Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BiG StroOnZ

Over a 150 Riot Games Employees Stage Walkout Over Forced Arbitration & Sexist Culture

On 5/11/2019 at 1:13 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

So basically what @Bouzoo said.

The thing is these witch hunts happen pretty much every time an allegation is made. People jump to conclusions way too quick, so saying that we should not believe every allegation until it's proven makes sense and isn't "victim blaming".

Which is a good thing, people are skeptical and want actual proof before jumping to conclusions.

This is why I think we as a society should not keep attempting to politicize sexual assault allegations. Society likes to run with the easy narrative because the Facebook audience receives its news in bite-sized chunks and soundbites. There's no room for nuance, which is exactly what cases like these need. Some cases will be genuine misunderstandings due to bad communication, others are completely genuine and yet others are the result of someone lying for some profit.

There are many factors to consider and unfortunately they all take time to analyze, weigh, etc. even for trained professionals. Your average person on Facebook is not a trained professional and will jump to conclusions, which adds nothing to the facts surrounding the actual case, regardless of whether the aforementioned conclusion is that the allegation is true or false.

Yes, but an allegation is usually enough to completely ruin someone's reputation/career, even if they are proven innocent the damage is usually already done.

How often does this actually end up happening, though? Because in high-profile cases it doesn't seem to be the case. Chris Brown is still making music, Roman Polanski is still making films and in those cases there was an actual conviction rather than just an allegation. Michael Vick is coaching football, Michael Jackson made music up until the moment he died, history seems to forgive entertainers for doing a lot of things.

The ability to entertain seems to come with a lot of goodwill from audiences, so I'm not yet convinced that Metoo will have any lasting effect on the careers of those accused if they keep their heads down for a couple of years.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:31 AM, comander said:

While this is often true, I do believe that this issue is overstated (particularly with respect to the type of people who go on tech forums who are usually smarter than average and who have a greater level of technical sophistication) - most people have more options than they believe they do, at least with a sufficiently long time horizon and some savvy (which can be acquired online, with respect to interview preparation and skill development). Full disclosure, I might be biased. I'm brighter than most and have ascended from a lowly position to a fairly desirable one (masters degree from elite university, strong 6 figure income from a very desirable employer on a team of people that I enjoy being around) over the last decade.

While you're not wrong that people often have more options, it's reductive reasoning that the employees can just easily find a better job, particularly in the gaming industry which has had its fair share of negative publicity recently when it comes to the treatment of employees.

11 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

The ability to entertain seems to come with a lot of goodwill from audiences, so I'm not yet convinced that Metoo will have any lasting effect on the careers of those accused if they keep their heads down for a couple of years.

While you're not wrong that people often have more options, it's reductive reasoning that the employees can just easily find a better job, particularly in the gaming industry which has had its fair share of negative publicity recently when it comes to the treatment of employees.

If you're looking at "normal people" a gap on the resume is bad and an arrest record can kill your employment prospects. You're suddenly high risk - no company wants to be sued. 

Being in legal trouble is often compared to having cancer but you aren't able to talk to others about your issues. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. 

While it IS important to remove bad actors; using a shotgun approach to do so is morally wrong. If a cop killed 4 bank robbers and one innocent person with an RPG there would be outrage. Keep in mind that in reported cases, roughly 10% of reports lack probable cause and roughly 10% of cases have confessions - the implication is that roughly between 10-90% of reports are against people who are factually innocent. That is a HUGE range. The general rate of false reports for crimes in general is around 25%, which is about the same rate at which a paternity test shows a different father (a rough proxy for women (not that all accusers are female) lying about sex in a VERY serious way - that's grand fraud). Keep in mind "90% of accused are guilty" is a myth - the standard for guilt in that myth is probable cause. Think "this black guy's car had a broken tail light, so the cop had probable cause to search the car" where a bodycam video recording shows the cop breaking the tail light and planting drugs... 

