The Forum's State of Decay.

miyabwah

Yes, as of late, the forum has become a little more hostile.  Unfortunately, there will always be assholes.  The important thing though is to try to ignore those people and focus on what you find useful about this place.  I've been around for about as long as the forum has existed.  I just haven't posted as much as I would like to.  I'm actually part of many different forums, so that does play a role in that I suppose.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

well i joined around august and the main difference i see are more heated discussions and random threads (though my first topic was the ban game :P ) anyways i also hardly post and 3/4 are in off topic so the count doesn't do it justice (yes i understand why) though i dunno about the situation in the hardware subforum since i have gone like once or twice to it mainly because i'm set whit my current hardware for a long time to and i know that people can give way better advises that myself, i guess that where most the OP is taking are there considering linus rant on that sound card topic but other non the less the forum isn't no where near being bad i still think this place is WAY better that other, maybe most of these can be solved by adding 3 or 4 mods that are most active during times the current crew isn't anyways those are my 2 cents about this 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

did you intentionally quote the game or something

ah nvm, anyways we just have too many people that post based on Linus's recommendations without and ground or backing as to why it is. I'm kinda sick of the blind recommendations we get without sincerity

I'm actively part of 3 forums including this one but I haven't been here for long. Do you guys think I'm part of the problem?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

That's what happens when a forum gets as big as LTT. I liked it better when there weren't as many people and it was like a club, but now it's hard to call it that with 48k members.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I think there's only so many times you can answer 7970 vs 680 or 290x vs 780 without it getting boring.

I don't think the forum is decaying, There isn't too much more to talk about tech wise, after a while you've already talked about every GPU, CPU, motherboard and sound card known to man kind.

I think it will probably get better over time with new stuff coming out this summer and people think of more off topic stuff to talk about.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I think there's only so many times you can answer 7970 vs 680 or 290x vs 780 without it getting boring.

I don't think the forum is decaying, There isn't too much more to talk about tech wise, after a while you've already talked about every GPU, CPU, motherboard and sound card known to man kind.

I think it will probably get better over time with new stuff coming out this summer and people think of more off topic stuff to talk about.

Wait until the Maxwell card come out. More can my system run this, bottleneck, OMG IT'S HERE stuff. Sounds dumb, but I can't wait.

EDIT: It will finally mix things up, in a good way.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wait until the Maxwell card come out. More can my system run this, bottleneck, OMG IT'S HERE stuff. Sounds dumb, but I can't wait.

There's a lot of stupid stuff being posted too just so someone will "like" their comment. "Likes" should be reserved for true, meaningful and helpful posts.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

We need better sticky sections.

If we had that I'd be inclined to produce some OC (i,e, pricing guides, common recommendations, hierarchies.) 

Error: 410

There's a lot of stupid stuff being posted too just so someone will "like" their comment.

I can be convicted of that. Sorry. :( Not near as stupid as some of them though. Oh my.

We need better sticky sections.

If we had that I'd be inclined to produce some OC (i,e, pricing guides, common recommendations, hierarchies.) 

And some kind of automatic badges (for news and so on). But make them tough to "hack" to get them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mind you, I've seen multiple versions of this thread ever since they switched from the old boards to these ones back in whenever, I can't remember.

So it's not just the influx of new members, it's just people get passionate about their topics, and that passion gets interpreted as hatred for another opinion, it's hard to interpret an emotion, and someone's point of view from a blank wall of text.

Remember people, you can always back away from the forum for a few hours, it's not about winning or losing, it's just about technology. There might be a few people out there that get kicks from "winning" an argument, but at the end of the day, it's the internet. 

#!

On a sidenote:

GAME OF THRONES SEASON 4 TRAILER JUST GOT RELEASED.

I can kind of see what you're getting at. However I've only been active since around the end of summer, so I guess I can't say all that much. I agree with most everyone here that it's probably just a surge of new users.

