amazon explains how their drone service will work

pixeldensity

this is such a stupid idea....these will be shot down

hell I probably will shot one down if I see it...so I can get whatever package its carrying

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

with everybody talking about how  the drone will be shot down, i'm sure amazon has already thought of that scenario and is coming up with a plan to counter it.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

hell I probably will shot one down if I see it...so I can get whatever package its carrying

He's joking right? I hear this argument all the time when Drone delivery is mentioned. As a civilized society, we've managed to get along pretty well allowing parcels to be delivered. We don't see many postmen being robbed at gunpoint, we don't see many delivery drivers being mugged. Why do people think if drones are involved everybody is gonna lose their shit and start shooting them? Haha.

Here's some food for thought: mailboxes exist.

Do I need to elaborate? If you think that you can get away with shooting down a courier drone, please test that theory by robbing a mailbox or two. Let me know how it works out.

Because you're shooting down a drone, not a person. This'll just make it incredibly easy, especially if you don't live in a dense populated area with no one around to watch. Just comes down to how desperate people are.

Civilized or not, there are plenty of buffoons on this planet that would not hesitate to commit such an act. 

And also, you're comparing a drone to human beings? 

I'm obviously not comparing drones to human beings. That was not an exhaustive list of examples, mine just happened to contain a human element. See SSL's comment for more.

There are countless other examples of people not thieving so much that it causes a systemic problem. Which brings me back to the civilized society part, we have deterrents, we have laws, we have a moral code of conduct. We've made it this far, I'm yet to be convinced Drone delivery systems will throw us in to anarchy.

Edit: Besides, I'm pretty sure Barnacules was joking.

*searches for the video of anti-drone gun that could force the drone to land*

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Do I need to elaborate? If you think that you can get away with shooting down a courier drone, please test that theory by robbing a mailbox or two. Let me know how it works out.

this has nothing to do with this

shooting down a drone would be easy unless it flys at such a high altitude you can't see it..or hit it....but thats not what these will do...they will probably fly at a few hundred meters

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I will hack them and hijack it to my house.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I sure hope these things fly very high​, otherwise we're going to hear endless stories on the news about stolen packages. One could easily shoot it down.

Totally. For sure someone will discharge a firearm in a residential area and cause property damage to a moving, flying object that costs thousands of dollars so they can steal a package with unknown contents with a size/weight limit that also records audio/video/gps location.

That sounds so much easier and less illegal than just walking to your front door and stealing the package and driving off. 

Totally. For sure someone will discharge a firearm in a residential area and cause property damage to a moving, flying object that costs thousands of dollars so they can steal a package with unknown contents with a size/weight limit that also records audio/video/gps location.

That sounds so much easier and less illegal than just walking to your front door and stealing the package and driving off.

Rednecks will be rednecks. Stealing a package off of someone's door and shooting something out of the sky are two very different things.

Because you're shooting down a drone, not a person. This'll just make it incredibly easy, especially if you don't live in a dense populated area with no one around to watch. Just comes down to how desperate people are.

Well, for starters, these will NOT be operating in "sparsely populated areas". You'll have to live within 15 miles of one of their major warehouses. That pretty much guarantees you'll be in or right outside some of the largest cities in the continental US.

I highly doubt these drones will become economic enough to replace standard courier infrastructure for normal long range deliveries.

Why would you do that? That sounds, well... stupid. And a huge risk for you for what? A couple hundred bucks worth of merchandise at best? The punishment if/when caught will likely be into the thousands of dollars - if not worse, considering the risk to human life from shooting a 50 lbs drone out of the sky.

Exactly. Robbing a mailbox is much easier and much less risky (to surrounding property damage and human risk from a giant piece of plastic and metal falling from the sky).

I can see some novel crime because it's "cool" to shoot down a drone, but I also see Amazon pursuing the culprits extremely vigorously.

shooting down a drone would be easy unless it flys at such a high altitude you can't see it..or hit it....but thats not what these will do...they will probably fly at a few hundred meters

How does one have nothing to do with the other? They both carry and/or store parcels (Which, you would think, is the point of shooting said drone down).

