The real reason why Apple removed the Jack. And why u still haven't figured it out yet.

Your thoughts?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is why Apple Removed the jack?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yea, u make some valid points
    • No, your points make no sense

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Apr 10, 2019 at 05:24 AM

12 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Bluetooth is literally garbage compared to my analog output.

- Wireless devices require batteries. Batteries require charging, batteries degrade over time.

- Bluetooth has latency.

- There's always going to be some issue with connectivity.

- Digital signals requires circuits in the earbuds.

My experiences with bluetooth have been a nightmare. I want my headphone jack back. F Apple.

U realize that u are arguing an argument that is referencing the future and how the wireless tech will advance.

And yet u are talking about the problems with the tech now in its most early of stages..............

U seeing the problem yet bud??

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Personally I've never yet experienced any issues with latency and battery life has been fantastic with my Sony WH1000XM3's granted yeah they're expensive, but all I can say is working at Best Buy has its perks lol, more accurately a 5% above cost discount.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Don't kid yourself here, OP. Apple removing the headphone jack was purely a profit-driven move, plain and simple.

It's not about "pushing technology forward" at all. It's about increasing ecosystem control and therefore profits.

53 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

U do realize what Apple is right?  Ya they are a company no shit. But they are also a brand, that people and more importantly brands will follow, meaning they have clout in the industry THAT NO OTHER HAS. 

What the hell does them being a brand have to do with them pushing technology forward?

U are partially right on this. But AGAIN that is not the point they aren't here to innovate on the tech. They are here to popularize it so that the market aka the masses with shit tons of cash spend it on that new tech. Meaning while Apple doesn't RnD the new tech what they do is popularize let it be the tech with there own shit (Airpods) or they popularize the idea of it. 

It seems u are really missing that bit. U act as if they are apple and also Samsung. THEY AREN'T.

Apple waits until the tech is ready and people like Samsung have done the grunt work they didn't want to do publicly because they aren't that sort of brand. So again u need to get your head in the right place with regards to WHAT Apple is before u start telling me who they are. Cuz that shit doesn't work as u can hopefully now see........

All that I can see is that you are defending a choice that apple made which heavily inconvenienced thousands of people.  People have a right to be mad about that decision, and to be frank, I don't give a damn what apple is.  All I care about is if they make products that I'm interested in.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Your right this is one reason as to why the adhesive loses its adhesion to the two surfaces. Sure but one u are missing the others and two this only applies to the Apple watch. iPhones and phones in general have MUCH SMALLER strips of adhesive and if u knew about the other reasons why adhesives lose adhesion then u would know why these two are different. 

TLDR its surface area, the watch has more and the small strips on phones have less. I could explain more but to bad look it up later, i don't got the time. 

So back to my point even if companies used only flat to flat adhesives like the ones we are using today (And not the worthless gaskets) we would still have the problem of it wearing out TO FAST. 

The issue is there size and that can't be overcome chemically not for QUITE A while that is. Seeing as 3M doesn't seem to have anything new up their sleeve. So then we are back to making the adhesive strip bigger which also won't happen because phone space is limited especially with regards to the horizontal space needed to put in a larger strip. 

I wish we could do more but phones are just a shitty thing to waterproof. IN essence u would need to redesign the chassis structure to accommodate waterproofing like we have on the Apple watch. And that won't happen anytime soon.

So TLDR we got nothing. :///

If you saw the ifixit teardown image that I linked you, you would see that the apple watch actually uses less adhesive. 

Please show me your data?

Because I'm going off Apples results which have been done FOR years and years. They have to do this for liability so I trust there research since they have to be right or they can get sued because they weren't. 

So no don't give me false data that u made up just because thats how it worked out for you. U are one sample size Apple has sample sizes of MILLIONS. So try again...

https://www.permabond.com/technical_support/temperature-effects/

https://www.hotmelt.com/blogs/blog/how-temperature-changes-can-affect-hot-melt-adhesivbuy-1080-gtx

A quick Google search will give you the information on the stability of certain adhesives at various temperatures. 

Furthermore, the anecdotal evidence strawman can be taken apart due to the fact that adhesive performance can and has been understood for decades.  It doesn't matter on what device the adhesive is applied to, they will perform the same if they are in identical environments. 

