Retail AMD Fury X Sound Testing - Pump Whine Investigation by PCPerspective

BiG StroOnZ

Yes, sound wasn't it's problem. But it violates ATX specifications, and a couple of other things (sig)

i prefer amd doing that and making people do some research instead of just gimping the card like nvidia did

Why didn't they make a variable pump speed for idle usage. Boggles the mind how they can be so incompetent.

I'm really starting to despise AMD for their attitude. They keep sweeping shit under the rug, instead of playing it straight. 295X was a piece of shit aswell. And the 200 series cards in general throttled on their reference designs. Why do they deceive their consumerbase like this...

Maybe the Cooler Master unit cannot do that? Not sure what you mean about the 295x2. That was a beast of a card, that is still above all other cards in benchmarks. The Asetek coolers in that, was really good. Same used in Corsair AIO's.

The 290 series reference coolers were shit. I think AMD learned from that.

i thought the r9 295x2 cooler was pretty quiet or at least quieter than titan z

It was superior in every way to the Titan Z. But that was an Asetek unit. Fury X uses a Cooler Master unit. That was a mistake.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just curious, how did it violate ATX specifications? 

i think hes talking about the power draw on the 8 pin connectors

Maybe the Cooler Master unit cannot do that? Not sure what you mean about the 295x2. That was a beast of a card, that is still above all other cards in benchmarks. The Asetek coolers in that, was really good. Same used in Corsair AIO's.

It was superior in every way to the Titan Z. But that was an Asetek unit. Fury X uses a Cooler Master unit. That was a mistake.

they should have stuck with asetek. why change companies when one has served you well

they should have stuck with asetek. why change companies when one has served you well

Sure CM made them an offer they couldn't refuse. They should have. Then again, we don't know if Asetek could or would make that special copper mosfet cooler, as part of the AIO. Maybe their required price was too high for that.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

They have a bad reputation for failing and maybe CM was cheaper ?

One day these kids will grow up, if not they're only limiting their own opportunities and experiences.

I wish they would but some people stay fanboys for ever.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ha, I knew they weren't 'fixing' shit. You could tell from the language of their original reply RE: noise concerns that whoever answered the question made it up on the spot.

That said, I still want one.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Drawing >500W over connectors rated at max 375. (2x150W and 75W from PCI-E). Also the VRM's running extremely hot, though that's not really an ATX specification.

Not sure what you mean about the 295x2. That was a beast of a card, that is still above all other cards in benchmarks.

Yes it's a fast card, when crossfire works. But it's a bad product. Just like the Fury X is a fast card, but also a poor product (cue this topic).

By not releasing them anymore? Don't think there is a 390X reference.

Apparently it can draw more than 500 (up to 600W) of power, even though the specifications only allow for 375 (2x150W (2x8pin) + 75W (PCI-e power)). Stolen from/more info at http://www.overclock.net/t/1480569/amd-r9-295x2-power-requirements-warning

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

but it is sort of unfair to blame it all on amd they must have thought cooler master makes some good cpu coolers so what could go wrong. then they were sent one and were like oh shit 

I should repeat that in the report, AMD specifically mentioned that the previous claim of a fix was "only a miscommunication". Does that sound familiar to anybody?

I have gotten so sick and god damn tired of people claiming "double-standards" of other people and then defending nonsense like this.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

but it is sort of unfair to blame it all on amd they must have thought cooler master makes some good cpu coolers so what could go wrong. then they were sent one and were like oh shit

It's AMD fault, they used CM and they should've quality checked them and they also said retail Fury X shouldn't have this problem but what do you know they do have this whine.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Oh c'mon, stop apologizing. Who thought it was ready for shipping and had supervision over the product and it's design? Cooler Master or AMD. 

Yeah.

They have a bad reputation for failing and maybe CM was cheaper ?

I wish they would but some people stay fanboys for ever.

The forums would be a much nicer place if they would.  However in the long run the only person who loses out when you lie to yourself is yourself. It is a dangerous circular trap.

Please,  they designed it, tested it, approved it.  You can't say it's not their fault they ordered a second rate cooler that didn't perform satisfactorily and then still signed it off and released it for sale.  They could have easily sent the cooler back and replaced it with a better unit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's AMD fault, they used CM and they should've quality checked them and they also said retail Fury X shouldn't have this problem but what do you know they do have this whine.

This is the first thing that came to my mind, "quality assurance"

I should repeat that in the report, AMD specifically mentioned that the previous claim of a fix was "only a miscommunication". Does that sound familiar to anybody?

I have gotten so sick and god damn tired of people claiming "double-standards" of other people and then defending nonsense like this.

If you go through PcPer comments you will see one of the writers saying AMD didn't respond to them and they didn't try to clear the misinformation unlike Nvidia that responds as fast as they can ( immediately ) and clears things up.

I think AMD just fucking lied and them calling miscommunication is b.s.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

If you go through PcPer comments you will see one of the writers saying AMD didn't respond to them and they didn't try to clear the misinformation unlike Nvidia that responds as fast as they can ( immediately ) and clears things up.

maybe they found out that they cant solve the problem so they said they can and thats a miscommunication 

note i am slightly playing devils advocate here

unlike Nvidia that responds as fast as they can ( immediately ) and clears things up.

Admittedly reluctant. But that's understandable, since they had to disclose information they weren't too keen on sharing with their competitor no doubt...

But i'm not really apologizing for what they did, but they at the very least admitted to the problem. Instead of sweeping it under the rug like AMD does. And AMD keeps getting away with it because of their underdog "good guy" karma.

maybe they found out that they cant solve the problem so they said they can and thats a miscommunication 

And maybe if you believe just hard enough, Jesus Christ himself will descend back to earth and solve all our world problems.

Again repeating from the master thread; this pretty much throws the "AMD is an honest company and pushes the industry" PR spin right out the window.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

They should've have told them they can if they didn't know aka they lied.

Admittedly reluctant. But that's understandable, since they had to disclose information they weren't too keen on sharing with their competitor no doubt...

Sorry but can you like explain ? I'm seriously lost in your comment.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

No. When you say "It's already fixed in the retail cards" that means you claimed you already fixed it. To say "welp, we couldn't fix it" after saying you did, it makes you look like a liar.

It's a design flaw, an oversight, and some people will be annoyed by it. Is it the end of the world? No. Though it only adds more fire to the fanboy wars. I could care less. I'll just wait for new ones to be released, people RMA their current cards, and then ill snatch a cheap refurb Fury X and wear headphones  B)

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Again repeating from the master thread; this pretty much throws out the "AMD is an honest company and pushes the industry" PR spin right out the window.

Quick Assemble the AMD defense brigade.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Clearly the Fury X only has a 3.5 cooler on it.  :P:ph34r:

Again repeating from the master thread; this pretty much throws out the "AMD is an honest company and pushes the industry" PR spin right out the window.

No such thing as an honest company, never has been and never will be.  Anyone who believed AMD was the Gamers saving Angel of grace is a gullible fool easily sucked into marketing rubbish.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

People should learn that no company is ever honest and they will try to do anything to make money.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

well i hope this teaches them not to accept offers for cheap coolers in the future