Anonymous attacks ISIS websites and social media accounts

Sauron

I haven't seen any posts on this, hopefully it's not a repost :P

A group of hackers under the flag of Anonymous has attacked and taken down a large number of websites and social media accounts that were related to ISIS, the newborn "Islamic state" known for decapitating prisoners on cameras and sponsoring terrorist actions against european targets. The attacks used were DDoS, password cracking, phishing and "others". According to local news in my country many ISIS system administrators have been exposed and indicated to the authorities by Anonymous.

The militant Islamist organisation has a huge social media presence, with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
Through Operation ISIS - #OpISIS - the decentralised hacking group has been strategically targeting this online presence.
"ISIS, we will hunt you, take down your sites, accounts, emails and expose you," says the hacktivist group in a statement.
"You will be treated like a virus, and we are the cure. We own the internet."
In the Anonymous digital armoury are distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks, which hammer ISIS websites with traffic until they go offline, and repeatedly reporting social media accounts so they get suspended.
Other "weapons" used in #OpISIS include password cracking and phishing.

-edit-

Forgot the sources :P

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/anonymous-hacktivists-attack-isis---5130966

http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/anonymous-isis-cyber-attack.html

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Good job Anonymous.

Sad when a group of hackers takes ISIS more seriously as a threat than our own president does.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think that social media is really important for those idiots so yeah good to go, but hacking some drones would be way better :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Noice. always awesome to see Anonymous doing stuff like this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good job Anonymous.

Sad when a group of hackers takes ISIS more seriously as a threat than our own president does.

Why would they when they are the ones who started ISIS and armed them in the first place lul

Always loved Anon's video's lul

While it's good to see groups like Anonymous taking action against ISIS, it's impossible for them to keep up a sustained attack, so the sites they take down do come back up after a little while. Governments should start following Anonymous' steps and carry out much larger scale, sustained attacks on ISIS social media to keep the sites down for long periods of time. 

While it's good to see groups like Anonymous taking action against ISIS, it's impossible for them to keep up a sustained attack, so the sites they take down do come back up after a little while. Governments should start following Anonymous' steps and carry out much larger scale, sustained attacks on ISIS social media to keep the sites down for long periods of time. 

That's true, however they have also exposed and turned in a boat load of system administrators, those people who would actually be in charge of getting the websites back online. This should at least slow them down significantly.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is great but the sites will be back after a little while or new attacks created, I hope the attacks continues forever, it's nice to see the anonymous knows that ISIS don't represent Islam and know little about Islam.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Anon certainly is involved, but they don't seem to be the only ones.  Facebook and Twitter are taking down pages and accounts, and according to my local news site there's a high probability that government agencies are also on the offensive.

True, ISIS may be able to create new sites and accounts, but they'll be harder to find than th ones that are taken down.  That reduces the likelyhood of youths radicalising and joining ISIS.

Either way, it took Anon long enough to get their act together.  Back when MegaUpload was taken don they retaliated the same day, now it took them quite a bit longer.  In fact I posted about their announcement over a month ago

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/287841-anonymous-going-after-terrorist-groups/

Anon certainly is involved, but they don't seem to be the only ones.  Facebook and Twitter are taking down pages and accounts, and according to my local news site there's a high probability that government agencies are also on the offensive.

True, ISIS may be able to create new sites and accounts, but they'll be harder to find than th ones that are taken down.  That reduces the likelyhood of youths radicalising and joining ISIS.

<sarcasm> But Facebook, Twitter, other big companies and the government are all evil, they're only doing it for their own profit. </sarcasm>

Either way, it took Anon long enough to get their act together.  Back when MegaUpload was taken don they retaliated the same day, now it took them quite a bit longer.  In fact I posted about their announcement over a month ago

Well, it takes longer to find information about specific websites rather than randomly retaliating against well known infrastructures.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why would they when they are the ones who started ISIS and armed them in the first place lul

Always loved Anon's video's lul

Careful, someone is liable to call you a tinfoil hatter

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm good with this, it's better then what the United s are doing, as far as we know.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Yus! Fight the fundamental extremists!

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Glad to see them helping out how they can. I just wish they had picked a better name, something meaningful like "Operation De-Icer".

First the KKK, now ISIS? You go Anonymous! :D

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Good job Anonymous.

And does a better job at identifying them....

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

There shouldn't even be social media accounts to take down, shame on Twitter, Google, Facebook etc for not nuking these accounts as soon as they pop up.

Excellent work. Interested to see how the government responds to this.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

If we really wanted the IS done, we would stop buying their oil

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans