OP PC's and how they are NOT a scam.

UnwantedLinks
1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

Prebuilts have a place of course they do. These Prebuilts done right and at 2/3rds of the price have a place. If they fix the problems. Don't cheap out of the PSU. Don't cheap out on the mobo... And let her breathe! 

PSU doesn't matter for consumers, the only thing that matters is if the computer works. I can place a bargain PSU in my editing rig/gaming rig and it will work, obviously, I won't do that but you get it. Great Wall is a decent manufacturer and yes, they do have a place in the industry. Sure their hardware components might have cut-corners or they might not look good, but atleast they work for the time being.  

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

PC hardware has never been immune to the same outrage culture/negative news cycle that effects everything else.

Add that to PC elitism and voila

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

Why the hell is everyone ranting about Walmart's new line of OP PC's?

Because its the "look at me" age, its just the way it is. If there is nothing to whine and moan about what would everyone do?

Mosy on over to Faceplant and sniff it all in. Pictures of what people eat for supper, then pics of them in the bathroom. There's one lady that does that. Everyday 10 things. Odd. I log in 4 times a year, and I laugh at them all, then I log off within 1 mintue because I gag.

They GLUED the USB header into place and more than one major reviewer had the pcie cable not even latched onto the graphics card. How can you defend this as anything other than shoddy?

This is aimed at non enthusiasts, but little Jimmy getting A's isn't a valid excuse to scam a customer out of a working computer. This could have been avoided if QC was just step above donkey.

The most valuable thing a person has is time and these shoddy builds are robbing that. Okay specs for the price don't mean much when you have to troubleshoot out of the box.

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

They GLUED the USB header into place and more than one major reviewer had the pcie cable not even latched onto the graphics card. How can you defend this as anything other than shoddy?

This is aimed at non enthusiasts, but little Jimmy getting A's isn't a valid excuse to scam a customer out of a working computer. This could have been avoided if QC was just step above donkey.

The most valuable thing a person has is time and these shoddy builds are robbing that. Okay specs for the price don't mean much when you have to troubleshoot out of the box.

It's not a scam unless it works and the consumer got what they paid for, a glued USB header is a minor retarded instruction but nonetheless, it works. And the headers function

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

2 hours ago, 6thOntheLeft said:

It's not a scam unless it works and the consumer got what they paid for, a glued USB header is a minor retarded instruction but nonetheless, it works. And the headers function

Right because function is all that matters and not quality, I mean its not like these things are badly built right?
Cause they kind of are.

It's not really a bad product. 

For the price they were asking before the price drop? Yeah, it was scam-ish(ripoff), but that's still within their right to sell something they've "built" for more than it's worth (I mean, just look at the mattress industry, you really think some of these mattresses cost nearly as much to manufacture as what they are selling for?). At the current new price it's not that bad anymore.

It was a scam when they fucked up the order, somehow, when the invoice clearly says DTW-3 and the box clearly says DTW-1. I get that mistakes are bound to happen sometimes, but that kind of mistake gets people fired and is totally unacceptable. It may have been a case of a misplaced item in the warehouse, with that box being in the DTW-3 spot, but you'd normally at least make sure what you're shipping fits the God damn description on the packing slip.

The only way it'd be remotely excusable, is if the employee who did that was special need/partially blind. In which case it's Walmart's fault for putting them there.

As for the quality of the parts.. Well, the PSU itself is fine, it might be a GreatWall PSU but this is not your Great Wall of old that'd catch on fire just by looking at it wrong and the rest is objectively fine as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

It's not really a bad product. 

The individual components aren’t even that bad. The CPU, RAM, SSD, Hard Drive, GPU and PSU are all fine. It’s just a shame that the choice of case restricted airflow. I would even argue that a cheaper, mesh case without all of the glass would perform so much better. Further, Wal Mart should have spent an extra $20 on a better motherboard. I know margins are surprisingly small on these kinds of products. But that’s more of a reason to save money on a case with fewer gimmicks and spend that on the motherboard.  