One thing to add - one of the academic papers which pushed for "probable cause is enough" was responded to by the Los Angeles District's Attorney's office. The general sentiment was "your emphasis on probable causing being enough to proceed to trial is illegal and represents a gross violation of legal ethics" If you wish I can find you the paper. 

11 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

I will admit that my answer was made on the assumption that someone was willing to change industries. I'm not a fan of the industry in general. I've had 2 roommates in it as well as an ex. 

On 5/16/2019 at 4:13 AM, EldritchMoose said:

This is why I think we as a society should not keep attempting to politicize sexual assault allegations. Society likes to run with the easy narrative because the Facebook audience receives its news in bite-sized chunks and soundbites. There's no room for nuance, which is exactly what cases like these need. Some cases will be genuine misunderstandings due to bad communication, others are completely genuine and yet others are the result of someone lying for some profit.

There are many factors to consider and unfortunately they all take time to analyze, weigh, etc. even for trained professionals. Your average person on Facebook is not a trained professional and will jump to conclusions, which adds nothing to the facts surrounding the actual case, regardless of whether the aforementioned conclusion is that the allegation is true or false.

How often does this actually end up happening, though? Because in high-profile cases it doesn't seem to be the case. Chris Brown is still making music, Roman Polanski is still making films and in those cases there was an actual conviction rather than just an allegation. Michael Vick is coaching football, Michael Jackson made music up until the moment he died, history seems to forgive entertainers for doing a lot of things.

The problem I have is that the MeToo movement has got the wrong point. We cannot morally take action against someone over an accusation, as a society. Because women are equally as capable of lying as men are. Not saying those women are lying, but I am saying they are capable of being lying to ruin the life or career of someone they simply hate.

I'd provide a great example of this, but I feel like it would go beyond the scope of the forum.

People need to report sexual abuse and harassment when it happens. If you don't, there's not much the system can do to help you, and it would be illogical and self destructive for society to simply "believe you" and act as though you were speaking fact when you accuse someone of something without any evidence. This would create a system that would be more than easy to abuse.

Maybe, as a society, we need to make self defense classes apart of the educational system at some point. Teach people how to actually defend themselves from an attacker.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

People need to report sexual abuse and harassment when it happens. If you don't, there's not much the system can do to help you, and it would be illogical and self destructive for society to simply "believe you" and act as though you were speaking fact when you accuse someone of something without any evidence.

Companies should also have to report to the police any and all issues where they have jurisdiction. Forced arbitration and internal investigations will always side with the company's best interests. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Riot's going ahead with the forced arbitration plan anyway. Their voices fell on deaf ears.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-riot-games-arbitration-sexual-harassment-discrimination-20190517-story.html

Unionize the games industry.

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

33 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Riot's going ahead with the forced arbitration plan anyway. Their voices fell on deaf ears.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-riot-games-arbitration-sexual-harassment-discrimination-20190517-story.html

Riot doesn't give a shit about anyone so of course it fell on deaf ears. People think this is about the MeToo movement or SJWs but Riot goes beyond gender politics and a bad workplace environment when it comes to fuckery. They're extremely controlling of everyone who is within their sphere whether it's pro players, casters and other talent or team organizations. You name it they'll fuck with it.

For instance they tried to ban pro players from streaming any content but LoL - even in their free time. Of course they were forced to backpedal on that one a little bit but that's just one example of the type of company this is.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

The problem I have is that the MeToo movement has got the wrong point. We cannot morally take action against someone over an accusation, as a society. Because women are equally as capable of lying as men are. Not saying those women are lying, but I am saying they are capable of being lying to ruin the life or career of someone they simply hate.

I'd provide a great example of this, but I feel like it would go beyond the scope of the forum.

People need to report sexual abuse and harassment when it happens. If you don't, there's not much the system can do to help you, and it would be illogical and self destructive for society to simply "believe you" and act as though you were speaking fact when you accuse someone of something without any evidence. This would create a system that would be more than easy to abuse.

