The Xbox One S is bullshit.

ErykYT3

So I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on the One S lately and whilst the quality of the game did look unusual to me, I shrugged it off as this is a pretty hefty game for the console to handle.

That was only until I found out that it was running in like 864p

I mean.. Why is there even a "console war" at this point?

Disclaimer: I am aware of other factors that go towards determining how each console performs. But for me, Its a no-brainer.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

...what? can't it handle 4K in some games? 

It suppose to be able to handle 4k, but really that's just in specific tests and benchmarks. THe only console capable of acutally hitting 4k in a game is the Xbox One X, but that has a larger price tag to reflect the difference.

Just now, firelighter487 said:

...what? can't it handle 4K in some games? 

By upscaling, yes. 

Not natively.

I mean, from seeing how the game performs on the One S, It's no wonder that they came out with the X.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

It suppose to be able to handle 4k, but really that's just in specific tests and benchmarks. THe only console capable of acutally hitting 4k in a game is the Xbox One X, but that has a larger price tag to reflect the difference.

Right, I think it's really shady of them to do that.

(running at lower resolution). 

I can't even find that much about this being a thing online at the moment either.

Just now, RAM555789 said:

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

By upscaling, yes. 

Not natively.

I mean, from seeing how the game performs on the One S, It's no wonder that they came out with the X.

i'm stupid. i thought there was the One and the One S. i completely forgot about the X lol.

She/Her

33 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It's the weakest regular console (the Switch is in a slightly different category), so it's really all you can expect. Even the Xbox One X cannot do 4K in demanding games.

Yep, of course right from the start I knew that the 4K60FPS on the X which they were using to advertise it would not be true for everything.

I knew to an extent that the ps4 was better in performance than its rival Xbox. 

But the fact that it has to downscale the resolution really doesn't help its case lol.

I'm not sure why you'd be surprised that a five year old console which bundled with 3 games costs about as much as a 1050Ti can't run games at 4K. Seems pretty obvious to me. Anyways, I'm currently seriously considering getting one when I upgrade to a 4K TV because it's an insanely good value console for what it does. Quite literally my options for getting UHD/HDR content on this new TV would be:

- Upgrade my PC and drag it into the other room, ~$400AU to spend here and I don't get UHD BluRay playback

- Get a UHD BluRay player for ~$240 without Dolby Vision, $280AU for one with DV

- Get an XBOne S bundled with download codes for Forza, Rainbow Six, Fallout 76 and Gears of War 4 for ~$300AU

Really, the XBOne S seems like a pretty easy sell if you're just wanting to get UHD/HDR content on your new TV. Not bullshit at all.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Microsoft stupidly sacrificed gpu power to shoe in Kinect on to the XBone. I don't know what they were thinking since everyone was already sick of the Wii by about 2011.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It's the weakest regular console (the Switch is in a slightly different category), so it's really all you can expect. Even the Xbox One X cannot do 4K in demanding games.

but but but the XBox Fans always tell us that the One X can do native 4K in every game and that it is soooo much more powerful than the PS4 PRO....

3 hours ago, ErykYT3 said:

So I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on the One S lately and whilst the quality of the game did look unusual to me, I shrugged it off as this is a pretty hefty game for the console to handle.

That was only until I found out that it was running in like 864p

I mean.. Why is there even a "console war" at this point?

Because there are still people out there that claim that the XBox is a great plattform, although they  don't support any kind of movement controls (Sony introduced that with PS3, Nintendo with the Wii and continued with the WiiU and Switch as well)...

And there are no games on the XBox!

The ones that are, are either on PS4 or PC...

So at this point its becoming a bit useless...

3 hours ago, ErykYT3 said:

Disclaimer: I am aware of other factors that go towards determining how each console performs. But for me, Its a no-brainer.

Yes,there is one really important measure that the XBox Fans always miss:

By how much does that system increase the games I want to play.

For XBox that's essentially Halo Master Chief Collection and Rare Replay (mostly 360 games though). And that's it.

Nintendo Switch doesn't look too great if you already own a WiiU as many games are also available on the WiiU as well (Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and so on). BUT: If you don't own a WiiU its worth it.

And the PS4 we don't need to talk about that. This year a couple of the best games this generation were released exclusively for PS4...

The hardware isn't really that important, just look at last gen PS3 and WiiU, both have not the best hardware but still some rather good games...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

@SteveGrabowski0
Honestly, I don't really care what the games are that much and the only one I'm even remotely interested in is Forza. The main point was that I'm looking at getting a UHD BluRay player and it's $300AU for a console which has a UHD BluRay player bundled with some games or $240AU for a UHD BluRay player. The XBOne is pretty compelling.

