world. And it having an office does not say anything about the PSU.