Microsoft reveals Windows 10 Editions

GoodBytes

Microsoft reveals Windows 10 editions that will be released once the OS is, well, released.

Windows 10 Home

-> Consumer oriented. Be on most PCs sold to consumers.

-> It will feature Windows Hello feature (compatibility hardware needed to use it)

Windows 10 Pro

-> Designed for small and medium size companies

-> Equivalent to Windows 8 Pro. That means Hyper-V support, remote desktop host, joining a domain, Group Policy editor, etc.

-> Take advantage of the Windows Update for Business. New update model which wont' wait for Tuesday for patches, but released as they are completed.

-> Feature Choose Your Own Device system. That is a system that makes employees allow them to go to a store and buy any Windows 10 Pro PC of their liking, and all they need to do is login at the company, when firstly starting it up, with their company account credentials, and Windows Server will upload to the system all the company software, install them, configure them, and set all the accoutn policies, then login. IT has to do nothing.

Windows 10 Mobile

-> Smartphones

-> Small tablets

-> Touch-optimized version of Office is included

-> Continuum feature is there, like all editions of Windows. So plug a monitor, and boom desktop.

Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

-> Same as above, but feature enterprise features, such as managing update by companies, and locking to certain apps accessible in the app store.

Windows 10 Enterprise

-> Similar to Windows 8 Enterprise

-> Volume licensing

Windows 10 Education

-> Builds on Windows 10 Enterprise

-> designed to meet the needs of schools

-> Academic Volume Licensing available

Windows 10 IoT

-> Embedded systems, Point Of Sales, etc.

-> Separates in sub editions, as usual, based on the system

For us consumers, as always, we will access 2 main edition: Home and Pro, and this is what we will see in the store shelves and so on. With the exception with devices lie the Raspberry Pi, where you can get IoT Core edition for free.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/

do you have a official release date of windows 10

This would be nice

-> Continuum feature is there, like all editions of Windows. So plug a monitor, and boom desktop.

Not really full windows, but hey. Still nice.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Sweet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oh saw this on Verge. I wonder about the education edition, it says on the site it's just an updated version of home. But what does Academic Volume Licensing available mean? Will we get discounts for some licenses like Wolfram Alpha?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Heyyo,

Meh, I'm fine with Windows 10 Home. I know that the Windows 10 Insider Preview version is Pro, but I don't need Hyper-V support and the likes. :P

PC Gaming is going to be so awesome with DirectX 12 as long as it delivers what Microsoft promises. So excited! Multi-GPU done right finally in the Direct3D API!

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Oh saw this on Verge. I wonder about the education edition, it says on the site it's just an updated version of home. But what does Academic Volume Licensing available mean? Will we get discounts for some licenses like Wolfram Alpha?

Its for schools that need 100+ copies of Windows, at a better price. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Can't wait to try out windows 10. Though it's fundamentally just windows, I shouldn't really be blown away. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Oh. Home it is then.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So nothing really new.

We still have the core, core pro, enterprise, and embedded version skews.

I'm wondering how the edu skew is going to work? I'm wondering if Enterprise VL keys will activate the edu skews since they are more or less the same skew family.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So, if I have 8.1 Pro, do I get 10 Pro for free?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

So, if I have 8.1 Pro, do I get 10 Pro for free?

You do. Your current skew should transfer when you upgrade.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Do we already know what version you get when upgrading from 7 ultimate?

The upgrade path from 8 => 10 is pretty clear, but I haven't been able to find any info on 7=>10

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

The upgrade path from 8 => 10 is pretty clear, but I haven't been able to find any info on 7=>10

The Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate skews both upgrade to Windows 8/10 core-pro skews.

on 7 it should be like this

w7 starter = not upgradeable

w7 home basic and premium = w10 home

w7 pro and ultimate = w10 pro

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

y guess: Either Pro or more likely the Business version.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

What about new builds any idea on price for theses

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

do you have a official release date of windows 10

Nope. Nothing is said yet.

yup my uni has partnered with other uni's and in doing so they went into a bargaining agreement with most of the significant software needed - talking 1000's of copies

Its all about those volumetric clouds

What about new builds any idea on price for theses

No sorry. But a new build with the missing feature of Build and Ignite event is expected.

My guess is that win10 will be released in end of July. There is a lot of things to do still.

well, lets hope they mean that you can keep your version, so win 8.1 pro to win 10 pro

As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Wonder if my Windows 8.1 Pro copy will get a free upgrade to 10 pro or just 10 home?

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit