Do you really need expensive "top tier" branded gaming peripherals?

So for the past 3 months I've been using relatively cheap gaming equipment, specifically a locally branded mouse and keyboard combo that I bought for Php 420 (That's approx. $9 for both. Mouse has about 2400 DPI maximum). And I've been relatively happy with them save for the somewhat weird functioning space bar that I never really use in gaming (I use the scroll wheel, which is actually super great, to jump in fps games).

I now ask the question which is on the title of this topic. Why do many gamers use super expensive gear? Is it just for show? Is super high mouse DPI really necessary to improve your aim? Are Cherry MX keys really that worth it? (I have no knowledge of what the point is of Cherry MX something keys though, any guide would be appreciated) Do branded equipment last relatively longer?

To be honest, I'm asking these since I recently realized I've saved up enough to buy the "higher grade" branded peripherals (SteelSeries, Razer, Mionix, Corsair etc.) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to splurge on them...

(PS. don't even get me started about $30 mouse mats.)

(PSS. For the heck of it, I put pics. To show you what I'm working with)

post-184661-0-86249700-1421585189_thumb.

post-184661-0-76794900-1421585208_thumb.

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth it, but I don'y really mind "bad" mice, I can pretty much use anything

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I feel like I got what I paid for with my razer peripherals and am happy with the quality, aesthetics etc . Plus the DeathAdder is the most comfortable thing ever.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Not really, I kinda learned to prefer cheaper peripherals. Also, quite a few pro gamers use shitty peripherals, a brand new 150$ mouse won't make you aim better and that brand new mechanical keyboard won't make your fingers work faster so it's just a matter of comfort I guess. I prefer keyboards with multimedia buttons, doesn't matter which brand and how much it costs. :)

So for the past 3 months I've been using relatively cheap gaming equipment, specifically a locally branded mouse and keyboard combo that I bought for Php 420 (That's approx. $9 for both. Mouse has about 2400 DPI maximum). And I've been relatively happy with them save for the somewhat weird functioning space bar that I never really use in gaming (I use the scroll wheel, which is actually super great, to jump in fps games).

I now ask the question which is on the title of this topic. Why do many gamers use super expensive gear? Is it just for show? Is super high mouse DPI really necessary to improve your aim? Are Cherry MX keys really that worth it? (I have no knowledge of what the point is of Cherry MX something keys though, any guide would be appreciated) Do branded equipment last relatively longer?

To be honest, I'm asking these since I recently realized I've saved up enough to buy the "higher grade" branded peripherals (SteelSeries, Razer, Mionix, Corsair etc.) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to splurge on them...

(PS. don't even get me started about $30 mouse mats.)

(PSS. For the heck of it, I put pics. To show you what I'm working with)

I bought a 15 dollar (super big Asus Strix) mousepad yesterday (No ragrets).

I believe some brands are a little overpriced for their gaming  peripherals (I'm looking at you Razer..), but some are decently priced.

Steelseries and CM Storm make some quality gaming stuff for less than other game companies (granted, not 9 dollars..)

The quality and durability is probably very different though 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth it. Switched from a cheap rubber-dome ebay keyboard to MX blues and its SO FREAKIN GOOD. As for the mouse... well, you certainly don't need a $100 mouse for gaming, but the higher-end ones have a much nicer feel to them than the cheap ones. The DPI-thing is mostly marketing.

are they REALLY NEEDED....no

are they nice to have? yes - for example getting a better mouse they generally track better to cheaper ones, and a nicer keyboard etc gives a much nicer feeling, mechanicals keys have a tactile feel to them so its easier to know when a button is pressed

They are a luxury, the priority is getting your PC specs correct, second monitor, sound and microphone, then after all that is good, you can spend money on a good keyboard and mouse

Its like buying a nice car and having normal static cloth seats replaced with electronic ajustable leather sets, they just feel nicer and look nicer, and have a big better functionality 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not really, I kinda learned to prefer cheaper peripherals. Also, quite a few pro gamers use shitty peripherals, a brand new 150$ mouse won't make you aim better and that brand new mechanical keyboard won't make your fingers work faster so it's just a matter of comfort I guess. I prefer keyboards with multimedia buttons, doesn't matter which brand and how much it costs. :)

Yeah I've heard of a few pros with cheap gears. It just seems weird that they go for those when they probably have tons of money or something.

I bought a 15 dollar (super big Asus Strix) mousepad yesterday (No ragrets).

I believe some brands are a little overpriced for their gaming  peripherals (I'm looking at you Razer..), but some are decently priced.

Steelseries and CM Storm make some quality gaming stuff for less than other game companies (granted, not 9 dollars..)

The quality and durability is probably very different though 

Good for you. Currently waiting for my super huge mouse mat as well. (Costs more than my mouse and keyboard really) No ragrets either.

As for Razer, their equipment's expensive AND quite shittier than other brands. What the hell...

Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth it. Switched from a cheap rubber-dome ebay keyboard to MX blues and its SO FREAKIN GOOD. As for the mouse... well, you certainly don't need a $100 mouse for gaming, but the higher-end ones have a much nicer feel to them than the cheap ones. The DPI-thing is mostly marketing.

Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth it, but I don'y really mind "bad" mice, I can pretty much use anything

What makes the mechanical keyboards feel really good though? I've always thought all keyboards worked and felt the same way?

Peripherals

What makes the mechanical keyboards feel really good though? I've always thought all keyboards worked and felt the same way?

Felt? You haven't tried typing on multiple types of keyboards. They do feel very different. Some people refer blues, browns, reds, or even non-mechanical switches. It is all about what you think feels best. A good keyboard is not necessary for anybody though. Just nice to have

As for mice I CAN'T STAND CRAPPY MICE. I personally notice a garbage sensor or mouse acceleration instantly. Bad mice can actually be detrimental to the experience.

Felt? You haven't tried typing on multiple types of keyboards. They do feel very different. Some people refer blues, browns, reds, or even non-mechanical switches. It is all about what you think feels best. A good keyboard is not necessary for anybody though. Just nice to have

As for mice I CAN'T STAND CRAPPY MICE. I personally notice a garbage sensor or mouse acceleration instantly. Bad mice can actually be detrimental to the experience.

Hmm...that's the thing. Up till now I still have no idea what is with all the different Cherry colors and which ones are best for me. I've done some research on them but it's still confusing...

Peripherals

Yeah I've heard of a few pros with cheap gears. It just seems weird that they go for those when they probably have tons of money or something.

It is what they feel comfortable with. I mean, for FPS I'm used to my mouse and I wouldn't change it because the new one would feel different and respond different, wouldn't be the same shape so I would have to waste time adjusting to it.

Same would go with anything. I'm used to driving my car, I have access to my brothers car which is nicer, faster, has all the equipment that can be bought with it, and I can drive it any time I'd like, but I still drive my car which is roughly 1/4th of the comfort and equipment but I'm used to it and I prefer it! :D

Good for you. Currently waiting for my super huge mouse mat as well. (Costs more than my mouse and keyboard really) No ragrets either.

As for Razer, their equipment's expensive AND quite shittier than other brands. What the hell...

The mat I bought is super big (mouse only, not for with my keyboard) and it's all I need.. I have a cheap 12 year old Microsoft mouse with it, as I don't care that much about mice..

I am looking into getting a mechanical keyboard, because they type SOOOO well. (Probably something Steelseries...)

Razer is indeed expensive and often not as good

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is what they feel comfortable with. I mean, for FPS I'm used to my mouse and I wouldn't change it because the new one would feel different and respond different, wouldn't be the same shape so I would have to waste time adjusting to it.

Same would go with anything. I'm used to driving my car, I have access to my brothers car which is nicer, faster, has all the equipment that can be bought with it, and I can drive it any time I'd like, but I still drive my car which is roughly 1/4th of the comfort and equipment but I'm used to it and I prefer it! :D

Well I can understand that. People have different tastes.

Peripherals

Its really hard to explain, its just awesome. You have this really tactile "click", it feels mechanical. Incredibly satisfying.

Its really hard to explain, its just awesome. You have this really tactile "click", it feels mechanical. Incredibly satisfying.

I see. Looks like I might wanna invest in one for a future upgrade.

Peripherals

I bought a 10$ logitech keyboard, works fine for me..before that was some dell keyboard...again worked fine

though other night I tried a Razer Blackwidow...wow, surprised how well it improved my typing speed and such, so feel it is very worth it..my mouse is like a 5year g500 logitech though it has problems due to age..its so comfy in my palm to use it will be hard to ever get rid of it

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

A decent keyboard for me is a must now. So on the keyboard front that is well worth the ~100 dollars you might spend on a mechanical one.

With mice it's a little bit more tricky. I myself need a mouse with back/forward buttons. And after I got used to my Logitech G500, I couldn't use a mouse without a free-spinning mouse wheel :(

But do you need all of that? The simple answer is no. Hell, I loved my Dell keyboard for the many years that I used it. One of the better membrane keyboards out there. But I still stand with what I said for mice, that back/forward button is a must.

Expensive keyboards are more useful for comfortable use than for actual accuracy or speed (although my cheap keyboard sometimes skips inputs and makes me mad, I think that's due to the fact that I smash keys when I type), mice can  be more accurate when you move up the line but spending over 50$ on one doesn't make a lot of sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It really depends on what you do. If you do a lot of typing then I'd say buy a mechanical keyboard. If you're really into gaming then get a decent mouse and mouse pad.

There's an upper limit to everything though, happy hacking keyboards seem to be for people with too much money for instance.

But then again, you don't miss what you've never had, so maybe wait until something breaks.

I see. Looks like I might wanna invest in one for a future upgrade.

I'd definitely recommend it. Can't speak for MX reds, but blues and browns are amazing. 

I usually go for something mid tier ($25 - $100 at most) that looks good in my eyes and feels comfortable & easy to use

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I usually go for something mid tier ($25 - $100 at most) that looks good in my eyes and feels comfortable & easy to use

Looks like we're on the same page here. I can't really care at all about brands if I tried. It's all about price:performance and quality for me.

Peripherals

Looks like we're on the same page here. I can't really care at all about brands if I tried. It's all about price:performance and quality for me.

yep, totally agree with you, what peripherals do you have right now? heres what I have

Mouse: G502 Proteus Core (bought for $75)

Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K50 (bought for $85 and yes, it is a membrane keyboard, please sue me :P)

Headphone: Audio Technica CKM55 (bought for >$100 but is given to me by my dad, not bought by me)

Mousepad: Corsair Cloth mouse pad ($10)

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen