US nuclear fears block Intel China supercomputer update

TwistedDictator
"The US government has refused to let Intel help China update the world's biggest supercomputer.

Intel applied for a licence to export tens of thousands of chips to update the Tianhe-2 computer.

The Department of Commerce refused, saying it was concerned about nuclear research being done with the machine. "

Source

"Ah yes, the land of the free and of opportunity."

"I always find it strange when the US says that other countries aren't allowed to persue nuclear technology. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the US the only nation in the world who has actually used a nuclear weapon on another country? What gives them the right to make that decision... ?"

Forget the nukes. Intel shouldn't help America because of all their internet cyber attacks ... or their human rights violations ... or their horrible pollution record ... or (well, you get the picture).

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Source

Forget the nukes. Intel shouldn't help America because of all their internet cyber attacks ... or their human rights violations ... or their horrible pollution record ... or (well, you get the picture).

#merica

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

You mean like the nuclear research we do....

Source

why do you need a super computer anyway to make a nuke. we make our first few without that.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Source

"Ah yes, the land of the free and of opportunity."

"I always find it strange when the US says that other countries aren't allowed to persue nuclear technology. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the US the only nation in the world who has actually used a nuclear weapon on another country? What gives them the right to make that decision... ?"

Meanwhile, we're basically going to allow Iran to get them. A nation that has outright stated that their goal is to annihilate another nation, and commit total genocide.

And honestly, what does us having used an atomic device on another nation actually have to do with anything? Yes, we've done it, yes it was terrible, despite the fact that it ended the war early, and prevented millions of deaths that would have resulted from an attempted invasion of the Japanese home islands. It was still terrible, but try having some perspective rather than just saying "you used it, dat means you can't tell anyone what to do!"

I distrust China, they're not really a good country, neither are we, but still. Although I agree....what does a super computer have to do with nuclear weapons?

Anyways, I'm out. I don't wish to further participate in another "h8 on murica" childish discussion with people who have little to no historical context.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

why do you need a super computer anyway to make a nuke. we make our first few without that.

Key word "reaserch"...

I think you mean "Intel shouldn't help China".

Also, we dropped the first bomb and set off a 50-year-long arms race that was genuinely terrifying to people. The vast majority of the world is behind nuclear non-proliferation.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I hate america only because they think that war should ended that way.

You mean like the nuclear research we do....

Nuclear reaction simulations. they can run test on all sorts of better designs with out having to test them in real life. and to play crysis.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yeah, and in the meanwhile the US has the largest stash of nuclear weaponry in the world, enough to pulverize the planet multiple times over. With Russia being in second place and still having enough to reduce everything to little dust bits. And on top of that, they already HAVE the world's fastest supercomputer. If they wanted to do nuclear research on it they already could, easily. Hell, project Manhattan happened WITHOUT computers, imagine what they could have done with a millionth of this thing's performance. Gtfo department of commerce.

I think you meant China? If so, it won't get better by itself... as long as the "help" doesn't go towards making it worse it can only be welcome, right?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well is the US this isn't surprising at all

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

I hate america only because they think that war should ended that way.

Even though pretty much every estimate puts an invasion of Japan as much much more costly to human life...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

i mean are bombs aren't even the biggest....

*cough* Russia *cough*

China advancing their nuclear capabilities could worry South Korea, Japan, and Australia enough for them to pursue their own nuclear deterrent, and no one wants an arms race in east Asia. While India already has their own nuclear weapons, it could also upset the balance of power there as well.

Nuclear proliferation isn't really the place to worry about how "unfair" the U.S. government is, in my opinion.

Personally I think that America and Japan are really the only two nations that really have a true understanding of the power of nuclear weapons. They both have a unique perspective that no other nation has. One having seen the horror of deploying such a weapon, and one having seen the horror of being on the receiving end of such a weapon.

Also everyone talking about how America is the only country to drop the bomb... There is literally no question that an invasion of Japan would have cost untold multiple more lives on both sides compared to those lost in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Was it terrible and horrifying? Yes. But it still saved lives compared to an invasion. Also, the rules of engagement in WW2 were much different compared to now. Bombing of civilian centers and industrial areas were common practice. Both allied and axis forces would regularly carpet bomb cities during the war back then.

Personally, I'm glad that the Americans avoid as much collateral damage as they do in modern times. Could this still be improved? Yes, of course. But it is still an improvement from that era none the less.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Maybe anti hacking war next to not allowing them resources for nuclear war simulations and defense. At the end of the day they will only make China more focused on their own chip production, harm Intel and in time drive away investments and big corporations that are not in the war and oil business.

This is talking about the US govement recstring companys. Mine is talking about Intel and the reason why the blocked intel from selling to china.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

It probably helps with the nuclear simulations and stuff. Also, it doesn't have to be related to nukes. Maybe it is just a "fuck you" message to China. Like the embargo the EU imposed to Russia because of the incidents in Ukraine.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)