Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LienusLateTips

NEW PSU Tier List

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Curious... What is the point of replacing the PSU in a pre-built if you're going to replace it with another low quality unit? If you're okay with having a low quality PSU, then keep the one that is already in the system and save your money.
Not all pre-built PSUs are as bad as everyone thinks... People may end up replacing it with something no better or potentially even worse from that list (like when Bitwit replaced the Great Wall PSU in the Walmart PC with a Seasonic M12ii).

well, it's to give a idea of the use of that quality of a psu. if you have suggestions for a different name, i would love to hear them

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you have a mid range system, you don't need a 1200W PSU. :D
I get why it's there with the wattage specified since it's probably a different platform than what the other wattages in that series use, but the way that's written seems to be suggesting that the Toughpower Grand/RGB 1200W would be a suitable choice for someone with a mid range system.

is reasonable, but it's quality what counts, wattage isn't a consideration in the tiering

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

80 Plus ratings are not a model. Do you mean the EVGA W1 and EVGA N1? If so, you should specify the actual models and not just their 80 Plus rating. EVGA has a habit of releasing 6,000 models of PSU within the same 80 Plus ranking space, so who knows if they release a W2 or N2 unit that might be completely different... Everything else on the list has its series name listed, so makes no sense to just categorise those by 80+ ratings.

be honest, is there any 80+ white or non-rated evga unit you would buy?

PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs///Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Second PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop : Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Game consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

17 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Kudos to everyone contributed for the new list!!

thanks!

PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs///Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Game consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

13 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Where's Edison M from Fractal Design? Previous lists had it.

watch the list in the notes, we want to keep the most common units here

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, it's to give a idea of the use of that quality of a psu. if you have suggestions for a different name, i would love to hear them

"Low quality"? "Poor quality"?
idk... I guess it's kind of the list of "If you have it and you have low end or older harder, then keep it, but if you are planning on adding a graphics card or upgrading you should replace the PSU" category? Not sure how you would express that, but "Prebuilt replacements" doesn't fit in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

is reasonable, but it's quality what counts, wattage isn't a consideration in the tiering

Agreed. Just seems odd having a 1200W PSU in the mid range section :D I guess I'll chalk that one up to being a completely useless product from Thermaltake that doesn't need to exist. Like RGB on PSUs from Thermaltake.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

be honest, is there any 80+ white or non-rated evga unit you would buy?

Nope... But at least for the sake of consistency in the list it should still list by the model/series and not the 80 plus rating.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

G2 above G3? Explain.

Pure Power 10 above Corsair CX? Explain.

Still have no clue what criteria you're using to grade these...

Noise? EMI filter? Build quality? Topology?....

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rexper said:

G2 above G3? Explain.

Pure Power 10 above Corsair CX? Explain.

Still have no clue what criteria you're using to grade these...

Noise? EMI filter? Build quality? Topology?....

This list is pretty much the same as the old list with 1 crossed out and A written in its place. The G3 was dropped a tier [in the old list] after reviewers noted it had issues with its protections (can't remember what, high ocp or opp trip point I think). That's probably why it's still ranked below G2 in this list.

The CX is in tier 3 C because the list says no units with sleeved bearing fans above tier 3 C, and the Corsair website stated sleeve bearing on the CX units even though Jonnyguru has stated it's using a rifle bearing fan and that the website was wrong.

(Btw the corsair website has since been updated to show rifle bearing fan for CX 2017 units)

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Low quality"? "Poor quality"?
idk... I guess it's kind of the list of "If you have it and you have low end or older harder, then keep it, but if you are planning on adding a graphics card or upgrading you should replace the PSU" category? Not sure how you would express that, but "Prebuilt replacements" doesn't fit in my opinion.

not the name i would look for, they aren't crap. just not good enough imo for a gaming system. tho you are right, a different name might be needed

Agreed. Just seems odd having a 1200W PSU in the mid range section :D I guess I'll chalk that one up to being a completely useless product from Thermaltake that doesn't need to exist. Like RGB on PSUs from Thermaltake.

it's true, but just for the sake of platform it'll be there

Nope... But at least for the sake of consistency in the list it should still list by the model/series and not the 80 plus rating.

sounds fair, we'll look into it with the next update (which might be tomorrow)

4 minutes ago, Rexper said:

G2 above G3? Explain.

opp and otp?

6 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Pure Power 10 above Corsair CX? 

@Stefan Payne

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

high ocp or opp trip point I think). That's probably why it's ranked below G2.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

opp and otp?

The G2 also has very high trip points and completely lacks OCP.

Just now, Rexper said:

The G2 also has very high trip points and completely lacks OCP.

Honestly, can't remember what it was...

Here's the thread from the forums about it that spurred the change in the original PSU tier list (which I'm guessing is carried over to this list).

And here's the original source from Tom's Hardware (Aris)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-6.html

From the quick glance I just gave it, looks as if it's saying that the OPP (140%) and OTP (180C secondary side) is set too high for that unit to comfortably handle.

@LienusLateTips Is the reason the CX 2017 is in Tier C is that it previously [incorrectly] listed a sleeved bearing fan on the Corsair website (and no sleeve bearing fan PSUs above Tier 3)? Will it be moved up now that the website is fixed and it's listed as Rifle Bearing on the website? Or is there other reasons for it to be in Tier C? The single 6+2 PCIe connector on the CX450 (2017) is an issue for higher end cards but I'm not sure how much cable compatibility weighs in on the list...

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, 191x7 said:

Where's Edison M from Fractal Design? Previous lists had it.

Discontinued, hard to find. Legacy list 2.1 will continue maintenance for old units.

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Honestly, can't remember what it was...

Here's the thread from the forums about it that spurred the change in the original PSU tier list (which I'm guessing is carried over to this list).