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

The individual components aren’t even that bad. The CPU, RAM, SSD, Hard Drive, GPU and PSU are all fine. It’s just a shame that the choice of case restricted airflow. I would even argue that a cheaper, mesh case without all of the glass would perform so much better. Further, Wal Mart should have spent an extra $20 on a better motherboard. I know margins are surprisingly small on these kinds of products. But that’s more of a reason to save money on a case with fewer gimmicks and spend that on the motherboard.  

100% of selling these OEMs, like OMEN and OP are due to looks. If it looks fast, maybe it is fast. Case was probably a must, as well as the fans. 

40 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

100% of selling these OEMs, like OMEN and OP are due to looks. If it looks fast, maybe it is fast. Case was probably a must, as well as the fans. 

True! But they made smarter decisions than Wal Mart. In the OMEN example, the computer cost $100 more and the case was far more basic. It was a boring black steel case with an over-designed plastic front cover and 1 red led fan in the front. It just seems less expensive to me than a glass case with 4 RGB fans. 

And yet...I feel like contradicting myself because the Wal Mart case looks way more impressive because of all the glass and colourful lights. To a lot of people the outside appearance is everything. 

12 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

True! But they made smarter decisions than Wal Mart. In the OMEN example, the computer cost $100 more and the case was far more basic. It was a boring black steel case with an over-designed plastic front cover and 1 red led fan in the front. It just seems less expensive to me than a glass case with 4 RGB fans. 

And yet...I feel like contradicting myself because the Wal Mart case looks way more impressive because of all the glass and colourful lights. To a lot of people the outside appearance is everything. 

If you didn't know any of the specs, you'd look at the flashiest and more expensive one, after all that generally means its better!

It's more an incompetence issue.  Shipping the wrong model, not connecting cables, airflow design...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 12/7/2018 at 6:30 PM, Arika S said:

Scam

/skam/

noun

informal

noun: scam; plural noun: scams

a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

They are willingly and knowingly charging way more for those PCs than they are worth. yes, you have to factor in labor for the people that build them but the massive markup cannot be accounted for in any rational way

massive mark up by a company who is legally required to make its best effort to make money because it is a for profit corporation, is completely rational.  Whats apples mark up on the iphone again? 

On 12/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

You wouldn't expect a person in it's late 40's to know what that cord near your GPU is for.

I would expect them to be able to figure it out.. I'm 35. I remember setting FSB with jumpers, boot orders on IDE drives with jumpers, etc. I mean the screen straight up says to plug in the PCI-E power cable to the graphics card, pull out phone, okay google, how do I plug in a PCI-E cable to a graphics card. I mean come on.. 

5 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

massive mark up by a company who is legally required to make its best effort to make money because it is a for profit corporation, is completely rational.  Whats apples mark up on the iphone again? 

can you buy the individual parts of an iphone an make it yourself?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

can you buy the individual parts of an iphone an make it yourself?

if I was in china probably. ('m sure the guys working in that factory would be willing to sell me some ;) ) maybe I should have used a generic android device as a comparison.

16 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I would expect them to be able to figure it out.. I'm 35. I remember setting FSB with jumpers, boot orders on IDE drives with jumpers, etc. I mean the screen straight up says to plug in the PCI-E power cable to the graphics card, pull out phone, okay google, how do I plug in a PCI-E cable to a graphics card. I mean come on.. 

Do you write your own OS too or do you just download it premade for you?

I mean, it's not that hard if some kid in college could do it. ;)

8 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Do you write your own OS too or do you just download it premade for you?

I mean, it's not that hard if some kid in college could do it. ;)

of course I would download a premade one ;) (I mean I could write my own, I just aint got time for that...(i'm lying)

8 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I am afraid that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Don’t expect everyone to be able to do some of the simplest tasks. And Google isn’t helpful at all if you don’t know what you’re searching. How do you expect people to know that it’s a PCIE cable?

