AMD not releasing new FX CPUs Next Year

ilikemacandpc

Unless some wizardry happens with Silicon and thermal dissipation in general, that aint gonna happen.

Maybe when we have Graphene or Light based chips. But on Silicon? No. We are getting closer and closer to how far we can push silicon based chips' efficiency. I'm fairly certain there's a wall we will inevitably hit and I feel like it will be soon. 

Putting a CPU and GPU on the same chip would just make us hit that wall sooner. If you want evidence for such a statement, look at what progress we've made with CPU's and GPU's in general in recent years. It's all about efficiency. Not just for mobile platforms, but on all platforms. 

Why do you think that is? That they would focus on efficiency so much? I think it's because that's the only direction they can go to get meaningful gains anymore.

Well graphene CPUs arent that far away... +Intel is mostly focusing on efficiency since AMD isnt doing anything...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Most of you are missing the point of APUs entirely. The integrated graphics can be used as a mildly competent graphics card if you don't have one, yes, but the main purpose is that with the implementation of HSA, which AMD is just now ready to start putting into practice, when you have a dedicated graphics card the integrated GPU essentially becomes a section of the CPU, and handles the floating-point operations a CPU would normally be doing. GPUs are far more effective at churning through FP calculations than a CPU is, and FP math is used plenty in gaming. Can you see where this is going?

The FX CPUs, with the amount of performance they had, were effectively getting that much performance while crippled. They may be 8-core CPUs, as they have 8 integer units, but they only have 4 floating point units, so as far as FP math is concerned the FX-8350 is a quad-core. They could beef up the floating point capabilities of the Bulldozer architecture, but adding a GCN section to handle the floating point math is a far, far more effective solution. You wanted them to just keep working on an improved Bulldozer design? This is it. For the moment, the FX-8350 can still cover the higher end for a little while longer, and meanwhile they're working on HSA implementation on their smaller APUs. Now that they've done that, I suspect the next step is to start designing larger and higher powered APUs that can replace the FX-8350, and they only need AM3+ to cover for them until they are ready to do that and move entirely to the FM platform with high performance APUs, effectively the FX CPUs that you all are asking for, this time with epic floating point performance which has been the single biggest weak spot in FX CPU gaming performance.

APUs are great for budget gaming, but AMD has their sights set higher; in future enthusiast-class APUs, the integrated GPU is present with another purpose in mind. It's not for graphics processing. (Well, it is right now, since they haven't made the move from smaller, budget APUs to larger high performance APUs yet).

We'll see how things stand in a year from now with AMD's releases. It's just a race against time now, and hopefully AMD has the engineering resources to get higher end APUs on the table before the FX-8350 can't cover for them anymore.

god fucking damnit! I scheduled my new rig for the new AMD cpus -.-'

*insert lots of random curses*-aids-herpes-ass. ><

/tantrum.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Most of you are missing the point of APUs entirely. The integrated graphics can be used as a mildly competent graphics card if you don't have one, yes, but the main purpose is that with the implementation of HSA, which AMD is just now ready to start putting into practice, when you have a dedicated graphics card the integrated GPU essentially becomes a section of the CPU, and handles the floating-point operations a CPU would normally be doing. GPUs are far more effective at churning through FP calculations than a CPU is, and FP math is used plenty in gaming. Can you see where this is going?

The FX CPUs, with the amount of performance they had, were effectively getting that much performance while crippled. They may be 8-core CPUs, as they have 8 integer units, but they only have 4 floating point units, so as far as FP math is concerned the FX-8350 is a quad-core. They could beef up the floating point capabilities of the Bulldozer architecture, but adding a GCN section to handle the floating point math is a far, far more effective solution. You wanted them to just keep working on an improved Bulldozer design? This is it. For the moment, the FX-8350 can still cover the higher end for a little while longer, and meanwhile they're working on HSA implementation on their smaller APUs. Now that they've done that, I suspect the next step is to start designing larger and higher powered APUs that can replace the FX-8350, and they only need AM3+ to cover for them until they are ready to do that and move entirely to the FM platform with high performance APUs, effectively the FX CPUs that you all are asking for, this time with epic floating point performance which has been the single biggest weak spot in FX CPU gaming performance.

APUs are great for budget gaming, but AMD has their sights set higher; in future enthusiast-class APUs, the integrated GPU is present with another purpose in mind. It's not for graphics processing. (Well, it is right now, since they haven't made the move from smaller, budget APUs to larger high performance APUs yet).

We'll see how things stand in a year from now with AMD's releases. It's just a race against time now, and hopefully AMD has the engineering resources to get higher end APUs on the table before the FX-8350 can't cover for them anymore. 

Thank you Glenwing. You get it. I'm just going to link anyone who doesn't understand this to this post from now on. Because that's the best explanation I've seen of it yet. 

