can Intel's Iris PRO inside Broadwell be a low-end discrete video card killer?

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169-4.html / http://www.anandtech.com/show/9320/intel-broadwell-review-i7-5775c-i5-5765c

BDW-H-Map_575px.png

^ that's a really big silicon dedicated to the IGP alone; hell .. it's just as big as the CPU

the benchmarks:

14-IGP-Bioshock-Infinite.png

15-IGP-Half-Life-2.png

17-IGP-GTA-V.png

74938.png

74939.png

74940.png

74941.png

74942.png

74943.png

74944.png

74945.png

Bottom Line

AMD’s APUs do suffer the lower IPC throughput of their host processing architectures. However, Iris Pro 6200 is still significantly faster than any integrated graphics solution that we’ve ever tested, even without help from the Broadwell architecture's efficient x86 cores. Sure, the delta would shrink if we were testing lower-clocked CPUs. But there's just no way around it: the ball is in AMD's court now.

Conclusions on Low-End Graphics

The results of our look at iGPU gaming are clear: Broadwell-DT takes the iGPU performance crown from AMD's APUs. The advantage will vary with the game, but with an average lead of 20% and never once falling behind AMD's APUs, the i5-5675C and its Iris Pro 6200 are clearly the faster option. Ultimately nothing here should be a surprise to AMD - what's changed is not the existence of Iris Pro, but rather the fact that it now comes in a socketed form factor - but for system builders this represents a new option for building a system driven solely by its iGPU.

That said, with a price tag around 2x the cost of AMD's best APU, this is a very expensive way to get another 20%. Combining another CPU with a discrete GPU is almost certainly going to be a better option as far as cost effectiveness goes. But as far as integrated GPUs go Intel does hold the top position.

---

this will seriously put the hurt on AMD APUs; also the low end discrete graphic cards from both nVidia and AMD will likely become obsolete

looks like it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

amazing, GG intel- this will make some mean ultrabooks and tablets!! :D

AMD really are fucked right now.. intels GPU beats their APUs, and their new GPUs are not going to beat t he 980ti/Titan X (rumoured)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wow we could be seeing a new generation of budget builds. You could probably bump that GTA v up to 1080p if it's getting over 100 FPS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Wow we could be seeing a new generation of budget builds. You could probably bump that GTA v up to 1080p if it's getting over 100 FPS

Probably not quite. The Minimum FPS is still pretty low at 720p and the jump to 1080p is quite large. Still it's very impressive for a iGPU to do this. 

Now, Intel's drivers are much better than they used to be however, they don't update their drivers for the latest games as often as nvidia or amd. Think of how much better it would be if Intel got serious with their drivers. I wonder how image quay compares to AMD, who is known for having the best image quality.

That Intel chip is probably over double the price of the A-10s.

Yeah. A10-7850K is $125, the Core i5-5675C is $275. Now, an A10-7850K with a $150 GPU can't beat the 5675C in every scenario, but it will definitely crush it in most games. It's even worse if you take an Athlon x4 860K (same CPU cores) for $75 with a $200 GPU. And you can do the same thing with an Intel CPU, like a $110 Core i3 with a $165 GPU.

What ? Is this real ? It's damn time intel gets better integrated graphics , since most of the die is gpu anyway

No, the $275 price tag on the Core i5-5675C ruins the value proposition vs. a cheap Core i3 + dedicated GPU.

Umm, a core i3 comes in at some 140€. any serious GPU comes in at 150 or more. So you get a higher price. this way, you take an i5 with 4 real cores and a great IGPU and later upgrade (if you feel the need) to an x60 or higher class

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Yeah. A10-7850K is $125, the Core i5-5675C is $275. Now, an A10-7850K with a $150 GPU can't beat the 5675C in every scenario, but it will definitely crush it in most games. It's even worse if you take an Athlon x4 860K (same CPU cores) for $75 with a $200 GPU. And you can do the same thing with an Intel CPU, like a $110 Core i3 with a $165 GPU.

You can't put an discrete card in a NUC size pc , or really small form factor PCs for gamestreaming 

Umm, a core i3 comes in at some 140€. any serious GPU comes in at 150 or more. So you get a higher price. this way, you take an i5 with 4 real cores and a great IGPU and later upgrade (if you feel the need) to an x60 or higher class

Why are you comparing EU prices with US prices?