Also, how will that be easy? Shooting a moving target, at range, at altitude? I don't think so. Not the average shooter, and certainly not without using a ton of ammo. About the only times it would be easy to shoot one down is when they are landing or taking off. And at that point, your risk of getting caught and/or killing someone with falling debris would be much higher, and your chance of actually getting the goods is much lower.

Agreed. Anyone who actually tries to shoot down an Amazon drone is an idiot, and a danger to society. I highly doubt we're going to see them shot down in droves. A couple? Possibly. But not enough to make them stop the program.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Please explain why it has nothing to do with this. See, the way an argument works is that you present a premise and then reasons or evidence.

Mailbox robbery is relevant because they can contain mail or packages, just like a courier drone, and can easily be looted or vandalized, just like a drone - probably moreso. Consider that the drone will have at minimum realtime positional data, and probably video as well. Amazon will know immediately if a drone is in distress and can then file a police report within a very short time.

So please, continue to "argue" that people shooting down drones will be a serious ongoing problem.

Do you need to put that Amazon logo mat on the ground for the drone to land?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Do you need to put that Amazon logo mat on the ground for the drone to land?

Yes, that's how the drone knows where your landing zone is. It will of course also use sensors to determine that the landing zone is clear and safe. It will probably also check GPS coordinates to make sure the Amazon Mat is in the right property.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

well the video shows the customer confirming a prompt that they are home and that the drone is safe to land, this and the landing pad would be some of the ways amazon would be attempting to limit theft and harm to ppl on the ground. pretty much meaning that if it lands and leaves your package  un-supervised its the customers fault at that point if it gets stolen. Plus most people are not going to be stealing in these urban areas, especially if someone is right their waiting for the drone to land with their package.

In regards to the argument of drones getting shot down, I think maybe one or two idiots will shoot them down, but they will be caught swiftly (drones are GPS/camera equipped) and amazon will prosecute to the fullest extent to make an example

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Yes, that's how the drone knows where your landing zone is. It will of course also use sensors to determine that the landing zone is clear and safe. It will probably also check GPS coordinates to make sure the Amazon Mat is in the right property.

I wonder if that thing will get confused say 2 neighbors who lives next to each other, both ordered at the same time and put their amazon mats in the back yard, ha ha.

In regards to the argument of drones getting shot down, I think maybe one or two idiots will shoot them down, but they will be caught swiftly (drones are GPS/camera equipped) and amazon will prosecute to the fullest extent to make an example

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Barnacles is as dumb as he is large.

You can disagree with someone without being an ass.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Amazon could probably just ban people from delivering to the address from which the drone was shot down.

I was disappointed that Clarkson didn't say " this is the fastest delivery system ... in the world!"

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I wonder if that thing will get confused say 2 neighbors who lives next to each other, both ordered at the same time and put their amazon mats in the back yard, ha ha.

:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVpPqDGMyU

That seems pretty extreme for pointing a laser

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

That seems pretty extreme for pointing a laser

They merged two separate videos. :D

They merged two separate videos. :D

Oh, lol

This would replace about no jobs in the future. They can't even get a amazon website up in most European countries. UPS (I also worked for) caN deliver 50 stops in one morning per driver. Also up to 70kilo packages. Not counting places with wires and heavy cities.

This would replace about no jobs in the future. They can't even get a amazon website up in most European countries. UPS (I also worked for) caN deliver 50 stops in one morning per driver. Also up to 70kilo packages. Not counting places with wires and heavy cities.

Indeed, this drone delivery service will not take away from standard courier deliveries. Rather, it'll be for those ultra time sensitive orders. Keep in mind, the delivery fee for one of these is going to be insane.

Indeed, this drone delivery service will not take away from standard courier deliveries. Rather, it'll be for those ultra time sensitive orders. Keep in mind, the delivery fee for one of these is going to be insane.

Hard to say what the delivery costs will be.... It could be free for all we know. Right now I get same day delivery on some items for free where other places would charge an arm and a leg.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX