What is a tech trend going on right now that you just don't understand?

-Curvy > Thin. So many devices that look so damn thin they're going to shatter if they even so much as touch the corner on a counter, or railing. I don't get it. All I see when I look at an iPad is the opportunity for $600 to be whisked away from me as soon as I drop it once.

-Breakout cables are for assholes. No, just don't do it. Oh you're trying to market your device as simple, sleek elegant, and minimalist? How convenient that you barely mention that it needs an octof**ksplittercable with 20 tentacles coming out of it just to plug in peripherals or get remotely decent i/o. Looking right at you new Macbook, Apogee One, etc...

-Smart Watches. Never wore watches before, and them being "smart" isn't a compelling reason to do so now. Half the functionality of my iPhone, yet another device I still have to plug in at night and worry about. Another piece of tech I have to worry about forgetting before I leave the house.

-The constant need to charge things. I remember when my old Razr phone lasted about 4 days on a full charge. My iPhone? Probably 10 hours with limited use. Ridiculous. Battery life should be one of the first things cell phone manufacturers push. You can keep your 4K, hell, even 1080p on my phone. Give me 720p on my sensibly sized smartphone, and better battery life please. Don't even get me started on the whole huge phone fad. Seeing girls walk around my college campus with phones bigger than their one hand or half their head.

-Colored motherboards. I'd think most all PC builders do care somewhat about asthetics, and wouldn't like their yellow MSI gaming motherboard matched up with their red Asus GPU, making for a McDonaldsy mess of colors. Colors should be swappable on everything. I don't know how, but it would seem like you're limiting your sales when you decide "this motherboard is going to have aquamarine and mauve accents on it, screw you if you actually want this amazing piece of tech to match your build. RGB LED's everywhere? Swappable insert plates? I dunno, I just wish it would happen.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Phone resolutions past 1080p 

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Phone resolutions past 1080p 

I can see pixels on my OPO if I try hard enough, and I CAN tell the difference between the 326PPI of the iPhone 6 and the 535PPI of the LG G3.

Plus, 1440p phones tend to use less power than 1080p phones, take the Note 3 and Note 4. The Note 4's screen and processor are both more efficient than the Note 3's, so the 4 gets better battery life despite the higher-resolution screen.

-Curvy > Thin. So many devices that look so damn thin they're going to shatter if they even so much as touch the corner on a counter, or railing. I don't get it. All I see when I look at an iPad is the opportunity for $600 to be whisked away from me as soon as I drop it once.

This

-Breakout cables are for assholes. No, just don't do it. Oh you're trying to market your device as simple, sleek elegant, and minimalist? How convenient that you barely mention that it needs an octof**ksplittercable with 20 tentacles coming out of it just to plug in peripherals or get remotely decent i/o. Looking right at you new Macbook, Apogee One, etc...

LOL, this.

-Smart Watches. Never wore watches before, and them being "smart" isn't a compelling reason to do so now. Half the functionality of my iPhone, yet another device I still have to plug in at night and worry about. Another piece of tech I have to worry about forgetting before I leave the house.

People who DO wear watches every day like me will probably LOVE smartwatches. Stop thinking of smartwatches as replacements for your phone (which is what Apple is sort-of marketing the Watch as, which is wrong and pointless) and start thinking of them as... well, smarter watches. If you're not a watch enthusiast, but want a nice ~$350 watch (my exact situation), why not make it smart? That's why the Moto 360 and Huawei Watch are both so alluring to me, and why the Pebble, Apple Watch and every other square smartwatch isn't.

Also, the battery life argument is ridiculous, charge it every night like a phone. And since a watch is strapped to your body from right after you wake up until right before you go to bed, you'd have to make a conscious effort to leave home without it.

-The constant need to charge things. I remember when my old Razr phone lasted about 4 days on a full charge. My iPhone? Probably 10 hours with limited use. Ridiculous. Battery life should be one of the first things cell phone manufacturers push. You can keep your 4K, hell, even 1080p on my phone. Give me 720p on my sensibly sized smartphone, and better battery life please. 

You own an iPhone, which, unless it's a 6+, are notorious for their bad battery life. My OPO gets 6 1/2 hours of screen-on time and 17 hours of overall battery life with moderate use (no gaming, but a lot of other content consumption such as web pages, email, social media etc). Plus, how hard is it to take two seconds to plug your phone in before bed?

Also:

1. No phones have 4K yet, or else I'd own one
  2. 1080p on any screen below 5.2" isn't enough
  3. As I said above, 2.5K screens are MORE power efficient than 1080p screens

Don't even get me started on the whole huge phone fad. Seeing girls walk around my college campus with phones bigger than their one hand or half their head.

