BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

It added it but...

Is this just a waiting game while it synchronizes or...

takes time to sync, think its every 3 hours but not sure

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I can understand that, but the point of distributed computing is that you don't need silly number of cores in one box, you can have those cores in as many boxes as you like. It doesn't matter.

That's true but higher density means better power efficiency. Probably except when going backwards to Opteron you'll be burning as much power as multiple independent servers. Even if I decide it's too inefficient for BOINC I'll probably take to eBay and see what people are selling. In general I've always wanted to toy with Opteron.

6 minutes ago, porina said:

Now you're making me wonder, how much do over quad Intel servers go for? And how old do you have to go before they're affordable? :D 

I've not seriously looked into the quad-socket Intel server-side. I'm really not sure what they have or cost.

7 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

takes time to sync, think its every 3 hours but not sure

I'll be gone the entire day so I can wait.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

I've not seriously looked into the quad-socket Intel server-side. I'm really not sure what they have or cost.

When I was asked earlier in this topic I actually looked, a board can be gotten for $200 ish USD from eBay, I think one with 4 CPU can be gotten for about $700. Would be cheaper likely to just keep buying duals.

alright, i finally got the time to setup BOINC today (little late but better late than never i guess?)

what projects do i need to grind for our team now? i'll probbaly keep F@H on my GPU's tho so CPU intensive only.

EDIT: currently set up yoyo@home untill someone else gives me a better suggestion 

41 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

alright, i finally got the time to setup BOINC today (little late but better late than never i guess?)

what projects do i need to grind for our team now? i'll probbaly keep F@H on my GPU's tho so CPU intensive only.

Atm we could do with you working on yoyo@home if thats okay 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The third project has been announced, Einstein@home.

https://einsteinathome.org/

I'm not sure if this is a GPU project or not, currently making dinner so can't check.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm not sure if this is a GPU project or not, currently making dinner so can't check.

UPDATE:

EINSTEIN is a GPU project, All power to the accelerators! 

GO. GO. GO. GO.

Mobilise people!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm currently running NFS@home, but it seems to be only using CPU. Should I lower the CPU power a bit to leave some headroom for einstein@home?

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

1 minute ago, Opencircuit74 said:

I'm currently running NFS@home, but it seems to be only using CPU. Should I lower the CPU power a bit to leave some headroom for einstein@home?

you want 1 free thread per green team card, you don't need to bother if you are running team red. 

Do remember you need to bunker these WUs as the event only starts in 4 days.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

When I was asked earlier in this topic I actually looked, a board can be gotten for $200 ish USD from eBay, I think one with 4 CPU can be gotten for about $700. Would be cheaper likely to just keep buying duals.

I'd have to look around. I still want a quad socket motherboard with at least DDR3 and preferably hyperthreading. It'd have to be for the right price though. If it's stupid expensive for even old gear I'll have to pass.

Anyone any idea why Einstein isn't using all three of my GPUs? 

image.png.cf0d66467bbb591ce53cefc80ebe25af.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Its due to the way IF works I believe...

Yep, each die has 128 PCIe lanes and 64 get allocated to socket interconnect in a dual socket system. There just isn't enough lanes to start going full mesh 4 sockets, way not enough. PCIe 4.0 would half the number of lanes needed so maybe, unlikely, but maybe EPYC2 will support quad socket.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yep, each die has 128 PCIe lanes and 64 get allocated to socket interconnect in a dual socket system. There just isn't enough lanes to start going full mesh 4 sockets, way not enough. PCIe 4.0 would have the number of lanes needed so maybe, unlikely, but maybe EPYC2 will support quad socket.

I'm glad I was right. What exactly do you have crunching now?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, Ben Quigley said:

@Gorgon Are you on-board here? 

Sorry I gotta sit this one out. Maybe next year I might have some CPUs to throw at it but I'm still tuning my folding rigs.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

Sorry I gotta sit this one out. Maybe next year I might have some CPUs to throw at it but I'm still tuning my folding rigs.

Einstein is a GPU project ;)

Just one or two cards?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yep, that is GPU.  Get them fired up!!!!

15 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Anyone any idea why Einstein isn't using all three of my GPUs? 

image.png.cf0d66467bbb591ce53cefc80ebe25af.png

You leaving one full thread open in the BOINC settings per GPU?

Also, I have to dig around, but I think there a setting that requires to be turn on for multiple GPUs (can't remember for sure).

Looking around, the new BOINC manager don't require the cc_config.xml flag anymore.  Hmmmm.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

*ring* *ring* "Hello?"

Well hey you have servers through your work at your disposal. I don't. I'm surprised I've kept up with your production this far.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

I'm glad I was right. What exactly do you have crunching now?

YOYO:

2x E5-2630v2

ZIKA:

10x E5-2667

TBC (Today)

2x E5-2667

4x E5-4650

4x E7-8890v4

5 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, that is GPU.  Get them fired up!!!!

You leaving one full thread open in the BOINC settings per GPU?

Also, I have to dig around, but I think there a setting that requires to be turn on for multiple GPUs (can't remember for sure).

Looking around, the new BOINC manager don't require the cc_config.xml flag anymore.  Hmmmm.

I'm looking about, cant find how to make it work. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well hey you have servers through your work at your disposal. I don't. I'm surprised I've kept up with your production this far.

I'm not afraid to cheat ?

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm looking about, cant find how to make it work. 

Very odd.

Have you checked to see if you have a cc_config.xml file in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC?   It is a hidden file path.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

@Ben Quigley, ok, it seems BOINC don't make a cc_config.xml on default anymore.

But, one can still be made for the client to read.

Make, apply, and then unmake and save a trivial change to one of the Event Log Options (Ctrl+Shift+F, from BOINC Manager).  This causes BOINC to build a cc_config.xml with the client defaults.

Then make sure it has this and restart BOINC:

<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not afraid to cheat ?

I'll still be on your tail if you don't have more to add.