58 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

If that were true then companies would have increased the pressure put on the gaskets to therefore increase the water pressure they can withstand. BUT THEY DIDN'T key part here bud. 

They did it for many reasons a few are as follows:

- The phone body itself aka the metal housing can't handle the pressure from the screws over long periods of time. (meaning they will break in a pretty short amount of time)

- U can't just tighten the rubber gasket till whatever u want, there is a point at which it is the most efficient and after that u have a diminishing return for what is done. 

So to fix this ya u could get a better quality rubber or a bigger gasket sure. But then your just making the problem bigger and worse. 

So no u can't just tighten the gasket its not just that simple geez kid; they are multi billion dollar companies I get it u don't like them. But to think they wouldn't try every situational instance on a product that makes them INSANE amounts of money. Is just preposterous to say the least. 

And thats in theory in reality its also not true because they test this shit. And what they found TLDR version is that gasket have a point at which they are either good or not good. And to get better water pressure resistance it would require to much for what u would expend to get it. Hence the diminishing return. 

A gasket design isn't real thin, but if you actually had any experience with taking electronics with you when diving you would know that pretty much every waterproof (not water resistant, actually water proof) camera case uses gaskets and screws with a specific torque specification. 

Gasket designs are also particularly expensive, phone manufacturers didn't remove screws because they were inferior to plastic clips, they were removed due to them adding thickness and price to the final product.  

Also,calling me a kid when you are using "u" instead of "you".  Priceless. 

1 hour ago, TheReal_ist said:

Again sorry bud but if we went by the "LETS WAIT till its ready logic" then we would be waiting forever. Haven't u ever heard that saying?? Sure doesn't seem like it lol

No, we wouldn't be waiting forever, take firewire for example. 

1 hour ago, TheReal_ist said:

Your missing the point bud. U have to understand how humans work to then understand how u can properly push them to accept a new technology and rid themselves of an old one. IN this case its wireless from wired connections. 

I get it seems flawed from a perspective where u don't understand but that doesn't make it flawed just means u haven't learned enough about it to decide if it is or isn't. 

Its ironic really, cause if no one had the logic that I explained Apple uses along with many companies before them. Then bub we wouldn't have anything close to what we have now. Know why??? because if we didn't throw away (relatively speaking of course) the old and jump into the new no matter how bad or good it is. Then we would be behind by centuries technologically. 

This is how humans adapt u can't have them gradually adapt. Ya it works but its to slow and not efficient fucking at all. Hence why u need to tell them to stfu take there old tech burn to shit and MAKE THEM (market talk wise) buy the new one. 

Humans are stupid creatures they need to manipulated like this or we would still be centuries behind. I wish u could see the realities that would have taken place if this logic base hadn't been established in the minds of the top companies back in the days and now. Then u could really see reality for what it is or I guess better put what it would have been. 

Don't group the entirety of humanity in the same relm as your line of thinking.  Doing so is an insult to just about everyone who isn't a shill for their favorite company. 

Also, apple isn't even a century old, so no, we wouldn't be a century behind if your favorite company didn't exist. 

I REALLY hope that apple is paying you good money to spout your nonsense, because if not, you're a rather sad individual. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:43 AM, TheReal_ist said:

We can't keep wired forever and wireless needed to happen

Yes we can keep it. You can have both wired and wireless, it's not one dimensional lol.

So BY REMOVING it they not only upended the 90% of users who buy phones but they also showed how amazing wireless can be with the Airpods. Which is now the #1 selling wireless headphones in the ENTIRE world fyi.

It's not amazing. Airpods are upsold junk and pure marketing genius, along with some memes sprinkled that boost sales.

If only we had a time machine or a portal gun to visit alternate realities. Because if we did I would be able to show u the worlds where Apple never existed, ones where they did and didn't do these changes to the market and so on. The point is u WOULD SEE with your own eyes that damn he was right if someone as well known as Apple (fill in with whatever alternate reality company is like apple in there clout) wouldn't have done what they did. The industry would not only be behind YEARS but likely a decade or more. All because no other company with the clout Apple has made such bold and brave decisions to say "Fuck the normal and known we want better shit whether u humans who hate change want it or not."

