What is a tech trend going on right now that you just don't understand?

For me, I just don't at all understand the whole wearable trend. I don't understand why anyone would ever need to have a device on their wrist that does less than their phone. I almost always have my phone in my pocket so unless it can do something new and exciting then I don't understand it's value. I think having something that looks decent and acts as a heart rate monitor would be alright, but we just simply don't have the battery density to be able to power something like that for any reasonable amount of time with the added watch functions and screen added in.

The trend that I do subscribe to, though, is the whole cloud movement and VDI. I believe that everyone should be moving to hosted solutions with thin clients. It pains me to say this because I very much enjoy system building, but I think it is ultimately the way the market will head. We really aren't that far away from ubiquitous access to the internet with elon musk's satellite system and google bloons and the already existing LTE network we have that can transfer more data than most peoples home networks anyway.

Virtual Reality to be honest.

I just dont want it and dont see it happening that soon...

And also voice stuff. Siri, Google Now, talking to your microwave, to your oven... No, that's not convenient IMO...

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I might get crucified for this, but I really don't see a future for the oculus rift either. Until they are able to do something that doesnt require a clunky device strapped to your head I don't see it really going anywhere. It's a cool idea and might give you a nice experience, but the amount of people who are actually going to put something like that on their face and game for hours and hours is a very small minority no matter what price point it's at

But...I want to say "Computer...make me breakfast"

And then it mishears you and says something like

"Sending browser history to MOM"

And you're like "NOOOOOOO!" and then it sends. RIP IN PEPPERONIS.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

To be rather honest the whole "Tech" (referring to computers/phones/software etc) companies being worth astronomical amounts of money and then software companies being worth even more trend, is getting a bit odd. 

I'm just curious to see how it crashes. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Smart tvs.

Seems like a waste of money to implement, let alone to invest in. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

All the Drones hype, Oculus rift and similar VR things and huge screen smartphones appeal are a mystery for me...

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

SNIP

(Edit - this is also aimed at anybody who says smart watch  just my thoughts on the concept)

See if we have hosted computing, you no longer need a pc or smartphone so why not just have a watch

your smart watch could be your entire system, as you sit at your desk your smart watch logs you into your system, and wirelessly connects to your keyboard and mouse, can also send movies to your tv etc etc

The only reasons smart watches/wearables are held back at the moment are that the tech is still in its infancy, things will get better, some of us just want to be on bleeding edge

Personally I want a smart watch because I LOVE gadgets, even if they are pointless to me, I like to mess around with interesting new pieces of tech

I mean. I ALWAYS wear a watch, every day, without fail, so why cant it control my phone, show notifications, GPS maps when walking around, mayble some games or interesting watch faces, check the weather etc 

its a convenience thing, more than a necessity, but why is that a problem, I have a laptop to use for convenience when I cannot use my PC, that is what I think about wearables, not forgetting added functionality such as fitness tracking like you said - sure battery is not there NOW, but it might be in the future - its early days, we said the same about pcs, same about tablets, but the landscape changes as the tech improves

Anyway, I know this thread is not about discussion necessarily, just thought I would sum up some thought

PERSONALLY, I can't really think of any tech trends that I don't understand myself

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And then it mishears you and says something like

"Sending browser history to MOM"

And you're like "NOOOOOOO!" and then it sends. RIP IN PEPPERONIS.

Psh, has browser history actually been a problem since the invention of incognito modes?

Psh, has browser history actually been a problem since the invention of incognito modes?

Hey, how else would you keep your research, if you know what I mean

if_you_know_what_i_mean_127_by_zeflyingm

~Snip~

I don't have a problem with wearables, just smartwatches, I think that smart-glasses like the Hololens and Glass are the way of the future, simple because I see more of a point in it, you can have a HUD in real life, whereas smartwatches are basically just a phone strapped to your wrist (which I'm sure you could do already)

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I don't have a problem with wearables, just smartwatches, I think that smart-glasses like the Hololens and Glass are the way of the future, simple because I see more of a point in it, you can have a HUD in real life, whereas smartwatches are basically just a phone strapped to your wrist (which I'm sure you could do already)

But the point is, in the future, imagine having just a smart watch, and a pair of HUD glasses - no clunky phone to carry around, your watch is your entire PC, it powers everything you have on, and is your way of interacting with it

As I say, lots of people wear watches anyway, I  dont leave the house without one, and I own quite a few, some of which ,a are WAY more expensive than a smart watch anyway

having extra functionality, makes more sense, if it means having empty pockets too, then even better!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-snip-

Pretty much, I don't understand that or Apple at all. I get smartwatches mainly, the heartrate tracking is great but battery life is awful on most.

Why people would buy the Xbone or PS4, Wii-U FTW.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

But the point is, in the future, imagine having just a smart watch, and a pair of HUD glasses - no clunky phone to carry around, your watch is your entire PC, it powers everything you have on, and is your way of interacting with it

As I say, lots of people wear watches anyway, I  dont leave the house without one, and I own quite a few, some of which ,a are WAY more expensive than a smart watch anyway

having extra functionality, makes more sense, if it means having empty pockets too, then even better!

But what's the point in having a smartwatch if you have smartglasses? The smartglasses make the smartwatch obsolete

But what's the point in having a smartwatch if you have smartglasses? The smartglasses make the smartwatch obsolete

What about when I don't want to wear glasses and need a device to take around

Apple making Macbooks that are progressively stripped down and further overpriced.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What about when I don't want to wear glasses and need a device to take around

Why would you ever wear you watch as opposed to your glasses?

Why would you ever wear you watch as opposed to your glasses?

Because I am not a glasses wearer.. the only thing I wear are sunglasses.. when its rarely sunny in England, dont want to sit around in glasses all day for no reason

why would I want annoying glasses on all day even with HUDs and stuff, maybe I just want to chill out but still have a communications device that isnt constantly assaulting my eyeballs - or in sutations when i cannot wear glasses etc

watches. why not pip boys?

Good Idea.

For me it would be...

Phones getting bigger and bigger.

Curved TV's (sorry just don't understand it)

Virtual Reality (was this not around in the 80's?)

Self Driving Cars.

Digital Download being more expensive than physical media (sometimes).

Smart glasses.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C