And here's the original source from Tom's Hardware (Aris)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-6.html

From the quick glance I just gave it, looks as if it's saying that the OPP (140%) and OTP (180C secondary side) is set too high for that unit to comfortably handle.

@LienusLateTips Is the reason the CX 2017 is in Tier C is that it previously [incorrectly] listed a sleeved bearing fan on the Corsair website (and no sleeve bearing fan PSUs above Tier 3)? Will it be moved up now that the website is fixed and it's listed as Rifle Bearing on the website? Or is there other reasons for it to be in Tier C? The single 6+2 PCIe connector on the CX450 (2017) is an issue for higher end cards but I'm not sure how much cable compatibility weighs in on the list...

I'm more of a figurehead position in this project so far, go ask @Stefan Payne and @LukeSavenije

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus Q87M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 | MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I still think it's stupid to have S above A.

Blame the Japanese, they started it.

In any decent Japanese game with Rating, S is above A.

Devil May Cry might have started it, maybe others.

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

also, why is the revolution SFX in the same tier as garbage anyway?

Really really bad fan controller.

Its OK otherwise.

But if the fan starts every other second (and no, I'm not joking, I mean it literally!)

Every second or two, maybe 3 the fan either starts or stops under "normal idle load" (ie 60-90W or so)

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

still feels pretty unfair to enermax for putting it as the same tier as an explosive for a shitty fan.

Yeah, kinda.

But on the other hand, they released the PSU with this fan controller...

All they needed to do was increase the min voltage as its a pure voltage regulated thing it seems.

And it starts with a +12V Pulse as well.

But then the voltages goes so far down that the fan stops spinning...

And every time the fan starts (or was it stopping??) there is a slight hissing and rattling...

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Where on here does the Be Quiet SFX Power 2 300W go on here? Not going to replace it, but id like to know either way and im not seeing it on here or in the legacy list. Dont think i would have bought it if it was super explosive but im guessing its like D teir

Its a 08/15 Standard thing like every other SFX, really nothing to write home about.

And not DC-DC.

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Are FSP HydroGE units that bad? Their pricing is way off btw, a whisper M gold or focus plus gold is cheaper than HydroGE-s, so I would not recommend them anyways..

Its a lower end Plattform, pushed to gold with modular Board.

The insides are similar/the same as FSP Hexa85+ and Raider II.

So yeah and "bonus Points" for a close name to the pretty good Hydro G....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Helpful list guys, gonna frequent this one when recommending PSU's :)

Sad to see my PSU (RMX) not be in the highest tier though 😣

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I still think it's stupid to have S above A.

Melee tierlists: hold my GameCube controller:

image.png.fc800a25e54d139cd9f378785bbfb736.png

/s

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"We’re here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff.” - Scott Pilgrim

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Sad to see my PSU (RMX) not be in the highest tier though 😣

doesn't mean it's bad tho. it's just nothing compared to a 250+ dollar psu

7 minutes ago, Oalei said:

This is the people's that we want but, they're not what we deserved.

Well thanks for the new psu tier list anyway

don't worry about it, we all did it for a reason: to help

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its a 08/15 Standard thing like every other SFX, really nothing to write home about.

And not DC-DC.

So yeah and "bonus Points" for a close name to the pretty good Hydro G....

So one is saying B-A teir and one is saying middle of the road 🤔 Either way its not too important, just as long as its not explosive its good enough as its rarely used

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I had an Edison M 550W for some 3 years and it died (by that I mean it started having issues, issues that were hard to detect), the RMA was accepted by the shop and the importer but it would have been long for the new Edison M 550W to arrive (they told me more than a month) so they suggested I choose a different PSU. Availability in the price range was really bad so I chose the EVGA 550W SuperNova G3 guided by some PSU Tier lists including the old one here on the forum. That was before the problems people mention were discovered. Should I be worried? I had the fan set to Hybrid and that was awful (loud when the fan starts, and that was all the time), but switched to always on and it's Quiet.

2 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Should I be worried?

no. the g3 is just not sensitive enough under certain loads and temps, so as long as you threat it right, it should be fine. if it wasn't, we would have put it in the nonbuy catagory

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Well is there any difference between aurum S and not S?

as far as i can see both are group regulated active clamp, so it should be around the same

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Well is there any difference between aurum S and not S?

Same platform. The main difference is the "non S" having four 12V rails while the S has a single 12V rail.

32 minutes ago, Rexper said:

Same platform. The main difference is the "non S" having four 12V rails while the S has a single 12V rail.

Okeey and still don't know what is that even means, but thanks anyway

4 minutes ago, Oalei said:

the s is worse than the non-s, but it isn't much better

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Game consoles:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Think of a breaker box in your house.

With a multi-rail PSU,

Basically the power delivered to your system is split up into different segments (rails). Each of these rails have their own Over Current Protection, where it will safely turn the PSU off if there's too much power going through a rail. Rarely, a multi-rail unit can cause compatibility issues. Otherwise multi-rail is preferred.

A single rail PSU will only have one segment (rail). This rail still has the over current protection (they actually use "Over Power Protection"), but it's set a much higher point.

If there's too much power going out the PSU (either caused by a short or overpowered components), it can melt, start fires, kill components, etc.

dhMeAzK.gif 

My first reaction to placing of the Hydro GE was "Wut", but I have to say it makes sense – it would be somewhat ok, if price reflected the quality. Now, it costs close to the RMx/Whisper M, which is a suicide on FSP's part. 

At least fan is somewhat quiet under low loads.

Suggestion – would it be possible to link some of those PSUs to the Cybenetics database? Or implement its noise ratings? You know, if there is a solid database, might as well try to use it

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w