That would be true if Steve Jobs was still alive. The industry wouldn't be behind a decade either. Apple doesn't invent much.

First Point:

This was merely a non accounted for plus when they removed it.

There's a few things off about this statement. The premise was that the jack did not take up as much space as Apple claims it does. Then why would you say that the "extra space" was a plus?

And yet for the past 20 yrs of releases every product that has removed something did it for a reason. Not because of money but because the old was shit and they wanted to add something NEW that wasn't shit. Therefore they removed it.

This statement is a very nice example of, a nice big statement that I'd like to see you back up.

Ohh and while I'm here here's some explanations that none of u consider for common other points about Apple. If u wanna comment on them as well go ahead. Any discussion on this much MISINFORMED topic is great. :)

Ironic.

Apple is trying to move everyone using an iphone away from the jack right? Now if you had the option to continue using an adapter that is literally given to you "Making you think I need to use this from Apple". Ya you'd likely use it and therefore continue using jack style headphones. Rather then biting the bullet and going bluetooth already.

Blind assumption that everybody has the capability to just "bite the bullet" and go bluetooth. Blind assumption that it's a good thing. Yes, I want to use my jack style headphones, is that so much to ask for that you make me buy it separate? Either way it's cheaper to buy an adapter than decent sounding bluetooth headphones, so it's a money grab. You have not proven that Apple has not included the adapter for the sake of cheaping out.

So then rather then this being an example of being cheap its rather an example of Apple following there principle of pushing people to a jack less wireless future. You have to really take into context the ideals, values and principles Apple is going by when reviewing there products. Not just the surface level things that everyone always has an opinion on ie. price, y they don't put fast charging accessories in the retail box, etc.

They could be both cheaping out and pushing towards a wireless future. Why they would want to push towards that wireless future is also up for contention. Price is not a surface level factor that "everyone always has an opinion on." They are a company. They need to make money to please the board of directors and investors. It'd be nice if every company was driven only by philosophy and able to ignore such futile things like money hehe.

They don't because as studies have shown fast charging even at the conservative amount that we techies use it still damages the battery. Now imagine if the general public aka 90% of iPhone buyers were given the easy option of always using fast charging. Ya that would be a mess we would have METRIC TONS of iphones with useless degraded batteries, thats why Apple is saying "if you want fast charging then your not the basic consumer." (since you even know about such techs) SO THEY SAY "you can go and separately buy it from them if you really want it. And because of this the investors who see a chance to GOUGE u the enthusiast like crazy they will. Apple charges what they charge for a philosophical reason and so if u don't agree with that vision of they know better. Then by all means go ham with whatever u want. 

Apple will keep selling what they think is the right path with regards to fast charging to there loyal customers. And that philosophical reasons are as follows: 

1. That not only would we have METRIC tons of used iphone batteries damaging the planet with the toxic chemicals they leak out in landfills. But rather instead of just the enthusiasts using fast charging we NOW HAVE EVERYONE using it. Causing EVERY phones battery to be replaced even faster. So not good at ALL.

That's real idealistic. Apple is not a god that wants to save the planet. By selling technology products and pushing the boundary, sorry following other companies that do, Apple inherently damages the planet by an absurd proportion. They even offer battery replacements to everybody, it's not like they're trying to save landfills from toxic batteries. If they really wanted to, Apple would have stuck by the whole slowing phones down thing and not doing anything to change it.

2. Second On top of all that Fast Charging is NOT A SOLUTION to our battery concerns. This method is not new its literally just playing around with the volts and amps to charge it faster. Simple as shit for an electrician fresh out of EVEN community college to do. This is a BAND AID solution to the ACTUAL issue which is that batteries are shit and need to fixed ASAP.

Do you have an electrical engineering degree? Can you prove batteries are shit and need to be fixed ASAP? How is fast charging not a solution to... faster charging times...?

So instead of fixing this issue by investing in new battery techs with actual market leaders behind them giving them thereby validity to the market. They do this shit ass move and make u idiots (Ya idiots u are lead to believe fast charging is hard to do so u buy into it. therefore u are objectively idiots. Period) pay for privilege of using tech that is old is electricity itself is. Isn't that ironic, its coming full circle ain't it.

