LTT: I Love Anthony

trevb0t

I agree. Anthony's videos don't feel clickbaity to me - they just feel genuine. He doesn't put on a show - instead, he describes the tech and its uses.

Anthony seems able to find obscure tech that nobody has heard of, but still has it's useful niche. (In short, he does his research)

I'm waiting for the day Anthony (Or somebody else) does NVDimms.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Another agree - good, in-the-weeds techy content. Keep it coming.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Agreed as well

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

No disrespect to the other writers but I do enjoy Anthony videos, also whenever he comes into shot I know its a good video.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I also love Anthony's videos, especially with Linus. For the cool hardcore extreme tech stuff he's definitely the best guy to be working with Linus for it. I do enjoy some of the more meme-y content that Linus does with James (or James does on his own) and it's all really good but Anthony's tech stuff is so good (especially like the new floatplane video that isn't on YouTube yet).

Please more Anthony!!!

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

50 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I also love Anthony's videos, especially with Linus. For the cool hardcore extreme tech stuff he's definitely the best guy to be working with Linus for it. I do enjoy some of the more meme-y content that Linus does with James (or James does on his own) and it's all really good but Anthony's tech stuff is so good (especially like the new floatplane video that isn't on YouTube yet).

Please more Anthony!!!

Agreed, I like all of the dudes! I probably like James best in the build videos, because he's just plain good at it.

(okay... okay there's a couple I struggle with. I won't call anyone out though.)

3 hours ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I'd love more stuff from Anthony aswell.

Same here. Besides knowing his stuff and sharing it without theatrics, he has a pleasant voice.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Same here. Besides knowing his stuff and sharing it without theatrics, he has a pleasant voice.

He does, he presents things nicely as well with thorough explanations. He seems like he knows a lot about a lot, not that Linus or the other guys don't. It's just that Anthony comes across as more helpful, patient, and willing to explain the ins and outs where as Linus comes across more like...

Which I don't think is on purpose, it's just Linus being Linus and that's OK too. I don't dislike anyone in their videos, but I do certainly have some I prefer to watch more than others in differing roles. For technical expertise Anthony is the best.

For the record, I don't dislike any one of Linus' Merry Band. It's the sum of their differences that makes the channel good.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

For the record, I don't dislike any one of Linus' Merry Band. It's the sum of their differences that makes the channel good.

Whole heartedly agree. Everyone is good at something there, some better on camera with certain types of information than others and it's refreshing to see different people in different roles with different presenting styles. It keeps the channel interesting!

This is a pretty surreal thread... I legitimately don't know what to say, I've never been that popular with much of anyone up until now(ish) - Certainly not through school. Thank you? ?

On 3/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, trevb0t said:

And after it fails and Linus is like, "Wait... Did this company NOT include this thing in their thing!?!?!?" Anthony has this smile and nod like, "You're right, and I knew it all along and never told you, because I dug ridiculously deep into this tech way before I wrote this episode. I just wanted to see if you could figure out why it doesn't work."

That's basically how it goes. For those unscripted segments, I spend a bunch of time preparing and then get Linus to try and figure it out on his own. If/when it doesn't work, I take over. I think it's a pretty good dynamic, although sometimes I worry that it comes off as patronizing.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Imbellis said:

I'm waiting for the day Anthony (Or somebody else) does NVDimms.

I am so on that whenever we get our hands on some. NVDIMMs are super interesting to me, and the sample script I actually sent in with my job application was a Techquickie style video on universal memory - Things like MRAM, FRAM, Optane/3DXpoint, etc, and how we've kind of come full circle since using SRAM with a battery backup.

I recall Linus mentioning in the phone interview "that's showing your age", but we're actually the same age. I'm just a giant geek.

13 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

@GabenJr Could you fire Colton?

I'm not sure if I outrank Colton. We writers answer to Linus directly, so the hierarchy is a little fuzzy. I definitely have seniority over him though - He gets fired so often, he's basically always a new hire. :D

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

He does, he presents things nicely as well with thorough explanations. He seems like he knows a lot about a lot, not that Linus or the other guys don't. It's just that Anthony comes across as more helpful, patient, and willing to explain the ins and outs where as Linus comes across more like...

