Is AMD dead?

asim1999

Do you think AMD is now dead for both the CPU and GPU market and why?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

not really. if anything they are stronger now than they have been in a long time. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

not really. if anything they are stronger now than they have been in a long time. 

Really?, they lost like $360 million in their last quarter

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Kinda think that the new GPUs could be their last chance to really kick NVIDIAs butts, otherwise they will still be there for fans and so, but only for GPUs CPUs are done for the high end market

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

No. They're still kicking ass in GPUs. CPUs... Not so much. FMx platforms are doing well.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

how do you think they are funding the next line of graphic cards and APU's? monopoly money? they have to build them first, and that costs money.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

No, this is a poll

They have awesome GPUs from what I've seen and hella cheap CPUs

They are far from dead

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

No. GPU's of them are very much alive, CPU's are not as good.. So yeah..

Not dead

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do you think AMD is now dead for both the CPU and GPU market and why?

Defiantly not! I have an AMD CPU and it is brilliant! Plus their R9 300 series is going to revolutionize the graphics card industry and get AMD back on their feet in the GPU industry.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

For multiple screens, AMD still win over Nvidia. For higher resolutions (before the 9xx series, at least) AMD generally came out tops. They're just being a little slow at releasing a new line of GPUs. The Rx 2xx series doesn't stand up too well against the 9xx series from Nvidia, but then half the GPUs in it are 3 years old.

As for the CPU side of things... I don't really have any comments, but they're not doing too well.

Overall, AMD are still in the game. We'll see how well it turns out in the long run, though.

Defiantly not! I have an AMD CPU and it is brilliant! Plus their R9 300 series is going to revolutionize the graphics card industry and get AMD back on their feet in the GPU industry.

Well the 8350 is way outdated (PCI 2.0 rqather than 3.0) and IDK about the GPUs

AMD is far from dead in both the CPU and the GPU department. However, I feel that both Intel and Nvidia has a very big lead on them.

I get the feeling that Nvidia only price the 900-series the way they do because they can. "Does it perform like a $200 AMD card? Lets price it at $200 then."

And when it comes to CPU's, then AMD is really lacking on the higher-end. Intel is getting a firmer grip on the that section the more time passes.

And if you compare the process that they are both using, Intel is currently at 14nm with their Broadwell CPU's. And I can't remember where AMD is at, but I think that they are on 28nm? This makes it much cheaper for Intel to produce CPU's.

I really want AMD to pull through, I really do. But at this point they are so far behind that I do not know what will happen. I would love to see how the upcoming GPU's will perform like.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

companies always lose alot when they have something in the works. ;)

even if they did lose it and erent getting it back i dont believe theyre dead. not for a long time.

i have a slight feeling it will still be a while till we get another killer CPU from them, but it will happen, and the 390x and 380x are just barely visible over the horizon! :D

This post reminds of people that said pc gaming was dead. in the early 2000´s.

i still hear people saying that.

turns out more people are pc gamers now than ever. :P

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Many PC enthusiasts seem to believe that they're the only demographic that matters... Profoundly egotistical and pompous people.

i still hear people saying that.

turns out more people are pc gamers now than ever. :P

Next gen consoles have been a great advertisements for people to buy gaming pcs.

Many PC enthusiasts seem to believe that they're the only demographic that matters... Profoundly egotistical and pompous people.

Says the pompous cat with a crown xD

Next gen consoles have been a great advertisements for people to buy gaming pcs.

Why are people still calling them next-gen 15 months after release though, they were already previous gen before their release... =_=

Says the pompous cat with a crown xD

It is I.