U.S. Government Restricting Supercomputer Chip Exports To China

ahhming

Four technical centers in China that are associated with the Tianhe-2, the world’s most powerful supercomputer, were put on a list of restrictions by the U.S. government. According to the WSJ, the reason given is because these centers are acting “contrary to U.S. national security or foreign-policy interests”.

The Tianhe-2 and the Tianhe-1A are both "believed to be used in nuclear explosive activities," according to a notice posted by the U.S. Commerce Department on February 18. However, designers for the Tianhe-2 said that the supercomputer is used for scientific research such as genome research.

The Tianhe-2 supercomputer uses mainstream server chips from Intel, so it’s hard to believe China couldn’t find another way to gets its hands on those chips, without having the four technical centers directly involved in acquiring those chips.

The real reason could be that China has also increased its restrictions and demands for U.S. companies lately. One of the more recent demands is requiring companies to allow access to their software source code in order for the Chinese government to verify it for backdoors. The demand also includes adding ways to monitor their users and handing the government the private keys to encryption. U.S. companies along with the White House have decried the new requirements as invasive.

Chinese companies already use architecture licenses for ARM or MIPS to build their own chips. Even if both ARM and Imagination were also banned by the UK government from licensing their architectures out to China, Chinese companies would still be able to keep the previous designs and continue to build on them.

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/supercomputer-chip-exports-restricted-china,28908.html#xtor=RSS-181

This is hardly anything new.  Advanced hard has always been restricted and encryption software and methods used to also be restricted.

Well those other actions by China are stupid, but understandable, and this reaction of the US is stupid and also understandable.....

Just stop spying on eachother and trying to blow shit up, the world would be a better place.

(Also, isn't simulation nuclear explosions better than carrying them out for tests :P

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

If it was one government for all and mankind was united working together to make the world a better place we could share everything and not have restrictions like this.  Oh well.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Will this is something new.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

do u think china gives an F if they got blocked by every Chip vendor

did everyone forget about openSPARC they can do what Fujitsu did with it

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137342/fujitsu-unveils-world-s-fastest-cpu

u also have shenWei

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The real question is if Nvidia/Intel will be able to sell them GPGPU/Xeon Phi. The CPU only make a small portion of the capability anyway. They could use any ARM/MIPS/SPARC core they want.

If it was one government for all and mankind was united working together to make the world a better place we could share everything and not have restrictions like this. Oh well.

Nazi era Germany tried to do that, but their plan included killing everyone else and they did not succeed because America.

Nazi era Germany tried to do that, but their plan included killing everyone else and they did not succeed because America.

Don't compare what I want to do and what some others want to do to what Nazis did.  What they wanted to do was only have blonde haired, blue eyed people eventually left to rule the world and had other crazy ideas that I do not support.  Now would I kill to have one government, no commerce, tougher sentences on crime, etc.?  Yes I would.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So now they can't have technology advancements because of fear mongering? How do we expect third world countries or the like to "evolve" if we keep restricting what could help them achieve it? Am I misunderstanding this article? :huh:

I just don't understand this world any more.

If it was one government for all and mankind was united working together to make the world a better place we could share everything and not have restrictions like this.  Oh well.

I would rather not have A One World Order, thank you, because realistically nothing good can come from it so it itself would be a horrible idea.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Oh you silly silly Americans and your illusions about who won the second world war

1414734035244.png

My ideas exactly man. This needs to happen for the sake of humanity :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Oh you silly silly Americans and your illusions about who won the second world war

Wait, you think Germany and Japan won WW2?

Please elaborate.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Wait, you think Germany and Japan won WW2?

Please elaborate.

Russia. 

Doesn't really matter who won, Poland as always was f*cked.

Russia.

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood your post. :)

Edit: not your post lol

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well it's not like their government isn't mature enough to handle nukes in their arsenals  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Please elaborate.

Russia. 

Indeed ruassia won the war.

Btw, kek reply Kacper.