OP PC's and how they are NOT a scam.

UnwantedLinks

Why the hell is everyone ranting about Walmart's new line of OP PC's? They aren't a scam at all? It's just error by people who work at the warehouse. Obviously you'd expect that they would make a mistake. Who wouldn't make a mistake working at a large-ass 34,000 SQ FT Warehouse? With almost 400 Thousand loads and items in stock? People the the Gamer's Nexus are just making a big-ass rant on how they "scammed" the people who bought it, and yes, the Anti-OP-PC Community thinks that Walmart treats their employees like a slave. I mean. It's not supposed to be a PC bought by an enthusiast. It's pretty much a birthday gift for a kid who got all A's on their report cards. Also, all the employee's are instructed to just build a PC. A company probably gave them some booklet guides on how to do it. The assemblers aren't some PC enthusiast who's a Jedi Master at assembling PC's. They are just simply people with a secondary job because they are in University/College. Or they are in their early 30's to late 50's. That's all. 

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

Bit c'mon. Can they at least make a case that doesn't restrict airflow to the point of 40 degrees delta? Or plug in the cables right? Or get a decent psu? 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's this scam people talk about?

I'm being lazy because I don't really want to dig into that quagmire.

Seems like some people are just finding out that pre-builds are worse than DIY, don't bother.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

Why the hell is everyone ranting about Walmart's new line of OP PC's? They aren't a scam at all? It's just error by people who work at the warehouse. Obviously you'd expect that they would make a mistake. Who wouldn't make a mistake working at a large-ass 34,000 SQ FT Warehouse? With almost 400 Thousand loads and items in stock? People the the Gamer's Nexus are just making a big-ass rant on how they "scammed" the people who bought it, and yes, the Anti-OP-PC Community thinks that Walmart treats their employees like a slave. I mean. It's not supposed to be a PC bought by an enthusiast. It's pretty much a birthday gift for a kid who got all A's on their report cards. Also, all the employee's are instructed to just build a PC. A company probably gave them some booklet guides on how to do it. The assemblers aren't some PC enthusiast who's a Jedi Master at assembling PC's. They are just simply people with a secondary job because they are in University/College. Or they are in their early 30's to late 50's. That's all. 

Yes, exactly. This is a computer bought by someone to give to a kid who got straight As. A kid who probably knows nothing about computers, and wouldn't know to plug the PCIe cable to the graphics card. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's this scam people talk about?

I'm being lazy because I don't really want to dig into that quagmire.

Pretty much, long story short; Walmart employee's are giving people 1.3K builds but they have paid 2K

or opposite 

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

Bit c'mon. Can they at least make a case that doesn't restrict airflow to the point of 40 degrees delta? Or plug in the cables right? Or get a decent psu? 

The PSU IS decent, as tested by gamer's nexus. Nothing a serious enthusiast would use, but it's not "burn your house down" terrible. 

However, the front case thing is shitty. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Yes, exactly. This is a computer bought by someone to give to a kid who got straight As. A kid who probably knows nothing about computers, and wouldn't know to plug the PCIe cable to the graphics card. 

I mean, here's the thing. These assemblers aren't trained with like PROPER knowledge, they just get given a book on how to build a PC. That's all. And they build it. No funky shit or all that.

Main

Just now, 6thOntheLeft said:

I mean, here's the thing. These assemblers aren't trained with like PROPER knowledge, they just get given a book on how to build a PC. That's all. And they build it. No funky shit or all that.

Ignorance is no excuse. Selling a non-working product is a scam. ESPECIALLY when it costs upwards of 2 grand. 

2 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

You wouldn't expect a person in it's late 40's to know what that cord near your GPU is for.

Main

15 hours ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

Pushing in a cable until it clicks isn't rocket science though is it. It shows shoddy build quality and could lead to many peoples pcs not working. Leading them to just get a console and become a peasant. 

You wouldn't expect a person in it's late 40's to know what that cord near your GPU is for.

You would expect them to be able to understand the words. Plug on cable till it clicks though... 

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Ignorance is no excuse. Selling a non-working product is a scam. ESPECIALLY when it costs upwards of 2 grand. 

It can't be a scam. It's being sold by a multi-billion dollar company. What you expect Elon Musk to scam you just cause your Tesla control center screen is yellow-ish?

Main

1 minute ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

You must be young. Those 40 year olds invented the computer you're typing on now. Working with computers was SO much harder back then. Today it's comparatively easy. 

15 hours ago, Joelsome said:

You would expect them to be able to understand the words. Plug on cable till it clicks though... 

They MUST have resolved the issue, especially with the outburst.

15 hours ago, corrado33 said:

You must be young. Those 40 year olds invented the computer you're typing on now. Working with computers was SO much harder back then. Today it's comparatively easy. 

