4 yr old Note Edge going strong, Software Updates not so much. Disappointed

Neokolzia

So noticed in recent Wan show this was talked about and never really thought of it but its true that haven't had a update pushed for a very long time, Late 2016 is the last security patch.

And here's the thing like there's zero issues with the phone (its basically a Note 4)  Have had to replace battery once on it, the case that used for 4 years now just starting to show wear, absolutely 0 damage/wear on screen or really anything else to mention and has been my daily driver.

Now I only got security updates for 2.5 years after purchase, that seems very minimal considering phone certainly has alot of life left, I really haven't felt at all that purchasing another 300-500$+ phone would improve my user experience as I only use it for browsing internet, checking things, checking emails, alarms, normal stuff (I don't mobile game its all trash sorry)

So while I understand there isn't much I can do to fix this device as also frusteratingly Samsung made like 8 skews for North America and Canada got its own version so custom firmware support is non-existant and many people don't patch their versions to support this Canadian version.

So honestly it feels a bit cheated, The phone performs great, hardware is great, still got nice tactile buttons I love, replaceable batteries I love, an edge screen still yet to be replicated with Pager like memo's.

And yet basically I can flip it after I have to get rid of it but ultimately its not a good phone for someone to use anymore.

And whats frustrating is I had no idea the support would be so short lived on the device as 2.5 years of Security updates is not very much.

So moving forward I have no idea what to get that will actually be supported for a long time and not taken off security updates while phone is completely and perfectly usable.

Because if companies like Samsung do business this way, Honestly I'd prefer to bring my business elsewhere instead of feeling pigeon holed into purchasing a new device because of incredibly short software update commitment from the company.

7 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

Now I only got security updates for 2.5 years after purchase,

security updates really does nothing, also as for android version update, just some un-noticeable new features/ "bug fix".

yes, only expect samsung to provide 2 yrs of slow updates.

Most android manufacturers do this. It's a real shame and it might be changing soon but if you're looking for an android that is supported for a decent amount of time the Google Pixel line has security patches for three years. That said, I think some of their phones have bugs and Google isn't know to fix bugs very fast. Look at an iPhone if you want long term support. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

As is the case with most android phones. If you want a phone with the most support, also as discussed on the WAN show, the iPhone is the way to go if you want a device that lasts. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

the iPhone is the way to go if you want a device that lasts. 

Only as far as software updates go. Otherwise, iPhone is a piss poor choice.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I'm still rocking an iPhone 6s Plus with no complaints. I fail to see the piss poor choice I made, Lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah iPhones last like a year before a new overpriced model shows up.

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

Yeah iPhones last like a year before a new overpriced model shows up.

Not what I'm referring to, as that's true of most OEMs in general. Instead, the hardware often breaks down after ~2 years.

And if it didn't, the long term support Apple offers would only matter to a niche audience. Most people just don't care about long term support on their phones, either they replace it too often for it to be an issue, or they're only using if for very basic things.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'm still rocking an iPhone 6s Plus with no complaints. I fail to see the piss poor choice I made, Lol. 

Got an iPhone SE. Only had to replace it with AppleCare ONCE, and a battery replacement after left in a snowbank for a week and a half til it melted without a case. I'll be buying the SE 2 that is speculated for release.

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'd give a hard no lol as well to a Iphone but after talking to some people about it ya that seems to be one of the exceptions however then have to weigh if worth switching to a iphone.  No back/menu buttons, all gesture stuff, no removable batteries, expandable storage, devices are basically made to die as other people have said.
If you take care of your phone and it isn't prone to some sort of manufactured flaw that is meant to kill most devices after about 3 years of use  then ya they do last longer.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not what I'm referring to, as that's true of most OEMs in general. Instead, the hardware often breaks down after ~2 years.

And if it didn't, the long term support Apple offers would only matter to a niche audience. Most people just don't care about long term support on their phones, either they replace it too often for it to be an issue, or they're only using if for very basic things.