Maybe, as a society, we need to make self defense classes apart of the educational system at some point. Teach people how to actually defend themselves from an attacker.

Here's the thing, though: the percentage of false sexual assault allegations tends to hover around 4-5 percent.  While you do have to be careful, it's generally a good idea to take an accusation seriously, to trust but verify than to be doubtful.

One of the main reasons #MeToo exists is that many of the perpetrators of sexual assault count on that distrust to get away with it.  They exploit a combination of their status and society's tendency to trust men over women.  Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, even Brock Turner... they know people will be reluctant to believe that a well-known man (or a man with a potentially bright future) would abuse their position.

And it's easy to claim that people should just report these claims more often, but it's rarely that simple.  If it's harassment or non-penetrative assault, it's frequently one person's word against another's.  How do you prove that unless there's audiovisual evidence or an eyewitness?  And then there's the power some of these perpetrators wield.  Weinstein could (and likely did) sabotage careers for women who turned him down -- do you really think an actress during Weinstein's heyday was going to risk ruining her livelihood unless she had an airtight case?

This happens on a smaller scale, too.  Girls don't report assault by family or friends because the man could basically ruin their family life; women don't report assaults by coworkers because they know their boss will fire them for being a 'troublemaker.'  Companies like Microsoft and Uber have frequently had cultures that either swept accusations under the rug (such as through forced arbitration, like what Riot is doing) or have done nothing to address accusations.

Also, self-defense classes are a well-meaning idea, but they reflect a misunderstanding of how sexual assault happens.  It's seldom an 'ideal' situation where a woman confronts a would-be rapist head-on and gets to use her pepper spray or judo to stalwartly defend herself.  It's frequently an ambush.  It's being cornered in a semi-public situation, possibly including those career threats.  And if it's something like groping, it's often over before there's a chance to confront the attacker (say, a coworker grabbing a woman's ass while passing through the hallway).  If you really want to curtail sexual assault by men in the long run, you teach them to stop thinking sexual assault is acceptable -- asking women to fight harder is just a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Companies should also have to report to the police any and all issues where they have jurisdiction. Forced arbitration and internal investigations will always side with the company's best interests. 

I do agree with forced arbitration being a bad thing.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Here's the thing, though: the percentage of false sexual assault allegations tends to hover around 4-5 percent.  While you do have to be careful, it's generally a good idea to take an accusation seriously, to trust but verify than to be doubtful.

One of the main reasons #MeToo exists is that many of the perpetrators of sexual assault count on that distrust to get away with it.  They exploit a combination of their status and society's tendency to trust men over women.  Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, even Brock Turner... they know people will be reluctant to believe that a well-known man (or a man with a potentially bright future) would abuse their position.

And it's easy to claim that people should just report these claims more often, but it's rarely that simple.  If it's harassment or non-penetrative assault, it's frequently one person's word against another's.  How do you prove that unless there's audiovisual evidence or an eyewitness?  And then there's the power some of these perpetrators wield.  Weinstein could (and likely did) sabotage careers for women who turned him down -- do you really think an actress during Weinstein's heyday was going to risk ruining her livelihood unless she had an airtight case?

This happens on a smaller scale, too.  Girls don't report assault by family or friends because the man could basically ruin their family life; women don't report assaults by coworkers because they know their boss will fire them for being a 'troublemaker.'  Companies like Microsoft and Uber have frequently had cultures that either swept accusations under the rug (such as through forced arbitration, like what Riot is doing) or have done nothing to address accusations.

Also, self-defense classes are a well-meaning idea, but they reflect a misunderstanding of how sexual assault happens.  It's seldom an 'ideal' situation where a woman confronts a would-be rapist head-on and gets to use her pepper spray or judo to stalwartly defend herself.  It's frequently an ambush.  It's being cornered in a semi-public situation, possibly including those career threats.  And if it's something like groping, it's often over before there's a chance to confront the attacker (say, a coworker grabbing a woman's ass while passing through the hallway).  If you really want to curtail sexual assault by men in the long run, you teach them to stop thinking sexual assault is acceptable -- asking women to fight harder is just a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.

There's really not much you can do for one time events or events without evidence. In that case it's just "he said she said" and many of us go with "innocent until proven guilty" because we don't want to be led into taking action or doing something, without just cause. That's just the way this has to be.

I'm not saying accusations shouldn't be taken seriously, I'm saying that weaponizing social media to use accusations to destroy someones career, should not happen and should not be done. If you're going to accuse someone of sexual harassment or assault, go to the police. They are the ones we pay to look into this kind of thing.

I know of no men who think sexual assault is acceptable. I have never met one who did. I really dislike the notion that we need to be taught this considering the overwhelming majority of men aren't running around raping women. I'm also fairly certain anyone who does think sexual assault is acceptable, isn't going to let something like being told "no that's bad don't do that" get in the way of them doing what they want.

Please stop believing that all men are guilty or dangerous because of the actions of a few sociopaths.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

26 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

There's really not much you can do for one time events or events without evidence. In that case it's just "he said she said" and many of us go with "innocent until proven guilty" because we don't want to be led into taking action or doing something, without just cause. That's just the way this has to be.

I'm not saying accusations shouldn't be taken seriously, I'm saying that weaponizing social media to use accusations to destroy someones career, should not happen and should not be done. If you're going to accuse someone of sexual harassment or assault, go to the police. They are the ones we pay to look into this kind of thing.

I know of no men who think sexual assault is acceptable. I have never met one who did. I really dislike the notion that we need to be taught this considering the overwhelming majority of men aren't running around raping women. I'm also fairly certain anyone who does think sexual assault is acceptable, isn't going to let something like being told "no that's bad don't do that" get in the way of them doing what they want.

Please stop believing that all men are guilty or dangerous because of the actions of a few sociopaths.

Oh, here we go, dragging out the "not all men" crap.  I didn't say all men.  Please don't ever accuse me of that again.

The point is that there is a systemic problem where those men who do commit sexual assault and harassment count on people giving them a pass, both because they're the trusted male figures and because there often isn't enough evidence beyond the word of the women accusing them.  Hell, even solid evidence isn't enough.  Cosby likely assaulted dozens of women and even admitted in years-old testimony to slipping quaaludes to women, but it wasn't until just recently that there was enough impetus to charge and convict him.  And you wonder why women are reluctant to report these crimes?

Anecdotal experience doesn't matter here.  Please don't use it again.  About 18.3 percent of American women have been raped at some point in their lives -- that indicates that it's more than just a tiny fraction of men who are responsible, even if a clear majority are fine.  On top of this, perpetrators rarely advertise themselves in public -- I'm surprised you'd think they would.  They're the frat boys who take advantage of girls behind closed doors at parties, the partners who don't accept "not tonight" for an answer, the bosses who force staff to perform sexual favours.  The culprits aren't always sociopaths, but they always believe they're entitled to sex; they just don't flaunt that belief at every given opportunity.

And the whole point of changing cultural attitudes is so that you prevent men from developing that sense of entitlement.  You want boys who grow up learning that "boys will be boys" is not an excuse for shitty behaviour, that they have to respect a "no" when they get it, that being in a position of power doesn't mean the women under them are trophies.  You can't fix the people who are irredeemably broken, but you can sway the people who are somewhat misguided or haven't finished developing.

36 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Oh, here we go, dragging out the "not all men" crap.  I didn't say all men.  Please don't ever accuse me of that again.