Which I don't think is on purpose, it's just Linus being Linus and that's OK too. I don't dislike anyone in their videos, but I do certainly have some I prefer to watch more than others in differing roles. For technical expertise Anthony is the best.

I mean, I know a lot, yeah, but it's mostly random and I feel like I've forgotten a lot more. Most of the time, it's all about the research - Sometimes it's stuff I read in my spare time, other times it's stuff I'm researching directly for the video. I'm certainly no Steve Burke or Wendell, although it's good to have people to look up to as a role model - Kind of like an "I want to get there too" goalpost.

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This exactly. We all have our strong points and that's what's carried us forward from the 3.6 million subs we had when us writers started to the over 8.3 million today, although it's still surreal to me that I've been a part of that. One major weakness I have is in liquid loops - It's not something I ran into very often during my time in PC sales and repair in the mid 2000s - early 2010s. That's where Jake and Alex shine.

Come to think of it, I don't think Linus has written an actual video in a while... Sure, he's got projects (like 6 editors), but most of the time that's vloggy stuff, not scripted or otherwise guided. He used to do all the phone reviews, but that's since been handed off to us, now, too.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

As someone else who was never popular I know compliments are hard to take without skepticism, but while I can't speak for others, I do genuinely appreciate your participation on these forums and your work in the videos. The back and forth doesn't come off as patronizing or smug, I think it helps move the video along in a good way. It shows two different approaches, the 'just dive in head first' and the 'thoroughly researched' approach. Both are valid, both work and get results, both are entertaining to see. Thank you for what you do.

Liquid cooling is fun, I think you should build a few loops and experiment and see what works and doesn't work. I'm actually getting back into it now after a decade with a very old school Koolance case and gold plated waterblock (bling bling). I'll make a build thread when my $30 Xeon comes in and tag you in it so you can revel in the nostolgia as well. I'll try to take plenty of photos of the process of getting something from 20 years ago which hasn't had coolant changed in probably 10 years working and running again.

Big fan of Anthony as well!

Would like to see a colab with him and Wendell from L1 sometime in the future, i feel like they could come up with some really cool ideas together.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 3/10/2019 at 11:40 PM, campy said:

I can't remember if it was Anthony who was specifically interested in weird old stuff. I think it was mentioned a few times.

Anthony + Ivan talk about post win95 era hardware when?

Send LGR on a run for his money 

Ivan is another that I love to see, and just don't see enough of.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, GabenJr said:

That's basically how it goes. For those unscripted segments, I spend a bunch of time preparing and then get Linus to try and figure it out on his own. If/when it doesn't work, I take over. I think it's a pretty good dynamic, although sometimes I worry that it comes off as patronizing.

I think if it were someone less savy than this crew it could be misconstrued as such, but since you're mostly just laughing WITH Linus in those moments, it definitely doesn't. You're like a good straight man in a comedy show! (Which also requires you to be funny, just not as in your face about it.)

17 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Ivan is another that I love to see, and just don't see enough of.

@Ivan M

I personally really liked their segment when comparing PC SI's against eachother in an otherwise blind study. However it appears Ivan has quietly left LMG, given he no longer has an LMG title. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

@Ivan M

I personally really liked their segment when comparing PC SI's against eachother in an otherwise blind study. However it appears Ivan has quietly left LMG, given he no longer has an LMG title. 

1. Do you happen to remember the name of the video / segment? (Sometimes I find the massive number of videos difficult to navigate on youtube's limited interface.)

2. If that's true, I hope Ivan is doing well in whatever he's doing!

3 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

1. Do you happen to remember the name of the video / segment? (Sometimes I find the massive number of videos difficult to navigate on youtube's limited interface.)

2. If that's true, I hope Ivan is doing well in whatever he's doing!

It was their Secret Shopper Series they did right before the new Year

Spoiler

Specifically Episode 3 was a great showcase of journalism and how some SI  integrators are excellent, while others require better Customer Support Training.

Linus confirmed it in this thread

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Anthony is good, yo. Linus & him got a good dynamic going on, always love those videos.

(then again, I love all LTT videos)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.