Which is a bit sad, so maybe I misunderstood like how at risk I am using the phone on HTTPS sites for login credentials etc like how vulnerable my phone actually is, when only download apps extremely infrequently and usually extremely trusted ones only these days

2 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

I'd give a hard no lol as well to a Iphone but after talking to some people about it ya that seems to be one of the exceptions however then have to weigh if worth switching to a iphone.  No back/menu buttons, all gesture stuff, no removable batteries, expandable storage, devices are basically made to die as other people have said.
If you take care of your phone and it isn't prone to some sort of manufactured flaw that is meant to kill most devices after about 3 years of use  then ya they do last longer.

Which is a bit sad, so maybe I misunderstood like how at risk I am using the phone on HTTPS sites for login credentials etc like how vulnerable my phone actually is, when only download apps extremely infrequently and usually extremely trusted ones only these days

I must refute the back button argument, depending on your definition of a back button. Every app has either a back button built in, or you can swipe to the right to go back. Also, if you tap a notification and open an app, in the top left, it shows an arrow along with the name of the previous app, and if you tap that, it will go back to that app, it's quite handy.

Just now, jman116 said:

I must refute the back button argument, depending on your definition of a back button. Every app has either a back button built in, or you can swipe to the right to go back. Also, if you tap a notification and open an app, in the top left, it shows an arrow along with the name of the previous app, and if you tap that, it will go back to that app, it's quite handy.

I don't know I'm just old fashioned gotta realize I still have a tactile ACTUAL home button, physical.  And the back button and menu button to left/right of that.  Nothing on screen which I'd argue is still superior.  My phone screen is plenty big as is I don't need it to go an extra 1/2 inch and get some hideous notch and lose a physical button instead.

7 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

No back/menu buttons, all gesture stuff,

thats the main reason I cannot use the iphone, just like an idiot .

why do you have to look for back button on screen where every apps positioned differently. and only button just get you all the way home.......

5 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

I don't know I'm just old fashioned gotta realize I still have a tactile ACTUAL home button, physical.  And the back button and menu button to left/right of that.  Nothing on screen which I'd argue is still superior.  My phone screen is plenty big as is I don't need it to go an extra 1/2 inch and get some hideous notch and lose a physical button instead.

SE has a physical button ?

7 minutes ago, jman116 said:

SE has a physical button ?

Still a clunky iphone that will be honest I wouldn't want to use

3 hours ago, Neokolzia said:

So noticed in recent Wan show this was talked about and never really thought of it but its true that haven't had a update pushed for a very long time, Late 2016 is the last security patch.

And here's the thing like there's zero issues with the phone (its basically a Note 4)  Have had to replace battery once on it, the case that used for 4 years now just starting to show wear, absolutely 0 damage/wear on screen or really anything else to mention and has been my daily driver.

--SNIP--

And whats frustrating is I had no idea the support would be so short lived on the device as 2.5 years of Security updates is not very much.

So moving forward I have no idea what to get that will actually be supported for a long time and not taken off security updates while phone is completely and perfectly usable.

Because if companies like Samsung do business this way, Honestly I'd prefer to bring my business elsewhere instead of feeling pigeon holed into purchasing a new device because of incredibly short software update commitment from the company.

Yup, this is basically every Android manufacturer on the market. That being said, if you haven't already been on https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-edge you definitely should, as there are countless ROMs available that extend the functionality of devices long after a manufacturer decides to not give any shits about the people who already paid them money. A friend is still using my Galaxy Note 3 running Android 7.x or 8.x - sure it's older, but it's still a fully functional phone that runs great.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Yup, this is basically every Android manufacturer on the market. That being said, if you haven't already been on https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-edge you definitely should, as there are countless ROMs available that extend the functionality of devices long after a manufacturer decides to not give any shits about the people who already paid them money. A friend is still using my Galaxy Note 3 running Android 7.x or 8.x - sure it's older, but it's still a fully functional phone that runs great.

ya unfortunately these roms people are making and supporting are not for the canadian baseband version so I don't believe I can use them any rom support for those is very limited.

Thats just another issue with how Samsung made like 7-8 different baseband versions for North America alone.