I didn't think a Commodore 64 could do fast charging. Wowie, why didn't they have this before? It would've revolutionized the market! Oh, they couldn't. Oops.

So not only does apple not want the average idiot to have them.

Yes they do. They already do. That's what airpods are for.

they also know this solution (of fast charging) isn't one its bullshit and should be told as such. Therefore they won't support it for the masses, if the idiot enthusiasts wanna buy it they will happily sell u one, that's the investors bit of Apple talking.

It's not bullshit though. It works and it's great. You literally just acknowledged that the investors push Apple to get more money, which squeeze some extra dollars buy making fast chargers separate.

(Also if u want fast charging look up Anker like come on don't buy enthusiast shit from apple, u guys should know this.)

WHAT?! This is borderline humor. This statement: A. Acknowledges Apple isn't good at inventing and innovating. B. Says that Apple is not for enthusiasts, but for average people. But, I thought you said that Apple doesn't want the average idiot as a customer.

Overall, your points don't make sense at all. They view Apple as some higher, god tier philosophical company.

We can't keep wired forever and wireless needed to happen

Yes we can keep it. You can have both wired and wireless, it's not one dimensional lol.

So BY REMOVING it they not only upended the 90% of users who buy phones but they also showed how amazing wireless can be with the Airpods. Which is now the #1 selling wireless headphones in the ENTIRE world fyi.

It's not amazing. Airpods are upsold junk and pure marketing genius, along with some memes sprinkled that boost sales.

If only we had a time machine or a portal gun to visit alternate realities. Because if we did I would be able to show u the worlds where Apple never existed, ones where they did and didn't do these changes to the market and so on. The point is u WOULD SEE with your own eyes that damn he was right if someone as well known as Apple (fill in with whatever alternate reality company is like apple in there clout) wouldn't have done what they did. The industry would not only be behind YEARS but likely a decade or more. All because no other company with the clout Apple has made such bold and brave decisions to say "Fuck the normal and known we want better shit whether u humans who hate change want it or not."

That would be true if Steve Jobs was still alive. The industry wouldn't be behind a decade either. Apple doesn't invent much.

First Point:

This was merely a non accounted for plus when they removed it.

There's a few things off about this statement. The premise was that the jack did not take up as much space as Apple claims it does. Then why would you say that the "extra space" was a plus?

And yet for the past 20 yrs of releases every product that has removed something did it for a reason. Not because of money but because the old was shit and they wanted to add something NEW that wasn't shit. Therefore they removed it.

This statement is a very nice example of, a nice big statement that I'd like to see you back up.

Ohh and while I'm here here's some explanations that none of u consider for common other points about Apple. If u wanna comment on them as well go ahead. Any discussion on this much MISINFORMED topic is great. :)

Ironic.

Apple is trying to move everyone using an iphone away from the jack right? Now if you had the option to continue using an adapter that is literally given to you "Making you think I need to use this from Apple". Ya you'd likely use it and therefore continue using jack style headphones. Rather then biting the bullet and going bluetooth already.

Blind assumption that everybody has the capability to just "bite the bullet" and go bluetooth. Blind assumption that it's a good thing. Yes, I want to use my jack style headphones, is that so much to ask for that you make me buy it separate? Either way it's cheaper to buy an adapter than decent sounding bluetooth headphones, so it's a money grab. You have not proven that Apple has not included the adapter for the sake of cheaping out.

So then rather then this being an example of being cheap its rather an example of Apple following there principle of pushing people to a jack less wireless future. You have to really take into context the ideals, values and principles Apple is going by when reviewing there products. Not just the surface level things that everyone always has an opinion on ie. price, y they don't put fast charging accessories in the retail box, etc.

They could be both cheaping out and pushing towards a wireless future. Why they would want to push towards that wireless future is also up for contention. Price is not a surface level factor that "everyone always has an opinion on." They are a company. They need to make money to please the board of directors and investors. It'd be nice if every company was driven only by philosophy and able to ignore such futile things like money hehe.