So you're saying, they invented the motherboard?
Psst 1940's invented the motherboard that we are used to

aka gigantic batteries soldiered to some connectors

Pushing in a cable until it clicks isn't rocket science though is it. It shows shoddy build quality and could lead to many peoples pcs not working. Leading them to just get a console and become a peasant. 

just call the department and they might instruct you

Main

So you're saying, they invented the motherboard?
Psst 1940's invented the motherboard that we are used to

aka gigantic batteries soldiered to some connectors

No, they invented the computer. What corrado is saying is that the 40 and 50 year olds invented the modern computer outer. The pcb. The microchip. The transistor. They moved away from valves and big bulkey wax capacitors. They made the operating system you are using now, they display you are reading this on, they keyboard I am typing on now uses membrane switxhes, invented in I think the 80s? Correct me if Im wrong on that. The first computational device was made in the 1800s. So your history needs a bit of brushing up on... 

just call the department and they might instruct you

To do what? Get a refund? Send it back? I agree it isn't a scam, but it is a greedy money whore way to go about it and is not acceptable to charge 2gs for a pc that isn't even assembled correctly

Scam

/skam/

noun

informal

noun: scam; plural noun: scams

a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

They are willingly and knowingly charging way more for those PCs than they are worth. yes, you have to factor in labor for the people that build them but the massive markup cannot be accounted for in any rational way

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Seems like some people are just finding out that pre-builds are worse than DIY, don't bother.

These pre-builts specifically...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

No, they invented the computer. What corrado is saying is that the 40 and 50 year olds invented the modern computer outer. The pcb. The microchip. The transistor. They moved away from valves and big bulkey wax capacitors. They made the operating system you are using now, they display you are reading this on, they keyboard I am typing on now uses membrane switxhes, invented in I think the 80s? Correct me if Im wrong on that. The first computational device was made in the 1800s. So your history needs a bit of brushing up on... 

More of a modern guy. Don't like 1930s-1970s hardware. I only like early/late 1983-2000 hardware.

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

-snip-

Labor + Windows 10 + Tariffs and Taxes.

Oh! and Import fee's.

Main

Windows 10 can be had for 10 quid. Labour is cheap because it is Walmart. Taxes are proportionate to the profit. And where are they importing them to? 

They sell their PC's on Amazon, right? And who uses Amazon? Pretty much everyone in the world. (Excluding the ones who are in poverty).

Including, North America, Europe, Asia, Brazil and others.

And ALL of them have different regulations for importing things into the country.

Main

The issue is for the money you can spend on one of these computers you can do far better and have something better to boot.

And this isnt just from a self builder enthusiast perspective but also a value perspective and a overall quality perspective.

Obviously not everyone has the skills to build a computer so if one goes out to a store to just buy one a unaware buyer may get one of these without knowing the parts or how they are constructed.

The Overpowered OTP3 certainly looks like a deal when you consider it comes with a GTX 1080, Intel i7 8700, 32gigs of ram, a 512 GB SSD and a 2Tb platter drive all for the price of $1,699.00

However if you consider all the potential quality control concerns one may be more better off with even an Alienware Aurora desktop paired with a 1070 for around the same price point and while this isnt an ideal choice at least you are dealing more directly with a company.

Sure dell isnt the best but it would still be a step up from a walmart returns center.

Or for $100 more one can go to cyberpowerPC right now and order this thing:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Holiday-2018

Within the same price range and would ber miles better then the Overpowered.

Heck even if there wasnt a holiday sale there are some fantastic options from ibuypower, cyberpowerpc and even Maingear,

Dont just look at the GPU as the selling point, when the machine lacks any real backbone and has zero to no real quality well its not exactly money well spent.

1 minute ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

They sell their PC's on Amazon, right? And who uses Amazon? Pretty much everyone in the world. (Excluding the ones who are in poverty).

Including, North America, Europe, Asia, Brazil and others.

So people over here in England pay more, people in the US pay nought extra. Sounds fine to me. Unless they just rip everybody off equally. I don't call it a scam. I call it a rip off and scummy business practice. 

But at most times. Walmart is the nearest place out of all the things you mentioned. For example, Dell is located in a REALLY industrial area compared to Walmart, located near your nearest Plaza.

Main

$2k for a low end motherboard, with a low end CPU cooler, low end RAM, a low end GPU (yes, there are different levels of quality in GPUs, even at 1070s), and a dirt cheap PSU.

You could build a PC for significantly less with the same hardware, minus the PSU cause you probably can't find those Great Wall units anywhere. 

And then you get the wrong unit. You spent $2k and got a PC "worth" $1.5K. What's up with that? Amazon rarely makes mistakes, and look at how big their business is. I'd expect a company like Walmart to at LEAST get my order right. 

But on top of getting the wrong thing you paid for, it doesn't even work. These PCs are for people who don't even know what the difference between an SSD and an HDD is; so when you have a PCIe cable not plugged in, their world ends. It's not hard to plug it in, but these people would have trouble getting the side panel off, let alone trying to figure out which cable it is, where it goes, and how to plug it in. 

You also have stupid things, like glueing the USB 3 header in place. You don't get USB 3.0 on the front panel; $400 laptops have USB 3.0, why can't a $2k "gaming" desktop have them? Why is the USB C port even included? Do they expect their buyers to even know what that port is called, let alone know what they can use it for? And why put it in the back, why not on the FRONT? And the gap for airflow on the front fans is almost non-existent, what "engineer" designed this? You can get better cases for $20. 

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Selling a product for grossly more value than a similar product isn't what I'd call a scam. Otherwise you could argue every system builder is scamming you.

Bethesda promising canvas bags but sent people nylon bags is a scam.