turtle glass... the new gorilla glass? indestructible phones!

fade2green514

Samsung is hoping to bring a tougher strengthened glass that can withstand abuse and damage better than the industry-leading Gorilla Glass today.

The protective glass, which is known as Turtle, has appeared on Chinese social media site Weibo. There isn't much information about Turtle at this time, but there's speculation that the glass can also bend, which would make it suitable for Samsung's foldable smartphone endeavor known as Project Valley.

i dont drop my phones... but the glass gets scratched. really hoping this brings more durability and longevity to phones... and more scratch resistant! wouldnt even need a phantom glass protector anymore lol

Pretty dank.

Gorilla Glass II has served me wonderfully for over a year with my htc evo 4g lte (until the phone itself died...), I've dropped that phone many many times and there was no damage at all to the screen, when it broke and wouldn't stop vibrating, I even threw it like 30 feet into the air and it landed on dirt (with some rocks and such below it too) and escaped without any damage, not a single scratch or crack.

I'd really like to see this turtle glass compared to gorilla glass 4 or whatever the newest one is :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Seriously why the heck do we need a strong ass glass ?!

Because people don't know how to hold things and drop their phones all over the place.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've never scratched the glass on a phone. And I've never used a screen protector (aside from the one integrated on my rugged case for my Note 3 that I only use when outside in the winter). Only items higher than a "6" on Mohs Scale will scratch Gorilla Glass (which rates a 6-6.5, depending on the model and batch), which means you are in contact with a lot of hard items ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

technin.jpg

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I wonder just how good it is if it better than Gorilla glass, which is pretty sturdy. Will be interesting to see the results of a comparison! :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I've never scratched the glass on a phone. And I've never used a screen protector (aside from the one integrated on my rugged case for my Note 3 that I only use when outside in the winter). Only items higher than a "6" on Mohs Scale will scratch Gorilla Glass (which rates a 6-6.5, depending on the model and batch), which means you are in contact with a lot of hard items ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

*snip*

Gorilla glass is 6-6.5?

Unfortunatly for you, quartz is 7/7.5, and since quartz is a major component of sand, I wouldn't be so sure about them hard items you are having encounters with ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But on a serious note, Gorilla Glass gets rekt by sand and I've seen phones full of micro-scratches due to it ( live at the coast in the Netherland, so lots of sand here :P )

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: ASUS GTX970 STRIX
Powermathingy: Corsair AX760
Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Blue
Procrastinator: Intel i5 3570K (stock)
Holdametalicizor: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Noisoundacreator: Sennheiser HD 558
Attatchamajiggy: MSI Z77A-G45 (SUCKS)
Remembrerthing: 750GB Samsung 840 EVO (3x250GB)
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Iiyama craptron 2000
See-A-Move-O: Corsair M45
ButtonBoard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Browns)

Gorilla glass is 6-6.5?

Unfortunatly for you, quartz is 7/7.5, and since quartz is a major component of sand, I wouldn't be so sure about them hard items you are having encounters with ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But on a serious note, Gorilla Glass gets rekt by sand and I've seen phones full of micro-scratches due to it ( live at the coast in the Netherland, so lots of sand here :P )

Can't say I've rolled my phone in sand before

This also isn't saying that brushing sand over your phone screen will scratch it. You have to use SOME force.

The most common way for people to scratch their phones is actually through ear jewelry. Many people wear diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, etc., and fortunately for my phone, I not only use a Bluetooth headset, but I also only wear silicon tunnels as ear jewelry.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I drop my phone. Another chip gets taken out of it. The screen remains indestructible and the phone Nokia tough (Its a Sony Ericson K750i).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The question should really be: how good of a soup can you make out of it?

*drools at the thought of turtle soup*

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Can't say I've rolled my phone in sand before

This also isn't saying that brushing sand over your phone screen will scratch it. You have to use SOME force.

The most common way for people to scratch their phones is actually through ear jewelry. Many people wear diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, etc., and fortunately for my phone, I not only use a Bluetooth headset, but I also only wear silicon tunnels as ear jewelry.

Yeah, most of the time I see scratches from sand people either wear skinny jeans and put their phones in their pockets ( horrible though ) or they literally put their phone under their towel and sit on it as a anti theft measure.... Not the brightest idea :P

Specs:

Yeah, most of the time I see scratches from sand people either wear skinny jeans and put their phones in their pockets ( horrible though ) or they literally put their phone under their towel and sit on it as a anti theft measure.... Not the brightest idea :P

Not at all.

Speaking of skinny jeans and pockets, how in the hell do people ruin their cases and claim it's from taking their phone out of/putting it in their pocket? I wear some damn tight skinny jeans (in that area at least, cant be too tight in the calf area because I've got large calves) and am constantly removing and replacing my phone. No damage to cases. Ever. (Sort of drops and scratching/cracking them that way). I just don't get it.

Not at all.

Speaking of skinny jeans and pockets, how in the hell do people ruin their cases and claim it's from taking their phone out of/putting it in their pocket? I wear some damn tight skinny jeans (in that area at least, cant be too tight in the calf area because I've got large calves) and am constantly removing and replacing my phone. No damage to cases. Ever. (Sort of drops and scratching/cracking them that way). I just don't get it.

I assume it's not from the skinny jeans itself, but it happens when people aren't carefull and bump into stuff. In regular pockets the phone just moves around and nothing happens. In skinnies I assume that because they are packed tightly against your legs the phone absorbs the shock and breaks/cracks.

Or people just say it's caused by their jeans due to warranty but they are actually too ashamed to admit they dropped it or something. I always find it funny how on an anonymous service like the Internet people are even more reluctant to share their failures than in real life or on Facebook, where they aren't anonymous.

Specs:

Look at specific angle in direct sunlight in really sunny day. I'm sure you'll find some micro scratches .

Turtle. Seriously. Out of all the animals in the world they landed on turtle to promote its strength? WTF! where is my Rhino glass samsung?!

Turtle. Seriously. Out of all the animals in the world they landed on turtle to promote its strength? WTF! where is my Rhino glass samsung?!

Turtle shell is really strong? And ivory from the rhino is not that strong?

But why are we even debating? We all know what we really want is Phantom Glass, the last damn screen protector we'll ever need!

Specs:

Turtle shell is really strong? And ivory from the rhino is not that strong?

But why are we even debating? We all know what we really want is Phantom Glass, the last damn screen protector we'll ever need!

I wasn't talking about it in the sense of material strength but overall body strength. They could do some really cool ads to promote rhino glass as well.

i dont drop my phones...

What? haha nobody does it on purpose, you could go 10 years and never drop a phone. but when you do and it breaks you would be happy to have stronger glass

Thats like me saying "I dont need airbags I dont crash my car" but it could still happen

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yep awesome :) never gonna complain about better glass.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Ha, my teeth will scratch it then lol (replaced my top row with zircon due to an accident)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

All you guys who don't want stronger glass - you may not want it now, but it only takes one drop.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I'm all for more hats in the ring but I really don't know how Samsung is going to beat a company like Corning, who's been doing glass for so long.

It would lower their costs though, so I get why they're doing it.

Why not?

Because people don't know how to hold things and drop their phones all over the place.

Except GG doesn't really help protect your phone from drops...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I'm all for more hats in the ring but I really don't know how Samsung is going to beat a company like Corning, who's been doing glass for so long.

It would lower their costs though, so I get why they're doing it.

Why not?

Except GG doesn't really help protect your phone from drops...

The stronger the screen, the lower the chance of the screen shattering when the phone is dropped.. also helps keep the screen from getting scratched.

People with trust issues...

(⌐■_■)