Honda "Urban" EV - nearly done, new info

cluelessgenius
5 hours ago, floofer said:

How is my reaction ridiculous? Why would anyone pay the same amount for the Honda, with last-gen range and power? Hyundai are also behind. It’s not about the size of the car, but the dated tech. 

...Clapping your hands with doodoo isn’t ridiculous?

I get your spiel about range and power. But you have to factor in reliability and price too. I personally don’t think that the power matters much. 100+ hp is more than adequate for any small-medium sized vehicle. And being electric, the acceleration and torque must be awesome regardless. 

19 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

...Clapping your hands with doodoo isn’t ridiculous?

I get your spiel about range and power. But you have to factor in reliability and price too. I personally don’t think that the power matters much. 100+ hp is more than adequate for any small-medium sized vehicle. And being electric, the acceleration and torque must be awesome regardless. 

also if "last gen" tech finally gets us lower prices then even better. tech is all fine but right now we need EVs to widen the price ranges right now its either 100k for premium or your stuff with the tini ones. i think honda isnt really helping with this. we need some middle ground between the high and the low end.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

also if "last gen" tech finally gets us lower prices then even better. tech is all fine but right now we need EVs to widen the price ranges right now its either 100k for premium or your stuff with the tini ones. i think honda isnt really helping with this. we need some middle ground between the high and the low end.

Well, the way I see it: 

- More competition, better cars.

- If this Honda doesn’t sell very well then you might be able to snag one on a clearance sale.

- EVs are such a risky proposition because if the technology is not widely adopted you’re stuck with a handicapped car. Further, EVs get better every year. So last year’s model loses a lot of value. EVs have poor resale value. 

23 hours ago, kokakolia said:

new Renault Twingo

what my mom has now. Ugliest duckling out of the bunch. Wish she'd just picked a 500 and call it a day.

Among current urban cars i'd pick the mito if i wasn't into pickups

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

what my mom has now. Ugliest duckling out of the bunch. Wish she'd just picked a 500 and call it a day.

Among current urban cars i'd pick the mito if i wasn't into pickups

The Renault Twingo and the Fiat 500 have basically the same shape. But the Twingo is far more practical. 

By the looks of things I’m probably the only one in this planet that thinks it looks alright and sorta good actually. Don’t get the hate towards the design. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

By the looks of things I’m probably the only one in this planet that thinks it looks alright and sorta good actually. Don’t get the hate towards the design. 

It's just dandy!  The funny thing is that people will complain about blandness in car design and then get miffed when someone actually tries something different (if clearly inspired by the past).  So long as it's not outright ugly, I'd call it a success.  Especially since it gets people talking about about EVs and the importance of ditching gas cars as soon as possible.

8 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Well, I have been trying my darnest on this thread to argue in favour of this Honda EV design. I like it for being cute and not hyper-aggressive like most cars from 2011~2019. 

gosh EV's are so heavy. tiny car weighs 3k pounds

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

gosh EV's are so heavy. tiny car weighs 3k pounds

TBH, it probably makes handling much better.  The battery lowers center of gravity and with that much weight it won't get blown around by strong wind.  Definitely better than the prius c my family drives.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

The concept looks cool.  The actual version looks like what you'd get if you asked a chinese company to knockoff something cool.  Soft, ugly, and only vaguely looks like the original.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, FezBoy said:

TBH, it probably makes handling much better.  The battery lowers center of gravity and with that much weight it won't get blown around by strong wind.  Definitely better than the prius c my family drives.

better than a car of the same weight with it's weight up in the air.. yes. Nothing better than a really light car tho... (I do drive a miata for peat sakes though so I'm one extreme lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@cluelessgenius the major problem with Hydrogen Fuel Cells (HFC) is just how insanely damn inefficient they are. Like seriously, super terribly inefficient.

Despite Hydrogen being the most abundant element in the universe, Hydrogen Gas doesn't really exist naturally on Earth.

There are two main methods of creating hydrogen:

1. Steam reforming, which burns Natural Gas, and creates pollution and carbon GHG's in the process (very bad for the environment, still relies on fossil fuels)

2. Electrolysis - using electricity to split Hydrogen atoms off the Oxygen Atom - the byproduct is H2 gas and Oxygen - however, it takes a lot of electricity. I mean, a lot. Far more than you would use to simply charge up a battery to use in an EV.

Additionally, it's incredibly inefficient, in terms of energy extracted in the final product.

I think that the real solution will be a combination of multiple technologies (HFC for long-haul or long distance, and EV for normal travel), unless there's a paradigm shifting breakthrough in either HFC or Battery tech.

In terms of your city only having 2 public charging stations? That's a bureaucratic problem, and is solvable. The Gas Station infrastructure didn't pop up overnight either - it took multiple decades.

Anyone that owns their own home and has a parking spot will easily be able to switch to an EV - even the home charging infrastructure isn't too expensive when you consider the cost of a new (or newer) car, and the savings on fuel. That will mean public EV charging infrastructure simply won't matter to those people, since they will charge at home every night.

People in condos or apartment buildings that have their own dedicated parking spot will potentially have the same benefit. Yes, the Landlord isn't likely to want to do it. But so what? Legislate it, and make it so that an EV owner is allowed to install their own charger, at their own cost. And in terms of the electrical utility getting involved? Might be necessary, but again, that's a solvable problem.

People who do street parking or have other - non ideal - parking situations are the ones that will either require public stations, or an alternative fuel source.

But if we can get literally everyone else onto EV's, and only have people with specific needs on another source? That's still a win.

Furthermore, fast charging is getting better. Once we can get to the point where you can get 80%+ charge within 5-10 minutes, "refueling" on the go will become a non-issue, outside of more infrastructure (which is again, a solvable problem).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

In terms of your city only having 2 public charging stations? That's a bureaucratic problem, and is solvable. The Gas Station infrastructure didn't pop up overnight either - it took multiple decades.

This is the laziest counter-point to EV's I've ever heard. If we can have 40 gas stations in one city, we can damn sure equip every parking spot with charging stations. Especially for commercial and municipal lots. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers