AMD not releasing new FX CPUs Next Year

ilikemacandpc

If you use an extreme processor like you're supposed to, instead of just using it for epeen...then yes they do. AMD is very strong in  multi-threaded applications.... 

Which games are being directly optimized for.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

funny thing is with the performance increases 8 core SR FX @ 4.0 would be competing with low end LGA2011 CPU's

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

they are switching to APU's

FM2+ is now going to be their leading socket, and with the accelerations that they are promising with Kaveri, it should be a definite win for the desktop.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I wouldnt be surprised if the dropped fx because they didnt really follow through when they proght it back. They make all their money on their apus anyways...

I think once the manufacturing and process technology is ready they will release an 8 core APU enthusiast product on FM2+.

Whether they brand it as FX remains to be seen.

Of course Intel has perfomance APUs like the 4770K but they are ahead on process node and also I believe Intel devotes less die space to graphics.

Intel ftw

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

That's very disappointing :( I'm a big fan of the FX chips and AMD. I also want intel to have a reason to release something good.

amd has 8 core 5 ghz cpu intel has 4 and 6 core cpus with max 3.9 ghz turbo that beat amd's 5 ghz cpu by far so what else do you want? they are dominating on the market 81% vs 19% in cpus so better amd released something waaaaay better then that junk buldozer

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Has AMD got anything to compete with LGA2011 CPU?

no of course. they can't beat 1155 socket and 1150 socket top cpus yet.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

well its a shame isnt it, i was hoping for some new ones, make intel competitive so that performance increases faster.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I hope AMD moves the FX line to the FM2+ socket, or releases AM4 and a new chipset for it. But I would be disappointed if see Steamroller/Excavator on the 990fx chipset.

I'm not sure how I feel about this decision.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................................................................................................................................................................................................................

no of course. they can't beat 1155 socket and 1150 socket top cpus yet.

Now thats incorrect they have plenty that can beat it

I hope AMD moves the FX line to the FM2+ socket, or releases AM4 and a new chipset for it. But I would be disappointed if see Steamroller/Excavator on the 990fx chipset.

I dont think theyll move it because they ruined the FX name for the most part with bulldozer which was supposed to compete with 2011 chips and never did etc.

yeah they weren't supposed to release any gpus this year either LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT!!

I'm cool with this as long as they reserve an enthusiast moniker for really high end APUs. I must be kidding myself if I think that will really happen though.

An 8 core APU with discrete graphics built in...

One can dream right?

Possible,even intel atoms have 8 cores like the Atom C2750.

no all well it would happen 

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Looks like i should get an 8320 now then

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I think that they will release a new product that will work better with mantle then the current FX cpu's and leave FX for consumer CPU rendering(multithreaded). To be honest without mantle that's almost the only thing they are good for. That new product is going to be an apu with a gpu for not making the frames but for taking over cpu tasks that will give a huma level of performance increase if i'm right (for the tasks done igpu of course). I think this is possible with mantle because it's flexible. Apu will have have more performance (per dollar)than intel could with their current lineup if mantle is going to be as big as I hope. Futher mantle makes cpu performance so irrelevant (this was shown on a demo on APU 2013) that it gives me the impression that current gen can run next gen games, it would make a lot of scene to spend R&D on apu's and AMD does that. AMD course makes a lot of scene for me now :o

I think that they will release a new product that will work better with mantle then the current FX cpu's and leave FX for consumer CPU rendering(multithreaded). To be honest without mantle that's almost the only thing they are good for. That new product is going to be an apu with a gpu for not making the frames but for taking over cpu tasks that will give a huma level of performance increase if i'm right (for the tasks done igpu of course). I think this is possible with mantle because it's flexible. Apu will have have more performance (per dollar)than intel could with their current lineup if mantle is going to be as big as I hope. Futher mantle makes cpu performance so irrelevant (this was shown on a demo on APU 2013) that it gives me the impression that current gen can run next gen games, it would make a lot of scene to spend R&D on apu's and AMD does that. AMD course makes a lot of scene for me now :o

I dont see where your going with on this at all. Please remember that mantle only effects games and only ones that use it. Most AMD systems especially APU based systems are budget oriented and will probably never be used for anything more than playing a facebook game, watching youtube, and other basic stuff as that is what the majority of people do with their computers for. Even what you look at the standard desktop in business the integrated graphics on intel or AMD are more than enough for running two monitors on business oriented applications. You may not like it but this has been what is keeping AMD alive for the time being. Gamers are the minority when it comes to PC by far and gamers that actually buy the top stuff are even more of a minority. I really wonder what the number of say the 4670K vs the 4770K look like or single card graphics configuration vs dual card are.

Haven't we heard this from AMD before then they do release. Didn't they say at the beginning of the year that they weren't going to release a GPU in 2013? Hmmmmm

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Meh... 4930k/x still better choice. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

I dont see where your going with on this at all. Please remember that mantle only effects games and only ones that use it. Most AMD systems especially APU based systems are budget oriented and will probably never be used for anything more than playing a facebook game, watching youtube, and other basic stuff as that is what the majority of people do with their computers for. Even what you look at the standard desktop in business the integrated graphics on intel or AMD are more than enough for running two monitors on business oriented applications. You may not like it but this has been what is keeping AMD alive for the time being. Gamers are the minority when it comes to PC by far and gamers that actually buy the top stuff are even more of a minority. I really wonder what the number of say the 4670K vs the 4770K look like or single card graphics configuration vs dual card are.

I should have made my comment a question, I was wondering if mantle could use the on board graphics to get past the weaknesses of the AMD's CPU's(floating point performance for example). If that is how mantle works it would explain the performance gains mantle is producing. And that would explain why they don't need to realese a FX cpu which doesn't have that advantage with mantle. I was just trying to reason the statement the TS posted and I didn't do well trying to do it.

I should have made my comment a question, I was wondering if mantle could use the on board graphics to get past the weaknesses of the AMD's CPU's(floating point performance for example). If that is how mantle works it would explain the performance gains mantle is producing. And that would explain why they don't need to realese a FX cpu which doesn't have that advantage with mantle. I was just trying to reason the statement the TS posted and I didn't do well trying to do it.

Kaveri does use the integrated GPU to help with the CPU's floating point work, although it has nothing to do with Mantle. It's called HSA. Mantle is a graphics API, and it produces performance gains primarily for the GPU, not the CPU, although it does help with multi-core scaling.

Kaveri does use the integrated GPU to help with the CPU's floating point work, although it has nothing to do with Mantle. It's called HSA. Mantle is a graphics API, and it produces performance gains primarily for the GPU, not the CPU, although it does help with multi-core scaling.

Thanks for answering that for me. PC was down checking a 3TB HDD for quite some time.