Do you even content consumption bro? Think about it, 99% of things you do on a phone is better on a 5.5"+ screen than a smaller one. After switching from a 3.5" iPhone 4 to a 5.5" OPO, even 5" phones seem too cramped to me. And, despite what the sensationalist media would like to have you believe, if you're above 5'7", even the Nexus 6 will fit in your pocket unless you wear skinny jeans. (If you wear skinny jeans as a man, please stop immediately, and if you do as a women, well, that's what a purse is for)

Its interesting For example, I'm going to college. I need a nnote/Facebook machine basically. So a win based tablet with a keyboard, why make it thick when that's all I need? I'd rather carry around 2lb constantly then 6. Its just irrational to add weigh and size for no reason.

EXACTLY. I want a thin, light tablet with 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, stock Android, an active stylus, a "meh" (just enough to power the internals) processor and GPU and a 8.4" 2560x1600 display for ~$300. WHY CAN'T I GET THIS???

(Though the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is remarkably close to this...)

Wearables and the cloud. Also my SSD did't make my pc faster as much as I hoped.

I've explained why I'm pro-wearable in a previous post in this topic.

I wouldn't want to keep all my photos or Word/Excel/PowerPoint files on my phone, computer or tablet, so I use the 230GB of OneDrive Storage I got for free to sync them across devices while not using up storage on any of them.

My SSD is MILES faster than my HDD.

If I wanted to play a game, I'd play a game. It's simple entertainment, not everything has to add up to something bigger or be meaningful. It lets you jump right into it and watch as long as you want. That's not possible with friends, you can't just play a League of Legend match then quit on them after 20 minutes. Not to mention you can't get to play with the friends you want every time, so it certainly doesn't replace personality.

P.S. That's not really relevant to Twitch, which is pretty much pure LPs.

I personally ain't got time fo dat.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Gaming laptops/heavy laptops in general.

I have a laptop that's around 2 kg and I do not like lugging it to school, I cannot imagine how people lug 2kg+ laptops. If I have a laptop I want something that's portable and easy to carry with me. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Gaming laptops/heavy laptops in general.

I have a laptop that's around 2 kg and I do not like lugging it to school, I cannot imagine how people lug 2kg+ laptops. If I have a laptop I want something that's portable and easy to carry with me. 

I'm not really sure that that's a current trend, I think we're moving more towards the "almost unusably thin" sector of the market with stuff like ASUS' UX305 and Apple's new MacBook Air.

If there's an industry where thinner devices are needed though, I would say the laptop industry. Phones don't need to be thinner, they need better batteries and expansion, stuff that matters.

My trend has to be high-res laptop screens. Windows is pretty crap at scaling already, making a small screen that's high-res doesn't help.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'm not really sure that that's a current trend, I think we're moving more towards the "almost unusably thin" sector of the market with stuff like ASUS' UX305 and Apple's new MacBook Air.

If there's an industry where thinner devices are needed though, I would say the laptop industry. Phones don't need to be thinner, they need better batteries and expansion, stuff that matters.

True, it's less of a trend as something I have seen and dislike ;)

Though TBH, as much as we may complain about IO, most consumers don't care that much for it, it's only us power users that complain. Some ultrabooks do have good IO, like the Dell XPS 13.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

My SSD is MILES faster than my HDD.

Coming from Seagate SSHD's the difference wasn't as night-and-day-ish for me. Also miles are a unit of distance, not speed.

Do you even content consumption, bro?

It seems to me that people who buy those things, content consumption is all they ever do.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Wearing headphones around your neck.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Don't understand why people are still buying Beats by Dre? They've become a status of loyalty but to any tech savy it just shows that they have no sense of music.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz --- RAM: Lenovo 1600MHz 16GB --- MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-G7 --- GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0+--- PSU: Corsair CX600 --- Case: Corsair Air 540 --- Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 --- OS: Windows 8.1 --- Monitor: 24" AOC G2460P + Dell 19" --- Mouse: Logitech MX Perfromance --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Brown) --- Audio: Sennheiser HD558

Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)

Coming from Seagate SSHD's the difference wasn't as night-and-day-ish for me. Also miles are a unit of distance, not speed.

That makes sense. It was to me because I was used my dad's 2008 MacBook which takes 2 1/2 minutes to boot up instead of 12.75 seconds with my new PC (I timed them both, from button press to lock screen).

And about the "MILES faster" comment, it's a common figure of speech, at least in the northeastern US. I know, crazy Americans. I'd personally love to adopt the metric system (and have adopted 24-hour time, or "military" time as the simpletons average Americans call it), but I doubt that would be possible.

It seems to me that people who buy those things, content consumption is all they ever do.

It's also excellent for content creation. It's so much easier to edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents (it would be even better if MS upgraded Office Mobile), photo editing on my PC isn't something I regularly have to do anymore, the light gaming I do on mobile is much more immersive and taking photos and videos is a lot easier due to the larger viewfinder. Typing is awesome, and I can't even do it anymore on a tiny (>4.7") screen without making typos. Maps are easier to see, you can see more of a conversation in Hangouts and more apps fit on the homescreen. Even the old-fashioned phone calls are better because the microphone is closer to you mouth.

