AMD not releasing new FX CPUs Next Year

ilikemacandpc

According to the latest AMD roadmaps, Vishera will continue to be the high end AMD offering through 2014. APUs seem to be their dominant focus. 

For a number of years Advanced Micro Devices has been saying that the future of PC microprocessors are hybrid accelerated processing units that feature both x86 general-purpose cores as well as highly-parallel graphics processing engines. As it appears, the company not only thinks that APU is the future, but even has no plans to update its FX-series of microprocessors in 2014.

Even high end servers will not get Steamroller. 

I for one am EXTREMELY disappointed. AMD really makes good budget offerings, but with Intel's combined push for efficiency and (slightly) greater performance, the situation is not looking good for AMD. Bulldozer came out to much panning, but Vishera came out to moderately positive reviews. While its power consumption was comparatively atrocious to Intel's, the performance, especially in multithreaded situations, was competitive. Trinity and Richland, both architectures with Piledriver cores, bring great performance and price. AMD also bruoght a 5Ghz cpu with Piledriver, and based on the purported IPC improvements on Steamroller, an 8 core FX Steamroller chip could bring some much needed competitiveness to the red camp. Alas, AMD does not deliver more. 

A competitive AMD is needed for Intel to not rest on its laurels. We as enthusiasts must support AMD, because the consumer needs them to push prices, performance, and innovation. Please, AMD, bring us new FX chips. 

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20131113225841_AMD_Cans_Plans_to_Introduce_Next_Gen_FX_Microprocessors_Next_Year.html

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

noooooooooooooo

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

What if they made an apu with the power of the 8350 and a decent on board gpu would you buy it then?

Nope Because The whole point of power is because you have a GPU already no need for integrated graphics. 

And to think I was going to hold off for the next gen chips... 3770K it is.

Same... I was waiting for like 6 months for nothing...

That's very disappointing :( I'm a big fan of the FX chips and AMD. I also want intel to have a reason to release something good.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

i wanted a Fx-6400! wow liek thsi is so dissapointing to me its not even funny theere were always rumors but now, nooooooo 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Well we already kind of knew this was going to happen...

This^

What if they made an apu with the power of the 8350 and a decent on board gpu would you buy it then?

You get it.

Nope Because The whole point of power is because you have a GPU already no need for integrated graphics. 

.... And what if having an integrated GPU actually makes the CPU side more efficient, and it can work together with the dedicated GPU in a strange form of crossfire. One that doesn't give 60-80% gains, but 20-40%? 

I'm just saying. The path they seem to want to go is where the APU basically works in tandem with a dedicated GPU to improve CPU efficiency. 

The point of an APU, in my eyes, is not to replace the dedicated GPU, but to enhance it

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No they need to make an apu with better performance(new architecture)....

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

The point of an APU, in my eyes, is not to replace the dedicated GPU, but to enhance it

Well its in progress to replace the GPU...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

This^

You get it.

.... And what if having an integrated GPU actually makes the CPU side more efficient, and it can work together with the dedicated GPU in a strange form of crossfire. One that doesn't give 60-80% gains, but 20-40%? 

I'm just saying. The path they seem to want to go is where the APU basically works in tandem with a dedicated GPU to improve CPU efficiency. 

Just hope they make something like an Fx chip(more powerful) that I can turn off the graphics chip...

What AMD are saying is "We are finally back in on the benchmarks, the 8350 is a great success, we have one of the fastest CPUs that will soon gain support from our amazing new GPU architecture utilising more cores! Let's stop for a year and let Intel get on top again while we focus on a much smaller market!"

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

TBH i would much rather they got it right and then pushed one out. than a half assed job this year.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Almost there. 

For low end only... But few years and APUs will be dominating...

Just hope they make something like an Fx chip(more powerful) that I can turn off the graphics chip...

So... You are saying you want a really powerful CPU with a moderately powerful GPU. Then you want to buy a very powerful GPU, and turn off the moderately powerful GPU. Which would make your FPS worse. Not better. 

You make no sense. None.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well its in progress to replace the GPU...

Unless some wizardry happens with Silicon and thermal dissipation in general, that aint gonna happen.

Maybe when we have Graphene or Light based chips. But on Silicon? No. We are getting closer and closer to how far we can push silicon based chips' efficiency. I'm fairly certain there's a wall we will inevitably hit and I feel like it will be soon. 

Putting a CPU and GPU on the same chip would just make us hit that wall sooner. If you want evidence for such a statement, look at what progress we've made with CPU's and GPU's in general in recent years. It's all about efficiency. Not just for mobile platforms, but on all platforms. 

Why do you think that is? That they would focus on efficiency so much? I think it's because that's the only direction they can go to get meaningful gains anymore.

† Christian Member †

For low end only... But few years and APUs will be dominating...

Hopefully I hate these huge GPUs......

I'm cool with this as long as they reserve an enthusiast moniker for really high end APUs. I must be kidding myself if I think that will really happen though.

An 8 core APU with discrete graphics built in...

One can dream right?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)