They don't because as studies have shown fast charging even at the conservative amount that we techies use it still damages the battery. Now imagine if the general public aka 90% of iPhone buyers were given the easy option of always using fast charging. Ya that would be a mess we would have METRIC TONS of iphones with useless degraded batteries, thats why Apple is saying "if you want fast charging then your not the basic consumer." (since you even know about such techs) SO THEY SAY "you can go and separately buy it from them if you really want it. And because of this the investors who see a chance to GOUGE u the enthusiast like crazy they will. Apple charges what they charge for a philosophical reason and so if u don't agree with that vision of they know better. Then by all means go ham with whatever u want. 

Apple will keep selling what they think is the right path with regards to fast charging to there loyal customers. And that philosophical reasons are as follows: 

1. That not only would we have METRIC tons of used iphone batteries damaging the planet with the toxic chemicals they leak out in landfills. But rather instead of just the enthusiasts using fast charging we NOW HAVE EVERYONE using it. Causing EVERY phones battery to be replaced even faster. So not good at ALL.

That's real idealistic. Apple is not a god that wants to save the planet. By selling technology products and pushing the boundary, sorry following other companies that do, Apple inherently damages the planet by an absurd proportion. They even offer battery replacements to everybody, it's not like they're trying to save landfills from toxic batteries. If they really wanted to, Apple would have stuck by the whole slowing phones down thing and not doing anything to change it.

2. Second On top of all that Fast Charging is NOT A SOLUTION to our battery concerns. This method is not new its literally just playing around with the volts and amps to charge it faster. Simple as shit for an electrician fresh out of EVEN community college to do. This is a BAND AID solution to the ACTUAL issue which is that batteries are shit and need to fixed ASAP.

Do you have an electrical engineering degree? Can you prove batteries are shit and need to be fixed ASAP? How is fast charging not a solution to... faster charging times...?

So instead of fixing this issue by investing in new battery techs with actual market leaders behind them giving them thereby validity to the market. They do this shit ass move and make u idiots (Ya idiots u are lead to believe fast charging is hard to do so u buy into it. therefore u are objectively idiots. Period) pay for privilege of using tech that is old is electricity itself is. Isn't that ironic, its coming full circle ain't it.

I didn't think a Commodore 64 could do fast charging. Wowie, why didn't they have this before? It would've revolutionized the market! Oh, they couldn't. Oops.

So not only does apple not want the average idiot to have them.

Yes they do. They already do. That's what airpods are for.

they also know this solution (of fast charging) isn't one its bullshit and should be told as such. Therefore they won't support it for the masses, if the idiot enthusiasts wanna buy it they will happily sell u one, that's the investors bit of Apple talking.

It's not bullshit though. It works and it's great. You literally just acknowledged that the investors push Apple to get more money, which squeeze some extra dollars buy making fast chargers separate.

(Also if u want fast charging look up Anker like come on don't buy enthusiast shit from apple, u guys should know this.)

WHAT?! This is borderline humor. This statement: A. Acknowledges Apple isn't good at inventing and innovating. B. Says that Apple is not for enthusiasts, but for average people. But, I thought you said that Apple doesn't want the average idiot as a customer.

Overall, your points don't make sense at all. They view Apple as some higher, god tier philosophical company.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

2 hours ago, TheReal_ist said:

They didn't remove it for space they removed it to push the industry forward and therefore away from such an archaic port. Not only did I already explain this but Apple themself when they released the iPhone 7 without a jack told us why they did it. 

Please refrain from spreading misinformation

thanks.....

You know that a different opinion to yours is not misinformation.  In fact if anything most of what you are trying to claim as hard fact is little more than your opinion and logically speaking  most of it doesn't hold any water, thus you are the one guilty of misinformation.

When companies push technology forward for the greater good of consumers they do so leaving every option open and no consumer without a choice.  Floppy disk coexisted with ODD for decades, ODD coexisted with USB for decades, Sata and PATA co existed for almost decades.  All these dead technologies did not cease to be a thing until basically there where no consumers left using them.  FDD disappeared well after everyone had moved to USB drives,  In fact it was hard to find shops selling floppy disks when they were phased out, we still have more wired headphones and adapters on the market than wireless, ergo it is not an old standard that people no longer use.  Removing it on all products is not forcing anything except revenue driven business practices upon consumers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@food158 I think that wireless makes a very good compliment to wired, and can be a good replacement in certain instances.  Emphasis on certain. 

The removal of the headphone jack is part subjective and part objective. 

The subjective part is that many people perfer certain headphones over others, and most of the better sounding headphones (subjectively speaking of course) tend to be wired. 

The objective part is that apple removed functionality that doesn't have a proper replacement, and that wireless audio has a lot of disadvantages as well, many of which are convenience related. 

The problem with OP's logic is that he's assuming that wireless audio is competing with wired, which is far from the truth. 

Many wired speakers are geared toward the outdoorsman, having features like water resistance and portability, while a wired pair will focus on sound quality and ease of integration.  While there is overlap they are largely geared towards separate audiences.  One isn't inherently better than the other, it's purely dependent on the individual's needs whether or not wireless is more valued then wired technology.  Apple shoving what they think is best down everyone's throats is what people largely have a problem with. 

47 minutes ago, food158 said:

Apple is not a god that wants to save the planet.

If apple cared about this planet then they would be in support for right to repair, and I'm not even talking about legislation, I'm talking about supporting independent repair technicians repairing what would normally be trashed by apple.  E-waste is a rather large problem. 

@mr moose

While phones are hardly a good device when it comes to backwards compatibility I would like to see some kind of standard across the board such as the ATX standard on desktops.  Don't need a headphone jack?  Great, populate that module with more storage or RAM.

I've seen a few single board computers that have an EMMC slot for adding whatever amount of storage fits your budget. 

I would imagine that a slot with simaler dimensions could be used as a PCIe slot for phones of sorts, perhaps only an x1 connection, but that would still provide an insane amount of flexibility and customization to one's mobile device. 

1 hour ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

@mr moose

While phones are hardly a good device when it comes to backwards compatibility I would like to see some kind of standard across the board such as the ATX standard on desktops.  Don't need a headphone jack?  Great, populate that module with more storage or RAM.

I've seen a few single board computers that have an EMMC slot for adding whatever amount of storage fits your budget. 

I would imagine that a slot with simaler dimensions could be used as a PCIe slot for phones of sorts, perhaps only an x1 connection, but that would still provide an insane amount of flexibility and customization to one's mobile device. 

I think a uniform set of slots along the bottom of the main board (like a row of phone number stubs on an ad) could be used in a modular way for, jack, ram, sd card, industry specific connector, more battery, actual usb or hdmi port (no need for an adapter) or anything really is a good idea.   It's just a shame that previous modular phone designs weren't so well thought out and thus not popular.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's just a shame that previous modular phone designs weren't so well thought out and thus not popular.

I think that the main reason why previous designs failed was due to the lack of any standards.  The ATX form factor for example is a standard that the vast majority of motherboards use.  That allows pretty much mostly universal compatibility for PCIe peripherals. 

For a modular phone design to gain any traction there will need to be a widely accepted and adopted motherboard standard that several phone manufacturers must agree on.

I actually discussed a simaler concept with @TopHatProductions115 a few months ago in regards to laptops.

This is unfortunately unlikely to happen due to the vast changes in phone motherboard design due to the desire to make phones thinner among other things.  Not to mention the challenges of making a design like that water resistant.

It's just a shame, I see many addons available to the raspberry pi via the 40 pin GPIO, and I have thought to myself many times "damn, I really wish that there was something like that for my phone" several single board computers also have identical GPIO pinouts simaler to that of a raspberry pi, so it's becoming somewhat of a standard in the single board computer realm. 

I went off on a tangent tbere didn't I?

This just reads as an airpod advert and a person defending their purchase.

The quest is to affirm your ego and is not seeking actual conversation.

" mainstream idiots "

Thanks for coming forth with all your bias.

On a side note, I'm done with mainstream. My next phone is going to be a Chinese one, because no mainstream manufacturer was kind enough to leave me a headphone jack (they left me infuriating dongles instead). Can't wait to have night vision, though :D 

26 minutes ago, 7Hertz said:

This just reads as an airpod advert and a person defending their purchase.

Now that you mention it, it kinda does.  I feel that at this point arguing with OP is pointless though.  He clearly just wants to live in an echo chamber. 

14 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

On a side note, I'm done with mainstream. My next phone is going to be a Chinese one, because no mainstream manufacturer was kind enough to leave me a headphone jack (they left me infuriating dongles instead). Can't wait to have night vision, though :D 

Samsung still makes phones with headphone jacks, but we are talking about Samsung here, they aren't exactly the saving grace of the smartphone industry. 

Honestly, after my discussion with @mr moose I really want a phone that has a 40 pin GPIO connector on the back.  That design would actually be easy to make water resistant with some epoxy over the exposed PCB and having the phone detect a short like my note does.

It would make a very large amount of peripherals available for the phone on the get go, and no shortage anytime soon.

Thoughts on that idea?

12 hours ago, TheReal_ist said:

They didn't remove it for space they removed it to push the industry forward and therefore away from such an archaic port. Not only did I already explain this but Apple themself when they released the iPhone 7 without a jack told us why they did it. 

thanks.....

But still.. whats the point in removing it? i literally bought a p20 lite instead of the p20 just so i could have my headphone jack.. its bloody stupid..

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

17 hours ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

@food158 I think that wireless makes a very good compliment to wired, and can be a good replacement in certain instances.  Emphasis on certain. 

The removal of the headphone jack is part subjective and part objective. 

The subjective part is that many people perfer certain headphones over others, and most of the better sounding headphones (subjectively speaking of course) tend to be wired. 

The objective part is that apple removed functionality that doesn't have a proper replacement, and that wireless audio has a lot of disadvantages as well, many of which are convenience related. 

The problem with OP's logic is that he's assuming that wireless audio is competing with wired, which is far from the truth. 

Many wired speakers are geared toward the outdoorsman, having features like water resistance and portability, while a wired pair will focus on sound quality and ease of integration.  While there is overlap they are largely geared towards separate audiences.  One isn't inherently better than the other, it's purely dependent on the individual's needs whether or not wireless is more valued then wired technology.  Apple shoving what they think is best down everyone's throats is what people largely have a problem with. 

If apple cared about this planet then they would be in support for right to repair, and I'm not even talking about legislation, I'm talking about supporting independent repair technicians repairing what would normally be trashed by apple.  E-waste is a rather large problem. 

@mr moose

He also doesn't factor in people's bank account balances.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

3 minutes ago, food158 said:

He also doesn't factor in people's bank account balances.

Well, yeah.  I didn't really bring that up because most people that can't afford a new pair of headphones probably can't afford a new phone either, but there are factors like having to replace a damaged or stolen phone. 

So yeah, budget is a huge deciding factor as well, perhaps the biggest. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, TheReal_ist said:

That's not true - they quite clearly said they needed to remove it to "save space", so they could add things like the humidity sensor. That doesn't mean saving space was the only reason that they gave. It wasn't. There were multiple reasons.

The primary actual reason though is because they own Beats and they want to make lots of money by selling more Beats or AirPods than they otherwise would.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, TheReal_ist said:

thanks.....

You've been doing that yourself quite a bit.

The headphone jack is pretty universal in terms of it's one of the only times in history where a technology was replaced with one that isn't inherently superior, that also has massive downsides.

Wireless is great. But you seem to be under the impression that to have good wireless, you need to remove the jack. That is simply incorrect.

In every other instance of a new technology, it was phased in side by side with the older technology (or the new technology was simply better in every single way - which isn't the case with Bluetooth vs wired). Take USB: USB 2.0 is still on many devices to this day, despite USB 3.0 being superior on paper. There are reasons for this, though - such as USB 3.0 being touchy with many legacy devices (USB drives in particular).

Take Parallel Port vs USB - most computers had both for quite some time as people slowly replaced their parallel printers with USB printers.

Take PATA vs SATA - again, same thing. Most computers had both for quite some time while people slowly switched to the new tech.

For those who want cutting edge, it's there. For those who don't feel like (or can't afford to) replace every single perfectly working peripheral with one that has a different plug on the end of it? They get to use the legacy stuff.

Quite simply, the removal of the headphone jack is kind of a unique aberration in tech evolution.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You've been doing that yourself quite a bit.

I think that most of OPs thoughts can be chalked up to speculation, although he tends to go onto tangents so I admittedly haven't read a lot of what he said if he didn't directly quote me.  