The point is that there is a systemic problem where those men who do commit sexual assault and harassment count on people giving them a pass, both because they're the trusted male figures and because there often isn't enough evidence beyond the word of the women accusing them.  Hell, even solid evidence isn't enough.  Cosby likely assaulted dozens of women and even admitted in years-old testimony to slipping quaaludes to women, but it wasn't until just recently that there was enough impetus to charge and convict him.  And you wonder why women are reluctant to report these crimes?

Anecdotal experience doesn't matter here.  Please don't use it again.  About 18.3 percent of American women have been raped at some point in their lives -- that indicates that it's more than just a tiny fraction of men who are responsible, even if a clear majority are fine.  On top of this, perpetrators rarely advertise themselves in public -- I'm surprised you'd think they would.  They're the frat boys who take advantage of girls behind closed doors at parties, the partners who don't accept "not tonight" for an answer, the bosses who force staff to perform sexual favours.  The culprits aren't always sociopaths, but they always believe they're entitled to sex; they just don't flaunt that belief at every given opportunity.

And the whole point of changing cultural attitudes is so that you prevent men from developing that sense of entitlement.  You want boys who grow up learning that "boys will be boys" is not an excuse for shitty behaviour, that they have to respect a "no" when they get it, that being in a position of power doesn't mean the women under them are trophies.  You can't fix the people who are irredeemably broken, but you can sway the people who are somewhat misguided or haven't finished developing.

Again, you do realize they(rapists and harassers) in all likelihood know that it is a crime and is wrong, and do not care? This is my problem with the idea that we men "need to be taught not to rape". Most of us know, at least those of us brought up in western culture. I can't speak for other cultures where women are demonstrably treated differently.

I'm not sure how you think telling them something they already know, is going to change anything. I'm surprised that you take the "they're unaware that this is wrong" attitude towards it honestly.

The only solutions I see are fight back, report these crimes to the police as soon as possible, or every single member of society is going to have to wear a bodycam with a microphone.

6 hours ago, Nowak said:

Majority of walk outs and protests fall on def ears,  protests are the same as prison hostage situations, if you curtail to one then everyone will protest over anything expecting the same outcome. 

If it doesn't already suit an agenda or profitable narrative then it is literally a waste of time.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

35 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Again, you do realize they(rapists and harassers) in all likelihood know that it is a crime and is wrong, and do not care? This is my problem with the idea that we men "need to be taught not to rape". Most of us know, at least those of us brought up in western culture. I can't speak for other cultures where women are demonstrably treated differently.

I'm not sure how you think telling them something they already know, is going to change anything. I'm surprised that you take the "they're unaware that this is wrong" attitude towards it honestly.

The only solutions I see are fight back, report these crimes to the police as soon as possible, or every single member of society is going to have to wear a bodycam with a microphone.

The biggest thing I hate about my government at the moment is that they spending millions trying to educate people not to abuse other people.  They have been doing that for the last 20 years at least and nothing has changed.  To most rational people that indicates simple education campaigns are not the solution and maybe they need to rethink the problem.

I like our workplace laws, they elevate these issues straight out of the hands of the employer, however they are still open to abuse and people caught abusing the system should be held to the same account as those they wish to see found guilty, sadly they are not.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Sad thing is, handing in your resignation and going else where (or setting up independent) is really the only option if reasonable communication breaks down.

That should have been their first move.

Just now, mr moose said:

The biggest thing I hate about my government at the moment is that they spending millions trying to educate people not to abuse other people.  They have been doing that for the last 20 years at least and nothing has changed.  To most rational people that indicates simple education campaigns are not the solution and maybe they need to rethink the problem.

I like our workplace laws, they elevate these issues straight out of the hands of the employer, however they are still open to abuse and people caught abusing the system should be held to the same account as those they wish to see found guilty, sadly they are not.

It's almost as if people capable of committing certain violent crimes, do so for reasons other than "they don't understand that it's wrong". Maybe, just maybe, they have other motivations and the thought "I can get away with it" is the bigger deciding factor.

