How should I configure my AIO layout?

I plan to watercool my gpu, how  good will the airflow be if I have a 120mm aio intaking from the back and a 240mm aio intaking from the front with a 140mm fan exhausting at the top? 

My current setup is a 120mm fan in the top and back exhausting with a 240mm aio intaking at the front.

My main goal is to significantly drop temperatures of my gpu, it stays in the high 60s under load which I know isn’t bad but it becomes too hot for me in my room.

Case is a thermaltake SPCC matx case with a 3080 stuffed into it.

9FA5DAC8-BBB1-4C4B-8505-4E6AEB8E055B.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Yousef65 said:

but it becomes too hot for me in my room

The room temperature will not change, as the same amount of watts are being used, therefore the same amount of heat will be dumped into the room

Apprentice Software Developer

1 hour ago, Yousef65 said:

120mm aio

I'd replace this with a tower cooler. 120mm isn't enough to really cool.

intaking from the back

Turn this into an exhaust

240mm aio intaking from the front with a 140mm fan exhausting at the top

This should be fine

My main goal is to significantly drop temperatures of my gpu, it stays in the high 60s under load

You're unlikely to drop temps any further than this

becomes too hot for me in my room.

You will in fact be increasing the temperature of your room by giving the GPU more thermal head room to pull more power and put out more heat. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I plan to watercool my gpu, how  good will the airflow be if I have a 120mm aio intaking from the back and a 240mm aio intaking from the front with a 140mm fan exhausting at the top? 

My current setup is a 120mm fan in the top and back exhausting with a 240mm aio intaking at the front.

My main goal is to significantly drop temperatures of my gpu, it stays in the high 60s under load which I know isn’t bad but it becomes too hot for me in my room.

Hi buddy,

You mention AIO's but they tend to be factory fitted to GPUs rather than additions. I think NZXT do an AIO cooler for GPUs but its not very good as it doesn't have any active cooling for anything other than the GPU core. VRMs and memory will need fans. Maybe there's other options but not sure about that.

What CPU do you have? Is it cooled by an AIO?

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

9FA5DAC8-BBB1-4C4B-8505-4E6AEB8E055B.jpeg

How you configure it isn't going to change heat production. That is a result of power wastage, so the best way to lower the heat output is to undervolt your CPU and GPU. If you can vent the air outside that will help. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

11 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

The room temperature will not change, as the same amount of watts are being used, therefore the same amount of heat will be dumped into the room

I see, I was hoping with a lower system temperature it wouldn’t emit as much heat into the room keeping it cooler for longer. Thanks

10 hours ago, OddOod said:

I'd replace this with a tower cooler. 120mm isn't enough to really cool.

Turn this into an exhaust

This should be fine

You're unlikely to drop temps any further than this

You will in fact be increasing the temperature of your room by giving the GPU more thermal head room to pull more power and put out more heat. 

I didn’t look at it like that, when you put it like that for me I do realize the error of my thinking there. Do you think it would be worth repasting and repadding my gpu, even if just to drop it 5c?

10 hours ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Hi buddy,

You mention AIO's but they tend to be factory fitted to GPUs rather than additions. I think NZXT do an AIO cooler for GPUs but its not very good as it doesn't have any active cooling for anything other than the GPU core. VRMs and memory will need fans. Maybe there's other options but not sure about that.

What CPU do you have? Is it cooled by an AIO?

I was going to just mod an aio block onto the gpu, maybe even make a cheap copper plate that can be cooled by the block for the rest of the memory.

I have a 5700x cooled by a 240mm aio, it stays very cool. Around 60c under load; do you think I could swap my aio for a 240mm radiator that could potentially cool my cpu and gpu? 

10 hours ago, RevGAM said:

How you configure it isn't going to change heat production. That is a result of power wastage, so the best way to lower the heat output is to undervolt your CPU and GPU. If you can vent the air outside that will help. 

I’ll look up some undervolting guides and do that soon, I’m not really sure how I could vent my exhaust outside, I have 2 exhaust fans. One at the back and one at the top, my best guess right now would be some duct hosing. 

Thanks for the advice.

13 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

The temperature will change, but it'll increase. If I pull X amount of power, I'm essentially producing that as heat. So if the GPU pulls 250W, that's 250W as heat. The higher the temperature of the component, the more of that heat energy is contained within the component. If that's our baseline, retaining the same power profile, but REDUCING temperatures on the respective component means that we increased cooling capacity, either by means of changing the TIM, increasing fan speed, etc, which would result in a temperature increase within the room, since that automatically means we've increased our ability to remove heat.

TLDR: Increasing ability to remove heat means a higher room temperature with the same power profile.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The temperature will change, but it'll increase. If I pull X amount of power, I'm essentially producing that as heat. So if the GPU pulls 250W, that's 250W as heat. The higher the temperature of the component, the more of that heat energy is contained within the component. If that's our baseline, retaining the same power profile, but REDUCING temperatures on the respective component means that we increased cooling capacity, either by means of changing the TIM, increasing fan speed, etc, which would result in a temperature increase within the room, since that automatically means we've increased our ability to remove heat.

TLDR: Increasing ability to remove heat means a higher room temperature with the same power profile.

I see, that makes a lot of sense when I think about it; it would be exhausting more heat from the system.

I did some slight undervolting to my cpu and gpu, and I’m now seeing much lower temperatures. My gpu memory temps were 89-95c and gpu temp in general 65-70c, and after undervolting they’re now 76-80c memory temp and 53-59c gpu temp.

My cpu went from 55c to 47c under loads. Would I benefit from larger exhaust fans, or even a larger aio?

Thanks for the information

7 minutes ago, Yousef65 said:

Would I benefit from larger exhaust fans, or even a larger aio?

Wouldn't that increase thermal headroom and therefore temp?

Apprentice Software Developer

2 hours ago, Yousef65 said:

I see, that makes a lot of sense when I think about it; it would be exhausting more heat from the system.

I did some slight undervolting to my cpu and gpu, and I’m now seeing much lower temperatures. My gpu memory temps were 89-95c and gpu temp in general 65-70c, and after undervolting they’re now 76-80c memory temp and 53-59c gpu temp.

My cpu went from 55c to 47c under loads. Would I benefit from larger exhaust fans, or even a larger aio?

Thanks for the information

Would you benefit? No. The temperature in your room will maintain or increase. Will the CPU benefit? Possibly but not terribly likely.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

14 hours ago, Yousef65 said:

repasting

I only advise repasting on 5+ year old hardware. As for

14 hours ago, Yousef65 said:

repadding

I never really recommend this. Pads are spendy and fiddly and unless there is a serious problem I tell people to stay away from it. 
Further, anything you do to imprrove performance is going to almost certainly increase the heat being put into the room. This is just a very basic reality of physics. 
Honestly my recommendation would be to get a halfway decent box fan, put it in the doorway pulling air into the room, and be done with it. If you have a window, there are some pretty good window fans with airflow control (in, out, and exchange modes) and that is how I keep my gaming room (two rigs with top tier CPU and GPUs) cool...er. I will admit sometimes the room gets to 92F in the summer even with all my mitigations. Really need to get a guy out here to put in a minisplit

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup