RTX picking up steam - Cyberpunk 2077 & Watch Dogs: Legion join the growing list of RTX titles

illegalwater
5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

LMAO, what ignorance? I literally just said exactly what you said. Just in more details.

No you didn't.

"Downside is, if devs use RTX, it's locked to NVIDIA cards. If devs use DXR, anyone can do ray tracing for it in the future, be it AMD or Intel. "

The only "RTX only" thing is DLSS, RT can be done by anyone. AMD just has yet to enable it through their drivers.

The only reason you see RTX plastered all over these games is because of the Nvidia partnerships, and because RTX cards are the only ones that can do hardware accelerated RT right now.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

Now we just need good performance from RT card that isn't $1000+ and we're in business!

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

As for the price, it's a RTX 2070 competitor.

Like many argue... it is a GTX 1080 competitor a couple of years late to the party... it has ZERO DXR capacity so yeah...

Call Ray Tracing a gimmick all you want it's still a differential alright.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hey, if you guys have an RTX card why not put it to good use with some folding?

PRIZES TO BE WON. Read more here!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I saw the title of this thread and it made me laugh... I came in actually expecting a load of fanboi gushing and looked for the 'WOW... a 100% increase in the number of RTX titles coming out'

Whilst all of my expectations weren't completely met... I wasn't disappointed... It did make me laugh.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

all these threads about nvidia and AMD seem to go down the same path:

Claim:  NVIDIA are overcharging consumers and ripping us off.

AMD release a card with the same price per performance/featureset

Claim: AMD is not a charity, they are entitled to make make profit on their work.

Really guys, one rule for NVIDIA and another for AMD?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Claim: AMD is not a charity, they are entitled to make make profit on their work.

Gotta agree with you here, The RX 5700 XT is so far still looking to be a worse product than the Vega64 and say AMD is in the right because the RX 5700 XT will be more profitable is a ludicrous statement consumer wise.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Why? might as well grab a Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+ now for the same performance but superior compute capacity and faster HBM2 memory all on a much better and silent aftermarket cooler instead of another blower cooler garbo.

It is the same price for the same performance but still a lesser product with only a few gimmick features to justify any hype, Navi is nothing but disappointment since AMD decided to delay "Big Navi" to avoid the Radeon 7 going EOL prematurely.

cause that card was too loud for my tastes, costs more, and as i said will wait for AIB, i never buy reference

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 6/14/2019 at 12:03 AM, Princess Luna said:

Gotta agree with you here, The RX 5700 XT is so far still looking to be a worse product than the Vega64 and say AMD is in the right because the RX 5700 XT will be more profitable is a ludicrous statement consumer wise.

Lol, RX5700 XT is faster than Vega 64. Last time I checked, Vega 64 was GTX 1080 level. RX5700 XT trading blows with RTX 2070, that's faster. Not to mention it has a more modern architecture and lower power consumption. Sure, it doesn't have HBM2 and raw compute power, but that's not needed for gaming. And given it's new architecture, we can expect performance bumps over time.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, RejZoR said:

Just like PhysX, right?

As far as I know there's no DirectX component that handles physics. PhysX is a completely different beast to RTX. Hell, in a lot of ways its the exact opposite: PhysX (after Nvidia bought it) became purely a proprietary piece of software that only ran on Nvidia cards. RTX is just a fancy way of saying "the drivers that allow DXR to interact with RT/tensor cores".

I'm sure that there are some other more Gameworka style features layered on top, but at the end of the day a dev saying that they will support RTX is like saying a dev will use CUDA cores. It's just using branding to say " yeah, were going to support the hardware in our game". It's still going to operate through DXR (at least in DX titles) so presumably as soon as AMD/Intel have ray tracing capable hardware on the market it should be trivial to port support over.

Tl;Dr: it isn't RTX instead of DXR, its Hardware->RTX->DXR->Game Engine. Anything beyond that is mostly just marketing.