Fuck it, everyone start wearing a bodycam, and everyone now has to take self defense classes (which is something we need as a society, regardless of the type of crime being discussed. People need to be empowered to protect themselves. Relying on the police or others for protection is a losing proposition, at-best.)

26 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's almost as if people capable of committing certain violent crimes, do so for reasons other than "they don't understand that it's wrong". Maybe, just maybe, they have other motivations and the thought "I can get away with it" is the bigger deciding factor.

Fuck it, everyone start wearing a bodycam, and everyone now has to take self defense classes (which is something we need as a society, regardless of the type of crime being discussed. People need to be empowered to protect themselves. Relying on the police or others for protection is a losing proposition, at-best.)

Yeah, I'm not saying there are easy solutions. And yes, sometimes an atmosphere does go with an industry. But where do we want to put our effort? I watched complaints and protests over our lunches go on deaf ears. Those who worked through it, got better jobs else where, or just dealt with the change. When it comes to something worse than that, well, if companies cannot make adjustments for small things, why expect them to with the big things, unless the owners wish to? If it's owned by a horrid person, get out!

I've technically changed offices/sites before for this reason. Been in horrible situations at work. I'd be lying to myself if I blamed it on sexism... the people treated everyone poorly! (Though I agree it does exist). I ended up working with a lot of female bosses. A lot of my colleagues were female. I tried to never play the victim card, but also not make anything difficult for them. But I can happily say, it's better to build up where possible, than try and fight and knock people down. I'd of got nowhere if I did. In other jobs it was the opposite, and I did feel sorry for those who were the minorities, because of how others treated them.

I agree sexism exists. I cannot change the world, but I can change what I do and how I respond. Hopefully that has an effect on others. Hey, I'm typing here hoping someone will think "perhaps I should be kinder to this person/all the staff" at some point. Who knows?

I just want to spend my time helping those who are victims, helping those who want to change... and possibly leaving the companies who are not, to rot and burn themselves to the ground. I don't want to waste my time fighting those/them. But in building up others. :)

(And as said, I worked in a few jobs with massive gender imbalances... look at LTT for an example, and as far as we can see, they treat all their staff well... just they have the mix they have, of people they have)

PS, "Self defence" is also not the only option. Things that some of my jobs/bosses prefered was not leaving staff alone in awkward situations. Don't leave people open to attack, and they can be safer. But that does need a good boss/company and not one driving people into the ground. When costs are cut, peoples needs and safety (even morally) go out the window!

43 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Upping and quitting isn't always an option. If people have families to support they can't just up and leave their job, especially in an industry as volatile as the game industry. Having a nearly guaranteed steady paycheck over the long term is not exactly the most common thing in that industry. People get tossed aside in the thousands all the time. Its not like they can just walk out the door and get handed another steady, long term, position at some other studio. Most likely they'd end up in a temp spot where they work for a few months-couple years before being kicked out the door with several dozen/hundred others when the job is finished.

17 hours ago, Derangel said:

Upping and quitting isn't always an option. If people have families to support they can't just up and leave their job, especially in an industry as volatile as the game industry. Having a nearly guaranteed steady paycheck over the long term is not exactly the most common thing in that industry. People get tossed aside in the thousands all the time. Its not like they can just walk out the door and get handed another steady, long term, position at some other studio. Most likely they'd end up in a temp spot where they work for a few months-couple years before being kicked out the door with several dozen/hundred others when the job is finished.

True. But the alternative is getting new management in [in this case]. Is that possible?

Where as I know it is possible to get other jobs. Those do exist. But getting say, Valve or Apple or LTT to change their manager/owner, is not something (for example myself) I would be able to do if I worked for them and they treated me badly (not saying they do or I do). But I *could* change jobs. Working for LTT* would be amazing, but if they ever turned around and bullied me, being in the "best job in the world", I'd still drop it for mopping floors with no hassle.

As a theoretical, as they'd be better to work for than Riot Games. ;)