One thing that I do think that this forum needs, though, is a new forum/subforum for user created content. As in you can share your own videos, images, music, ect. that you created. I think that would be pretty cool, and would give many users something more to do.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I agree that the forum is a bit stale atm but in the last weeks we had holidays so people my be still dealing with the after effect then we just had CES 2014 and the bombardment from it all (not just from Linus), just trying to keep up with the video's has been changing for some of us.

Hopefully everything will go back to normal in the new few day's and we see people back on here for some good posts to respond too.

Cry Havoc!

I have the solution.

Linus needs to throw a huge party with a free bar.

The assholes would quickly show themselves up and we could kick them off the forum.

We could have some bands playing, a DJ, some finger food, magicians and cute animals to pet.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I think we are right for the most part in that with more members come more trolls and less of the "OG"s remain. However another thing that I do not think is helping is the stagnation of the older community. People always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be. I am sure LTT in it's prime was better than it was now but that does not mean you just lose hope and complain about how the forum sucks now.

I won't call anyone out (I am not talking about making threads like this just the people who are really negative all the time) but complaining about how the forum sucks now is just as bad for the forum as the flamers and trolls. If you really want to show how much better the forum was back then you need to do all that you can to make the forum a better place. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Since I'm on my phone I'm not going to write a long post.

I can see this forum quickly degrading. It went from being a friendly community full of nice people, to being in this state. Not sayings it is full of noobs, but it is a lot less friendly here.

I can say that I've been part of the forum for the last year and i have seen it have it's ups and downs. I do agree that having 50,000 members being moderated with 8 people is not that great and I've been on at times when there were no mods and people like to start shit for no reason. But the biggest problem that I see on this forum is the "hit it and quit it" users. A lot (not all) of the new members just made an account to ask one question where they can google it and get a quicker answer. Hopefully management use those helper badges soon because they need help.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

You read that title, you clicked this topic, and you read/didn't read the OP. And then you replied to the topic. IMO, each day I'm on this forum, it just keeps getting more boring than the day before. Sure, the forum's growing, but with a growing forum, there's also going to be more A-holes and trolls. Not going to call out any certain members because that would just cause trouble. My point is this forum is just getting boring and dull. Back when certain users were around, the forum was alive and filled and full with energy. Everybody used to be sincere and now it's kinda dying off. This used to be the most Canadian (nice) forum I ever laid my eyes on and now it's becoming like other tech forums. Post your opinions here.

I like the idea of instead of saying nice we can just say "Canadian". I actually have nothing to contribute to the post, just saying I like that idea.

Here's my $0.02 on this.

Every forum, and website too, has a moment where things seem bad, but they are not. It's the same with members. Each site has a small group of members that always cause trouble, and that makes the rest of the forums look bad to. Just report any problems that you see, including people, and make the best out of the forum.

It's what you make it. If you see it filled with idiots, thats all your going to get out of it. You get what you put into it.

There's too much drama, it's an online forum. Don't make too big a deal out of it.

I have to make a big deal of it. This place is my life. I have people that actually have something in common with me. I have nsyedhasan, TheDoubleYGamer, and a whole lot more friends here than I do in real life. What other 12 year olds spend their time on a forum watching people completely shitpost and be assholes to each other. I'm not saying this is all the time, but certain trolls want to ruin it for the people that actually WANT to have a friendly, safe, and caring community. That's why we need more mods like WindSpeed, and MG2R.

As a non Canadian, American barbarian who's breached the gates, I will try to post more out there posts.  Clearly my posts have been too mundane and boring.

planetfargo-barbarians-at-the-gates-2005

It might be an age thing too, I am pretty immature when I come to off topic forums for my age (it's about the main time I get more license to be that way), but maybe some people prefer content like that old youtuber Fred (shudders in horror).  That's light years beyond anything I would ever do.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Been here almost since day one of the forum I believe. Seen it from the start through all the early day issues and stuff. I agree it has degraded to the point where I use it to see who is having an argument with who rather than technology. 

That's what happens when something becomes more and more mainstream. It isn't a bad thing but it certainly noticeable.