Anyways, there are 5 bundles at around $300AU, I didn't see any reason to bore this thread with the details but since you mentioned it...
- XBone S + Overwatch + Forza + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Rainbow Six + Fallout 76 + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Halo 5 + Gears of War 4 + Some Fortnight credit @ $299AU
- XBone S + Forza + Rainbow Six + Fallout 76 + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Gears of War 4 @ $279AU

If I was to buy it I'd get one of the bundles with Forza given it's the only game I have any interest in playing on it. Since I have Overwatch on PC and have zero interest in paying for online on the XBOne or playing a competitive shooters with a controller? I'd go with the one with Fallout 76. Simple choice and even if I don't care for any of these games it's still not a bad deal. The only thing I'm trying to work out is if I don't even bother with the "gaming" side of it, stick with my Switch + Steam Link as the "consoles" hooked upto my TV, pocket the ~$60AU and get a regular UHD BluRay player.

7 minutes ago, skywake said:

@SteveGrabowski0
Honestly, I don't really care what the games are that much and the only one I'm even remotely interested in is Forza. The main point was that I'm looking at getting a UHD BluRay player and it's $300AU for a console which has a UHD BluRay player bundled with some games or $240AU for a UHD BluRay player. The XBOne is pretty compelling.

Anyways, there are 5 bundles at around $300AU, I didn't see any reason to bore this thread with the details but since you mentioned it...
- XBone S + Overwatch + Forza + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Rainbow Six + Fallout 76 + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Halo 5 + Gears of War 4 + Some Fortnight credit @ $299AU
- XBone S + Forza + Rainbow Six + Fallout 76 + Gears of War 4 @ $299AU
- XBone S + Gears of War 4 @ $279AU

If I was to buy it I'd get one of the bundles with Forza given it's the only game I have any interest in playing on it. Since I have Overwatch on PC and have zero interest in paying for online on the XBOne or playing a competitive shooters with a controller? I'd go with the one with Fallout 76. Simple choice and even if I don't care for any of these games it's still not a bad deal. The only thing I'm trying to work out is if I don't even bother with the "gaming" side of it, stick with my Switch + Steam Link as the "consoles" hooked upto my TV, pocket the ~$60AU and get a regular UHD BluRay player.

The Forza games are pretty impressive and run great. I'd probably get an XBone if you're into them vs streaming from your PC. Unless Steam Link is a really impressive streaming box. I wasn't impressed using Parsec to Stream to my Raspberry Pi even over wired connections, as any kind of postprocessing killed the framerate. Maybe Steam Link is better though?

This feels like a misunderstanding of what the Xbox One S was meant to be.

Yeah, it's technically more capable than the original Xbox One, but it was always intended as a straightforward replacement aimed at the low end (relatively speaking) rather than a major upgrade.  It's the system you get when Junior wants a console for Minecraft, or when the only 4K you care about is on Netflix.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The Forza games are pretty impressive and run great. I'd probably get an XBone if you're into them 

Ähm, you can run them without problem on PC, well Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are on PC.

All you need is a Windows 10 PC...

And FOrza Horizon 2 isn't really available no more because of Music Rights...

So no DLC for you!

22 hours ago, ErykYT3 said:

Right, I think it's really shady of them to do that.

(running at lower resolution). 

I can't even find that much about this being a thing online at the moment either.

I don't remember ever hearing MS claim that the S could play games in native 4k. Are you sure you aren't just recalling people on the interwebs talking about how it could "technically" play 4k games?

The only thing I ever recall MS claiming the S could do in native 4k was 4k video through either Blu-ray or streaming.

I honestly don't know what you were expecting or what you are even complaining about. 864p isn't terribly far off from 1080p which is obviously the best you could hope for on the S. The PS4 base manages 1080p but it is a more powerful system. I mean, this kind of stuff was what we knew we were getting into when the One and PS4 first came out like five years ago. There is a reason MS and Sony refreshed their systems during the current gen.

If you expect better, than buy an X. That is just where we are in the console life cycle at this point.

I suggest checking out Digital Foundry. They go over the various console versions of games and it is quite an interesting watch. 

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ähm, you can run them without problem on PC, well Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are on PC.

All you need is a Windows 10 PC...

And FOrza Horizon 2 isn't really available no more because of Music Rights...

So no DLC for you!

He said over Steam Link though. If it has as many shortcomings as Parsec does I'd rather play it on an XBone since he wants to play it on his TV. Though I just run a long HDMI cable and use my gaming TV as a second monitor.

Rendering at one res then scaling up has been a pretty common practice for a while.  Many ps3 and 360 games were rendered at 720p then upscaled to 1080p.

Looking at the lower tier versions of xbox and ps4, the ps4 was more powerful thus more games were rendered at 1080p or closer to it than the xbox.

But for the upgraded versions of the console, the Xbox one X is more powerful thus more games being rendered at native 4k.