Although when it came to his explanation of water resistance he was downright spreading misinformation.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The headphone jack is pretty universal in terms of it's one of the only times in history where a technology was replaced with one that isn't inherently superior, that also has massive downsides.

Wireless is great. But you seem to be under the impression that to have good wireless, you need to remove the jack. That is simply incorrect.

In every other instance of a new technology, it was phased in side by side with the older technology (or the new technology was simply better in every single way - which isn't the case with Bluetooth vs wired). Take USB: USB 2.0 is still on many devices to this day, despite USB 3.0 being superior on paper. There are reasons for this, though - such as USB 3.0 being touchy with many legacy devices (USB drives in particular).

Take Parallel Port vs USB - most computers had both for quite some time as people slowly replaced their parallel printers with USB printers.

Take PATA vs SATA - again, same thing. Most computers had both for quite some time while people slowly switched to the new tech.

For those who want cutting edge, it's there. For those who don't feel like (or can't afford to) replace every single perfectly working peripheral with one that has a different plug on the end of it? They get to use the legacy stuff.

Quite simply, the removal of the headphone jack is kind of a unique aberration in tech evolution.

The removal of the headphone jack was very abrupt compared to most other connectors, and even so, there are PCIe cards (or adapters) for most of the connectors that have since been removed from current hardware. 

Headphone dongles are simaler in that regard, but the problem with that is twofold.  One, there is no standard, so some work with some phones and not others, and two, there is only one USB port on your phone.  While wireless charging is a thing, it's no substitute for an actual wire.  I have said this before, but if you give me 2 USB C ports, with one that has a built in DAC/AMP, I'll be happy.  That would allow any 5 dollar dongle to work with the device, and more versatility with USB OTG functionality. 

3 hours ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

I think that most of OPs thoughts can be chalked up to speculation, although he tends to go onto tangents so I admittedly haven't read a lot of what he said if he didn't directly quote me.  

Although when it came to his explanation of water resistance he was downright spreading misinformation.

The removal of the headphone jack was very abrupt compared to most other connectors, and even so, there are PCIe cards (or adapters) for most of the connectors that have since been removed from current hardware. 

Headphone dongles are simaler in that regard, but the problem with that is twofold.  One, there is no standard, so some work with some phones and not others, and two, there is only one USB port on your phone.  While wireless charging is a thing, it's no substitute for an actual wire.  I have said this before, but if you give me 2 USB C ports, with one that has a built in DAC/AMP, I'll be happy.  That would allow any 5 dollar dongle to work with the device, and more versatility with USB OTG functionality. 

Indeed, I have no problem with a 3.5mm dongle (I mean, it's still annoying, but a compromise I can live with), assuming I have 2x data ports.

Also, every single smartphone has a DAC/Amp in it already. Every single one. Bluetooth headphones are duplicating that circuitry, and in situations where you don't actually need portability - it's a waste.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

and in situations where you don't actually need portability

You say that as if wireless headphones are more portable than wired.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The lack of wires are helpful for more active activities.  But I get what you mean, you need a charging cable and a wall to USB outlet. 

Although for road warriors, a multi USB wall outlet is common for them to store already.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

They can be, in some situations. But honestly the primary benefit of wireless isn't actually even portability - it's simply convenience while listening, due to the lack of cables.

The wireless factor can allow you to be physically disconnected (and separated by some distance) from your playback device - but this is incredibly niche. The vast majority of people are within a foot or two of their playback device, be it their smartphone, their car, etc.

7 hours ago, Skanky Sylveon said:

The lack of wires are helpful for more active activities. 

Not really.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:43 PM, TheReal_ist said:

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Maybe if you used complete words, proper grammar, and proper punctuation instead of this silly "text speak" people would bother reading your entire post. As it is, your poor wording makes your post extremely unreadable. I got to the third sentence before I started thinking things that if I posted them here I'd be banned for rude behaviour or something.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Who closed the 'vote'? I'd wanted to pick the fourth option but realized it was closed. Was it the OP/TS, things weren't going his way so he opted to close the 'Vote'??

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

They did it to make more money.

You either had to buy the airpods, or a vastly overpriced lightning connector.

No secret and no surprise as they are a business who knows they have a significant customer base that will pay through the nose for anything from Apple.