Here, a Core i3-4160 for $109. From two different retailers at that.

Any "serious" GPU depends how you define "serious". But what matters is what can match or outperform the integrated GPU in the Core i5-5675C. As we can see in the Tom's Hardware review, a GTX 750 (not Ti) outperforms it. A GTX 750 can be had for $80, though that is after a $15 rebate. So you can get superior gaming performance for $190 ($205 before rebate), instead of the $275 Intel want for the Core i5-5675C. And if you scale up to a more "serious" dedicated GPU, well then the performance gap just widens considerably.

That much better than 4870?
I ran Crysis on Very High with that one.. (on 1440x900)

Go Intel!

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Considering the price of an i5 compaited to say an Athlon 860k with a low end GPU idk this might be worth the buy

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Why are you comparing EU prices with US prices?

Here, a Core i3-4160 for $109. From two different retailers at that.

Any "serious" GPU depends how you define "serious". But what matters is what can match or outperform the integrated GPU in the Core i5-5675C. As we can see in the Tom's Hardware review, a GTX 750 (not Ti) outperforms it. A GTX 750 can be had for $80, though that is after a $15 rebate. So you can get superior gaming performance for $190 ($205 before rebate), instead of the $275 Intel want for the Core i5-5675C. And if you scale up to a more "serious" dedicated GPU, well then the performance gap just widens considerably.

Yes that is cheaper. but the Core i5 is an integrated one chip solution, with a TDP of 65W. So it is

1. much cooler
  2. less complex system wise
  3. faster in CPU related tasks
  4. smaller

And if any of those matter to you (to me it matters since i can put this into a NUC size chassis and have desktop performance) it is a much better buy. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Yes that is cheaper. but the Core i5 is an integrated one chip solution, with a TDP of 65W. So it is

• much cooler
  • less complex system wise
  • faster in CPU related tasks
  • smaller
And if any of those matter to you (to me it matters since i can put this into a NUC size chassis and have desktop performance) it is a much better buy.
Have to agree with this, simplicity trumps. Also it leaves you with a way better upgrade path.

Wow @ GTA V. Amazing!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1. much cooler
  2. less complex system wise
  3. faster in CPU related tasks
  4. smaller

1. No, because all the heat is crammed into one chip instead of two.

2. Doesn't matter, AFAIK it's not even HSA compliant.

3. Yeah, but GPU performance is more important in this context. For GPU-agnostic usage, a cheaper Core i5-4690K would be superior.

4. That's the only real advantage, and it doesn't apply for most people.

Bear in mind the headline asks whether this will end low-end discrete cards. Given the market those cards cater to, the answer is an obvious no. But it is a strong offering for a particular SFF niche.

Iris Pro+DX12 or Vulkan=death of anything below a $100 card.

Ye ole' train

Wow... then a i5 5675C makes a lot of sense

This is a signature.

1. No, because all the heat is crammed into one chip instead of two.

2. Doesn't matter, AFAIK it's not even HSA compliant.

3. Yeah, but GPU performance is more important in this context. For GPU-agnostic usage, a cheaper Core i5-4690K would be superior.

4. That's the only real advantage, and it doesn't apply for most people.

Bear in mind the headline asks whether this will end low-end discrete cards. Given the market those cards cater to, the answer is an obvious no. But it is a strong offering for a particular SFF niche.

1. doesnt matter if its one chip or two, 65W requires less cooling capability than 100W in any case.
  2. HSA has nothing to do with it, you still dont need another chip attached via PCIe and a more powerful PSU
  3. its not more important for everyone, and if GPU performance is important, its better to have a 4 core i5 and upgrade later, than to have a 2c/4t i3 with a silly 750(ti)
  4. or so you think. smaller systems are the future for 90% of the consumers intel is targeting their Core CPUs to. we enthusiasts who want 5GHz 18 core monsters are a vast minority.

3. its not more important for everyone, and if GPU performance is important, its better to have a 4 core i5 and upgrade later, than to have a 2c/4t i3 with a silly 750(ti)

4. or so you think. smaller systems are the future for 90% of the consumers intel is targeting their Core CPUs to. we enthusiasts who want 5GHz 18 core monsters are a vast minority.

You got it ;)

This is a signature.