(by no means a expert on Android roms, just my understand that they have to support my baseband in the rom which basically none of the ones on XDA do they support the USA basebands)

4 hours ago, PacketMan said:

"You are asking for an iPhone, sir"

That's what I've said if Apple wasn't being a jerk with new iPhones and new iOS updates, breaking not that old iPhones and making it a bit unusable sometimes

All I can say is you should consider going for an iPhone 8 Plus, currently really cheap, or an iPhone X/XS, the iOS support is really great and if all you do is basic stuff, wanted to be covered via security updates, wanting a great machine that will perform great despite the age... Yeah, Apple should be your choice if you don't mind

That's not really true, at least not any more.  iOS 12 actually improved speed for older phones, and I do mean old... think iPhone 5s.  It's actually somewhat shocking how just a single update can bog down Android phones while someone with a 2013 iPhone can feel like they just got a speed upgrade.

10 hours ago, Neokolzia said:

Well, that's the direction phones are going no matter what: all-screen, touch-only navigation.  I think it's just fine -- you'll get used to it and appreciate the perks.

As for your original question: as suggested earlier, this really is the level of support you get from every Android manufacturer, without exception.  Even Google's Pixel phones only get major OS updates for two years, and security updates for three; the big difference is that you don't wait six months to get those updates after they're initially released.  If you want long-term OS support better than that, you literally have to buy an iPhone.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Well, that's the direction phones are going no matter what: all-screen, touch-only navigation.  I think it's just fine -- you'll get used to it and appreciate the perks.

As for your original question: as suggested earlier, this really is the level of support you get from every Android manufacturer, without exception.  Even Google's Pixel phones only get major OS updates for two years, and security updates for three; the big difference is that you don't wait six months to get those updates after they're initially released.  If you want long-term OS support better than that, you literally have to buy an iPhone.

ya which sounds unfortunately while that is fantastic that apple does offer support that long I would not be caught dead using one for number of reasons, user interface being #1 among others.

Well thanks for help on this subject anyway

Get an iPhone. It's the best decision I've ever made. 

They're the best phones when it comes to longevity, at least from a software perspective. Right now it's reasonable to expect any iPhones to be supported for at least five years. Granted, hardware problems aren't cheap to fix, so if you're someone who tends to break their phones, get an insurance policy or Apple Care for the phone. If you're not clumsy, a case will do just fine. 

On 3/18/2019 at 8:24 AM, Neokolzia said:

ya which sounds unfortunately while that is fantastic that apple does offer support that long I would not be caught dead using one for number of reasons, user interface being #1 among others.

Well thanks for help on this subject anyway

When the first Pixel launched, I had hopes that updates over the long term might be easier to come by. To say I'd written off Android altogether should speak volumes about my disappointment.

As a fellow Android user that also likes to keep devices for a long time, my advice is to stop wasting time with Android, get over yourself, and look to an iPhone. Not one Android manufacturer (let me emphasize in angry Linus voice "None of them") seem keen on giving more than the bare minimum of software support to their devices, often substantially less for anything lower than flagship tier. Even Google stops security updates for their own Pixel line at 3 years. 

Given that this had been an issue since Android's inception (more than 10 years) and Google's current stance, it is unlikely that this will change anytime in the foreseeable future.

Ps: I am aware custom roms exist, I use one in my current phone. Would not recomment to 99% of people though unless they have the technical know-how and wherewithal to deal with the install and the frequent oddities that crop up.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just a few thoughts...

- What do you exactly expect of a newer update? Security patch won't chance anything you notice. move through the Web with a Brain, and a 2 year old Android version won't catch you any virus, malware or anything.

- Newer Versionupdate: What does that change? When my S7 Edge got updated from 7 to 8... a few Icons changed style, but honestly.. Everything worked just exactly as before. Screenshots were the same, Performance/Battery Life were the same, every setting was at the same Place.

If your 4 year old Note still works great, has enough performance for whatever you do, and enough battery life, there is no reason for it to not be usefull anymore.

Usually, 2 years major updates (2 version updates) and 3~ years security updates are the standard today. Doesn't matter if it's a Samsung flaggship, or an Android-One Device.