I personally expect that many people who buy prebuilt desktops don’t want to ever fiddle with the hardware. They just expect it to work. And Tech Support is tailored towards these people if anything goes wrong. 

Which leads to another point: How good is the Tech Support for OP gaming PCs? 

I feel like support and convenience are the major argument for buying prebuilt systems, so getting that right is critical. I know that Dave 2D flat out said that he expected Wal Mart to give bad customer support. But that is just speculation on his front. I believe that reviewers are making too many assumptions at this point. The quality of the PSU is just one example. 

@DavidKalinowski Most people aren't willing to make that sort of effort - even if it can save them money. While you may know how, others won't event try. Can't use that as a metric, as much as I'd like to agree with you. 

@M.Yurizaki OS you say? Working on it. It's not as easy as one would think, but it's worth it :) 

WalMart is a classic case of lack of attention to detail. They aren't a scam. Just a poor quality value proposition. A product of laziness, that could have been so much more. It's a shame, really. I'll leave my condolences here for anyone who expected more of this...

@handymanshandle You're right about the PSU details. That's one thing they didn't goof on at least. 

27 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I am afraid that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Don’t expect everyone to be able to do some of the simplest tasks. And Google isn’t helpful at all if you don’t know what you’re searching. How do you expect people to know that it’s a PCIE cable?

I personally expect that many people who buy prebuilt desktops don’t want to ever fiddle with the hardware. They just expect it to work. And Tech Support is tailored towards these people if anything goes wrong. 

Which leads to another point: How good is the Tech Support for OP gaming PCs? 

I feel like support and convenience are the major argument for buying prebuilt systems, so getting that right is critical. I know that Dave 2D flat out said that he expected Wal Mart to give bad customer support. But that is just speculation on his front. I believe that reviewers are making too many assumptions at this point. The quality of the PSU is just one example. 

In one of the video review I watched (i think it was the LTT one) the screen literally said to plug in the pci-e power cable.

Edited by DavidKalinowski
typos

On 12/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, 6thOntheLeft said:

You wouldn't expect a person in it's late 40's to know what that cord near your GPU is for.

Today is literally my Bday and it put me very close to hitting that 40 mark. I mean my grandfather who passed away about 5 years ago in his late 80's is the the one who actually taught me how to use a computer and also purchased me my first machine.

This was back in the black and white monitor days with modems that you just put the phone on a base. So while he did come to me in the later years if he had PC problems he was also more than capable of figuring it out himself if needed.

The truth is we are living in an age where information is literally a quick search away. So thanks to channels like LTT if someone has an issue with their new OP machine a quick google search will bring them to sources like LTT where they can find an easy and painless solution.

Lastly, these aren't bad machines. The front of the case being very restrictive does stink, but it isn't a complete deal breaker and I expect the next revision to do something about it. The prices on them have dropped also so they are more in line with the price of the components. They aren't a replacement for building your own system, but they do fill the niche they were made for.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:19 PM, TetraSky said:

For the price they were asking before the price drop? Yeah, it was scam-ish

Let me touch on this bit. Them selling something for pretty much any price is not "scam-ish." You are easily able to look in to it and make a decision. It is the consumers responsibility to find out if the value is there and make an informed decision. The price is fully disclosed and the decision is 100% up to the consumer.

"Scam-ish" would be them listing the price of the item with details then you ordering said item and instead getting something under spec or completely different that described. I know this happend to one of the reviewers, but this was a shipping error and now them trying to scam him. They quickly resolved it, which means they weren't out to intentionally take advantage.

So you can say the item isn't of good value, but that doesn't make it a scam.

59 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

In one of the video review I watched (i think it was the LTT one) the screen literally said to plug in the pci-e power cable.

I can argue all day long about how people don’t want to troubleshoot computers because they’re afraid of making things worse. In this scenario, I expect many people to ship the computer to a tech support office. Even if it’s just a cable that’s not plugged in. Opening up a computer is more intimidating than you think.