But as mentioned above, check digital foundary as they have very good comparison videos that breakdown the graphics and performance many games on different platforms.

8 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Unless Steam Link is a really impressive streaming box. I wasn't impressed using Parsec to Stream to my Raspberry Pi even over wired connections, as any kind of postprocessing killed the framerate. Maybe Steam Link is better though?

I have a wired connection to every room in the house so it runs fairly well. Because it's compressed a bit the image isn't perfect, colour especially, but I've never had issues with framerate. But TBH if I had to pick between a game running on my PC and the Switch port? I'd almost always pick the Switch port. The image is that much better over HDMI.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And as I said, I'm getting a new TV and am going to be paying $240AU for a UHD BluRay player one way or another. It's $60AU extra to get the XBOne instead and the bundled game, Forza Horizon 4, is $64AU on the Microsoft store. Plus these games are cross-buy AFAIK so I get the copy on my PC either way. Really, if I want Forza getting an XBOne is the way to do it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 runs at 1536x864 on the Xbox One and the Xbox One S.

I have a feeling that you don't understand why the One S exists: as a replacement for the base model and not the high end console. It's like the PS4 Slim replacing the PS4 and the PS4 Pro being the high-end version of the PS4. The One X does a really good job at holding, from what I remember, 3840x2160 on RDR2.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, skywake said:

And as I said, I'm getting a new TV and am going to be paying $240AU for a UHD BluRay player one way or another. It's $60AU extra to get the XBOne instead and the bundled game, Forza Horizon 4, is $64AU on the Microsoft store. Plus these games are cross-buy AFAIK so I get the copy on my PC either way. Really, if I want Forza getting an XBOne is the way to do it.

I just got a 4k tv and I'm looking at getting a uhd bluray player for it.  I figure why not be able to play some RDR2 at 4k in the process.

6 hours ago, skywake said:

Get the UHD BD Player and look at the Games. And get a Console to play games.

Forza Horizon 4 plays better on PC. 30fps for a racing game is not that great.

And the 60fps mode is IIRC only available on XBox one X. 

I have an XBox One X and am not too happy with it as there are no interesting games on that plattform...

So get the UHD BD Player. A good one should be able to be controlled by your TV Remote...

The thing to play your media stuff with is IIRC the "Videos and TV" app you know from Windows 10...

And both Media Player have Problems with subtitles from time to time. One doesn't support custom fonts, the other one doesn't display some Subtitles for whatever reason...

And Accessing Network Shares is also a pain with both consoles...

No really, for Playing Media Stuff I'd get a Media Player. Because that's what they are best at and made for. For the Consoles that's just an extra and they are both not very good at it...

4 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

I just got a 4k tv and I'm looking at getting a uhd bluray player for it.  I figure why not be able to play some RDR2 at 4k in the process.

Dude, he's talking about the Xbox One S NOT Xbox One X

There ain't no 4K gaming on the S, not even 1080p in many cases...

You're talking about "Performance of the Hardware" all the time, but right now you ignore it when its about the One S??

And RDR2 will be available on PC soon anyway!

So there is really no reason for him to get an XBox.

You still don't want to understand that a console is just a box to play games and the games are what makes the console!

So with the XBox One, he only has Rare Replay and The Halo Master Chief Collection to play that he couldn't before.

The Games he wants (Forza Horizon), he could also do on PC.

For example Forza Horizon 4 is at the moment discounted for 45€ or so, Forza Horizon 3 is 40€ (though its said it has Problems on PC).

Gears of War 4 is 10€ right now.

Forza Motorsport 7 (Standard) is 25€ right now.

And then there is this:
https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP9000-CUSA11993_00-0000000000MSMDLX

https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP9000-CUSA07410_00-00000000GODOFWAR

https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4062-CUSA06638_00-PERSONA5ULTIMATE

https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP9000-CUSA10211_00-HRZCE00000000000

Not available on XBox, only PC, Playstation and Nintendo (3DS + Switch)
https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP0082-CUSA08518_00-DQXIDIGEDITIONOL

Switch also has some nice Games like Super Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveller, the best WiiU Games (Breath of the Wild...)...

Sorry, but right now there is no reason for the XBox...

But he doesn't really want a console it seems, only a Media Playing device. Thus I'd recommend the thing he really wants.

Because that is what he will be most happy with!

I stated earlier that I know differences between the systems.  The first gen Xbox One (or S) was weaker but the upgraded One X is more Powerful.  Where did I ignore the S?  I stated that I would like to get some 4k gaming out of my UHD bluray player, thus I might look at getting the Xbox One X.  

The S looks like a good option for him, he gets his UHD bluray player and Forza along with it.  He can still play it on PC if he wishes or on his Xbox, maybe his Xbox will be setup in a different room from his PC thus giving him two places to play the same game (like I have been doing)