I fail to see what use case is hindered when stepping up to a bigger screen.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

For me, the whole smart watch thing just doesn't make any sense. Sure it looks cool, but I think that watches, no matter how technologically advanced they are, are a thing of the past, and are just becoming fashion accessory more than anything. 

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member

That makes sense. It was to me because I was used my dad's 2008 MacBook which takes 2 1/2 minutes to boot up instead of 12.75 seconds with my new PC (I timed them both, from button press to lock screen).

And about the "MILES faster" comment, it's a common figure of speech, at least in the northeastern US. I know, crazy Americans. I'd personally love to adopt the metric system (and have adopted 24-hour time, or "military" time as the simpletons average Americans call it), but I doubt that would be possible.

It's also excellent for content creation. It's so much easier to edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents (it would be even better if MS upgraded Office Mobile), photo editing on my PC isn't something I regularly have to do anymore, the light gaming I do on mobile is much more immersive and taking photos and videos is a lot easier due to the larger viewfinder. Typing is awesome, and I can't even do it anymore on a tiny (>4.7") screen without making typos. Maps are easier to see, you can see more of a conversation in Hangouts and more apps fit on the homescreen. Even the old-fashioned phone calls are better because the microphone is closer to you mouth.

I fail to see what use case is hindered when stepping up to a bigger screen.

The miles thing was just part of my dry humour.

I get big screens. Thing about screen sizes for mobile though is that I use my phone as a phone and a music player, and little else. It needs to be tiny and take up little space when I'm not using it, because in my pockets there are also a wallet, keys and usually some tools and other stuff as well. A bigger screen is likely to get damaged.

More importantly though, I think even a big phone is too small for these other tasks you mention and I prefer using a proper computer for those things. If that means I can't do it on the go that's alright - I can make up for lost time at home. Of course, that's merely my opinion and yours is different. That's alright. You say a bigger screen makes a given task easier on a phone and you are correct. I just think these things shouldn't be done on a phone at all, big or small.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Wearables. I get why they exist but still. I'm happy the "fitness" and "exercise" part of tech is gone, especially things like that stupid heart beat sensor on the galaxy s5

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Smart-Watches.  

I'll understand it once their battery life improves.  I rarely take off my watch so I know I will forget.

Wearing headphones around your neck.

Never got that either, especially when you can still hear the music playing.

Gaming laptops.  Seriously, I fail to understand how $1,500 on a computer that still can't max games out at 1080p is a good investment, even if you're on the move.  I doubt there's a single gamer in the world who wouldn't get more use out of an $800 ITX/HTPC build they can transport easily if need be, a $150 chromebook for when needed, and a spare $500 in the bank.  Because who the hell whips out their laptop when waiting at the DMV for a good game of CS:GO to try and get their Nova 3.

Laptop screen resolutions as well.  Because there's nothing I want more with my $1,500 laptop that runs as well as a 280x than a 3k screen so I can either deal with downsampling, or run everything at 20fps. 

I'm thoroughly convinced not a single person buying a gaming laptop actually pays for their own laptop.

Smart watches, VR, majority of new "consumer drones", majority of fitness wearables / software, voice control, smart tvs, phones that all seem to have displays over 5 inches.  

Good Idea.

For me it would be...

Phones getting bigger and bigger.

Curved TV's (sorry just don't understand it)

Virtual Reality (was this not around in the 80's?)

Self Driving Cars.

Digital Download being more expensive than physical media (sometimes).

Smart glasses.

To understand curved TV's you have to see one in person :D I wouldn't buy one, but they do look pretty!  

chromebooks.  I can do all that shit on my (arguably oversized) smartphone - and I can keep it in my pocket.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

People buying consoles, period. PC FTW

Well consoles do have exclusives and as far as I am concerned the Wii-U is the best option for consoles at the moment. We are all gamers and there is no need for ignorance I wish all games are cross platform but they are not so I have to choose a console that I would like to play as well.  

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

I don't understand Smart Watches either. I haven't worn one since I started carrying a cell phone, and definitely haven't used one since I switched to a smart phone.

Also I don't see the appeal with Apple anymore. They haven't been "true" Apple since they stopped making their own unique hardware in the early 2000's and switched to plain Intel parts. What's the point? You're paying a ridiculous premium for what amounts to a fancy stripped down aluminum chassis with a somewhat useful OS that barely evolve. What's the point? Go out and buy a $400 laptop and a copy of Mac OS.

Bam.

Done.

End rant.

Also.. AMD. Get your shit together. You used to be cool man what happened to you? We want the Athlon 64 AMD back, the guys who went nuts and created something kickass then ran out of steam.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.