Only 2 exceptions so far, as far i know:

1. Pixel lineup from Pixel 2. Google promies 3 whole years all updates. Major and security. Every Pixel from generation 2 will receive 3 Android version updates.

2. Oneplus. Oneplus 3 came out may/june 2016, and it is getting Android 9 in a few weeks - this will be the 3rd Versionupdate, since it launched with Android 6.

Maybe there are other exceptions, but you will pretty much NEVER get 4 years updates.

If you want more than that, buy an iPhone - for example, the iPhone Xr is a very great value (in the iOS World!!).

Don't let the Price scare you, because most people ignore following Facts:

- Resale value remains very high for a much longer period of time. Just check Ebay for how much a 3 year old iPhone goes, and for how much a 3 year old Samsung flaggship.

- You get 5, even 6 years updates. The iPhone 5s came out September 2013, and it still got iOS 12. By the time iOS 13 launches this september, the iPhone 5s had 6 full years the "latest OS" supported.

Chances are, iPhone Xr will be up 2 date untill september 2024 - and even then, 1-2 years after it's no problem to still use it. With slightly worse chances, september 2023. still alot.

Longer updates let you use it longer, and higher resale value lets you lose less money when you sell it, and buy a new one. That counters the high iPhone prices at least to a certain extend.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:29 AM, Darkseth said:

Just a few thoughts...

- What do you exactly expect of a newer update? Security patch won't chance anything you notice. move through the Web with a Brain, and a 2 year old Android version won't catch you any virus, malware or anything.

- Newer Versionupdate: What does that change? When my S7 Edge got updated from 7 to 8... a few Icons changed style, but honestly.. Everything worked just exactly as before. Screenshots were the same, Performance/Battery Life were the same, every setting was at the same Place.

If your 4 year old Note still works great, has enough performance for whatever you do, and enough battery life, there is no reason for it to not be usefull anymore.

Usually, 2 years major updates (2 version updates) and 3~ years security updates are the standard today. Doesn't matter if it's a Samsung flaggship, or an Android-One Device.

Only 2 exceptions so far, as far i know:

1. Pixel lineup from Pixel 2. Google promies 3 whole years all updates. Major and security. Every Pixel from generation 2 will receive 3 Android version updates.

2. Oneplus. Oneplus 3 came out may/june 2016, and it is getting Android 9 in a few weeks - this will be the 3rd Versionupdate, since it launched with Android 6.

Maybe there are other exceptions, but you will pretty much NEVER get 4 years updates.

If you want more than that, buy an iPhone - for example, the iPhone Xr is a very great value (in the iOS World!!).

Don't let the Price scare you, because most people ignore following Facts:

- Resale value remains very high for a much longer period of time. Just check Ebay for how much a 3 year old iPhone goes, and for how much a 3 year old Samsung flaggship.

- You get 5, even 6 years updates. The iPhone 5s came out September 2013, and it still got iOS 12. By the time iOS 13 launches this september, the iPhone 5s had 6 full years the "latest OS" supported.

Chances are, iPhone Xr will be up 2 date untill september 2024 - and even then, 1-2 years after it's no problem to still use it. With slightly worse chances, september 2023. still alot.

Longer updates let you use it longer, and higher resale value lets you lose less money when you sell it, and buy a new one. That counters the high iPhone prices at least to a certain extend.

Largely I'm concerned if there are any security exploits that may make browsing various sites dangerous.  Besides obviously going out of my way to try and install malware isn't something I'm likely to do being very tech/computer savy.  And haven't had any notable adware/malware issues on PC/Android for 10-12+ years

Part of that at least I've attributed to improved security with browsers, how flash/java works now, and much more aggressive malware/virus detection with Windows Defender now days since early days of Windows 7 or Windows Vista.   

I don't really care if the UI changes I'm not looking to get any of that the bigger thing would be knowing that my device is still safe to use for sometimes sensitive things like logging into bank app to check accounts, logging into paypal, etc.

And if I would be putting myself at a great risk having a phone outside of the security updates possibly hitting a land mine of malware/virus just by browsing a website etc.