Plus they might listen to you. Not only because you are a mod, but you literally study this stuff. So yeah. If anyone would "get it", it'd be you.

I implied something earlier that is wrong. I was basically saying that the integrated GPU would work together with the dedicated GPU to get more performance. But when I said that, I was thinking what you said. Which those are two different things entirely.

It's basically trying to be more efficient. Which I think just improves my argument that Silicon is reaching it's wall.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No FX CPUs IN 2014??? I have two words to say to that:

1.) Already

2.) Posted

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/75892-beema-mullins-amd-apus-bring-over-2x-performancewatt/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Thank you Glenwing. You get it. I'm just going to link anyone who doesn't understand this to this post from now on. Because that's the best explanation I've seen of it yet. 

Plus they might listen to you. Not only because you are a mod, but you literally study this stuff. So yeah. If anyone would "get it", it'd be you.

I implied something earlier that is wrong. I was basically saying that the integrated GPU would work together with the dedicated GPU to get more performance. But when I said that, I was thinking what you said. Which those are two different things entirely.

It's basically trying to be more efficient. Which I think just improves my argument that Silicon is reaching it's wall.

Well, I suppose you might be able to do that as a 3rd option if you really wanted to :P CrossFire the APU with a graphics card, but I don't know why you would :D

Well, I suppose you might be able to do that as a 3rd option if you really wanted to :P CrossFire the APU with a graphics card, but I don't know why you would :D

I actually think the way you were talking about would be 100x better. You could almost look at the FX series of CPUs as an experiment. Where you have two cores sharing resources. That's basically hUMA in a miniature version. But with two CPU cores. Except they didn't work together. They worked separate. Which is a bad thing. 

Huh. I have a new found appreciation for the FX CPU's. Yeah they suck. But hey. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm cool with this as long as they reserve an enthusiast moniker for really high end APUs. I must be kidding myself if I think that will really happen though.

An 8 core APU with discrete graphics built in...

One can dream right?

Vishera is on 32nm. On TSMC 20nm which will be opening shop in a few months, AMD will probably use it for their next APU release (After Steamroller). Using that, shrinking down the 8350 and using the freed space for a decent GPU all in a 100-125W package isn't unreasonable at all.

Vishera is on 32nm. On TSMC 20nm which will be opening shop in a few months, AMD will probably use it for their next APU release (After Steamroller). Using that, shrinking down the 8350 and using the freed space for a decent GPU all in a 100-125W package isn't unreasonable at all.

I figured it wasn't practical. I just thought it would be cool

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Well its in progress to replace the GPU...

AMD isn't replacing the GPU.

They are replacing traditional serial CPUs with APU that have separate processors for serial tasks and parallel tasks.

dGPU will continue to exist and be essential to anyone who wants to play modern games. In systems with dGPU the APU can use the "cpu" for serial tasks and the "gpu" for parallel tasks. I don't think many people understand that AMD is not trying to put everything on one chip, they are integrating a GPU into the die so that software that uses GPU acceleration can be done on an APU, and massively increasing "CPU" performance.

I figured it wasn't practical. I just thought it would be cool

No, I was saying with a die shrink from their current 32nm to 20nm, they could probably fit an FX-8350 + a GPU in the space of an old FX-8350 without a problem. 8-Core APUs aren't out of the question.

No, I was saying with a die shrink from their current 32nm to 20nm, they could probably fit an FX-8350 + a GPU in the space of an old FX-8350 without a problem. 8-Core APUs aren't out of the question.

Oh I totally read it wrong lol. My bad for the misunderstanding. I'm running on 5 hrs of sleep, had an 8 hr work day, and am waiting for dinner to finish so my mind is gone right now

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

they said the same thing about GPUs this year... and... 290X.

So we don't know what's gonna happen until we go through the entire 2014. So don't get your hopes up/down.

Nope Because The whole point of power is because you have a GPU already no need for integrated graphics. 

Uh, so I'm guessing you never buy Intel CPU's then?

i wanted a Fx-6400! wow liek thsi is so dissapointing to me its not even funny theere were always rumors but now, nooooooo 

Sad life. I know I know.

AMD FX cpus are still pretty decent imo in terms of its performance and can achieve pretty decent overclocks. But wonder if they can still hold on when Broadwell releases. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

"High end"...

It is high end. without quotes.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

It is high end. without quotes.

Has AMD got anything to compete with LGA2011 CPU?

I was looking forward to seeing their advances in the high end most of all...

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Compete using what as a metric? 

Does Intel have anything to compete with an A10 APU, or any other FM2+ APU? Kaveri? No? Well I guess competition has nothing to do with a CPU being high end or not now does it? 

Yes FX-9xxx series processors, impractical, but they do compete with LGA 2011 processors.

Back from the dead....

If you use an extreme processor like you're supposed to, instead of just using it for epeen...then yes they do. AMD is very strong in  multi-threaded applications.... 

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database